What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by angelofwar » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:12 pm

Zimmy wrote:
angelofwar wrote:
Zimmy wrote:The wife and I are going to live out of our bug-out bags and the vehicle supplies in a mock bug out from Pensacola to Dallas today.

It's just about 12 hours, but we need to rotate our stocks in the bags anyway. We'll refuel on the roadside parks as we go.
Would like to hear the report! What worked, what didn't, etc.

Things went real well. My wife is a trooper. :clap:

We made planned stops at the Louisiana welcome center at the Mississippi line and at the Texas welcome center at the Louisiana line. The MRE pouches and granola type breakfast bars were sufficient but boring. We had a cooler full of water bottles so that went well.

I had worried about gas fumes in the car but the 5 gallon metal cans with the spring lids made sure that wasn't a problem. I do need to invest in a quality bent or flexible spout funnel with a larger outlet hole. What I had was woefully inadequate and required all four of our hands and a bunch of inconvenience to get the fuel into the car. Price will not really be an object on this after that wasteful and messy debacle. Any fuel smell came from my pants.

Nobody attacked us. There were no aliens or zombies or hazardous atmospheres. Mrs Zimmy quickly refused us driving around out of state with Texas plates and respirators on for fun.

I received a Damascus Bill Bagwell Hells Belle knife on this trip as a gift. I really wanted to be attacked by zombies or velociraptors. No such luck :gonk:
Ha-Ha! Sounds like my type of road-trip...LOL!

Got a Reese cargo rack for the Suburban, upgraded the CB from a Uniden PC68, to a PC78 Elite...built in SWR meter, get much better TX. Got my Remington 700 zeroed in and was finally able to shoot my S&W 442 :0). Oh, and I got a nice 6 band Panasonic FR-1150 for $10 at a consignment store. Much clearer FM than even modern radios. Plus, it can pick-up CB tx's!

The upgraded Uniden:

Roof Rack (need to get a bigger one...this is too small for this hugh thing...

Still, I can put some extra light weight bags and such on top, freeing up valuable interior space...

Also gathered some American Beauty Berries...flavor is hit or miss, but you can eat them raw in limited quantities:

Been upgrading my AMMO stores as well...as you can tell, .22 is back in stock :0)

Getting my pistol round count up as well...
Last edited by angelofwar on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 am

Signed up for First Reciever training at the end of the month. We don't do refresher here so it is the full monte again.
Boldly going nowhere

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:32 am

For more experimenting in foraging I ate some wild lotus roots from the swamps of east Texas.

I simmered it for a couple of hours until it was sorta soft then added some biltong shavings and wild turkey tail mushrooms for flavor and simmered another hour. The flavor of the lotus is a bit bland but not unpleasant. Kinda like a weak flavored turnip, sorta. Overall the dish was good.

http://www.foragingtexas.com/2006/04/lotus.html

http://www.foragingtexas.com/2012/02/tu ... rooms.html
Boldly going nowhere

celtic_phoenix
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by celtic_phoenix » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:54 pm

Lets see, got my folding saw(with its freebie Mora companion) for my BOB in the mail.
Snagged a Kaytadyn Vario water filtration unit from Amazon.com for 22 and change out of pocket(a gift card covered the rest).
Ordered a Gobspark Armageddon and a magnesium bar from firesteel.com yesterday, it shipped today.
Ordered a few cans of long term storage food, to make a case of one item and a half case of another.
And lastly got the serpentine belt on my BOV replaced as my other was starting to crack.

I think that about covers it, lets see what tomorrow brings.
ZS fleet number ZS-0491
Not all who wander are lost. J. R.R. Tolkien
You can take the girl out of Kansas, but can't take the Kansas out of the girl.

raistlin
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Favorite Movie: 28 Days Later. Recent Favorite book series: The Remaining by D.J. Molles.

Post by raistlin » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:53 pm

Just downloaded the simple version of Wikipedia from XOWA for offline use. Wrote about it some over here: http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=113891
"This is really every father's dream. Watching his son launch a ballistic missile on his own position."

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:53 pm

Picked up a couple of small battery storage devices for two of my kids that tend to run down their phones the fastest. Tiger Direct - $10 each after coupon. Not anything hysterically noteworthy about them but they work.

Hit an estate sale this morning and picked up a manual beater ... old rotary beater ... and for my daughter picked up a cast iron muffin pan. Been doing quite a bit the last couple of months all documented with pics on my blog.

zombieapocalypsegame
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Went shooting with my son, which was intended as first round of live-fire firearm instruction for him.

And of course it was practice for me. Loved how the rental Ruger 22 pistol shot - and it's clear my son prefers the smaller caliber right now too vs my PX4 Storm 9mm that is just too much for him yet.

Didn't shoot my newly built AR, but between doing that and getting my son interested & learning, I'll take B over A any day.

My son's already planning our next shoot, so I think I have him hooked. Now he understands precisely why I have all that brass, pounds of powder, boxes of primers, etc. :)
Zombie Apocalypse Games
The Zombies, They're Coming!
Once Fired Lake City Brass
Brass made for & only used by the US armed forces, well suited for reloading.

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:44 pm

"Practiced" gettign the Burb "un-stuck". Went looking for a new trail-head for the Palmetto Trail...the road was 100% impassible...clay built up in the tires and I was driving sideways a few times. Once I found a spot to turn around, I got stuck...pulled out the old E-Tool, and dug the back end out of the side of the road...used it to chop some rough pine, and placed sticks under all the tires. Didn't work at first, so then I tried putting sticks on both sides of the tire...that did the trick!

I was scared for a little bit...the road was THAT BAD!!! I had enough gear in the truck though were we would have been alright...water, tarps, CWG, food...called the State Park twice to try and ask for help, but eventually got out. Reported it to the rangers afterwards...hope they have the road repaired by next summer.

eugene

Post by eugene » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:10 pm

Did a check/restock of the truck and home FAK.
Checked the BOB's ifak and consumables and replaced some and noted others to buy.
Upgraded LibreOffice to the latest.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

ZomCon Sargeant
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1978), Dead Snow, Fido, Night of the Living Dead (1968 & 1989), Day of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Return of the living Dead, and Shaun of the Dead.

Post by ZomCon Sargeant » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Refreshing my First Responder Skills with co-workers.
"ZomCon: A better life through containment"

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:58 pm

Angelofwar ... American Beautyberries make a bodacious jelly. Real pretty pinkish to lavender color most of the time.

Kinzei
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Day of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, Dead Alive, Reanimator, Dead and Breakfast, Dead Snow, Army of Darkness, I am Legend, Juan of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombie land, Evil Dead 1 & 2, etc......

Post by Kinzei » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:09 am

Attended a self reliance convention in Houston. While there I completed a 3 hour suture and staple class presented by Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy from Doom and Bloom. It was a fantastic, hands on, well presented class. I also picked up Charley Hogwood's book "The Survival Group Handbook" looking forward to reading it. I also made some contacts with a reality based self defense system that is being taught in my vicinity. I'll probably drop in and follow up with those guys. It will be good supplemental training for what I have and am currently doing in that field.
Keep on galloping my black horse, carry me to unknown shores
through these outlandish woods, and with confidence back home.
Korpiklaani-Keep on Galloping

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:41 am

Kathy in FL wrote:Angelofwar ... American Beautyberries make a bodacious jelly. Real pretty pinkish to lavender color most of the time.
I had heard...hadn't gotten into jelly making yet, but they are a good supplemental finger food on the trail.

Next time I kill some wild game, I'm going to try a juniper berry rub...shoot, might even make some for my next steak...LOL!

Kathy in FL

Post by Kathy in FL » Sat Sep 13, 2014 11:12 am

zombieapocalypsegame wrote:Went shooting with my son, which was intended as first round of live-fire firearm instruction for him.

And of course it was practice for me. Loved how the rental Ruger 22 pistol shot - and it's clear my son prefers the smaller caliber right now too vs my PX4 Storm 9mm that is just too much for him yet.

Didn't shoot my newly built AR, but between doing that and getting my son interested & learning, I'll take B over A any day.

My son's already planning our next shoot, so I think I have him hooked. Now he understands precisely why I have all that brass, pounds of powder, boxes of primers, etc. :)
I learned on, and still prefer a Ruger Mark III.

Metzger

Post by Metzger » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:14 pm

30 minutes on the treadmill.. note to self, start out with shoes next time.

eugene

Post by eugene » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:38 pm

New rotors and brake pads on the truck/bov. Took 4 hours instead of two because one of the rotors was stuck on. I finally used my grinder to make a small notch where I could hammer a small chisel in between the rotor and hub.
2004 Silverado ECSB Z71 5.3L
2009 Giant Cypress DX, 1996 Specialized Rockhopper
Smith and Wesson M&P9c, M&P22
Map of our travels. Our EveryTrail page
My Garmin Connect Profile

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:50 pm

Thanks Kathy for the recommendation on the Mark III. I'll look into that for my son.

For a rifle, I really want a wood stock Ruger 10/22. But, frankly it is up to my boy since it'll be his budget driving the purchase.

ZAG
Zombie Apocalypse Games

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:12 pm

If you want a nice bolt .22 LR, look at the CZ 452.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

zombieapocalypsegame
28 Days Later

Post by zombieapocalypsegame » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:38 pm

Bought a bunch of canned goods at WalMart this weekend that I'd been meaning to do for a while. All in about $80
  • Soups (about 10 different kinds) - all of which my wife will eat. :)
  • Condensed soups - all of which my kids would eat. lol
  • Corn
  • Green beans
  • Black olives
  • Garbanzo beans
  • Pinto beans
  • Black beans
  • Navy beans (just one, haven't had them in years so have to try them out)
  • Black eye peas (ditto)
  • Peas
  • Carrots
  • Fruit cocktail
  • Pear halves
  • Mandarin oranges
  • Applesauce
  • Peanut butter (chunky, of course)
  • Chili + sloppy joe mix
  • Refried beans
  • Hazel nut spread
  • One small can of Spam
The can of Spam was a joke. I bought it, because my wife said her mother fried it in a pan for them, and I'm going to prove to her she will never want to do that again. hahahahahah

Canned chicken, tuna and real meat are next on my list.

Quick question - for meat-based canned goods such as the chili (no beans) and the sloppy joe mix - what is realistic for shelf life? We don't eat a lot of it, so I won't buy a lot & it will tend to sit long periods. But I did want to have it for food variety purposes.
Zombie Apocalypse Games

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Zimmy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:43 pm

Today I had a great day with the legendary knife maker and blade master Bill Bagwell.

Over a few hours, he taught me his deadly simple Bowie fighting technique. I've always won about 98% of matches in full speed sparring with a blade in any class I've been in. He spanked my ass thoroughly. By the end of the class I was winning about 30%. This is leaps and bounds of improvement over my old method.

He explained some of his manufacturing techniques for his Hell's Belle Damascus fighting bowies. Sure it was beyond my skill set but interesting as hell to learn and listen.

We discussed reloading info on long range rifle ammo. Especially the venerable .45-70. He and his wife both regularly shoot the Sharps .45-70 at ranges from 100-1100 yds. I didn't think that was possible until I saw the videos and the trophies they both have. Just f'ing amazing.

We went to the range and banged steel out to 485 yds with one of those .45-70 rifles. Open sights, hand cast bullets, and black powder loads at that.

A great day with a helluva nice guy. His wife even fed me gumbo for lunch.
Boldly going nowhere

skill1833

Post by skill1833 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:53 am

Slimmed down the bob and put together a ghb. Walked through what I have with the wife and will start her ghb tomorrow. Added a few sawyer filters and made a few posts on here.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:30 pm

zombieapocalypsegame wrote:Thanks Kathy for the recommendation on the Mark III. I'll look into that for my son.

For a rifle, I really want a wood stock Ruger 10/22. But, frankly it is up to my boy since it'll be his budget driving the purchase.

ZAG
Love the way the Mk II and Mk III shoot but loathe cleaning them (reassembly mostly) so we bought an SR-22. Love it so much I bought another! :awesome:

OT: Used the gift cards we received from Discount Tire for buying new wheels/tires for my son's truck to load up on a bunch of 300BLK ammo for a hog hunt this weekend at my buddy's ranch. And I'll send in the receipts and UPC codes to get $20 back from Remington's ongoing rebate.

Also we cleaned out the pantry this weekend to track down an odd smell...a couple forgotten potatoes in w/some condiments for some reason, yuck! Rotated some longer-term canned goods and later on my wife, who's slowly warming up to my prepping, out of the blue points out some decent deals on Costco.com for freeze-dried food storage packs.

Hinted that she may even start canning when her mom moves here this Winter!
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

blarp
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking-dead

Post by blarp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:41 pm

Whent to the range this last weekend. Have tons of brass to sort. Made good friends here locally all shoot and reload.

Ordered parts for a few rifles I'm building!

Cleaned up my hunting/overnight bag plus repacking my BoB for winter

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Went on a day hike in the Sierras here in California to a WW2 crash site of a B24 bomber. Total round trip mileage about 15 miles. Starting elevation was 9800' and highest was 12,120'. Basic pack with insulated jacket, food, rain jacket, gloves, spare socks, first aid, emergency gear, 3L water bladder, etc.
My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”