What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

woodsghost

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by woodsghost » Sat Sep 07, 2019 10:04 am

This is less of a "today" and more of a "last 9 months" post but...

Replaced 2 very used/unreliable vehicles with 2 less used/more reliable vehicles. It is pure joy to put a key in the ignition and have your car start. I drive 550 miles a week to commute to work and the vehicle issue was becoming more acute. Planning on moving soon.

Had a chiropractor work on back issues with myself and my wife. Made lifestyle changes to reduce risk of re-injury.

Reviewing our experience with the birth of our daughter to better prepare for baby #2, who will be here in about 5-6 months. Preparing our 2 year old for the changes.

Worked and trained with the church Security Team on multiple occasions. That has been fun and educational. Worked on both weapons and medical skills. There is more needed, but I'm glad we are making some progress.

Renewed the CCW. I needed to let the prior one expire and was without for about 12 months.

Got a Berky water filter and have loved that. I hope we never need it in a bad situation, but it is there and used daily, so we are ready.

Lots more to do, but that is what we have done so far.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 5:43 pm

I went to the range. I re-learned what I always learn...every time I go to the range. :D

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:43 pm

I repaired my security camera system. It got zapped by an electrical storm knocking out the power supply to the cameras.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:51 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:43 pm
I repaired my security camera system. It got zapped by an electrical storm knocking out the power supply to the cameras.
Same thing happened to the PS on one of my rear yard cameras. I now keep two spares in the house.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:36 pm

One of the college kids came by to pick up some stuff. I figured it was a great time to rotate some canned goods and Ramen. We filled up his trunk and away he went.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:09 pm

Bought a zippo along with spare flints and wicks, trying to reduce my reliance on disposable butane lighters
Vincent Tornado: 2013
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm

taipan821 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:09 pm
Bought a zippo along with spare flints and wicks, trying to reduce my reliance on disposable butane lighters
I went the other way and bought a rechargeable electric lighter.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:31 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:25 pm
taipan821 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:09 pm
I went the other way and bought a rechargeable electric lighter.
I got a rope lighter awhile back. Does that count?
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:52 pm

I got my Flu shot earlier this week, making a quit date, & I am going over my bags to get them ready for w-i-n-t-e-r.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:08 am

I also got my flu shot this week.

I swapped out a semi-shitty home depot type tarp for a really nice silnylon one in my bugout bag: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FKP56T4/

I am really down to minor tweaks in the BOB (which I also sometimes use for camping). The low-hanging fruit is probably elsewhere at this point; more deep storage at home, more emergency supplies for the car, and most importantly more skills.

I'm been continuing to work on foraging skills; I'm up to 50+ plants that grow in my area that I can reliably ID as edible. This is a lot of fun as well as useful; I probably devoured 10+ lbs of pawpaws last weekend. I would like to learn to use a sling for defense/hunting. Lightweight, ammunition is literally lying all over the ground, you can make a replacement out of string or even natural plant fibers. There was a reason it was humanity's most popular distance weapon for (tens of?) thousands of years. I could make one out of paracord, watch demos on youtube, but where the *&^%% would I practice? Neighbors are not going to be happy if I break their car window or hit their ass with a pebble...
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 5:16 pm

Sun Yeti wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:08 am
hit their ass with a pebble...
unless they do....:mrgreen:

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:36 pm

Sun Yeti wrote:
Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:08 am
I swapped out a semi-shitty home depot type tarp for a really nice silnylon one in my bugout bag: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FKP56T4/
I have the same tarp, have since sometime last year.

I need to get out and actually camp a bit with it, though. Maybe I'll just backyard camp next weekend to get a feel for it before committing to something that involves a walk longer than 20ft. :D
I would like to learn to use a sling for defense/hunting. Lightweight, ammunition is literally lying all over the ground, you can make a replacement out of string or even natural plant fibers. There was a reason it was humanity's most popular distance weapon for (tens of?) thousands of years. I could make one out of paracord, watch demos on youtube, but where the *&^%% would I practice? Neighbors are not going to be happy if I break their car window or hit their ass with a pebble...
Start with soft projectiles, like those Nerf foam balls?

Ellywick

Post by Ellywick » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:51 pm

In between wrangling three small children, processed a bunch of veggies from the garden. Freezer is stocked with more green beans, tomatoes to make sauce with after harvest, ground cherries for jam later, and poblanos and jalapenos to go with green tomatoes in a pureed salsa verde. Dehydrated some bell and hot peppers, along with tomatoes. Usually the tomato chips are eaten so fast there aren't any left over, but I may actually have enough to pur in vacuum-sealed pouches this time.

Had cucumbers and no desire to turn them into pickles. Found out on a whim that dehydrated cucumber chips are delicious and, after some research, that you can powder dried cucumbers to use as flavoring.

Tomorrow on the agenda is freezing cucumbers for cucumber jelly, making pesto with garden basil to freeze, and more thai green curry paste with lemongrass, thai basil, cilantro, and thai peppers from the garden. Might pilfer some more pears to process from a friend. It's been a good year for my small garden.
"When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl..." "You find someone to carry you."

"She's tore up plenty, but she'll fly true."

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:11 am

I re-did my GHB & BOB for winter. Added watch caps, gloves, long johns in the BOB. I'm not satisfied with my results. I *need* way to much stuff. This is not TEOTW of anything, but it is a setback. This is why I got the van in the 1st place. I haven't even covered my CPAP, Nebulizer, or PaleFace.

Bedtime.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:13 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:11 am
I re-did my GHB & BOB for winter. Added watch caps, gloves, long johns in the BOB. I'm not satisfied with my results. I *need* way to much stuff. This is not TEOTW of anything, but it is a setback. This is why I got the van in the 1st place. I haven't even covered my CPAP, Nebulizer, or PaleFace.

Bedtime.
This is my problem also. My GHB had grown to INCH bag proportions. So I created a second bag with winter centric items and a small basic survival section. I also have a EDC bag that mimics a lot of the stuff in my GHB , plus firearm and firearm related gear. But it's all just too much stuff I need. I have become the survival horder . I need to pare my equipment down drastically. I am a man, not a mule
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”