What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dragon80
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later and Dawn of the Dead

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Dragon80 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Actually I've made a couple of purchases recently and a change of platform, so let's see here...

I'm making the change from my .40 cal XD to Glock 19 9mm. Have XD Big Dots on the way for the 19 and the XD will have a new home by the weekend.
Picked up a couple of things last weekend during the labor day sale at REI. Got an Arc'Teryx Atom LT for a good price and a Goal Zero Lighthouse Lantern for $25 under normal price. The lantern will be a great addition because my neighborhood has a very unreliable grid and I use candles several times a year for a day or more at a time.

On to the good stuff!!!
Incoming Wednesday are a Camelbak Trizip and a Catoma EBNS. I've fallen in love with the Futura Harness and this pack is way cheaper than the MR 3DAP and comparable in every way, yet comes with a free bladder. I'm also finally filling my needs of a somewhat lightweight and somewhat packable 1 man tent system that can be used pretty much year round in Indiana. I'll be getting some gear pics up later this week.

I normally don't make this many large (to me) purchases in such a short period of time but things have just aligned correctly and it has happened!
BOB also used for backpacking
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=114606

GHB dedicated thread in need of serious updating!!!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=112108

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:39 am

Cleaning the household. Boxing stuff to transfer to the new home.
Talked the engineer and we discussed some things of concern. Good thing I'll be able to install a small water tank for backup water supply.

Wife and I signed up for a handgun course.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Bought two identical bicycles, a couple of inner tubes, a couple of hand pumps and headlights and a helmet. Assembled one of them, keeping the other one in the box because I don't have room. I can easily assemble it if I want to give someone a bike but the plan is to keep it for parts.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

echo2

Post by echo2 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:39 pm

procyon wrote:
echo2 wrote:refinishing shotguns
Nice.
1100's ?

Oh yes, on topic.

Broke out the files and stones, and sharpened up the axes/hatchets to get the last of the wood split.
We always cut a bunch of old dead wood late in the year as 'trash wood' to just heat up the house on the cool October mornings, without burning any of the seasoned hardwood.

And on to canning veges. Corn, tomatoes...
I hate pressure cookers.
1148 and two 870s

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:44 am

echo2 wrote:1148 and two 870s
Cool.
Pics are little on this work station. Could see one had the recoil spring behind the receiver. Just figured you pulled the other two off to replace springs or such.
Haven't run into a Mod 11 for a long time around here. Not sure I have seen a 48 since I was a kid.

Back to OT.

Ate a lot.
Ok, let me explain...
For (I think) the first time at my house, we managed to run out of mason jars. This year was so good for the berries and fruit trees.
But we canned so much fruit, we have run out of jars before we have finished with the veges.
Soooo...we are currently scarfing down the oldest stock to make room for the new.

The things you have to do...
:clap:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:04 pm

Woo been a while since I've posted to this thread gotta think and catch up (which isn't a bad problem to have).

Last Week
1) Took advantage of the LBT 40% off sale, made a tactical rappel kit with 100' of rope, 2 carabiners, 10.5' length of rope for swiss seat, two 12' webbing strips for anchors, and an 8.
2) Practiced making snares of different types both in the day and after dark.\
3) Located all Maple Trees on my property and marked them for syrup production.
4) Went for a short hike to test out new day pack.
5) Received solar equipment from Amazon.

This Week
1) Built external housing for battery bank and charging controller for solar panels.
2) Recycled neighbor's old satellite dish mounting hardware into array controller for solar panel. It is very high speed if I may say so 8-)
3) Picked remaining apples off the trees.
4) At work picked up set of FDE furniture for one of my M4's to help with the changing season.
5) Improved on my APFT! :D
6) Currently pricing next order of Mountain House foods yeehaw.

Okay not all today, but whatever haha.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:06 am

today I...
-studied material for an EMT-B course in december
-washed out my hydration bladder
-remembered to put head torch on charge after using it
-worked to earn money to put towards my various projects
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:56 am

Took a week long course on handguns and shotguns. Tied as the top shooter in the class. Was pretty happy about that; till I discovered that my newest Glock has a NY trigger in it.
Blah. Would have performed much better w/o it; my 25 yard work wasn't up to my norm. Least I know why.

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:03 pm

This week- range time with my Glock 19, 3 miles on the track, got EMP bags and put my comms in them. Studying for Ham Tech license.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:48 pm

Pistol club committee approved my permit to acquire a Ruger MkIII Target, now just gotta wait for the cops to approve it, then wait 28days and its mine
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Finally saved up enough to go buy a chest freezer unit. Got a 5.0 C.F. GE unit from the Home Depot for right at $200 with tax and all. Unit has good online reviews, and it's a lot bigger than one would think a 5 cubic foot freezer would be.

Woot woot, now I can take more advantage of meat sales etc. at the grocery store.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Armor76

Post by Armor76 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:48 pm

This week

Got 93 pounds of beef in primal cuts. Wife and I learned how to break them down into usable cuts, and vacuum sealed everything for the freezer (It was actually really fun to learn!) We rendered down the fat for tallow, made and canned a couple gallons of soup stock, a dozen quarts of stew meat, and 10 pounds of ground beef. We also got a great deal on some spare ribs for the freezer. We are just about set for meat this winter. Next week we start canning fruits and veggies from the garden.

Transferred banks (BOA can suck it if they think we are paying a penalty of $24 a month to put our money in their bank... they can call it a fee if they want... what they are really saying is go elsewhere... so we did, and set up individual accounts for each of us to track spending)

Saved up money, paid down debt. 10 months from now credit cards bills dating all the way back to college will be gone!
You are responsible for you.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. Gloria Steinem
In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.

Lots of good advice/philosophy here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUq6YotwOIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It really starts at the 40 second mark.

taipan821

Post by taipan821 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:37 am

Started to order some medical supplies for my medical kit
sent in paperwork to get my amateur radio licence
got a good reason to buy better tarp (old tarp broke)
Tropical Cyclone Ita: Category 5 landfall 2014
Tropical Cyclone Marcia: Category 5 landfall 2015
Tropical Cyclone Nathan: Category 3 landfall 2015
Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie: Category 4 landfall 2017
Watsonville/Walsh River Bushfire 2018
North Queensland Monsoonal Event 2019
New South Wales Bushfires 2019

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:15 pm

Sharpened a few knives.
Sent off an email in relation to buying a Vortex Strikefire red dot for my Remmy 7600P.
Got shipping confirmation on a cheek riser and a buttstock pad, also for my 7600P. And a holster for my coming Ruger mk3
Ordered 100 fishmox forte.
Exchanged a few private messages with a local prepper I met on another forum. It's all about networking.

ais4122

Post by ais4122 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:02 pm

Got a Tactical Tailor operators bag, Maxpedition bottle holder, and Tourniquet holder. Also took and Passed the Technician amatuer radio exam
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:48 am

ais4122 wrote:. Also took and Passed the Technician amatuer radio exam
CONGRATS!!!
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

Whackpack7

Post by Whackpack7 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:38 pm

Not sure if others think it will help with preparing, but I passed my FEMA Structural Collapse/Urban Search and Rescue Technician practical and written examinations. Had to have it for work on the racksque truck :mrgreen:

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:35 am

Picked up 2 pallets (tons) of chicken feed to see us through the next 6 months or so.
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:13 am

DJH wrote:Finally saved up enough to go buy a chest freezer unit. Got a 5.0 C.F. GE unit from the Home Depot for right at $200 with tax and all. Unit has good online reviews, and it's a lot bigger than one would think a 5 cubic foot freezer would be.

Woot woot, now I can take more advantage of meat sales etc. at the grocery store.
Maybe next spring get some chicks...in 6-7 weeks you can fill that with your own chicken. Also, might want to think about a freezer alarm. Losing a freezer full of meat just sucks said the man who bought an alarm after the fact.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:28 pm

KYZHunters wrote:Maybe next spring get some chicks...in 6-7 weeks you can fill that with your own chicken. Also, might want to think about a freezer alarm. Losing a freezer full of meat just sucks said the man who bought an alarm after the fact.
If we were allowed to get chicks (Stoopid HOA.) we'd already have them lol - it's in the plans for our next place.

Nice tip on that Freezer alarm. I'm on that, thanks!
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:19 pm

Rotated all my AR ready mags. Cleaned all my 1911's. Checked all my electronic hearing protections and two way radios.

ais4122

Post by ais4122 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:41 pm

Added food preps to my emergency pantry, donated soon to expire food to the food bank, packed up all comms into a and organized comms go bag, qualified and transitioned from a Glock 19 to a 40cal Glock 27, studying for General Class amatuer radio exam.
Aim small, Miss small

74 or more
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 74 or more » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:46 am

Started foundation for food preps, did a once over of my GHB, and finally ran 6 miles twice in a row without stopping.
Montani Semper Liberi
"There is no bad Bourbon, only better Bourbon"
"If I cannot smoke cigars in heaven, I shall not go" -Mark Twain

My EDC/GHB

ais4122

Post by ais4122 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 pm

Got my Bao Feng hooked up to a 2 meter antenna and now able to pick up strong signals. Got intel from an Elmer and decided to get a Yaesu FT 1900 for mobile comms on my truck. Practiced CW and studied for General license. Satisfied that my emergency comms are headed in the right direction. Inventoried 22lr- hit my goal of 5K rds.
Aim small, Miss small

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”