What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Wraith6761

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Wraith6761 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Caenus wrote:Fixed the a/c that the a/c company wanted to replace for $9k for $60. Yeah. Never calling them again.

Secured a $35/hr job after not working regularly for almost a year and "living" off of book royalties.

Yes...all in one day. Also bought several bottles of vodka to celebrate.
Wow...that's a hell of a day...kinda wishing I could have that kind of day.

All I did was find a couple of hidden boxes of jacketed .22lr in Bass Pro that someone had obviously tried to tuck in behind some other boxes, so it'd be there when they came back (everywhere around me is still limiting how many boxes per caliber per day you can buy).
Woods Walker wrote:...I don't think it matters if a backpack has Dora the Explorer on it. Based on my observations from years of hunting and fishing if something looks and acts like prey it will draw in predators.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:22 am

We applied for (earlier) and received (Today) our Smiths/Kroger 1-2-3 Rewards card.

Credit right? Doesn't sound like much of a prep. But see, we have our entire budget and meal menu planned out a month in advance at all times, and we do our shopping once a month. This is going to help us prep two ways. One, the rewards help us accumulate more grocery preps, which didn't happen with the cash so much. Two, by using this card and immediately paying it off instead of just using the cash, we're rebuilding my credit score from when it tanked a few years ago.

The trick is to not use it without the cash at hand to pay the bill right away.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

mrbill

Post by mrbill » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:02 am

it was actually a couple days ago, but I managed to score 4 cases of mre's for free.
beware the wrath of a patient man

Pat138
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, The Zombie Diaries.

Post by Pat138 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:43 pm

Catalogued and dated all the canned food preps I have, and organized them on some legitimate shelving. Picked up a few more cases of bottled water. Got a high visibility rain jacket for my truck kit. Started to look into some local first aid courses, CPR training, etc. Also beginning the process of selling off a lot of my musical equipment that never gets used anymore to supplement some prepping goals and also for some emergency cash to put away. :D

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:37 pm

I'm selling off musical gear too, hard to do but it's freeing up space and money. I've just started turning a small profit from re-cycling and re-purposing bicycles, after deciding I would build up bike mechanic skills as a hedge against economic, oil supply and obesity concerns.

Success.
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

echo2

Post by echo2 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Extended range on Jeep....

ambulanceman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ambulanceman » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:33 pm

Wraith6761 wrote:
Caenus wrote:Fixed the a/c that the a/c company wanted to replace for $9k for $60. Yeah. Never calling them again.

Secured a $35/hr job after not working regularly for almost a year and "living" off of book royalties.

Yes...all in one day. Also bought several bottles of vodka to celebrate.
Wow...that's a hell of a day...kinda wishing I could have that kind of day.

All I did was find a couple of hidden boxes of jacketed .22lr in Bass Pro that someone had obviously tried to tuck in behind some other boxes, so it'd be there when they came back (everywhere around me is still limiting how many boxes per caliber per day you can buy).
I agree with you but finding .22 ammo is a pretty big deal where I'm at.. if I see any I buy it (which is never) and I don't even have a .22 yet. Although I plan to get one soon

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:58 pm

Got 4 Aquamira Survival Straws at half the cost (~$20), and a copy of "98.6 degrees" by Cody Lundin.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

RustyG
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by RustyG » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:06 am

Bought a 48 oz nalgene bottle, a blastmatch fire steel, fox 40 whistle and two Solar survival blankets. I also ordered a Condor jungle bowie
It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
Hunter S. Thompson
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
Mike Tyson

Mountainsquid
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead(Snyder), Zombieland

Post by Mountainsquid » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:28 am

Ordered a ARRL Technician study guide. Going to try to get a Ham license in the next few months or so.

slicknickns
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Dawn of the Dead, 1977

Post by slicknickns » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:29 am

4 gallons of water for the garage, stocked furnace room with total 20 gallons, bought some canned food to fill my bottom shelf and bought a total of 20 AA batteries

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:00 am

We're supposed to get a snow storm tomorrow so I did some shopping last night. Just bought some minor things to enjoy the day snowed in.

- Pasta
- Sauce
- Veggies
- Italian Sausage
- Charcoal
- Lamp oil
- Cigars
- Whiskey
- Made sure the cable bill was paid.
- Top off gas tonight

All my other preps are good to go.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:14 am

74 or more wrote:We're supposed to get a snow storm tomorrow so I did some shopping last night. Just bought some minor things to enjoy the day snowed in.

- Pasta
- Sauce
- Veggies
- Italian Sausage
- Charcoal
- Lamp oil
- Cigars
- Whiskey

- Made sure the cable bill was paid.
- Top off gas tonight

All my other preps are good to go.
And that's how it's done. Well played sir.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:25 am

NamelessStain wrote:And that's how it's done. Well played sir.
haha Thank you sir. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

Black Sheep
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days, Tetsuo, Redneck Zombies, Braindead, Dawn remake, Return of the Living Dead, Evil Dead, Matango, The Quick and the Undead, The Last Man on Earth, Wild Zero!

Post by Black Sheep » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:52 pm

Applied mortar and bitumen to my roof, sprayed the weeds that block the open drain behind my yard and worked towards liquidating my awesome but unused Warhammer 40K toys and books. Did some work on my garden beds.

Nearly 30 degrees C (86F, you're welcome) outside, I'd say I'm ready for winter but there's no whiskey in the house.

I hope you guys get through those storms in comfort btw.
Fear? I know not fear. There are only moments of confusion. Some of them are deeply stamped on my memory and a few will haunt me forever. Hunter S. Thompson

Eschew the monumental. Shun the Epic. All the guys who can paint great big pictures can paint great small ones. Ernest Hemingway

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Got my GE wired security camera that I paid $34 for...and a second one on the way to make 4 total...but, included in the package with my $34 camera was a $140 dollar wireless version as well :D Got those wired up, increasing situational awareness around the BOL...now I can monitor the sitrep from the man cave or the house :clap:
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

leadpulaski

Post by leadpulaski » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:20 am

Cleaned out the pantry and donated stuff I will likely never eat. Now i'm at war with a rodent so the pantry is lined with traps :vmad:

Aside from that it was business as usual, cardio and weight training.

leadpulaski

Post by leadpulaski » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:21 am

echo2 wrote:Extended range on Jeep....

I'm glad you posted in here. I saw your Jeep in the Bug Out Vehicle page and wanted to say, Sweet Jeep!

killemall
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by killemall » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:30 pm

yesterday I got two 5 gallon gas cans and Stabil (filled the cans). Got a fleece, shell and hiking boots delivered. Also bought a case of spaghetti sauce. Packed some totes with camping gear and cleared a drawer for some of my hiking gear (can quickly throw in a tote for bugging out).

Las Vegan

Post by Las Vegan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:22 am

I did a little shopping this weekend:

• New Gen 4 Glock 19 blue label (comes with three 15-round magazines)
• Two 17-round magazines, plus X-Grip magazine adapters
• 500 rounds of 9mm
• Kydex holster from Crossfire Tactical Gear for the G19
• His 'n' hers GHBs (LA Police Gear Operator Backpack for him, LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack for her)
• LA Police Gear Operator L2 flashlight (730 lumens for $40 and small enough for EDC??!!)
• 2 mini CREE LED pocket flashlights
• 2 NAR Hyfin chest seals
• 2 Israeli bandages
• 1 CAT tourniquet
• Amoxicillin - 500mg (100 Count)
• Ampicillin - 250mg (100 Count)
• Kydex sheath for my Ka Bar TDI

I also signed up for Community Emergency Response Team training for me and my girl next month.
AR-15, Glock, and Soylent.

procyon

Post by procyon » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:46 am

Las Vegan wrote:• Amoxicillin - 500mg (100 Count)
Not sure of the rationale behind the two different atb.
Amox and Amp have nearly identical spectrums of activity.

OT, I finally dropped the last of the trees that I need to replace what got burned this winter.
Now I just need to get busy sharpening chains... :roll:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Las Vegan

Post by Las Vegan » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:48 am

procyon wrote:
Las Vegan wrote:• Amoxicillin - 500mg (100 Count)
Not sure of the rationale behind the two different atb.
Amox and Amp have nearly identical spectrums of activity.
While there are minor differences (absorption levels, penetration of Gram negative cell membranes, etc.), I was really just rounding out my meds and covering all bases. This was a shopping trip, not a complete list of my medical preps.
AR-15, Glock, and Soylent.

Gingerbread Man
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Gingerbread Man » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:56 am

Broke the mystical barrier. I've been working on my chin ups for years but could not get past 5 per set. Last night, I focused on extending the set.

I finally broke through and did 3 sets of 7.

Today, I'm proud of myself. :clap:

ETA: Did the APFT and got a 236 which is a GO for the Army. I'm "In compliance" for weight.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel wrote "nobody is trying to be a dick and give out warnings for every little thing" :|
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DS1icEssOUM

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:26 pm

Worked on biggest bang nutrition for quantity of food available during an Event.

Began... again... learning to sprout grains, seeds, legumes for concentrated and 'live' nutrition if I need to live on canned and boxed foods for a moderate Event. (multiplies provided protein & many nutrients the body needs during Event stress)

Learned to extend bean soaking time to greatly reduce bodily gas production when consuming, which I think will be a positive benefit billeting with others in an Event and beans turn out to be main dietary staple to keep us going for a while. (survival on more than one level. LOL)

Learned that soaking grains, seeds, legumes removes the enzyme inhibitors nature supplies as a coating on the grain, seed, legume .....so their nutrients are better utilized by the human body. (Increased nutrition in time of fewer food choices and scarcity of food)

Extended usable storage space in my tiny apartment (enclosed shelves, boxes, closets now packed) by using lunch size paper bags to make sleeves for additional storage that must sit out AND be shielded from light to remain safe (as in clear bottles of water) and retain optimal nutrition (as in home canned foods... dry & regular canning)

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”