Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flyingredgoat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil. Cause the ONLY acceptable uniform for killing zombies is a cocktail dress and combat boots.

Re: Bugging out to a abandoned or yet to open Mall/Sams/Costco

Post by flyingredgoat » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:51 am

gangsta99 wrote:I wanna bug out to a Strip Club and fortify and stock it up real good. With the strippers still inside. Who is with me??
My roomate is an -um- exotic entertainer at an establishment for discerning adult individuals. I've known the good, the bad, and the ugly.

You now have:
20 strippers,
10 boyfriends whose only job is pimping their girlfriends,
5 husbands who get mad at their wives when anybody looks at them,
50 children.

This one is going to be as much fun as the Walmart thread. :lol:

k
Merovech wrote:Anyone who thinks any sort of PAW will be glamorous, fun, or exciting... has dramatic reality issues.

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:06 am

DemonLlama wrote:Can we pleeeeeease reopen the walmart thread now? It's been months. Can't we just delete the last couple pages of "bad" posts and call it good?

No!
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:17 am

Weeeeeeeeeee and we're off!
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Sckitzo
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (org)

Post by Sckitzo » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:33 am

Just pointing out the OP stated he didn't think it was a good idea, may have edited that in but he is just asking a question, fuck you people are elitist sometimes, it's like jackals attacking a wounded critter, one or two people start then y'all just run a train.

As for the topic, no I still don't like the idea. Only real benefit I can see is the size lends it's self towards plenty of expansion room.

Also a draw back as unless your a decent size party, security is going to be a huge pain in the ass. They do tend to have really shallow roof tops, and of course there is the whole issue of it belonging to someone else the legalities of that. Not to mention they normally build those things close to high concentrations of population, eventually other people will get the same idea.

I say it might beat trying to fortify a dairy queen in downtown LA, but looking at it from a cost/benefit standpoint I'm going to stay the hell away unless I have no other option.

ETA: The snarky comment wasn't directed at all you, or even most of you. Majority of the answers were civil, but I swear some people just wait for a post that can be taken outta context just so they can rip it to shreds.

NightHiker

Post by NightHiker » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:37 pm

ryan112ryan wrote:I should put this out there, I personally am not in favor of it, but in a real pinch (its night time, my home is over run and my BOL inaccessible or over run) I might toy with the idea
In a real pinch (it's hit the fan and my plan and back up plans got flushed) I'm going to perform an immediate assessment of the situation and determine what resources that are available to me. If my evaluation indicates that holding up in some building is the best option then I'm going to find the best one in whatever time limit I decided is necessary. I'm not going to limit my thinking and thus not consider a potential resource just because of what sign is on the outside of the building. It doesn't matter if it's a mall or a whorehouse, I'll consider the tactical/logistical pros & cons and figure out what's the best way to go.

Don't get locked into following your plan. It has to be flexible enough to allow for changes on the fly but the only way you can make that work is if you're able to recognize legitimate and feasible options.

Mr. Warren Peace
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later.. 28 weeks later,

Post by Mr. Warren Peace » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:14 pm

these types of structure are like fly bait in an early stage paw.

years later, if a community is formed with enough manpower, it could be useful.
"Riddle me this. Riddle me that. Who is afraid of the big black bat?"

AZMedic

Post by AZMedic » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:18 pm

Not for a small group of you but as people have said before. Maybe if you have a large group/community looking for a place to hunker down.
Take Action.
I am a Paramedic.
ZS Arizona Chapter 18: Officer

Front Offensive Line of SpamWar 6/10:Axis of Oxycontin8878 I was a warrior.
Rush2112 wrote:
the_alias wrote:
AZMedic wrote:'86 damn almost missed this cutoff. I remember baywatch ya then I became a lifeguard and was like wtf this isn't the same......
I honestly thought you were around 45 + :lol:
He's crotchety enough.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 am

If they delete the disgusting 'death betting posts' on the Walmart thread and reopen it, it should attract these posts there.
Nice to have them in one spot.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

DemonLlama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, I Am Legend

Post by DemonLlama » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:32 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:If they delete the disgusting 'death betting posts' on the Walmart thread and reopen it, it should attract these posts there.
DemonLlama wrote:Can we pleeeeeease reopen the walmart thread now? It's been months. Can't we just delete the last couple pages of "bad" posts and call it good?
Alright! Who else is with us?
nimdabew wrote:I will probably end up eating cold creamed corn out of a can in a wife beater in some god forsaken hole in Alabama.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:46 pm

DemonLlama wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:If they delete the disgusting 'death betting posts' on the Walmart thread and reopen it, it should attract these posts there.
Alright! Who else is with us?

*raises hand eagerly*

:mrgreen:
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:40 pm

DemonLlama wrote: Alright! Who else is with us?
Ug.
I'm not, I hated that thread and curse it's children.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

DemonLlama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, I Am Legend

Post by DemonLlama » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:47 pm

phalanx wrote:
DemonLlama wrote: Alright! Who else is with us?
Ug.
I'm not, I hated that thread and curse it's children.
Yes but see, as long as that thread was alive, "children" like this thread happened a lot less.

Just think of the Walmart thread as a giant 48 page condom that can be used over and over again and never gets full. :twisted:
nimdabew wrote:I will probably end up eating cold creamed corn out of a can in a wife beater in some god forsaken hole in Alabama.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:48 pm

My personal opinion is that the Walmart thread should stay closed.

1) The thread is so long that additional posts to it do not add substance for it. It makes people less likely to read it.

2)There is ample content there now for people to read and understand why WalMarts in a disaster is not the right idea.

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:53 pm

I'm in, that thread was great at pointing out a very bad and very popular idea. Yes some of us may have fuct up at the end with our little bet. I admit it was in bad taste and offended some , but that don't take away the fact that that thread may have changed some noobs really bad plans.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

DemonLlama

Post by DemonLlama » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:58 pm

raptor wrote:My personal opinion is that the Walmart thread should stay closed.

1) The thread is so long that additional posts to it do not add substance for it. It makes people less likely to read it.

2)There is ample content there now for people to read and understand why WalMarts in a disaster is not the right idea.
Both true. But my main reason is that it attracted anyone who was determined to do it anyway. It was also often just plain funny. :D

Bucky_Katt

Post by Bucky_Katt » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:55 am

NightHiker wrote:
ryan112ryan wrote:I should put this out there, I personally am not in favor of it, but in a real pinch (its night time, my home is over run and my BOL inaccessible or over run) I might toy with the idea
In a real pinch (it's hit the fan and my plan and back up plans got flushed) I'm going to perform an immediate assessment of the situation and determine what resources that are available to me. If my evaluation indicates that holding up in some building is the best option then I'm going to find the best one in whatever time limit I decided is necessary. I'm not going to limit my thinking and thus not consider a potential resource just because of what sign is on the outside of the building. It doesn't matter if it's a mall or a whorehouse, I'll consider the tactical/logistical pros & cons and figure out what's the best way to go.

Don't get locked into following your plan. It has to be flexible enough to allow for changes on the fly but the only way you can make that work is if you're able to recognize legitimate and feasible options.
Exactly.

ryan henry

Post by ryan henry » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:40 pm

well i dont think its 100% that everyone would run to wal-mart if there was a "zombie invasion"! i think that about 99% of people would try to get the fuck out of town or to a safe zone. i think the only people that would go to wal-mart would either be people who dont have a means of transportation, or people that have managed to survive longer than others and are now trying to scavenge food and supplies to move on. seeing as the "zombie invasion" is a completley hypothetical situation that most normal people would never think about in their lives, i think its safe to say, all they would care about is getting away from the "zombies". The mere fact that we just happen to live in a country that boasts the worlds strongest military and a well armed police force would severley limit a situation like this from lasting long enough for anyone to want to take refuge in a grocery store.

Dingo McPhee
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (1985)
Dawn of the Dead (2004)
28 Days Later
Resident Evil: Extinction

Post by Dingo McPhee » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 am

DemonLlama wrote:Just think of the Walmart thread as a giant 48 page condom that can be used over and over again and never gets full.
Gross. And sigged.
redz: that dunken monkey wont work they can tell the differnce form smell

razi

Post by razi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:44 am

ryan henry wrote:well i dont think its 100% that everyone would run to wal-mart if there was a "zombie invasion"! i think that about 99% of people would try to get the fuck out of town or to a safe zone. i think the only people that would go to wal-mart would either be people who dont have a means of transportation, or people that have managed to survive longer than others and are now trying to scavenge food and supplies to move on. seeing as the "zombie invasion" is a completley hypothetical situation that most normal people would never think about in their lives, i think its safe to say, all they would care about is getting away from the "zombies". The mere fact that we just happen to live in a country that boasts the worlds strongest military and a well armed police force would severley limit a situation like this from lasting long enough for anyone to want to take refuge in a grocery store.
I'm going to say this as politely as I can:

You're wrong.

and

You've missed the whole point of this website.

DFWMTX
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by DFWMTX » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 pm

Actually I've heard of a case where an escaped convict holed up in an abandoned box store and evaded the cops for quite a while. He originally started out by hiding in a Toys R'US next door, using the shelves to create his own personal little shelter. He moved to the abandoned store later, and made a little rat-hole which enabled him to quickly escape from the Toys R'Us when he twice robbed it.

...but of course he was evading shoppers and cops, not zombies, so his case doesn't apply.
It can always get worse.

silentpoet

Post by silentpoet » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:29 am

How would a walmart/mall help us with the real preps, wealth and status?
"...a society too squeamish to call evil by its right name has destroyed its first, best defense against cutthroats."
David Gelernter (Unabomber victim)

Bluito23

Post by Bluito23 » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:26 am

Why does this thread exist. It has been covered in all sorts of ways before.

Its very bad to do and no good can come from it.

Mark

Oneswunk

Post by Oneswunk » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Sometimes bad ideas need to be talked about so people know there bad ideas.

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:50 pm

Almost without fail, when discussing ZPAW plans with people for the first time (and every human since Romero seems to have one...), the WalMart "plan" rears its ugly head. It is the most common, and terrible, idea around IMHO. So it should be IN YOUR FACE how wrong it is, the first time you stumble upon ZS. Make it happen, peeps! :wink:
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”