What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by DJH » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Got the supplies ready for all jelly & jam making we're gonna be doing this week since our apricots are ripe.
When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

Belair56

Post by Belair56 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:39 pm

Bought some Mobil one synthetic oil, on sale at the Ft. Drum PX for $1.99 a qt.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:09 am

Set up 67 gallons potable water & 14.5 gallons non-potable.

Finished current inventory:
**With availability to get water I have 50 days of tasty eating & another 27-29 of boring eating, plus another two weeks of survivable eating = I will have reached 90 days of survivable food preps.
**With no availability to get more water I have just under 60 days ready today.

redneckzombiekiller
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, The Walking Dead (amc)

Post by redneckzombiekiller » Fri Jul 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Picked up steel from salvage yard to begin fabrication and welding my window security bars. Unfortunately that's about it today :gonk:

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:29 pm

I registered for a Tactical Carbine course with RedBack One :clap:
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

redneckzombiekiller

Post by redneckzombiekiller » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:12 pm

Tried to apply at link for ZS Fleet but I did not fully read and understand the requirements ( got to be an actual card holder, so just got to wait a bit more.)
But I did however pick up a new Black-Hawk Holster for my S&W .40 And another 50 rounds of 180 grain H.P.'s

hutchb25

Post by hutchb25 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:01 pm

I purchased a big canning pot, starter canning tools, some of the small jam jars and a thing of extra lids. The girlfriend and I will start our canning adventure tomorrow, starting with butter. We're somewhat successfully growing vegetables now, and we have some food laid away, but fats and proteins that both of us can eat are going to be difficult for us to obtain or produce if things go south. And dammit I love butter.
"Listen to me! Sometimes, possession is an abstract concept..."

Jeriah
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Original Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead 04, and 28 Days Later are my top three, in that order.

Post by Jeriah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 pm

Walked 10 miles, for the sake of doing so, not counting the regular out-and-about walking.
Moved the light on my AR to what I think is a more practical position.

echo2

Post by echo2 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:34 am

DJH
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Walking Dead TV series, anything George Romero

Post by DJH » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 am

Got my NATO cans in the mail. Woot woot.

When I die, bury me 8 feet under, so I'll still be lower than all my friends.

graingurl

Re:

Post by graingurl » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:05 am

Dave_M wrote: -Dehydrating some beef crumbles right now
recipe??

Neville

Post by Neville » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:36 pm

Earlier this week, acquired the mount and put the Surefire on my AR.

The wife and I both took an AR-15 fundamentals class yesterday.

We got more familiar with our carbines, built some muscle memory.

Found out some problems with the guns, which was great! Great, in that we are finding them now... and not when we are under attack. We'll have to acquire some new mags and tinker with her gun a bit.

Also discovered I'm going to have to re-mount the Vortex Sparc up higher on my KT Sub-2k... The foam padding on the buffer tube solved the issue with face-impact, but I cannot get low enough to use the irons or the co-witness on the Sparc without great effort. That's ok, I have adapters to raise the Sparc to where I should be able to use it fine.

redneckzombiekiller

Post by redneckzombiekiller » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Took the family on a camping trip out on the river this weekend. Decided to test out the BOB on this trip for a family of four. Fortunately the gear packed worked well (Even though the gear for a 2 and 1 year old is a lot). Got to condense the gear down a bit still. But all went well, got to get some target practice in, bit of fishing, and craw fish catching. Had to call the trip shot late last night and come home a day early, one of my sons got car sick on the way out, and just was not having it.
But other than the car sickness, I still think it was a good trip and a great trail test on our family BOB.

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:33 pm

Not specifically today, but all in the last week:

Bought a food canning starter kit, I should have a surplus of zucchini and tomatoes from the garden this year and want to preserve some of it.

Replaced the tired old 12v battery on our trailer with a matched pair of 12v deep cycle batteries for 240ah of capacity and backed it up with a small solar panel set up (55w) to keep the batteries topped up while the fridge is running and to handle the parasitic loads while we aren't actually IN the trailer during the week. This isn't really a prep as it's a recreational use trailer but it is better set up to run for an extended period on 40 acres of land with access to a lake so in the event of an extended power outage we do have a place that at least has lights and fridge so long as the propane holds out.
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

Katica

Post by Katica » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:08 am

I was at the Vancouver Folk Music Festival the other day and one of the booths there was selling Lifestraw water filters. So I bought two.

They had Berkey's for sale too but those are pricier so I just eyed them longingly and took a business card for future reference.
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.

"Hurricane season is officially underway. Be sure to stock up on gas, beer, ham hocks, gunpowder & guitar strings"

Krustofski wrote:I'm just two fucks short of a shitton of food. Please keep in mind that the metric shitton is slightly larger than the US customary shitton.

ais4122
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by ais4122 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:46 am

Took the kids to the track for a two mile jog. Prepping my gear for a tactical carbine course I'm taking next month.
Aim small, Miss small

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=30558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hutchb25

Post by hutchb25 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:29 pm

Butter Canning after-action: 2 lbs of butter canned pretty easily. End Times Report has great instructions and they report good results from their own ongoing endeavors. The key to keeping the butter buttery is to shake it and keep it from separating as it firms up. This should keep for 3-5 years...not really sure how I'm going to rotate it, since we don't use a -lot- of butter, and I wouldn't want to can less than 2 lbs at a time I don't think...
"Listen to me! Sometimes, possession is an abstract concept..."

redneckzombiekiller

Post by redneckzombiekiller » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:52 pm

I guess this would only be normal but, cleaned and oiled all firearms, organized and aired out all camp gear, and still working on condensing down family BOB.

Funny thing did happen today, the wife always rolls her eyes at me when I'm buying and maintaining gear. But she said that if my only hang up was the end of the civilized world, well she guess she would keep me :lol:

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:18 pm

Within the past 24 hours:
*Posted craigslist ads for extra computer parts I no longer need. (3 towers, 3 boxes of misc parts, and a CRT monitor) <-- any money from said sales will go towards a new laptop, when I can afford it.
*Sorted my large bag, originally for INCH, (now "I'm neatly caching here" bag) for items I don't plan on ever using. (removed a whole box, going on craigslist)
*Organized the three shelves of space I have for prep gear/bags. (including placing the food bag inside an 18 gallon storage container, and organizing/rotating the contents)
*Read more on food storage and budgeting. (knowledge)

Assault Life

Post by Assault Life » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Bought a new gen3 Glock 19 with Trijicon sights
2 extra mags
I fear not the Valley, for I am the Shadow

tedbeau

Post by tedbeau » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:30 pm

Well it's only lunch time here, but yesterday I packed away (3) pouches of shorelunch dehydrated soup mic that my wife bought for or emergency food storage. While I was in the bin I decided to sort out the old canned and dry goods. I rotated some granola bars out of storage into our kitchen pantry and tossed out three cans of food. I was actually surprised that there wasn't more expired food. I did leave a few cans in the bin that were just past expired because I figure they are still good for another 6 months. I added a few more cans to the bin also.

Last week I got the GHB's out of both my wife and my car, replaced the water bottles in them and added a few items that I picked up in the past few months that never got into the GHB's.

In two weeks I am going to a gun show and plan on picking up some things one of which is a small bottle of Gunzilla gun cleaner for my BOB. I just purchased molle type pouch that I want to put some cleaning rags and my AK tool/cleaning kit into along with cleaner and grease for the AK.

LyraJean
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (Sidney Poitier)
Shaun of the Dead
ZombieLand

Post by LyraJean » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:35 pm

My husband works for a company that gets a lot of sample products that the company makes. About a week ago he brought home a FoodSaver Vacuum Packaging System. I can't wait to use it.
My blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear A blog about Florida History

Meat N' Taters

Post by Meat N' Taters » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Girded my loins. It was agonizing. I had to bite down on a dishtowel to keep from screaming.

engineer1371

Post by engineer1371 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:42 am

LyraJean wrote:My husband works for a company that gets a lot of sample products that the company makes. About a week ago he brought home a FoodSaver Vacuum Packaging System. I can't wait to use it.

they work great I just bought 150 pounds of meat for the freezer and vacuum sealed it all to guard against freezer.burn. keeps for about two years and stays fresh

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”