What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Duffman
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: What Did You Do Today To Prepare?

Post by Duffman » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:40 pm

roOism wrote:Filed my taxes!
You getting any prepping money back?

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:53 pm

Got 10 pounds of sugar and 10 pounds of flour. Clean, deodorized and "bleached" a white #2 plastic white pail, that formerly held custard filling. Packed the flour and sugar into the pail, marked it and tucked it away in my basement "pantry".

Cardio: I haven't run since Monday, I need to get in a least a mile tomorrow.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:08 am

Making my first batch of artisan bread right now. Got to go work on reorganizing my preps.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:20 am

Well heck, it seems part of the new exercise program must come to a halt.

Inflammation of the long tendon of the biceps. barf
Too much too soon, then lunged to catch a baby before he hit the floor.

Oh well, I can still do the rest of it when I can't sleep. And I did catch the baby.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:36 pm

This week we:

Bought another of the emergency kits at Costco.

Picked up the seeds for the garden. (Now I just have to build the new raised beds, since the existing ones are at the old house, get a dump truck load of dirt\manure mix and fill said raised beds)

Also, while at Lowes, noticed that they are clearancing the fireplace type stuff. Got a container of stove polish ($2.99), which will be used to the cast iron stove which is currently exposed to the elements on the deck until I can finish cleaning up the basement and figure exactly where to put it until we get a shed and\or garage built. Also got a new gasket kit for it (the old one is SHOT, which we found out last winter when we were working on the cabin). And a fireplace screen for the basement fireplace.

Finished two more walls in the cabin interior (3 to go, and then NO MORE STINKING WALLS TO DO! Sorry, I'm SO tired of them.)

Can actually see more of the basement floor as building materials are used up. Am hoping to assemble the last wire shelving unit and move a bookshelf into final location soon as well.

Edit: Also replenished my foodstuffs in my desk... I figure I have about a three day supply of Clif bars, eating nothing else. Also replaced the rice noodle bowls I ate this week.

Ice
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:07 am

Got 4 buckets from firehouse subs in the house. Need to clean them out and then put rice and flour in them. May have one spare bucket. Picked up a few things for baking and cleaning. Going to bake some cookies this week. Also plan to go through and reorganize my preps in the coming weeks. Also going to work on reducing my bills.
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

AaronLeft

Post by AaronLeft » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:51 am

It's over the last couple of weeks actually, but our internet is sketchy sometimes. Bought 20oz's of silver, 2 CN grenades, 2 cases of MRE's, requalified with my M4, Glock,870 and M249. Oh...and a box of Onyx Robusto cigars. (not really preps but it's the little things that count over here) :)

JakkSchitt

Post by JakkSchitt » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:03 am

Just put a deposit down on 5 acres, mostly wooded with a cleared homesite. Plan to move in 4 yrs.
Jakk
Abacus wrote: Good luck and welcome to Zombie Squad, don't fuck it up.

Readphnx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the living Dead remake, 28 Days Latter, 28 Weeks Later, Dawn of the Dead remake.

Post by Readphnx » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:08 am

Bought the first of my food preps, 5 cans of ravioli, 5 cans of soup, 10lbs of rice, 10 boxes of pasta, 6 containers of salt, 3 boxes of tooth paste, and 2 rolls of floss. Cost me just about $35 bucks. Also put back another 4 gallons of water.
Jack of many trades master of none.

Tperkins
I was attacked by a honey badger
I was attacked by a honey badger

Post by Tperkins » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Bought 3-5 days of Mountain House meals, updated my vehicle Trama/FAK bag, and started to put some compact food preps into a bin.

Also started making a list of things to further and finish with my BOV like;
-Spare Fluids
-Antifreeze/Coolant
-Few Quarts of oil
-Some Tranny Fluid
-5 Gallons of water
-Tire Plug kit + Tire Sealant (Slime)
-Flares + Reflective Triangle

And a few other things, check out my BOV thread if you'd like to add anything, or I appreciate comments.
"A Leader Is A Man That Can Adapt Principles To Circumstances." -Patton
My Kifaru BOB
My Dodge BOV
My Trauma Bag

dynomike

Post by dynomike » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:28 pm

Bought waterproof matches and a first aid kit for the GHB.
"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them" - Thomas Paine

"If at first you don't succeed, call an airstrike" - Banksy

Cybrludite
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Cybrludite » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:39 am

Monday night I talked with our top network development guy about getting CERT training for the folks who're assigned to stay in the event of a hurricane. (He was in due to a failure of the air conditioning system) He seemed to think it was a good idea, even though you won't be able to kick a can around this place during a storm without hitting some sort of first responder...
“There are only two ways to sleep well at night, be ignorant or be prepared” – Simon Black

Readiness is all. — William Shakespeare

Senectute Et Perfidia

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Did a gigantic grocery shop, and now we're finally back to pre- 'plumber zombie nightmare' food levels.
Relief.
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

FlashDaddy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: All the Milla movies and Shaun of the Dead
Location: There's no place I can be since I've found (hoosier) Serenity.

Post by FlashDaddy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:35 pm

I "ran" a mile is 12:13. Actually a good time for these conditions, with all the studder stepping I had to do on the icy patches. I have now run 5 days out of seven, alternating 1 mile runs with two miles runs. I have 83 days left to prepare for the mini-marathon.

I also cleaned out another OJ container and used it to add a gallon to my drinking water stockpile.
- Flash

Browncoat, food & H2O storing Dad. "I don't care, I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me."
"Freedom is not a gift bestowed upon us by other people or the majority, it's a right that belongs to all of us."

roOism
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by roOism » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:00 pm

Bought a new magazine & 100 rds for my PK380.

Picked up some camping/hiking/bob supplies at REI/Walmart/Sportsmans Warehouse (last thursday)
"Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must." - Goethe

Rock2Fox

Post by Rock2Fox » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:44 am

Ordered some relevant books, a new factory 20 for a mini-14, 140 rounds of 7.62x54r
Ran 4 miles
Studied from my general exam
"The bombing begins in five minutes." -- Ronald Reagan

Shaper
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead
Night of the living Dead
Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil

Post by Shaper » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:49 am

JakkSchitt wrote:Just put a deposit down on 5 acres, mostly wooded with a cleared homesite. Plan to move in 4 yrs.
Damn, that is awesome! Congrats! Consider me jealous. :P

...all I did today to prepare is purchase a BCM Upper Receiver Group. :mrgreen:

U.S. ARMY 11B1P 3rd US INF(TOG) 96-00
U.S. ARMY 94F10 101st 3rd BCT Now

Epulamur libenter eos qui nos subiungeant
________ We gladly feast on those who would subdue us _______

sql_yoda
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Sean of the Dead
The Notebook

Post by sql_yoda » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:53 am

thelight wrote:Bought a Country Living Grain Mill that I'd been saving up for. Can't wait to get it in and test it out.
Sweet! I'm still saving up and waiting for the retail price to drop a bit but the CL looks like the best USA made mill available. I would be proud to own one, hope you love it!

Dropping in to report another 12 gallons of bottled water stowed away, thanks to a really good deal at the local Shop&Save; and just tonight placed an order for 2x100 fish mox forte and 1x100 fish flex forte.

Agent

Post by Agent » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:18 am

Got some ammo in the mail, went to the gym, planned an emergency kit for my wife to keep in her office.
"I told him that from what I had observed, it only took three days before desperation and hunger overturned all civilized instinct in a person. He smiled and said I had a bleak view of human nature,and that in his experience it was nearer to four days."
-Far North by Marcel Theroux

orc12k

Post by orc12k » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:48 pm

Yesterday I bought new cover for shotgun. Black, synthetic and handy.
Air was not so cold, so I decided to run ~10miles in snowy steppe in company of my sheep-dog. :-)

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:50 pm

Received my new (3rd owner) Blackhawk SOF Ruck in the mail. I placed 71lbs in it and walked up the stairs, then back down. I've got some training to do...

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:15 pm

Bought 3k rounds of 22lr.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

Rock2Fox

Post by Rock2Fox » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:20 pm

1. Gym
2. LTS - spices
3. LTS - pasta
"The bombing begins in five minutes." -- Ronald Reagan

Rainman
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Fido, Army of Darkness, Evil Dead 2, Dead Alive, 28 Days Later

Post by Rainman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:07 am

Looking for a way to procrastinate, I scrounged around the house and found the makings for a dozen small fire-starters. Paraffin wax, dryer lint, and a cardboard egg container. Woot.

Finished four small PEK (personal emergency kit), one for me, one for wifey, and two for friends interested in prepping. They all need a little work and a little customization (being used in 3 very different parts of the country), but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. Hope to get a few pictures up soon.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”