What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by flybynight » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:07 pm

Cleaned a pistol and a carbine. Tomorrow I'll clean another carbine, two pistols and load a couple 30 round mags for the carbine as reloads for the mag kept on the firearm. I'll clean 2-3 fire arms everyday this week.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:10 pm

I think the last few days have caused the wife to rethink and get on board with the preparedness direction that I have been nudging us in for a while now. Yesterday, she bought a decent amount at Sam's that helped to fill in some gaps in our food stores. Today, I bought a couple five gallon cans for some long overdue gas storage.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:40 am

flybynight wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:07 pm
Cleaned a pistol and a carbine. Tomorrow I'll clean another carbine, two pistols and load a couple 30 round mags for the carbine as reloads for the mag kept on the firearm. I'll clean 2-3 fire arms everyday this week.
If you need to clean more guns you can come by my place and I'll let you clean some of mine. :D
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:02 am

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:40 am
flybynight wrote:
If you need to clean more guns you can come by my place and I'll let you clean some of mine. :D
Standard legal retainer to the effect any firearms cleaned or serviced by flybynight are rendered the sole property of FLYBYNIGHT SERVICES INC ? I'll be right over. :awesome:

John Titor was right

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead"

Post by Tobias05 » Wed Mar 18, 2020 5:47 pm

Been gone a while...

Today I set up a second work station on the dining room table for the SWMBO. She likes to sit near the pellet stove, and that frees up the home office dock for me. As long as their are still planes in the air and people eating food we should be able to keep the cash flowing in, at least temporarily. Who knows anymore...

Currently rotating stock in the pantry. Found a few boxes of pasta hastily hidden in the back from the 2016 election. Opps. Was at the local grocery store on saturday and noticed a few holes on the shelves. I imagine they are even worse now but I will probably wait until late in the evening to stop back in to grab a few things. Saving the 90k calories of Mountain House for a VERY rainy day.

Which reminds me, I still need to sight in the red dot on the BCM4 middy sitting in my safe. Been debating on a security barrel for the 870, or another upper...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:19 pm

flybynight wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:02 am
Stercutus wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Standard legal retainer to the effect any firearms cleaned or serviced by flybynight are rendered the sole property of FLYBYNIGHT SERVICES INC ? I'll be right over. :awesome:
Well, at least it is truth in advertising.

Today I went around and checked on my older neighbors. My process of checking involved rolling up the driveway with my older vehicle that they all recognize then knocking/ ringing. I then stood back a good 15-20' from the door in clear view while they answered the door.

I listened patiently to their wacky conspiracy theories for a few minutes and then asked if they needed anything and made sure they still had my number if they needed anything later. Then moved on to the next house.
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:35 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:19 pm
flybynight wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:02 am
Stercutus wrote:
flybynight wrote:
Well, at least it is truth in advertising.
Subject to Non-refundable40% reservation fee. All travel costs of FLYBYNIGHT SERVICES INC representative are the sole responsibility of the customer . This offer and all services are not available in the state of California, New Jersey ,New York , Hawaii and the cities of Seattle and Washintion DC.

John Titor was right

72hours

Post by 72hours » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:18 am

Bought more freeze dried ration packs, and got my wife to go the same. There was a coupon for $30 off of you spend $99, and free shipping.
Great to get her involved.

Phil

Post by Phil » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:45 pm

I tried not to obsess about how bad this is and how bad this is going to get.
I made buttermilk waffles with homemade mixed berry compote for breakfast. It's my girlfriend's birthday, so we have to keep living some parts of our lives.
As for preparedness today, I'm replacing the the buggered old blade sight on my Winchester M1917 .30-06 with an original sight, then zeroing it for 200yds using a laser boresight. All I need is Minute of Bad Guy over the length of 2 city blocks, at this point. After that's done, I'll tend to organizing the house more, packing BOBs, maybe shopping online for a few water filters and other necessities.

Phil Forrest
Last edited by Phil on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"you will not laugh, you will not cry, you will learn by the numbers, I will teach you!"
GYSGT Hartman, FMJ

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:30 am

bought a Coleman 414 fuel stove to go with my 550B for cooking during power outages.
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

newworldvagabond

Post by newworldvagabond » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:42 pm

Installed my 105 AH battery and solar charge controller in my camper shell on my BOV. Also topped off the tank keeping with never letting my fuel get below half a tank. Loving the lowering fuel prices! :D

amber5499

Post by amber5499 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:51 pm

We introduced ourselves to our neighbors- should have done it a while back, the dog got loose and new we needed to get to know them! lol.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:57 pm

Worked and out a paycheck in the bank. Started prepping the garden, cleaned and washed out thrb2 300gallon food grade IBC totes. Ordered a couple new carving knives and fell a couple standing dead to have ready so I don’t have to touch my seasoned wood yet.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Ghostdog914
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later

Post by Ghostdog914 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:33 pm

Today taught my 10 year old daughter how to bake bread and how to make jerky using the dehydrator. Then she vacuum sealed the jerky and ate pretty much all the bread.

tony d tiger

Post by tony d tiger » Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:31 am

Part of our state's "stay at home" allows outside walking the dog. So I took the big boy out for a couple miles around the neighborhood; he sniffs around - I scout the neighborhood for anything new or out of place. Plus it's a nice way to get a little exercise. :mrgreen:
Tony D

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:08 am

Baked some bread, inventoried supplies, ordered some additional supplies to be delivered in stages. I believe this will slightly improve my chances of getting things I may need should warehouse stocks remain low. I'm also trying to go for at least triple redundancy in food preps. For example, milk in UHT shelf-stable form, in powdered form, and in canned form (evaporated, mostly for reconstituting and using in cooking), veggies in canned, dried, freeze-dried and frozen varieties, etc.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:33 pm

I cleaned up my messy shop a bit, put the bush hog on the tractor and got the tractor running right, put a new wood bed on my 12' trailer (the old one was rotted away), burned a ton of brush and other debris that needed to be gone and various other small homestead tasks.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:38 am

Forecast today is for numerous long line tornadoes and every kind of bad weather you can think of except for snow. And why the fuck not? It is Easter after all and there isn't anything else going on like a state lockdown, crashed economy and a pandemic. Tornadoes, hail, high winds and heavy pounding rain just add flavor.

Anywho... I garaged all the vehicles that are normally spread all around the parking area, put the tractor out of the barn in an open area away from trees, checked on my chain saws and made sure that there was a minimum amount of stuff to be blown around. Checked the genie but didn't start it. Hopefully won't need it.
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:50 am

Stercutus wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:38 am
Forecast today is for numerous long line tornadoes and every kind of bad weather you can think of except for snow. And why the fuck not? It is Easter after all and there isn't anything else going on like a state lockdown, crashed economy and a pandemic. Tornadoes, hail, high winds and heavy pounding rain just add flavor.

Anywho... I garaged all the vehicles that are normally spread all around the parking area, put the tractor out of the barn in an open area away from trees, checked on my chain saws and made sure that there was a minimum amount of stuff to be blown around. Checked the genie but didn't start it. Hopefully won't need it.
Keep us updated. We had some severe storms last night near but not over us. Be safe yall

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:24 am

flybynight wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:50 am
Stercutus wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 7:38 am

Keep us updated. We had some severe storms last night near but not over us. Be safe yall
Last night's forecast was for up to 8" of snow around here late tonight.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:58 am

Repaired a bread machine with a broken belt.

It was pretty borked but it was also almost 15 years old.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:29 pm

I purchased 12 3X fresnel lenses. One for each member of the family, one for each of our camping boxes.

Bought them on e-bay for less than $9, shipping included. This is the item: https://www.ebay.com/itm/283845623170?V ... 3845623170
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:22 am

Ordered gun parts, rifle ammo, face scarves, and a pasta extruder.

Andimia
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead

Post by Andimia » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:36 am

20 pushups. Studied last year's foraging photos to work out a timeline of what plants I can get when. Found a good source of wild ramps last week. Made my eggs this morning (like most mornings) topped with garlic mustard and nettles from the back yard. Worked a full day and made it halfway through a productivity course. Made a weighted pack training plan.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”