What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Lettuce Pray » Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 am

boskone wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:59 pm
Lettuce Pray wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:20 pm
Bought a house with five acres in the country yesterday. The next closest neighbors are at least a 1/4 mile away. The wife and I decided that we were sick of living in the suburbs.
Color me envious. :gonk:

Congrats!
I guess I sounded pretty bitter even at a happy time. Sorry. I found out yesterday that I am positive for Covid and feel like I have the flu.
The house is big for the area I am in and has enough room for our expanding preps. It also has a storm shelter of sorts designed into the basement. So we are really happy about it. Add in that the property is mostly woods with no close neighbors and it is all we could ask for.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:25 am

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 am
boskone wrote:
Lettuce Pray wrote:
Bought a house with five acres in the country yesterday. The next closest neighbors are at least a 1/4 mile away. The wife and I decided that we were sick of living in the suburbs.

Congrats!
I guess I sounded pretty bitter even at a happy time. Sorry. I found out yesterday that I am positive for Covid and feel like I have the flu.
The house is big for the area I am in and has enough room for our expanding preps. It also has a storm shelter of sorts designed into the basement. So we are really happy about it. Add in that the property is mostly woods with no close neighbors and it is all we could ask for.
I don't see anything bitter; 5 wooded acres and a nice house sounds pretty awesome. I have similar plans, except slightly larger acreage (I'd like enough room to do house things in the front, and take like a deer every year or two off the back).

Too bad about COVID, but hopefully you're like most people and get over it quickly and with little trouble.

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm

boskone wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:25 am
Lettuce Pray wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:19 am
boskone wrote:
Lettuce Pray wrote:

Congrats!
I don't see anything bitter; 5 wooded acres and a nice house sounds pretty awesome. I have similar plans, except slightly larger acreage (I'd like enough room to do house things in the front, and take like a deer every year or two off the back).

Too bad about COVID, but hopefully you're like most people and get over it quickly and with little trouble.
So far so good. I am already feeling better, just tired still. This place has become an impromptu prep in and of itself. I have self quarantined in the new place while the family stays in the old one for the time being. Hopefully, that will keep them from getting this. Or at least delay infection for them. It would really suck if we all had it at the same time.

boskone

Post by boskone » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:30 pm
So far so good. I am already feeling better, just tired still. This place has become an impromptu prep in and of itself. I have self quarantined in the new place while the family stays in the old one for the time being. Hopefully, that will keep them from getting this. Or at least delay infection for them. It would really suck if we all had it at the same time.
Maybe you'll get lucky (?) and got it from them first, but they had an easier time. :lol:

TrailsnRadio

Post by TrailsnRadio » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:37 pm

Signed up for a CHL class. Also, added 105 AH deep cycle battery to my truck camper shell.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:06 pm

Good on you for signing up for a CHL class. I've had mine for close to 15 years, and it's always nice to have. I bought some more .22 LR and .22 Shorts for my Ruger Wrangler and 10/22. Started teaching my boys about different knots and how to tie them. Also started them on how to clean the fish and game they catch/shoot. Dad is getting tired of cleaning all the fish and frogs and what not himself...

M813

Post by M813 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:18 pm

Brekar wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:06 pm
Good on you for signing up for a CHL class. I've had mine for close to 15 years, and it's always nice to have. I bought some more .22 LR and .22 Shorts for my Ruger Wrangler and 10/22. Started teaching my boys about different knots and how to tie them. Also started them on how to clean the fish and game they catch/shoot. Dad is getting tired of cleaning all the fish and frogs and what not himself...
Frogs? How do you prepare them? I haven't had frog legs in eons...but I remember that they were delicious. I don't remember the species though.

Only this spring did I finally fillet a fish all by myself for the first time. I'm glad I finally learned.

Brekar
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead - Night/Dawn/Day of the Dead - Zombieland - Dead Snow - etc...

Post by Brekar » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:34 pm

Here in Missouri we have more bullfrogs than you can shake a stick at. We usually kill them 1 of 2 ways. Snagging with a fishing pole or with a .22lr.

I usually clean them by cutting they in half right above the rear hindquarters, cut the feet off at the ankle, and peel the skin off with some pliers, then cut the hindquarters in half so it's like eating a chicken leg. Cook them by deep frying them after tossing them into some batter, or grilling them with butter.

My boys like eating them more than cleaning them, but I figured that since they were all between 6-10 years old it was time to start helping with the gross part...

scuffedboots
Favorite Zombie Movies: Return of the Living Dead

Post by scuffedboots » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:19 pm

I borrowed a scanner from a friend have spent some time digitizing old files and storing online so that I have less stuff lying around. Trying to reduce the amount of junk that has followed me around for years so that I can make clearer decisions about what to bring if things get bad.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:57 pm

Yesterday, not today. Scored an 80 roll case of TP for just $39 + tax

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:57 pm

But is it "Charmin Soft"? :?
Tony D Tiger

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:36 am

tony d tiger wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 12:27 am
NT2C wrote:

Butt Comfort Matters :wink:

jor-el

Post by jor-el » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:40 am

Despite great trepidation I ordered Battlesteel Lvl 4 plates from Botach, which finally arrived with only a 30 day delay despite being "in stock".
You would think in stock items would ship immediately. You would also think contractors would supply employees with plates if level 3 threats exist.
My son, you will travel far, but never be alone, for I am with you, my M14 and battle axe comfort you.

CrossCut
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by CrossCut » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:47 am

Shipped a couple of these sets to out-of-town family recently.

While tempted to include yet more links to the latest articles, research, and letters to the editor advocating for its use for mouthwash and nasal rinsing, I'll pass as I almost certainly have some (confirmation) bias regarding its use. If you haven't already, might be worth a trip to scholar.google.com and search on "povidone-iodine" and "sars-cov-2" and decide for yourself.

Anyway, just $23, enough to make 5 gallons (diluted 1:20 with distilled water) and extra spray bottles to share with their friends.

M813

Post by M813 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:21 am

tony d tiger wrote:
NT2C wrote:

It's probably "John Wayne" toilet paper- It don't take no sh*t off of nobody.

I've installed additional security lights and cameras around my property. I can check the perimeter at anytime, using my phone. The downside is, I now get to watch all the deer eating my tomatoes at 1:00am. :x

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:37 am

M813 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:21 am
tony d tiger wrote:
NT2C wrote:

It's probably "John Wayne" toilet paper- It don't take no sh*t off of nobody.

I've installed additional security lights and cameras around my property. I can check the perimeter at anytime, using my phone. The downside is, I now get to watch all the deer eating my tomatoes at 1:00am. :x
Those deer are storing your tomatoes and keeping them fresh in the form of "meat that you can harvest later" ;)
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

M813

Post by M813 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:37 am
Those deer are storing your tomatoes and keeping them fresh in the form of "meat that you can harvest later" ;)
Good point. I do plan on hunting for deer for the first time, this season. (Don't worry, I'll have adult supervision.)
I have lots of firearms experience from a military perspective, but not hunting.

I have no moral issues with hunting for sustenance but I am nervous about having the intestinal fortitude to field dress a deer. I know I have to do it but the biggest animal I've ever gutted was a fish.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:07 pm

On the human side of things

Currently getting all of the delayed dental work done for DW. When she is all caught up, then my turn.

In a couple of weeks I'm taking take the Eurovan in for get it lifted/leveled. Just had the oil changed in the engine and the transmission checked, flushed w/new oil there as well. Engine is now good for 15K and the tranny for 30K before the next servicing needed.

Upgraded my bug-out comms kit with fresh battery sets and a new carry case for the antenna. Picked up 'cig plug' power cords for both autos that fit all the Yesau rigs.

Mostly little stuff at is all SPOF.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

boskone

Post by boskone » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:59 pm

M813 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm
woodsghost wrote:
Good point. I do plan on hunting for deer for the first time, this season. (Don't worry, I'll have adult supervision.)
I have lots of firearms experience from a military perspective, but not hunting.

I have no moral issues with hunting for sustenance but I am nervous about having the intestinal fortitude to field dress a deer. I know I have to do it but the biggest animal I've ever gutted was a fish.
Here's a hint, if you prove squeamish: You don't necessarily need into the body cavity. You lost some meat that way, but you'll get like 95% of the edible meat by removing the front and back legs, neck, and the backstraps.

However, some of the meat you'll lose is the tenderloins, which you'll definitely want. What I might do is remove the haunches and backstraps, and clean the neck, then decide if you're feeling squeemish. If not, let your supervisor walk you through; if so, let your supervisor do the cleaning and surrender the tenderloins as penitence. :rofl:

I usually just gut the deer, then clean the carcass back home. I think next time I'm going to instead remove the legs and neck as above, then try going in from the sides of the trunk to get the tenderloins. Dunno if it'll actually be easier than my usual method, but it might save dealing with having the legs flopping about, then having to haul the ribcage home only to haul it back out to the pasture.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:23 pm

M813 wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:01 pm
woodsghost wrote:

Work on squirrels and rabbits first. My first 10(+?) critters I made a mess of. Only after watching a lot of videos and working with friends to do up a lot of larger critters do I think I'm starting to get a handle on things. But I was able to butcher smaller critters more easily. There is less mess. There is less difficulty. There are fewer tools needed.

I wear nitrile exam gloves and that helps a LOT! Nitrile is pretty tough, so working around fragmented bones is less of a big deal, and it keeps most of the mess off your hands. If it is warm and your critter still has ticks (or fleas), I prefer a barrier. I've only encountered ticks so far.

I really didn't know what I was doing on my first 5 mammals. Other than "get them open and get some meat" I was flying blind. All I had were some survival manuals to work off of and no further guidance. The manuals were only "barely" helpful. But I got the job done and I strongly recommend working with small critters before going on to big ones.

Quick story: friends got their first tags. They go out to the fields of Des Moines, they shoot a deer. They boldly stride up to it. One looks at the deer...the other looks at the deer....the third looks at his toes....

"Anybody know what to do next?"

...."no"....

"Hey, my fiancee is a veterinary student."

"Give her a call! Tell her to bring a knife!"

She shows up.

"You know what to do?"

"No, they didn't have a class on this."

She field dresses the deer with a 2 inch folding knife while the guys watch YouTube videos and give her instructions in the field.

She still married him.

Point? Sometimes your first is a real mess. But it gets easier with practice.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:51 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:23 pm
She field dresses the deer with a 2 inch folding knife while the guys watch YouTube videos and give her instructions in the field.

She still married him.

Point? Sometimes your first is a real mess. But it gets easier with practice.
The point I take from this is about the quality of life partner you pick. My life would also get easier with a lady getting a doctorate and willing to gut a large mammal I killed while I lazily lecture her. :words:

So... Des Moines? Is that normal for women in Iowa? I may need to move.

This week I signed up for two tactical rifle classes. I've taken tactical pistol classes from those instructors before and really liked it. I decided to sign up for them after several Appleseed courses I was going to take were canceled. I had budgeted to do 3 Appleseed courses in a row this summer and some wilderness first aid classes, then do the tactical rifle courses next year. But all the courses I planned to do this year have been canceled. So I signed up for what's available.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:51 pm

Well, I don't know if it is "normal," but I have met a lot more women in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota that qualify as "high quality." That is, women who work hard, have fun hunting, and put a lot of work into relationships.

Ladies from different places have real charms, but I am proud of many Midwestern ladies.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:27 am

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 am
RoneKiln wrote:
Well, I don't know if it is "normal," but I have met a lot more women in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota that qualify as "high quality." That is, women who work hard, have fun hunting, and put a lot of work into relationships.

Ladies from different places have real charms, but I am proud of many Midwestern ladies.
Really?

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:04 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:27 am
woodsghost wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:25 am
RoneKiln wrote:

Really?
I'm seeing a lot more interest from women in general in general in hunting, shooting, and shooting sports.

Which is pretty awesome.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”