How much food/water can you buy for $100? Here's what I got!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Erik

How much food/water can you buy for $100? Here's what I got!

Post by Erik » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:38 pm

Hello, everyone!

How much is $100? I think most people would agree it's not chump change, but at the same time, it's not an enormous amount of money. I bet *most* people here would feel comfortable spending a hundred dollars if they knew it was for PAW preparation. I hadn't bought any food or water yet for the PAW, so today I decided to go to Sam's Club and see how much I could get for $100.

Q. What can you buy for $100? A. A good start.

Here's a picture of what I got.

Here's what's in the picture:

23 gallons distilled water $14.95
32 pounds pasta $7.38
108 packets Ramen $11.04
6 pounds green beans $2.58
6 pounds, five ounces turnip greens $2.88
4 pounds, four ounces mushrooms $2.98
50 pounds rice $14.26
7 1/2 pounds Tuna $10.94
24 6-hour heating fuel (that's 144 hours of cooking fuel!) $24.26
2 - 18 gallon totes $10
17-pound cat $free
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total - $101.27

Okay, now I have to say a few things. First of all, I got more water than anything else since you'll die real fast without water for cooking and drinking. It expires in February 2009. Maybe you folks can tell me - will the water last longer than the expiration date? I don't care if it tastes bad.

I know I don't have a ton of vegetables. The reason I didn't buy many vegetables is that I hate them. However, on the next run, I think I'll get a lot more veggies and some more meat/fish. I realize that mushrooms have no calories. However, mushrooms are a great source of protein and are loaded with vitamins and minerals.

I'm sure some people will be all down on the fact that I bought all that Ramen. I'd like to rebut (haha, funny word) those haters by pointing out that Ramen lasts practically forever. While it has little nutritional value, it IS a good source of calories, the stuff you really need to keep going. I bought a lot of it for only eleven bucks.

The totes are for protecting the more delicately packaged items, such as the Ramen and pasta. As far as I know, we have no mice in our house, but I'm not going to take chances on some critters getting in there. As for the rice, we're going to use old kitty litter buckets. Now don't get all grossed out - kitty litter is just clay. The buckets have only held UNUSED kitty litter. Once we've emptied the buckets (which are about four gallons) from normal use, we'll clean them out with soap and water, let dry, and then store the rice in there. The lids on the thick plastic litter buckets seal so tightly, it sometimes hurts to pry them off. It should keep bugs and everything else out. I figure if you're grossed out by keeping rice in containers that used to hold clay, you'll never make it in the PAW.

Free honey! http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2682 My wife works with a woman who has a friend who's a beekeeper. The beekeeper is always trying to push her extra honey on her. Tonya is going to see just how much she can get.

Also, before GunDown shoots me a PM asking me, the cat isn't for sex. It's a pet. It could also be used for food in a pinch.

Lastly, Sam's Club was selling a "survival food bucket" for $99.99. They claimed it contained 90 complete meals. I figured I could buy at least that much myself. What do you guys think?

I'd like your opinions on what I bought. Thanks!

-Erik

TDelta

Post by TDelta » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:54 pm

Wanna good "cat" receipe??

<snicker>

Randy

TDelta

Post by TDelta » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:14 pm

All kidding aside,

You did well. Water has no "expiration per se. The happy folks that want to regulate everything put dates on things. Keep the water in a dark, cool environ and you will have no problem. Personally, I use 2 liter pop bottles that I rinse out and refill. Spousal unit drinks LOTS of diet Dr Pepper. We store them in a cabinet in the kitchen.

Rice, good choice, Sterno, good choice, Cat (yummy), Honey good, Ramen ok, but you should augment it with veggies. Next trip, get some peanut butter. Best source of protein you can use.

Try to find a Mormon store (no joke). LDS has some of the best books on long term food storage that I have found. Also try and get some red winter wheat. you will also want to get a good mill. Some books have reciepes using gluten (the stuff Twizzlers red licorice is made of).

Randy

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:18 pm

Damn fine start.
Well, heres what I'm doing for food with $100.
Canned food.
You can get most basic veggies (corn, beans, carrots, etc.) for less than .50 a can. Lets say you spend $25 on water, that leaves you with 150 cans of food that require no water, no cooking and last practically forever.
throw some potted meat in there for good measures, incase you get tired of spinich for protein.
Just don't forget the opener ;)

PS I have over 60 cases of canned food and it takes up only about 3 cubic feet. would fit in your closet.
Last edited by Trioxin on Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.
Slowly moving toward my 666th post. YEAH!!

Ricky Romero
Favorite Zombie Movies: DOTD '78 and '04, 28 Days Later, Zombie Strippers

Post by Ricky Romero » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:22 pm

Looks good for $100.
I think you'd be better off buying food grade buckets for storing the rice. I think kitty litter has silica in it. I know you'll wash them out thoroughly...eh, I'm just being overly cautious.

Be sure to include some peanut butter in your PAW pantry. 1600 CALORIES per cup!!. That is greatest calorie to space ratio I have ever found. That's more than an MRE! That's a daily allowance of calories in a space the size of a baseball! But I digress..

Tuna is a good canned meat that doesn't break the bank.

Overall great buys. I would suggest the addition of a water purifier ($80-$150) if you have a body of water nearby or can collect rainwater. That way you don't have to fill your garage with jugs and barrels.

That "survival bucket" sounds like a dick deal. 90 complete meals? How big was that fucking bucket? Was it full of peanut butter? OK, OK I'll stop talking about peanut butter.

To anyone thinking about starting their own PAW pantry, remember: Protein makes you thirsty, Carbs not burned will be stored as fat, Fat on your body will keep you alive when there is no food to be had.

Erik has the right idea here.
Pasta, rice, and to a lesser extent ramen, is where it's at.

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:32 pm

Watch the tuna...loaded with mercury! No shit.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5454772
You Are Not Free.
FYI: the 7.4 trillion dollars used to bail out Wall Street could give $23,000 to EVERY man, woman, and child in the US.

TDelta

Post by TDelta » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:43 pm

NPR=Propaganda

Excuse me, I have to go shovel 10+ inches of NPR's "Global Wrming" outa my driveway...

Randy

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:51 pm

just google tuna and mercury if you don't like NPR.
You Are Not Free.

TDelta

Post by TDelta » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:01 am

OK, I read a lot of earthfirsters tripe. But, unless there has been some massive change in the way they can tuna, it just sounds to me like another windmill for people to tilt at.

I am an old guy, they have been moaning about mercury in tuna since when I was a kid.

You have done your part, you warned people. If they decide not to listen so be it.

Randy

quazi

Post by quazi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:47 am

The expiration on the water might be due to the plastic container degrading over time and mixing in with the water.

Nice buys, how long does rice last?

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:14 am

Rice usually has an expiration date, but it should last practically forever. I think.

-Erik

Harlequin
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Shaun Of The Dead

Re:

Post by Harlequin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:34 am

The rice will last practically for ever if it's packed right.
It's my understanding that involves sealing it inside Mylar bags. Remember what Burt Gummer said? "Plastic is not an oxygen barrier". After the rice or what dried food stuff you want to put in a suspended state, is added, either drop in oxygen absorbers or pump the bags full of nitrogen or CO2 before heat sealing the bags closed.
In my case I choose nitrogen which preforms two functions; one is the removal of oxygen to prevent oxidation which causes spoilage, two is the removal of oxygen to prevent critter growth. I got the small nitrogen tank from a gas supply house and rented a helium ballon filler valve along with it. At the local I bought a 6' piece of rubber tubing that fit over the valve.
Insert tube into mylar bag, fill with food, pump full of N, remove tube, fold and seal bag with iron, pack bags into plastic bucket. Done.

Oh about those "Survival Buckets" at Sams, on one of the other survival sites they looked at the number of calories vs. the number of meals claimed on the label and found some disparity. Seems there were "90 Meals" but they were only 250 calories each. I don't remember exact numbers so don't quote my figures.

Ben

Post by Ben » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:20 am

I have found that when stocking up on canned items you can get them at about 75% off if you want to better time when you use coupons. That has allowed my pantry to grow rapidly with little investment.
Gregoriev wrote:I'm not shooting you down for stupidity, but this is like saying "In case of zombies I'll just build my own rocket to mars! blastoff wooohooo!!!! no more zombie! lolz!"

TEC9man

Post by TEC9man » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:34 am

With all that Ramen noodles you'll need a lot of water. Read the sodium levels in those things. But overall a good choice. Walmart sells a gallon of drinking water for $.60. Every time I go I buy at least a case of 4. Also don't forget fruits. Canned fruit can be bought fairly inexpensively. I go to Aldi's and it ranges from $.45 to about $.75 a can. Also now there are sooo many choices of canned meats, usually at a decent price. Rice is excellent to as you can cook it in the water from canned veggies. Add in meat and some soup and you get a casserole.
Psalm 27:1-5
All the above statements are that of TEC9man and not necesarily that of ZS, it's moderators or members.

undeaddeadguy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by undeaddeadguy » Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:28 pm

That's a lot of food! And the cat was free? Awesome. My Korean neighbors probably have a cat recipe lying around... :wink:

A lot of what I see is Pasta and water. How good is Tuna and Peanut butter, and what else should people look out for when stocking the pantry?

jeepinbandtrider

Post by jeepinbandtrider » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:18 pm

TDelta wrote:Personally, I use 2 liter pop bottles that I rinse out and refill. Spousal unit drinks LOTS of diet Dr Pepper. We store them in a cabinet in the kitchen.
Becarefull doing this unless you wash out the inside with either alcohol or bleach. The bacteria from your mouth will get into he bottle and if left to sit for to long will cause the water to go bad.

Trioxin
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Trioxin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:22 pm

I LOVE rice in all its forms, but what concerns me is the amount of energy required to cook it. Unless you have the ability to make a campfire, you will expend a lot of energy cooking it.
That being said I have a 25 lb bag myself :)
I also found a hell of a deal on 25lb bags of pinto beans.
It was less than $10 as I recall.

As mentioned above, can fruit is a must to.
As important as it is to meet your nurishment requirments, its also important to have something you enjoy eating :)
PAW or not, I love cracking open a can of pears.
You Are Not Free.

cougar

Post by cougar » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:32 pm

that is one awesome haul my friend. I never did the one stop monster buy as yourself, but I do buy extra everytime time I shop. I ussaully spent an extra 20 dollars or so twice a month. Damndest thing is, Im outta storage space ( :D ). The wife is always yelling at me "What do we need that much TP, Paper Plates,etc for" I always respond "Honey, Farmer Jack wont be open when the zombies are roaming the streets" :wink: , this always gets the " :roll: " followed by "your f#@cked up" and a laugh.
If I lite a cigarette, will you go away?

R.I.P HK33k

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:09 pm

I recommend everyone take the plunge and go to your local Wal Mart or Sam's Club with $100 and just spend. You'll be glad you did. Sam's Club or some other place that sells bulk is best. Also, my wife was chewing me out for buying those huge cans of veggies. She says they're not practical becuse once they are opened, they'll go bad faster than I can eat it. For the stuff that's perishable when opened, I'll probably be getting normal-sized cans from now own to avoid this problem.

-Erik

Valarius
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead and many of Romero's films.

Post by Valarius » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:21 pm

Cool thread, Erik. I don't personally want to spend $100 at Sam's Club, but I applaud your intent and execution.

You need food-grade liners for the kitty litter buckets, some fresh whole bay leaves to keep away the bugs, and oxygen absorbers to prolong the shelf life.
See you around, HK. And remember folks: victory is surviving to watch another sunrise.

My female avatar is Saeko Busujima from High School Of The Dead. I'm a dude. :mrgreen:

Homeless survival techniques.

phoenixmastm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both versions), Land of the Dead, Undead, 28 weeks later.

Post by phoenixmastm » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:58 am

HEY I SPENT 100 BUCKS AT SAMS AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT!!!

Just kiddin.

Actually, when we spent 100 the last time, we just got crap. If i wanted to, and if I had control over what gets thrown in the pantry and fridge, I'd prbly get something close to what your getting, just replace the ramen with canned veggies.
Up onto the overturned keel
Clamber, with a heart of steel
Cold is the ocean spray
And your death is on it's way
With maidens you've had your way
EACH MUST DIE SOME DAY

- Viking battle chant

Erik

Post by Erik » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:29 am

phoenixmastm wrote:HEY I SPENT 100 BUCKS AT SAMS AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT!!!

Just kiddin.

Actually, when we spent 100 the last time, we just got crap.
What'd your wife make you get, a lifetime supply of Rosie O' Donnell bobblehead dolls? :lol:

-Erik

BejamminR
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, The Walking Dead

Post by BejamminR » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:44 am

Erik wrote:She says they're not practical becuse once they are opened, they'll go bad faster than I can eat it. For the stuff that's perishable when opened, I'll probably be getting normal-sized cans from now own to avoid this problem.
I do the same thing for the same reason. While some of the big cans will work (stuff that I can share with several people at once) for the most part, there aren't any savings there unless I can put it in other containers and refrigerate, which is not a given.

SkullGirl

Post by SkullGirl » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:59 am

TEC9man wrote: Rice is excellent to as you can cook it in the water from canned veggies. Add in meat and some soup and you get a casserole.
Why have I never thought of that? What a great way to use EVERYTHING.
- Bacon is like a little hug from GOD

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”