What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Stercutus » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:52 am

This week I have put up about 50 pounds of blueberries in the freezer. Gave a bunch away too. And ate enough to satisfy me, which is quite a lot.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 pm

The fact that you can freeze blueberries are lost on a lot of people. They are a great food source and due to the seasonal nature of the crop this is a great way to store an overabundance of the crop.

We have a lot of blueberries in South MS and I have access to several farms that allow friends to come in after the harvest and pick all they want gratis. The mechanical pickers leave a lot on the bushes so harvest a copious amount is not difficult albeit an extremely hot and labor intensive affair (which is way there are so many remaining on the bushes).

BTW one thing I do with frozen blue berries is use them as edible ice cubes in ice water.

As for preps I bought 4 of these and along with some spare USB extension cords I had sitting around I can now String these to provide multiple sources of light in a room in the event of a power failure by using a USB battery bank. I plugged 4 in and left them on over night plugged into a 10,000 ma battery bank over night and there was still ample power left in the battery in the AM ~8 to 9 hours. Each light puts about the same illumination as a 15 to 25 watt incandescent bulb.

I used some spare 6 and 12 foot USB extension cords to get some separation and the room (30 X 15) was more than adequately illuminated.

https://smile.amazon.com/SunJack-CampLi ... 3MC7RNAFWN

Zed Hunter

Post by Zed Hunter » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:33 pm

Woke up.

EBuff75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse

Post by EBuff75 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:52 pm

raptor wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 pm
As for preps I bought 4 of these and along with some spare USB extension cords I had sitting around I can now String these to provide multiple sources of light in a room in the event of a power failure by using a USB battery bank. I plugged 4 in and left them on over night plugged into a 10,000 ma battery bank over night and there was still ample power left in the battery in the AM ~8 to 9 hours. Each light puts about the same illumination as a 15 to 25 watt incandescent bulb.

I used some spare 6 and 12 foot USB extension cords to get some separation and the room (30 X 15) was more than adequately illuminated.

I don't have lights which can be chained together like that, but I have several of the Onite warm lights and a bunch of small power banks so that they can be used as needed. I also bought one which is dimmable and another which is the cool white, but the warm white ones are my favorite (although the dimmable is nice if you would like to be able to use them at lower power in some cases).

I should probably create a thread about the various emergency/battery lights like this that I have. I bought a number of different ones to try out some different options, mostly for use with our local CERT. They're all ready to go in a bag so that I can take it with me to events/call-outs if needed. In the meantime, I have them if I need anything for myself. Everything in the kit which requires charging is connected to a multi-strip which is on a digital timer so that it comes on for one hour each week to keep everything topped up.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:50 pm

EBuff75 wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:52 pm
raptor wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:07 pm

I don't have lights which can be chained together like that, but I have several of the Onite warm lights and a bunch of small power banks so that they can be used as needed. I also bought one which is dimmable and another which is the cool white, but the warm white ones are my favorite (although the dimmable is nice if you would like to be able to use them at lower power in some cases).

I should probably create a thread about the various emergency/battery lights like this that I have. I bought a number of different ones to try out some different options, mostly for use with our local CERT. They're all ready to go in a bag so that I can take it with me to events/call-outs if needed. In the meantime, I have them if I need anything for myself. Everything in the kit which requires charging is connected to a multi-strip which is on a digital timer so that it comes on for one hour each week to keep everything topped up.

The ones i just bought are identical to the ones you linked except for the extra USB port. I also have several like the one you linked. They work very well. The sole advantage of the new ones is that one battery bank can run several now via a daisy chain. I plan to use use the older ones at the end of the daisy chain.

The timer is a great idea to keep the battery banks charged.

Please do create a thread about your battery lights. We would all like to see it.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:06 pm

nice light and a nice price!
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

FrankyDub23

Post by FrankyDub23 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:36 pm

It's my day off so I'm just here at home. When I wake up I always check my doors. People are used to not locking their doors but I'm not like that. I also check if I have enough food. I live alone so I only buy what I need for a week or two. That's basically what I did earlier and now I'm watching YouTube videos about conspiracies and stuff. LOL!

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:20 pm

Got a RAVPower Extreme, 28600 mAh & the folding solar panels. Not sure why other than...because.

mrgrtt123

Post by mrgrtt123 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:29 pm

I have checked the car, make sure that I have the tools that I need if something bad happens.

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:37 pm

I made a bug out bag for my cat: dry food, wet food, collapsible water dish, contractor bags, harness, leash, toys, backpack cat carrier. My wife would be carrying this on her back as I carry my regular BOB backpack. In other words, if we have 30 seconds to leave, I'm grabbing my bag, she's grabbing this bag and the cat.

The main problem is there's nothing tacti-cool in it (the cat BOB), and I didn't spend any new money on it. Thinking of buying some cat armor to remedy that.
I find it uniquely frustrating that so many preppers have their heads in the sand about climate change.

But, I've come to realize there's no point in arguing with someone if there's no possible evidence you could present that would actually change their mind.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:32 am

The main problem is there's nothing tacti-cool in it (the cat BOB), and I didn't spend any new money on it. Thinking of buying some cat armor to remedy that.
If I may suggest, this company makes good samurai armor for cats:

https://www.boredpanda.com/pet-dog-cat- ... gn=organic

Or were you thinking ballistic? If you go ballistic it is tough to find cat armor with good stab resistance which would be more useful in a cat on cat confrontation.
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:46 pm

I'm thinking I can get bulk pricing on these for my four cats:

Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:19 pm

Sun Yeti wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:37 pm
I made a bug out bag for my cat: dry food, wet food, collapsible water dish, contractor bags, harness, leash, toys, backpack cat carrier.
I have several cats and as such I have a comprehensive plan to evacuate them in the event of likely risk like a hurricane.
My mantra is "if I go, they go. If they cannot go then I am not leaving."

The BOB I have for my cats consists of a tub with a lid on it. In the tub is a bag of dry food, 4 cans of tuna, paper dishes, plastic water bowl, scooper and cat litter. The tub acts as the cat box. I also keep a copy of their most current vaccination records.

Each cat has a carrier which has my name, email and telephone # as a well as the phrase "$$$$ Reward If Found $$$$" in case they get separated.

In the event an evacuation is required they will be rounded up and placed in their carriers. Food & water will left out for the ferals. If the ferals can be caught which is not likely they will also be evacuated (there is only so much a person can do). The cats will be the last to be loaded into the vehicles and they will be attended at all times. They will be left in the car with the engine (& AC) running until the plane is otherwise loaded and ready to go. They then get loaded into the plane. I then check the car to ensure everything has been removed and move it off the ramp. If I can park it in the high rise garage I will do so.

Upon my getting back to the plane another head count (people and critters) is taken and only then does the plane depart.

If we have to drive out instead of fly out, the evacuation will always use 2 vehicles for the safety of all involved in case of a break down.

BTW my cats (& other critters) do not need armor..they have staff...me.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:49 pm

"$$$$ Reward If Found $$$$"
So uh, where do you keep those cats? In case anybody like found them and needed to turn them in for a cash reward? Do they have armor? Are they declawed? Asking for a friend.

… Meanwhile in the Bahamas, Raptor's evil dog twin makes the news

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... ne-dorian/
You go over and under
I go through

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:28 pm

raptor wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:19 pm
BTW my cats (& other critters) do not need armor..they have staff...me.
Neither do mine. they just want it to show off.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:12 am

Stercutus wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:49 pm
"$$$$ Reward If Found $$$$"
So uh, where do you keep those cats? In case anybody like found them and needed to turn them in for a cash reward? Do they have armor? Are they declawed? Asking for a friend.
If your friend can get past the staff, find one such carrier, catch one of my pets AND then put it in a carrier....your friend will need a reward to pay for the medical care necessary from the expedition.

If on the other hand your friend stumbles upon such a carrier and pet unattended; it is because the attending staff is either very injured or very soon will be very injured and your friend will have thus earned a reward. :D

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm

I've been working on improving security at the house over the last few years. Gone are the bushes that could hide someone breaking in or block a clear view outside, added were security cameras around the property, also added was surge protection for the house wiring and backup power for the home wifi network and cable modem.

This past week, as part of that and also part of getting the house ready for sale, I'm changing all the doorknobs and locks in the house, using good quality hardware and strongly pick resistant lock cylinders with good bitting. Locks have also been changed to very good security locks on my trailer (Abus Diskus 20/70 padlocks) in preparation for taking it cross-country and leaving it in a storage facility while loaded with about $50k in ham radio gear and other electronics.

Also, I'm thinking of moving this topic to what I feel is a better sub for it, CP&P. What say ye?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:54 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm
Also, I'm thinking of moving this topic to what I feel is a better sub for it, CP&P. What say ye?
It fits here, but CP&P would work as well.

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:57 pm

NT2C wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:08 pm
It does seem more appropriate to me.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Topic tentatively moved to CP&P and stickied, with a shadow link left behind in the original sub.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Did some major shop clearing out. Hauled a load to the dump and then loaded the trailer with all the loose, useless scrap metal to take to the recycle place and make enough money to buy some meth, although I have no plans to do so.

But because I am a total nerd and grew up watching the A-Team where bullets bounced off of sheet metal roofing I went and ahead and tested some of the ballistic resistance of some of the metals. I used a rifle with 22lr 36gr HP and 12 GA with #6 game loads.

- Double walled sheet metal cabinet. 3/8" air gap.
.22 lr would only penetrate at close range and only when shot at 90 degrees. Otherwise the bullets would end up inside the wall. The shotgun was curious. It removed the outer layer of metal like it was never there and failed to penetrate the second wall.

- Skid plate from late 90s GM pickup truck.
The 22 would only penetrate 90 degree shots and sailed right though. It stopped the shotgun cold. It made a sizeable dent but no pellets penetrated.

- Pulley wheel from riding mower.
This was very interesting. The metal appeared to be between 1/8" and 1/4". There was zero penetration through the center of the pulley and anything around the edge just slid off.

- Old law mower blades.
Zero penetration.
You go over and under
I go through

CG

Post by CG » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Does it count if it's for where you work?

Scheduled an appointment to have somebody come give me a quote on an alarm system, surveillance system, and access control system next week.
Mater tua caligas gerit!

...I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:44 pm

Installed the final new lock on the hose and I have all the locks keyed alike to a key with very good bitting. When we move the locks will all be rekeyed to a brand new set of keys and those will be given to the person who buys the house, through their agent.

We'll also be leaving behind a "Welcome Box" for the new owners containing all the instruction manuals for everything in the house (locks, appliances, special light fixture features, light timers, etc.), menus for all the local restaurants that deliver (and maybe a gift card for their first night's dinner), a factory sealed re-keying kit for all the locks on the house so they can re-key the locks again themselves if they want, warranty information on all the things that have transferable warranties (like the new heat pump), info on local docs & vets, the local sheriff's non-emergency number, directions to the local dump & recycling center (and pre-paid coupons needed to use it), identification info for all the trees planted on the property (particularly for the rare, blight-resistant American Chestnut that I planted and which has nuts this year for the first time), and info on the various critters living on the property (rabbits, possums, squirrels, marmots, racoons, some deer that visit now and then, and all the birds that would visit our feeders (including a family of crows and a mated pair of ducks)), and various other goodies, including info about ZS, prepping, and the forums here.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:55 am

NT2C wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:44 pm
Installed the final new lock on the hose and I have all the locks keyed alike to a key with very good bitting. When we move the locks will all be rekeyed to a brand new set of keys and those will be given to the person who buys the house, through their agent.

We'll also be leaving behind a "Welcome Box" for the new owners containing all the instruction manuals for everything in the house (locks, appliances, special light fixture features, light timers, etc.), menus for all the local restaurants that deliver (and maybe a gift card for their first night's dinner), a factory sealed re-keying kit for all the locks on the house so they can re-key the locks again themselves if they want, warranty information on all the things that have transferable warranties (like the new heat pump), info on local docs & vets, the local sheriff's non-emergency number, directions to the local dump & recycling center (and pre-paid coupons needed to use it), identification info for all the trees planted on the property (particularly for the rare, blight-resistant American Chestnut that I planted and which has nuts this year for the first time), and info on the various critters living on the property (rabbits, possums, squirrels, marmots, racoons, some deer that visit now and then, and all the birds that would visit our feeders (including a family of crows and a mated pair of ducks)), and various other goodies, including info about ZS, prepping, and the forums here.
NT, you & Mrs. NT are the nicest & most caring previous owners I have ever known.

Respect.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”