What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by EBuff75 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:38 pm

Bought some tote bins to do some organizing. Without even planning to do so, I bought the exact same one that I use in the back of my Suburban. Didn't even realize it until I loaded the new ones in there, at which point I started laughing. It appears that I'm fairly consistent with my likes/dislikes! :)

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:45 pm

I buzzed my hair & shaved my beard off, should I need to don/clear a mask or respirator. Also, I found 2 N95 masks & 2 P-100 masks.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:57 pm

Got re-certified in ARC Adult First Aid/CPR/AED.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:59 pm

Inventoried that BOB gear than I kept in the van. Replaced expired items. Made several lists for needed items as I've changed vehicle types. Purchased 1st Aid items & BugaWoo battle-rattle.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:46 pm

- Booked in for a first aid course
- finally put all my fire and rescue gear away
now I'm sitting here going through a box of junk, sorting and getting rid of stuff
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

Ever

Post by Ever » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:23 pm

Today I picked up;
-enough lentils, couscous, split peas, green tea, dehydrated refried beans, canned goods, rice, ginger tea, and dried white & pinto beans to add at least 6 weeks to my existing food preps in a bug in or building quarantine.

When we had a covid-19 possibility some weeks back our city emptied the shelves of simple surgical masks. (I do have 142 stored), but...

-today I picked up 90 'dollar store' masks for $9 to supplement my own mask preps. I imagine they won't turn out to be worth their 10 cent cost... but in a pinch, with some improvising.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

as COVID-19 moves closer to my large apartment building I am observing the reasons why the likelihood of my surviving this Event is growing increasingly remote: The building would more aptly be named Ship Of Fools Apartments. Offering a head size bucket of sand with every new lease.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:16 pm

Bought some N95 masks and nitrile gloves at Harbor Freight. Not for me, those have been part of my preps for some time now. But I'm close to a couple of families who are not particularly into prepping. They have kids and if there were to be a viral cluster in our area, the first thing that would happen is they'd shut down the schools.

Without deep preps, those parents are going to have to get out at least weekly for basic supplies. I wouldn't want them traveling about in a hot zone without at least some protection.

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 pm

I’m looking at eliminating discretionary spending and setting up a cash reserve to cover our expenses for at least two weeks.

I work as a contractor at a very large government agency located near the beltway, with almost 5000 people in the building, we would be a prime location to be shut down to break a potential transmission chain.

If we don’t plug in the hours, we don’t get paid. The nature of the work can’t be done from home.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:24 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 pm
I’m looking at eliminating discretionary spending and setting up a cash reserve to cover our expenses for at least two weeks.
I am doing this. I find it the hardest, but the most effective, change to make.

Good luck Evan.

Ever

Post by Ever » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:30 am

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:17 pm
Thanks foe reminding me.

Today I:
-added 3 boxes tissues

-added 5 cans of spinach

-added another 50 laytex gloves

-inventoried and priced replacement OTCs & nutrient supplements for next month's budgeting of prep additions.

-began pulling together (from all my storage hidieholes) my 5 years (since the ebola zombies were out and about) of slowly increasing the collection of grocery bags, to be possibly used for head, shoe, and hand protection if needed.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

as COVID-19 moves closer to my large apartment building I am observing the reasons why the likelihood of my surviving this Event is growing increasingly remote: The building would more aptly be named Ship Of Fools Apartments. Offering a head size bucket of sand with every new lease.

HarlequinHal

Post by HarlequinHal » Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:22 am

Added 10 lbs ea of rice and mixed beans to my stores, vacuum sealed and in plastic tubs. Also added some salt and assorted canned vegetables to the pantry. Still need to make a run to get some canned meats like SPAM. It's not my favorite but has a long shelf life and is easy to prepare.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:12 pm

I applied for work.

newworldvagabond

Post by newworldvagabond » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:43 pm

Added about a month worth of food storage. Got some extra goodies for the truck

AlexanderPain
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead TV Show
Shawn of the Dead
Juan of the Dead
I am Legend

Post by AlexanderPain » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 pm

Tonight, I loaded up on cleaning supplies: Lysol spray, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizer, cleaners, and wipes, etc. I also got an extra case of water and some nitrile gloves. Masks were sold out at my local drug store. I'm fortunate enough to be 100% work from home and we do pretty good about avoiding crowds and shopping off peak.
People were once divided into hundreds of groups, but now there are just two: the living and the dead.
Check out my blog: https://worldsofpain.blogspot.com/
I've just published my first Zombie Novel: Zombie Complex - The Battle for Chattahoochee Run - http://amzn.to/2xMc8KE

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:08 am

Bought a couple pounds each of rice and beans and various canned things.

Actually went to the hardware store for masks, for their purported intended use (I need to do some sanding and painting), and apparently if they can get any, someone'll come by and purchase everything they have. Including reusable masks; I've been thinking about one for the shop anyway.

AlexanderPain
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead TV Show
Shawn of the Dead
Juan of the Dead
I am Legend

Post by AlexanderPain » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:14 am

A doctor on the evening news here in Atlanta was downplaying the importance of masks by saying that people would likely wear them for too long or contaminate them by touching them after touching a contaminated surface. I may still see if I can round up something.
People were once divided into hundreds of groups, but now there are just two: the living and the dead.
Check out my blog: https://worldsofpain.blogspot.com/
I've just published my first Zombie Novel: Zombie Complex - The Battle for Chattahoochee Run - http://amzn.to/2xMc8KE

M813

Post by M813 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:42 am

We already had weeks of food but I sent the wife out to buy more, including dry staples with long shelf lives as well as sanitizing supplies.

Here's a tip: If you're looking for latex gloves and pharmacies and grocery stores are out of stock, the blue nitrile automotive work gloves at autoparts stores will work. Also, boating supply stores carry latex gloves for working with epoxy resins.

I'm really dubious about the effectiveness of masks but I will probably pick up a small supply of N95's. I actually have an M40 CBR mask but I'm low on canisters. Although it's effective against biological agents, I'm not sure how it would fair against CoVID19.

I'm not expecting utility outages but our solar array has us covered in that eventuality.

Hm...I'm thinking I'd better fill my diesel and gasoline jugs...not because I expect supply disruptions but more to prevent having to interact with the public and touching fuel pump handles.

If we just don't feel like being anywhere near this mess, we are prepared to evac by water for an extended period of time.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:53 am

M813 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:42 am
We already had weeks of food but I sent the wife out to buy more, including dry staples with long shelf lives as well as sanitizing supplies.

Here's a tip: If you're looking for latex gloves and pharmacies and grocery stores are out of stock, the blue nitrile automotive work gloves at autoparts stores will work. Also, boating supply stores carry latex gloves for working with epoxy resins.

I'm really dubious about the effectiveness of masks but I will probably pick up a small supply of N95's. I actually have an M40 CBR mask but I'm low on canisters. Although it's effective against biological agents, I'm not sure how it would fair against CoVID19.

I'm not expecting utility outages but our solar array has us covered in that eventuality.

Hm...I'm thinking I'd better fill my diesel and gasoline jugs...not because I expect supply disruptions but more to prevent having to interact with the public and touching fuel pump handles.

If we just don't feel like being anywhere near this mess, we are prepared to evac by water for an extended period of time.
You know this bears repeating. We are talking about a virus comparable to common cold. Surgical grade gloves and N-95 masks should be part of every bodies preps . But for this you could more than likely get away with a large bandanna or shemagh, sunglasses or shooting glasses and mechanics gloves. , The gloves could just be dipped in disinfectant when you get home.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:58 am

AlexanderPain wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:59 pm
Tonight, I loaded up on cleaning supplies: Lysol spray, antibacterial wipes, hand sanitizer, cleaners, and wipes, etc. I also got an extra case of water and some nitrile gloves. Masks were sold out at my local drug store. I'm fortunate enough to be 100% work from home and we do pretty good about avoiding crowds and shopping off peak.
Same work situation here, and stocked up on more antiseptic/disinfectant supplies too mostly because I feel the need to do something - but there's not much we need or need to do. Sheltering in place and being able to avoid contact with others plays to our preparedness strengths; rural, off grid, and pretty deeply stocked on food, water, and fuel. The only question for us is when do we lock the gates and not leave the property, and I don't have a solid answer to that or I'd have posted it in the other thread on that subject.

One thing I am going to work on this weekend is putting together some pandemic "care packages" for our overflow housing. We can shelter and quarantine two groups of city-dwelling family and friends if needed, and with as much press as CoVid-19 is getting it's possible some may ask to stay with us before this is over. Some additional food, HT radio and charger, batteries, OTC cold/flu meds, and thermometers for sure. Still deciding on what else, but want to be able to pre-place the supplies before they arrive so they'll have immediate needs covered and I can go over the quarantine plan with them (remotely).

PistolPete
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by PistolPete » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:35 pm

Pretty set on supplies, but I did some cardio today. Because rule 1.

Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

M813

Post by M813 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:37 pm

The forum software here really needs to be updated so I can give a "like" or a "thumbsup" to this. :)

I am laughing and face-palming today because people who thought I was crazy for stockpiling a little food and band-aids are now asking me for advice.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:50 pm

M813 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:37 pm

I am laughing and face-palming today because people who thought I was crazy for stockpiling a little food and band-aids are now asking me for advice.
That tends to happen. Then, later, when the disaster passes, most go on back bliss and forget they ever prepared.

When hurricanes come, people buy generators. After the hurricane, they try to return them. Especially if "they didn't use it."
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:09 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:50 pm
M813 wrote:
That tends to happen. Then, later, when the disaster passes, most go on back bliss and forget they ever prepared. When hurricanes come, people buy generators. After the hurricane, they try to return them. Especially if "they didn't use it."
:mrgreen:

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:29 pm

M813 wrote:
The forum software here really needs to be updated so I can give a "like" or a "thumbsup" to this. :)
Current versions of phpBB3 have removed that feature.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”