What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZScott

Post by ZScott » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:55 am

Been working on my BoB and SHTF gear. Got some new molle stuff. And Found some interesting stuff for the BoB and SHTF Gear. Some day Ill get off my lazy butt and take pics then post them.

Been doing a half hour to hours worth of exersize every morning, also starting riding bike to and from work today. Its about 3 miles one way. Which also reminds me to get my GHB/Daily carry orginzed for biking.
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.
Just Trying to Pass on some Wisdom.
Anyone who thinks any sort of PAW will be glamorous, fun, or exciting... has dramatic reality issues.

southalabama

Post by southalabama » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:45 pm

The local Wally World had a sale on 20lb bags of rice for $3.50..............20 lbs of rice will go along way

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:39 pm

I got my CPR certification today and found a local hiking buddy, I hope.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

invicta

Post by invicta » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:28 am

Bought a cheapo closed-cell camping mattress yesterday to compliment my air-filled Exped mattress in cold conditions. Bought an emergency-blanket (the thin aluminum-type), the I should add to my EDC.
I also bought a magnesium/firesteel-set. I'm going to make a small hacksaw-blade knife to go with it, as soon as I have the time.
Sato verta taivahasta / Puna hiekan kasteli / Aukes silmät mullan alla / Nyrkkiin koura kipristyy / Liha hauras voimistui / Kasvo nahka luihen päälle / Heräs maasta musta mieli / Paha ilma keuhkot täyttää

jamoni
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by jamoni » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:18 pm

Cleaned and oiled all my guns while watching Firefly. :)
JoergS wrote:Realistically, I think I can launch a nine pound chain saw at 50 fps from a shoulder mounted rubber powered bazooka...
squinty wrote:I reserve the right to yell "Dookyhole!" - or it's Hebrew equivalent if such a thing exists - whilst dispensing a barrage of palm strikes at my opponent.

Valekhai

Post by Valekhai » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:31 pm

Over the past few days I bought a punch of canned food, 2 fire extinguishers (1 for the apartment and a small one for the car), got my car fixed (hole in the exhaust, was killing my gas mileage), and got a new EDC knife (CRKT M16-10KZ).
I'm guarding the hooooouuuuuse.

Indiana

Post by Indiana » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:41 am

Well my 8 year old son has watched an ancient firemaking methods disc daily since it arrived and today found a straight stick and asked me to cut it to size. We now have a hand drill. No coal as yet, but the tip gets HOT when it is spun on the hearthboard.

Last night I also put him in charge of making a firelay, which he did perfectly, he then gathered a handful of dried grass and made a tinder bundle, then had a go with the firesteel. He managed to strike a spark, without much accuracy as yet, but early days. He did get one into the tinder, but I couldn't get in quick enough to blow it to flame. With me guiding his hands for the next try we had fire in about a minute. Boiled a billy and had pot noodles sitting in the back yard.

I've now had to have a chat about when we practice fire and who HAS to be with him when he does it to prevent the house burning down lol.

Also used an old flannelette shirt to make char cloth, works nicely with the fresnel lens, works just as well with a firesteel, I'll chuck the tin in the ute box for "justin" lol.

All this and chocky too, not a bad Easter.

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:24 pm

yesterday, I bought some new-to-me "luggage" and picked up 25 more small ammo cans, since I was out of empties.
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

Oregon

Post by Oregon » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:33 pm

Picked up a used but like new 23,000 BTU kerosene heater off of Craigslist. $25 and it included a 5 gallon fuel can. The can alone sells for about half of what I paid for the heater.

herbalpagan

Post by herbalpagan » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:43 am

We paid off all of the credit cards. I also started some more seeds and the ones I started last week have sprouted (yeah! baby tomatoes) and we got the seed started unit's lights working so the starts have a home to live that helps them grow. :D
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/shtfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

XtraBright

Post by XtraBright » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:36 am

After reading all those aquaculture posts i will try my hands on it this year.

Got 2 big and used 3m pipes and cut them in half. Washed them with HD pressure cleaner, connected them, project stopped because auf heavy snowfall.

Will work on the attachment for the tractor to lay water hoses in the earth without shoveling. I have srap iron, a welder and an idea.

tilt

Post by tilt » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:28 am

Got my appendix taken out... One less thing to malfunction when the dead rise...
Murphy is my Co-Pilot

invicta

Post by invicta » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:11 am

Ordered MTech rescue knives for me and Saunterer. Shipping from the States, so it'll take some time until they're here.

http://i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/d4/b6/8658_1.JPG
Sato verta taivahasta / Puna hiekan kasteli / Aukes silmät mullan alla / Nyrkkiin koura kipristyy / Liha hauras voimistui / Kasvo nahka luihen päälle / Heräs maasta musta mieli / Paha ilma keuhkot täyttää

MS8725

Post by MS8725 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:24 am

Got a new ruck and restocked my med bag.
“The weight of this sad time we must obey;
Speak what we feel, not what we ought to say."-Edgar, King Lear

pyratemime

Post by pyratemime » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:49 am

Started my new physical fitness routine. Tomorrow I start leading PT for my squadron.

Also just timed myself on a 2 mile, 13:47. Not great but sub 14 is what I was shooting for so I am not to unhappy.

"It wouldn't hurt you people to think like a serial killer every now and again. You know just for the sake of prevention!" - Foamy the Squirrel
DaJoker wrote:In regards to us "normal" humans... well that's why its best to follow pyratemime's advice.

SkullGirl

Post by SkullGirl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:26 am

Yesterday, I purchased a Coleman 3 person tent ($49.99) and a lantern ($14.99) at work (Costco).
- Bacon is like a little hug from GOD

SMoAF
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by SMoAF » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:51 pm

Ordered another 2400 rounds of centerfire rifle ammo in spam cans this morning. USPS brought me a few (27, IIRC) 30 round mags for the supressed Ruger 10/22, including one in blaze orange (WTF?!?!). I guess they ran out of Smoke. UPS brought another 15 assorted Glock mags, from that source (Botach) people love to hate. Hey, they were dirt cheap, and it took less than a week to get them. They look good, too.

In a few minutes, I'm gonna go and consolidate my ready AK mags. A friend gave me back a loaned AK w/mags over Easter (apparently, he's no longer worried about Jesus coming to get him. I'm not so ready to count Jesus out. After all, I STILL haven't "stepped on" the body...;) ), so I gotta clean it, relax the springs, inspect the ammo, et cetera.

I LOVE VACATION!!! :)
"Betrayed by the land that bore us; Forlorn by those we hold dear.
The Good have all gone before us, and only the Wicked are here.
So stand to, your glasses ready, for the world is a world full of lies.
Here's to those gone before us, and here's to the next man who dies."

No new assholes since 08/18.

Patient Zer0
Favorite Zombie Movies: 90 remake of NOTLD, Shaun of the Dead, Dead and Breakfast, Dance of the Dead

Post by Patient Zer0 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:14 pm

jamoni wrote:Cleaned and oiled all my guns while watching Firefly. :)
Bwah!
bonanacrom wrote:I'd never throw others out of my way to save myself over them but anyone in my way with speeches about rules and regulations is going to get punched in the throat.
TIOCFAIDH AR LA

invicta

Post by invicta » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:15 am

Bought a Fiskars folding saw for the treks.
http://www.fiskars.com/pImages/FI/fi/134633_9682.jpg

19kilo

Post by 19kilo » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:18 am

Got a mountain bike today for having stopping chewing tobaco for six months. Now I need to lose the forty pounds I gained and get back into shape.

The water gets hotter...the frog keeps swimming

eugene

Post by eugene » Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:51 pm

My tires came in so I got them mounted and balanced for the truck/bov. went up a size and went from 2 ply passenger car tires to 8 ply AT's.

zephir

Post by zephir » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:28 pm

i bought a shotgun recently
and 500 shells to go with it.
and a cleaning kit, printed online manual (its a used gun)

its a 20 gauge pump, while 12 gauge has the most choice of ammo and cheapest to buy, i got a 20 since I like guns that doesn't kick too much. And it was the cheapest gun I've found in 2 months.

Oregon

Post by Oregon » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:09 am

Picked up a partial case (8 meals) of MREs free from my father-in-law. I also recently planted raspberries and started some veggie seeds in my greenhouse.

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:52 am

Taking part in a disaster decontamination drill at work.
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”