Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Re: Bugging Out to Wal-Mart, Costco, Sams Club: No!

Post by ZombieGranny » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:11 pm

Oh well, it was a fun thread for 40 some-odd pages. :(
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

The Highwayman
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil series

Post by The Highwayman » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:50 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Oh well, it was a fun thread for 40 some-odd pages. :(

I agree ZGranny. This "dead pool" shit needs to be in Off Topic, then eventually the Graveyard....IMO.
Join ZS:17- FL

RIP Hk33k

Oneswunk
Favorite Zombie Movies: Well, your mum rang about you going round tomorrow night, and then Liz rang about the two of you eating out tonight, and then your mum rang back to see if I wanted to eat her out tonight.

Post by Oneswunk » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:28 pm

I kind of agree, tho I stand by my pick.
KEEPER OF THE MEATWORLD SPICEWEASEL.
JoergS wrote:The power of 30 English longbowmen, at your fingertips... sweet.
Vicarious_Lee wrote:I have boners in places I didn't even know I had dicks. :D :D :D

My B.O.A.T
My jeep build
My FAKs

CLEAR CUT

Post by CLEAR CUT » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:41 pm

Jeriah wrote:Here, then, is my answer to the fundamental issue presented by this thread. My answer is a challenge.

There are two kinds of people here on Zombie Squad: those considering bugging out to/planning on stopping by a big box store (Mall Wart et al.) in the event of a disaster or the end of the world as we know it.

If You Are Considering Bugging Out To Wal-Mart:

If you are the kind of person considering treating your local major retail outlet as your bug-out location, fortress, destination, or even as a fueling-up point on the way out of town in a natural disaster, here is my challenge to you: Try it.

You can effectively simulate what a store will be like by visiting that store on the next Black Friday. Black Friday, 2009, will be Friday, November 27th, 2009. Mark your calendars. You have an assignment for this day.

Make a list of essential survival supplies for which you would go to Wal-Mart (etc.). You are free to check in advance what a given location carries. You may map their location in the store. Pretend you're planning a post-disaster raid. Make a detailed list of everything you think you need as far as preps are concerned. Feel free to post what you have, ask for suggestions, check out other people's BOB's and bug-in stashes, etc., to get ideas about what you need. Check prices and locations in the store. Have a shopping list. If you want, make a map of the store, with the location of what you need, so you can get your stuff as efficiently as possible. Trust me, this will come in handy.

Check the opening hours for that Wal-Mart etc. If you can, get there before the store opens on Friday the 27th. If not, whatever. Show up when you can, BUT IT MUST BE ON THAT DAY. Friday, November 27th, 2009.

Your challenge is to take a shopping cart and your list, and get every item on your list, and fill your cart. Get to the register, check out, get out to your car, and drive home. TIME YOURSELF. See how long it takes you to 1., find everything you need, 2., check out, and 3., leave the store. This is vital information in your survival planning.

If you fail, if you are deterred by the crowds, if the store is out of what you need, if it doesn't work...then know that it will be even worse, in the early stages of the PAW. Know that you can cross bugging out to Wal-Mart off your list of good ideas...because it isn't one.

If, on the other hand, you succeed...congratulations. You bought the supplies you need to survive. Now you're prepared and there's no need to bug out to Wal-Mart in the PAW. :wink:

If You Are Not Considering Bugging Out To Wal-Mart:

Let's start a pool. What Wal-Mart location is going to have a fatality this coming Black Friday? The past two years, at least, have had one; I don't know the records before that but I know they've happened before. We can each offer up an item of survival goods, and each claim a Wal-Mart location. This might help: http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/ca_storefinder.do" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, each person picks a location, and if someone picks the location where a fatality occurs, we all mail the stuff we ponied up to that person. If there are no fatalities, we all breathe a sigh of relief and go back to our normal lives. If there are multiple fatalities at different locations, we use some kind of heuristic to split the loot.

I'm not entirely kidding about this but it may be in poor taste to actually do it. Um...opinions?
Okay, this post was okay up to the part in red. Then it went downhill real fast. You've been here long enough to know better. What were you thinking? Starting a pool about fatalities at a Walmart?! This is unacceptable. Consider this an official warning and your next infraction will result in you being given Probation.

Don't try to weasel out of it either because you knew what you were doing by saying this:
Jeriah wrote:I'm not entirely kidding about this but it may be in poor taste to actually do it.
Bad Taste? Hmmmm...Ya think?! I'm going to run this by the other mods and you may even get put on Probation just for this alone.

It's late and I'm going to lock this one down for now pending review. I'll deal with the rest of you who jumped on the bandwagon tomorrow.

[Thread Locked Pending Review]
The greatest mask of all is not wearing one.
You can't tarnish a rusted blade.
Zoltan wrote:Chimps are fucking dangerous
Don't ever forget your DBP's!

ryan112ryan

Bugging out to a abandoned or yet to open Mall/Sams/Costco

Post by ryan112ryan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:41 pm

So we have hashed out that sam's club, costco, the mall, walmart or other big box is probably not a good idea. If you disagree, to bad :lol:

What do you all think about bugging out to one of these places if they are:
  • Has yet to open or close to being finished but still under construction
  • Has been closed recently (think of a circuit city situation)
  • Is one of those malls that almost no one ever goes and most stores are empty

The typical arguments are that people will flock to them because they normally flock to them, in this case it wouldn't be the case.

They are hard to secure, if its under construction, there is lots of materials to fortify.

What do you think? yea or ney?

I should put this out there, I personally am not in favor of it, but in a real pinch (its night time, my home is over run and my BOL inaccessible or over run) I might toy with the idea
Last edited by ryan112ryan on Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheGunslinger
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Bugging out to a abandoned or yet to open Mall/Sams/Costco

Post by TheGunslinger » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:45 pm

Nay.

It's still massive, has a lot of entrances and exits and there's nothing there.

It's still someone else's property, too.

It loses the large groups of people, but it won't be easy to defend.
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept? ~A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archive

dukman
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by dukman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:46 pm

Still NAY. When I was a mall ninja I thought they would be cool. But they are 1) hard to fortify, 2) too open with no concealment inside, 3) too large for heating to be really effective, 4) too much echo, noises easily heard, 5) No place to grow your own, 6) Rooftops are way to vulnerable, 7) Lack off-grid water, 8) usually too close to other "still open" type businesses, 9) people will still think about going there as they are big shelters
M-O-O-N, that spells survival, law's yes!
Duk's Bags: GLOF GHB ONB EDC
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything ~Tyler Durden

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:48 pm

HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAH

We got another one!
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

phalanx

Post by phalanx » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:49 pm

Meh.

Why go someplace that has nothing when you could work to make your home secure and well stocked? New construction does indeed have materials around, but if the SHTF do you really want a hammer in your hand, pounding nails?

I don't think it's the way to go. Stock plenty of food and water and keep your ear to the ground.
ninja-elbow wrote: ZSC:011 Oregon: We Bug Out wet, dry, at the coast or the high desert ... maybe even the mountains, in a town or in a valley or something....
"We are moral beings only to the extent that we are social beings" - Emile Durkheim

FanaticalModerate

Post by FanaticalModerate » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:49 pm

I have to give you props for trying. Courageous foolhardiness has its place. :)
But the issue isn't just whether there will be large crowds, or whether it's physically securable.

The remaining issue is that it doesn't belong to you, and the resultant prospect of trespassing, looting construction materials, and conceivably being inhospitable to the actual owners, if they should appear.

Maybe re-launch this in "What Would You Do?" as "What if you inherited an empty/under-construction shopping mall 48 hour before the ZPAW began?"

Best of luck.
PistolPete wrote:Locked, but left here as an example why the PAW will suck beyond imagination. You people can't even get along when there isn't stress and starvation. Imagine what a bunch of raving lunatics you'll be when you have to skip a couple meals and wipe with the Sears catalog.

mantis

Post by mantis » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Here's a simple test to determine whether or not it's a good idea to bug out to X location?

1) Do you own it or have a legal right to it or do you have permission of the owner to be there?
2) Is it a well hidden out of the way place that others are unlikely to go to?
3) Will you have been able to stock it with YOUR (not stolen or scavenged) supplies and equipment BEFORE the disaster?
4) Could you secure the location and essentially become invisible there?

If you can't answer YES to all four of those questions, forget it. Most people's "brilliant" ideas for bug out locations fall down on number 1 and/or number 2.

In reality, why do you think you could secure and stock a yet to open Wal-Mart any better than you could secure and stock your own home? What makes you think that dozens, maybe hundreds of others wouldn't have thought of the same thing - do you intend to fight them for it? Do you intend to use force to keep those people away? Remember, prepping means PREPARING NOW, not coming up with schemes on how you'll prepare AFTER a disaster has taken place.

BAD IDEA.
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

thelung187
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days

Post by thelung187 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:58 pm

I've been waiting to use this for some time now.
AZMedic wrote:Oh thats not sarcasm at all. We would be truly fucked.
Melpat wrote:That "lacquer coated" ammo causes Christ to curse, causes babies to cry at odd hours, and is responsible for flat beer.
I am AR/9mm convert/pie/red-wire classic-style.

Murph

Post by Murph » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:01 pm

Yup, what he said. ^^
Does your BOB at least have: water, basic tools, fire, food, first-aid kit, and shelter?
"When planning, prepare for the most likely, and then the most catastrophic."
raptor wrote: Being a gun collector does not make you a prepper.
the_alias wrote: Murph has all the diplomacy of a North Korean warhead, but -he has- a valid point

liberty45

Post by liberty45 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:46 pm

I think someone is taking the Discovery series "The Colony" a little bit too seriously :mrgreen:

flyingredgoat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil. Cause the ONLY acceptable uniform for killing zombies is a cocktail dress and combat boots.

Post by flyingredgoat » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:24 pm

Paging Lord Rahl, paging Lord Rahl.

:lol:

K
Merovech wrote:Anyone who thinks any sort of PAW will be glamorous, fun, or exciting... has dramatic reality issues.

airballrad
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by airballrad » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:28 pm

I get what you're trying to say, OP. But I think about 90% of the original Walmart thread scenario still applies, and what benefits there are simply don't outweigh the downsides.

Also, you can't turn a site meme back into a viable option for discussion when it's been shredded as much as this one has. :lol:

DemonLlama
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, Shaun of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Evil Dead/Army of Darkness, I Am Legend

Post by DemonLlama » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Can we pleeeeeease reopen the walmart thread now? It's been months. Can't we just delete the last couple pages of "bad" posts and call it good?
nimdabew wrote:I will probably end up eating cold creamed corn out of a can in a wife beater in some god forsaken hole in Alabama.

Kabong30
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78, 28 Days Later (not strictly zombie?) WWZ when it comes out :)

Post by Kabong30 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:58 pm

"1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag" - Chris Costa
Sig_Ocelot wrote:Nintendo drops the ball!!!! They don't make hybrid cars, what's up with that? I can't ride my Wii to work, this is bullshit. :evil:

gangsta99

Post by gangsta99 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:43 pm

But, but the Homeland Security guy on The Colony said that when TSHTF that any place and any supplies are fair game. Property rights no longer matter man. If DHS says so it must be truez!!!

:twisted:

I wanna bug out to a Strip Club and fortify and stock it up real good. With the strippers still inside. Who is with me??
Mr. Rebates 3% eBay Cashback If you spend a bunch on eBay and other sites online sign up for Mr Rebates to earn 3% to 15% cashback on every purchase!!

Kelvar
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead (1968), Dawn of the Dead (2004), Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland

Post by Kelvar » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:45 pm

mantis wrote:Here's a simple test to determine whether or not it's a good idea to bug out to X location?

1) Do you own it or have a legal right to it or do you have permission of the owner to be there?
2) Is it a well hidden out of the way place that others are unlikely to go to?
3) Will you have been able to stock it with YOUR (not stolen or scavenged) supplies and equipment BEFORE the disaster?
4) Could you secure the location and essentially become invisible there?

If you can't answer YES to all four of those questions, forget it. Most people's "brilliant" ideas for bug out locations fall down on number 1 and/or number 2.

In reality, why do you think you could secure and stock a yet to open Wal-Mart any better than you could secure and stock your own home? What makes you think that dozens, maybe hundreds of others wouldn't have thought of the same thing - do you intend to fight them for it? Do you intend to use force to keep those people away? Remember, prepping means PREPARING NOW, not coming up with schemes on how you'll prepare AFTER a disaster has taken place.

BAD IDEA.
+1

Although I think a lot of these plans also fall down on number 3. Including this one.

Planning to trespass someplace you can't stock ahead of time isn't a plan. It is what people without a real plan would do.
The very fact that this requires trespassing seems to violate the rules of this fine community.

Therefore all I will say is: Welp, here I am..
Failure to plan means planning to fail.
JamesCannon wrote:I was more mad that it was closed down, because I loved the dish that was apparently rat meat.
Meat N' Taters wrote:Death rays, advanced technology or not, no creature wants to be stabbed in their hoo-hoo.
Pig wrote:How dare you try to bribe me with amenities like anime, Annie Mae, my sea anemone enemy!?

Heartless51
Favorite Zombie Movies: The first 100 days

Post by Heartless51 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:51 pm

I for one think its a great idea and YOU should definately go for it.

Less competition for me.

Deschain
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later, Shaun of the Dead, Fido

Post by Deschain » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:29 pm

Lemme splain something, son:

I've worked on Costcos in every stage of development in Canada. Here's the points I have to forward:

1. The walls are cinderblock/sheetmetal in most places. Meaning, anyone who can stand on a three-foot stepladder can get in with a pair of tinsnips. The walls are just barely that tough.

2. As a general rule, the electric work is slipshod at best. I've seen one Costco that has decent work done. That was Dartmouth, NS. What're the odds yours burns down around your ears on account of the contractors cutting corners?

3. The 'resources' in under-development Costcos don't really include food. Pharmacy is usually stocked with the basics, though. In hindsight, is it worth the risk for a bottle of Tylenol and two bottles of shark cartilage?

4. Food is delivered last.

Deschain
Control the things you can control, maggot. Let everything else take a flying fuck at you, and if you must go down, go down with your guns blazing.- Cort

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.
-General Mattis

De-Domesticating the Modern Male

kiwilrdg

Post by kiwilrdg » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:09 am

Same as any other oversized abandoned building. Minimal shelter, maximum visibility, magnet for crackheads and other undesireables. If you want a place to score, shoot-up, or to service a john is one thing, if you want a place to safely settle I would say no.
Surviving is easy, living while you do it is the hard part.

Lucretius
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Romero stuff

Post by Lucretius » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:13 am

+1 for bravery.
SMoAF wrote: I used to have a shrink. He killed himself.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”