What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by angelofwar » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:07 pm

Been improving greatly on my compass/navigation skills...reading/think/apply/practice...a lot more confident in my abilities in that realm. Also grabbed 200 :clap: 4x4 gauzes from a consignment shop for $1.50. Looks like my gauze requirements are taken care of for a awhile.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:15 am

My ordered 5.11 All Hazards Prime bag arrived. Sucker's bigger than I thought it was going to be...
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Armor76

Post by Armor76 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:32 pm

(this week actually)

Learned to do brake jobs ourseleves on the car and truck.
Dehydrated about 10 pounds of onions from the garden that were too small to store (did this OUTSIDE)
Dismantled several small broken appliances to scavenge parts (cords, motors, switches)
Bought a big refrigerator (cheap) from craigslist to store root veggies in over the winter. (garden is huge as always)
Building up pantry with goodies from Costco.
Continued search for canned/frozen veggies that the wife and I don't find disgusting. (So far, we have found...corn and spinach)
You are responsible for you.
The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off. Gloria Steinem
In most cases, people, even wicked people, are far more naive and simple-hearted than one generally assumes. And so are we.

Lots of good advice/philosophy here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUq6YotwOIo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It really starts at the 40 second mark.

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:59 am

My first attempt at char cloth. Used my stanley camp cup thinger with holes already machined into the lid. Worked out awesome, and now charcloth will always in be in my load out.

CoTTer

Post by CoTTer » Tue Aug 13, 2013 5:32 pm

Worked out, now benching 260 for 4 sets of 8-10 reps.
Also bought 500 rounds of 22lr.

Fr33M@s0n

Post by Fr33M@s0n » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:57 am

I planned my on-foot bug out route from my place of work to my mother's place of work. I work full time days as a security officer in the cwe of St. Louis. My mother sits behind bullet proof glass at the police department of a local university, 3.2 miles from where I work.

I own a Ford Exploder which is my dd/bov but a few times a week my fiancee drops me off at work and takes the Exploder to class or work since her Mercedes Assault Vehicle (MAV) is out of service. I have been planning my escape route if the shtf while I am at work w/o a vehicle. The obvious bug out is to get to my mother's police department and then get home from there.

I have 3 routes available and limited supplies. All I have is what is on my belt or in my 5.11s. 2 sets of cuffs, tac light, folder, nitrile gloves in TSA blue, inhaler, phone and 2-way radio. Not much useful stuff so my best option is to beat feet and run like hell if there were an attack, disaster or social unrest.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

procyon

Post by procyon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:06 am

Made our first batch of homemade pectin.

We have a couple wild apple trees that are WAY to tart to eat (cider isn't bad, but just not worth the trouble when I have other trees that are much better), but snagging apples off them to make pectin so we can save some $ on canning the raspberry preserves, peach preserves, strawberry preserves, grape jelly, apple jelly, etc, etc,....

Found how to do it here on this site! So cool! :clap:
... I will show you fear in a handful of dust...

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:18 am

Fr33M@s0n wrote:I planned my on-foot bug out route from my place of work to my mother's place of work. I work full time days as a security officer in the cwe of St. Louis. My mother sits behind bullet proof glass at the police department of a local university, 3.2 miles from where I work.

I own a Ford Exploder which is my dd/bov but a few times a week my fiancee drops me off at work and takes the Exploder to class or work since her Mercedes Assault Vehicle (MAV) is out of service. I have been planning my escape route if the shtf while I am at work w/o a vehicle. The obvious bug out is to get to my mother's police department and then get home from there.

I have 3 routes available and limited supplies. All I have is what is on my belt or in my 5.11s. 2 sets of cuffs, tac light, folder, nitrile gloves in TSA blue, inhaler, phone and 2-way radio. Not much useful stuff so my best option is to beat feet and run like hell if there were an attack, disaster or social unrest.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
Why not pack a small Get Home Bag (GHB)? Some protein bars/water, basic survival supplies, etc.? Plenty of them to be looked at on the forum to give you some ideas.

Harbinger

Post by Harbinger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:05 am

Kettlebell workout finished off with a bit of kali practice. Picked up the new version of the cold steel barong machete - sweetness at $25.00.
“I am the Sword of my Family and the Shield of my Nation. If sent, I will crush everything you have built, burn all that you love, and kill every single one of you."

Ambrose
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Ambrose » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:35 pm

picked up a rain barrel for the garden and a Cammenga compass
Amateur Extra Class Ham Radio Operator Check out The Zombie Squad Radio Club to learn more.

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:08 pm

Picked up a few hundred more small rifle primers and a couple boxes of ammo to keep the slow build going to deepen our stocks...nice to be able to just walk into my local stores and get ammo and reloading supplies off the shelves again.

Going out today to look at some high capacity water storage options (pools! :wink: )... Also nice to have the wife coming on board with preps that happen to augment our day-to-day life.

Will hopefully pick up a couple rain gutter water barrels today too...we've been forced to accelerate our backyard landscaping plans now that we have neighbors behind us. The house was just finished and our new neighbors moved in this week. First thing they did this morning was build a big ass shed that sticks up over the fence...wife's not happy. Good excuse to put in raised beds along the back fence with a nice fast-growing tall hedge and the plan is to make them wide enough to have a narrow (2' max) but very long (72') garden in front of the hedge. Will put in a couple fruit trees on the ends as well.
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Jamie
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD04, Special Dead, Shaun of the Dead, 28 ______ Later

Post by Jamie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Spent the weekend camping and paddling with my son: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 33e2f54851" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jamie
"I don't want to survive. I want to live. " - Captain B. McCrea

My Blog and website, dealing largely with my writing projects...I've published two novels, "Here Be Monsters" and "Caretakers", along with a pair of eBooks, "Mickey Slips" and "Bound for Home"...check them out!

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:18 am

Been out a comp for a couple days so I'm late with this (actually happened over the weekend) but the missus & I attended CCW class & qualified on 9mm SA.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Terminus est

Post by Terminus est » Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:32 pm

Finally bought a good firesafe to keep papers and my stash of silver in.
There is no .45 VS 9mm thread that cannot be ended by a .22 to the forehead.

aus.templar

Post by aus.templar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:59 am

Made some pre-cut pieces of plastic sheeting, measured to the size of the downstairs windows. Put them folded up and marked with sizing in a bag with enough duct tape and nails to secure them. Still need more sheeting, the first lot was small as a trial but it worked well so I'll do the rest sometime next week.
shrapnel wrote:Shut the fuck up, you'll meet me and you'll like me or I'll fucking cut you. :twisted:
SMoAF wrote: I collect foodstuffs so that I can stay alive long enough to exhaust my ammo supply.
jamoni wrote: You win. I hope it helps you get chicks.
And on the eighth day Man forged a knife and took survival into his own hands.

angelofwar

Post by angelofwar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:30 am

Painted my gun case, did the monthly function check on the genny, and field stripped an old, but working, lawn-mower. Will use the wheels to build a wagon, and the motor will be for an attempt at a home made genny, just so I can say I did it. Now just need to grab an old alternator, and some heavy wood to mount the two.

Redeyes
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of The Living Dead 1968

Post by Redeyes » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Over the last two weeks I and my girlfriend moved a bunch of stuff and performed other labors for a couple who are closing down their restaurant. I received free shelving, around 100lbs of frozen meat, free wine and sake, around 20lb of butter, and some cash.

Pro tip. When closing down a restaurant that is in a rented space, have a plan in place so you don't leave behind $1000's of dollars worth of appliances and fixtures. Even at fire sale prices the couple left behind around 6 grand worth of stuff, simply because they were too cheap and disorganized to hire a contractor to remove them.

Team Beards&Irons MilCopp 2013

Browning 35 for ZS President 2016. Make Zombie Squad Great Again!

allofthemonkeys

Post by allofthemonkeys » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:52 pm

Went to work (need the cash) and tested my batch of homemade biltong. It was spicier than I expected, which made it fun for my baby to eat, I mean fun to watch my baby eat :)
When I was born, they told me the chance of getting out of this life alive was slim.

ancient_serpent

Post by ancient_serpent » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:43 pm

Completed a week long ground combatives class. Learned a couple of new things, got to test out some old things and see if I still liked them.

Tobias05
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: "The Walking Dead" on AMC

Post by Tobias05 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:44 am

Bought 650 rounds of 22lr and mowed the grass. Packing up for a camping trip for the next four days.

procyon

Post by procyon » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:35 am

Got the last of the grapes and apples processed and canned.
I don't want to deal with any more fruit for at least a month....

echo2

Post by echo2 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:48 pm

refinishing shotguns

BloodLust

Post by BloodLust » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:37 pm

echo2 wrote:refinishing shotguns
Nice work.

Just replaced my car's AC compressor.
Installed ceramic headlight sockets to handle heat better.
Installed high wattage rally headlights.

A new 8.9" Android tablet. Bigger screen helps when reading manuals and books.

Put a buffer of a couple of months for the mortgage.
Erik wrote:First of all, I doubt your body is a weapon and if you threatened me with your body, I'd pull out a real weapon and see which is more effective.
Bear_B wrote: I am not too worried about the bullet with my name on it... its the bullets flying around with question marks on them that worry me.

procyon

Post by procyon » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:30 pm

echo2 wrote:refinishing shotguns
Nice.
1100's ?

Oh yes, on topic.

Broke out the files and stones, and sharpened up the axes/hatchets to get the last of the wood split.
We always cut a bunch of old dead wood late in the year as 'trash wood' to just heat up the house on the cool October mornings, without burning any of the seasoned hardwood.

And on to canning veges. Corn, tomatoes...
I hate pressure cookers.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”