What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Ever

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Ever » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:49 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:18 pm
Ever wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:57 pm
-activated my debit card (after all these years) for using checking account &/or withdrawing all cash should I see something beginning to happen. (normally I'm
Be aware of any limitations with cash withdrawal. Some banks limit the amount you can pull in a single transaction/day...\
ah. Did not know that. Thanks.

Must look into that.
Ever, previously known here as 'zombiepreparation'

Stay safe and well, y'all.
(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:53 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Ever wrote:
-activated my debit card (after all these years) for using checking account &/or withdrawing all cash should I see something beginning to happen. (normally I'm
Be aware of any limitations with cash withdrawal. Some banks limit the amount you can pull in a single transaction/day...\
I think that's more than some banks. All of them do this so far as I know. They do it for a variety of reasons but mostly to prevent their ATMs being cleaned out by just a small number of customers during disasters, and also to limit how much can be taken with a forged card.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 am

NT2C wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:53 pm
I think that's more than some banks. All of them do this so far as I know. They do it for a variety of reasons but mostly to prevent their ATMs being cleaned out by just a small number of customers during disasters, and also to limit how much can be taken with a forged card.
Truth. Some are as low as $300 daily. And even if you walk in, many banks require (or strongly request) you notify them a day ahead of time if you want to withdraw more than a certain amount, often around $3,000, to make sure they have cash on hand for the rest of their daily activities. As well, it's a bit of trouble to withdraw more than $10k, as that has to be reported to the Feds as possible money laundering.

If you want to have cash on hand in case of emergency (which is a great idea) it's best to have it before that emergency happens, as it may be difficult to get it after.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:51 am

PistolPete wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:18 am
NT2C wrote:
Truth. Some are as low as $300 daily. And even if you walk in, many banks require (or strongly request) you notify them a day ahead of time if you want to withdraw more than a certain amount, often around $3,000, to make sure they have cash on hand for the rest of their daily activities. As well, it's a bit of trouble to withdraw more than $10k, as that has to be reported to the Feds as possible money laundering.

If you want to have cash on hand in case of emergency (which is a great idea) it's best to have it before that emergency happens, as it may be difficult to get it after.
I asked my institution about withdrawing large amounts (6 digits). I was told someone would just need to fill out some paperwork.

(ASCII shrug).

PistolPete

Post by PistolPete » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:02 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:51 am
I asked my institution about withdrawing large amounts (6 digits). I was told someone would just need to fill out some paperwork.

(ASCII shrug).
Having worked for several financial institutions, some will offer more barriers than that. And they will all flag the account for additional scrutiny. And that paperwork is sent to Federal agencies, which could also result in extra scrutiny.

It's a lot like buying 2 handguns in a week. Some gun dealers won't do it- some will protest and strongly suggest you come back in 10 days for the second one, some will just fill out the form and send it to the Feds. Different banks have different internal policies.
Steemit, where I write stuff now

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
- Mark Twain

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:00 pm

Also most banks will let you add extra steps and security measures to withdraw funds voluntarily. Each bank is a little different on this. Given the world we live and the fact that there are literally armies of people trying to get access to your accounts this is a good idea.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Ever

Post by Ever » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:21 am

Thanks everyone for your insight and tips. I was totally unaware.👍

(and keep practicing physical distancing and wearing masks. if not for yourself do it for those of us around ya who desperately need ya to)

Ever

Post by Ever » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:52 am

Today:

- Restocked my spices & herbs for my prep foods
- brought in 5 more lbs of various beans
- 2 cans of potatoes
- 2 cans of spaggette sauce
- 2 packages of dehydrated milk that each make a gallon
- 2 lbs of rice
- Restocked my suppliments to last 10 months
- purchased two extra phone cards
- restocked two OTCs

- I picked up some clear plastic chair covers for possible use as PPE if I find I have to wade into or through people who could be walking COVID spreaders. They will have a similar look to:

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:41 pm

NT2C wrote:
SCBrian wrote:
Ever wrote:
True, but I should have been more specific and said "Some may limit it to a smaller amount than you'd want". :)
IIRC ?Navy Federal? once had a pretty sever limit on withdrawals in an effort to teach the young recruits/seamen to be more responsible.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:09 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:41 pm
NT2C wrote:
SCBrian wrote:
Ever wrote:
True, but I should have been more specific and said "Some may limit it to a smaller amount than you'd want". :)
IIRC ?Navy Federal? once had a pretty sever limit on withdrawals in an effort to teach the young recruits/seamen to be more responsible.
My wife and I have several accounts at Navy Federal (joint household checking, individual savings for each, my business checking, etc.) and they are comparable to our other bank, Wells Fargo.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Current Weather in My AO

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:30 pm

I am going to mention it is best practices not to mention which banks you have accounts at as it provides data points for those wishing to farm such information.
You go over and under
I go through

Ever

Post by Ever » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:12 am

added
6 lbs various beans
12 cans various fruit & veggies
2 lb rice
3 lbs pasta
10 lbs flour
nutrient supplements
various OTCs
2 blocks american cheese
more seasonings
large olive oil
med size canola oil
aluminum foil (100 ft)
2 qts shelf stable milk
2 pkgs dehydrated milk (makes 1 gallon ea)
36 pkgs ramen
4 packages of t.p.
7 free medium size buckets w lids
2 bottles dish soap
2 boxes of cereal
"Daily COVID-19 SITREP In Your Area" thread to our cp&p forum

amber5499

Post by amber5499 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:23 am

Stopped at Walmart to draw cash to pay a bill, since hubby goes through chloraseptic like crazy during wrestling season, I bought two. Lots of cough drops were sold out!

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Ordered a few shelf-stable items to replace items from our preps that were getting close to their end dates and which we'll consume. Added an extra 10 lbs. of flour and some sourdough starter to our preps.

Current Weather in My AO

amber5499

Post by amber5499 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:16 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:09 pm
SCBrian wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:41 pm
NT2C wrote:
SCBrian wrote:

My wife and I have several accounts at Navy Federal (joint household checking, individual savings for each, my business checking, etc.) and they are comparable to our other bank, Wells Fargo.

Not sure if it is still true today but there might also be a grand total for the day and not just you can only withdraw x amount at a time or a what method are you purchasing with. For example years ago I made some normal purchases and then went to make my big ticket purchase which we a 400 dollar item, cant remember which but basically if i had selected credit instead of debit it would have went through

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:09 pm

amber5499 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:16 pm
Not sure if it is still true today but there might also be a grand total for the day and not just you can only withdraw x amount at a time or a what method are you purchasing with. For example years ago I made some normal purchases and then went to make my big ticket purchase which we a 400 dollar item, cant remember which but basically if i had selected credit instead of debit it would have went through
There can be ATM limits set by the bank to prevent fraud. Sometimes someone will deposit a fraudulent check through the ATM and then try to with drawl money. Further, ATMs will be loaded with a determined amount of cash and bankers don't want to have an ATM run out, even if there isn't a disaster. Generally debit cards / credit cards will have an upper limit for a day, a business or per transaction. These are determined by algorithms based upon fraudulent activity and the risk of not being able to cover those purchases. You can have those limits adjusted per for a time period. Generally the debit/credit card one's simply require you verifying that you are the owner of the card and are making a purchase.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:07 pm

Replaced the box blade for the cultivator. Ran it over the garden, planted 10 lbs. of buckwheat . Should be ready to disc next month as green manure before planting the garden, :clap: ( knock on wood the temps don't drop back into the twenties for a week straight ) :ohdear:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:43 am

noticed my bulk chemicals were running low, so put an order in today for various household cleaning supplies and hand sanitizer (5L bottles)
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:58 pm

I moved basic BOB-type bags to my BOHM.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:09 pm

Bought a full sheet thermal laminator to print out and laminate useful info. It's not only going to be used for preps (wife already requested that I laminate the reference page I have for all the garment care pictographs and hang it in our laundry area) but prep-related info will be the primary purpose.

Current Weather in My AO

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:07 am

Modified an AR for the current threat:

And they say we can’t shoot a virus!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

majorhavoc
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:17 am

91Eunozs wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:07 am
Modified an AR for the current threat:

And they say we can’t shoot a virus!
:lol: :clap: That must be Magpul's new tactical aerosol fore end.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:56 am

You are handling that without gloves? I sure hope you wiped it down and hand sanitized before touching yourself again.

You go over and under
I go through

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:38 pm

Sam's Club has a 24hr pass with a 10% service charge.
https://help.samsclub.com/app/answers/d ... membership
00dlez wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:51 pm
I don't have a Sam's or Costco membership (it's just me and my wife for now) so there's not a ton of bulk buying, but... these were posted on Sundays... when do these stores routinely restock? do they bring down all the boxes from the upper shelves on Monday and Friday? Much like we see in the media these days - a well timed or angled photo can tell a very different story than reality.

Again, maybe they restocked this AM and it's a 100% panic situation, or maybe it happens every Sunday and people are only now attributing significance to it.

Edit b/c rules: Today I used 6 cans of old can goods to make Sunday dinner (canned tomato, red wine, and fresh lamb shank in the slow cooker!) and repurchased 12 to refill the pantry.... and some extra water.

Stocked the freezer. I just have a small one though. Increased the canned goods and medicine supply.
I just came from a business trip to Hawaii and I had to go to an obscure Longs/CVS just to buy vitamins. It's mostly empty shelves in the tourist areas. Targets had no cleaning stuff and toilet paper. Didn't go to Walmart anymore.

I have a room UV sterilizer. I need to change mai air filters though.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”