Huge Surge of Interest in Prepper Properties

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Huge Surge of Interest in Prepper Properties

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:11 pm

Demand For "Prepper Properties" Soars Amid "Concerns About Social Stability"

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitical/ ... -stability

In 2017 and 2018, most Americans were generally feeling pretty good about the future, and interest in “prepping” plummeted nationwide.

But now things have changed.

All of a sudden, demand for “prepper properties” is absolutely soaring, and this is driving up the prices of rural homes all over the nation. In fact, in some of the hottest areas working class families have already been completely priced out of the market. Meanwhile, luxury home prices in the heart of New York City have fallen to the lowest level in six years. Many are deeply concerned about the upcoming election, and many others are alarmed by all the other crazy stuff happening all over the world, but whatever the motivation it is undeniable that an increasing number of Americans are seeking to flee the major cities right now. There seems to be a growing consensus that our society is rapidly steamrolling toward a nightmare, and a lot of people are purchasing “prepper properties” while they still can.

boskone

Re: Huge Surge of Interest in Prepper Properties

Post by boskone » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:21 pm

Well...dang.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:16 pm

Yup. Upper Michigan seems reasonable to me at this time. The local economy is a bit questionable, and the temps can get a bit life threatening, but who doesn't feel ALIVE after a few brushes with death?
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

boskone

Post by boskone » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:50 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:16 pm
Yup. Upper Michigan seems reasonable to me at this time. The local economy is a bit questionable, and the temps can get a bit life threatening, but who doesn't feel ALIVE after a few brushes with death?
I still want a few acres somewhere around here. Mild climate, and...well, I'm already here. :D

JeeperCreeper
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Twilight... making zombies of our future generations

Post by JeeperCreeper » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:00 am

I know Instagram memes are booming from doom and gloom...

Coronavirus...
Iran...
Fires...
Kobe...
Antarctica...

It's 2012 all over again
They see me trollin', they hatin'.... keyboardin' tryna catch me typin' dirty
Halfapint wrote:There are some exceptions like myself and jeepercreeper.... but we are the forum asshats. We protect our positions with gusto
zero11010 wrote:The girlfriend is a good shot with a 10/22.
Her secondary offense will be nagging.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:26 am

JeeperCreeper wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:00 am
I know Instagram memes are booming from doom and gloom...

Coronavirus...
Iran...
Fires...
Kobe...
Antarctica...

It's 2012 all over again
The death of Kobe Bryant signals D&G? While I am "srry 2 hear that", I am finding it harder & harder *not* to go all-out, full-on misanthrope.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:31 pm

You know what this world needs to really push people back into prepping? Another face eater. That was the busiest day on this forum and some of the craziest (seudo) on topic threads I've enjoyed.

I'm glad my wife and I bought where we did. The Dodge motor family actually used to have a vacation home there ... I wish we could afford to do more with the land, but such is life.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:31 pm
You know what this world needs to really push people back into prepping? Another face eater. That was the busiest day on this forum and some of the craziest (seudo) on topic threads I've enjoyed.
Are you saying there's a need for more bath salts and meth zombies to promote prepping?
In order to succeed you must first survive.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:38 am

darmstrong wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 am
BullOnParade wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:31 pm
Are you saying there's a need for more bath salts and meth zombies to promote prepping?
I think they would help.

I also think if we could get "Doomsday Preppers" to air again we could get more interest. I realized the time of more popularity correlated with TV shows about survival, social collapse, and people preparing for it all.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:45 am

I think they would help.
Are you volunteering to take one for the team? Is there someone you are angry enough to want to bite ( or conversely someone who just looks tasty enough to taste? )
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:26 pm

flybynight wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:45 am
I think they would help.
Are you volunteering to take one for the team? Is there someone you are angry enough to want to bite ( or conversely someone who just looks tasty enough to taste? )
You know, I like you all but....I'm not sure I like you THAT much... ;)

And yes, there are people I'm kinda irritated with. I would'nt mind the opportunity to do a Mike Tyson on them.

ssdtopgun

Post by ssdtopgun » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:10 pm

I have nearly 26 acres in Northern Idaho (Bonner County, near lake Lake Pend Oreille) I’d make a good deal on if anyone is looking. 😊

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:45 pm

Edge of the Ozarks

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ash_Flat,_Arkansas

Pricing on houses with land is more than reasonable - lots of water, trees and a good growing season.

Tailor made for .a classic bug out property
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:01 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:26 pm
flybynight wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:45 am
I think they would help.
You know, I like you all but....I'm not sure I like you THAT much... ;)

And yes, there are people I'm kinda irritated with. I would'nt mind the opportunity to do a Mike Tyson on them.
Great... teach me to say something and get included in your fantasy fetish :mrgreen:

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:31 pm

I suspect this has less to do with people wanting "prepper" properties and more to do with increasing opportunities to work remotely combined with people wanting affordable places to raise their kids. I am first hand seeing a wave of maturing techies fed up with urban life and moving to places with great outdoor recreation opportunities.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:35 pm

Woodsghost said: I also think if we could get "Doomsday Preppers" to air again we could get more interest.
It does seem that now would be an opportune time to revive Doomsday Preppers. For the last several years it seems like complacency has set in and the prepper movement lost the wind in its sails, but now, between geopolitical events and the coronavirus in China, the Spector of TEOTWAWKI is rearing its ugly head again. I'd love to see a whole new season of Doomsday Preppers, although I hope if they revive it they focus less on the moonbats and more on ordinary, reasonably sane preppers.

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:07 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:35 pm
Woodsghost said: I also think if we could get "Doomsday Preppers" to air again we could get more interest.
It does seem that now would be an opportune time to revive Doomsday Preppers. For the last several years it seems like complacency has set in and the prepper movement lost the wind in its sails, but now, between geopolitical events and the coronavirus in China, the Spector of TEOTWAWKI is rearing its ugly head again. I'd love to see a whole new season of Doomsday Preppers, although I hope if they revive it they focus less on the moonbats and more on ordinary, reasonably sane preppers.
The moonbats were the ones they wanted to show. I think they wanted to make a specticle of Preppers and wanted good TV. That is based on my own observation of the show and some things an old friend, featured on the show, told me about the experience of being filmed. I think though that the show normalized Preppers and that was a concern to higher ups. There was also an episode featuring James Yeager, which has never aired, to my knowledge. I think the normalizing and presenting of him to a wider American audience made some people kill the show. But that last sentence is speculation. I have biases, but I see certian groups in America being very concerned about prepping and Preppers. Preppers/permaculture/off-grid/homesteaders are more difficult to control, socially, and are very counter-culture. But I think it is the most reasonable response to a nutty world.

Collapse early and beat the rush. Just IMO.

FYI, some of the people featured on Doomsday Preppers were very sane, which just didn't make for good TV, so they were told to amp some things up and be a little nutty for the cameras. There is no telling how many episodes were filmed but never aired because they would not make for good entertainment.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:59 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:07 pm
I have biases, but I see certian groups in America being very concerned about prepping and Preppers. Preppers/permaculture/off-grid/homesteaders are more difficult to control, socially, and are very counter-culture. But I think it is the most reasonable response to a nutty world.
I think the highly visible overlap in the past between "preppers" and "crazy militia members" gives people unfamiliar with prepping good cause to have concerns. They have limited knowledge to make their judgments with. There's good reason I stick with this forum and ignore other survivalist type forums. There's a lot of crazy ranting out there that can be annoying to wade through at best, or legitimately scare people away.

It only takes a few people saying crazy things to raise a lot of legitimate concerns. I recall one crazy acquaintance that was so hopped up and irrational about Y2K that my social group had some very uncomfortable conversations on how to deal with him if the lights went out. He'd have foolishly (but well intentioned) contributed to disorder and likely getting many people killed (he was going to start passing rifles out to anyone and trying to order them around to create his own militia to save the town). He finally moved to a rural area to build a stronghold to resist either the Chinese when they invade or his own government when it finally joins the world wide illuminati something or other. And he is VOCAL about it.

Now add in how many of us JOKE about this stuff, and people that don't understand this subculture have very good cause to be wary. They see the extreme lunatics and it makes them wonder about us lesser lunatics. They're not sure where the joking ends and the tin foil hat brigade starts, nor where the tin foil hat brigade starts to become a breeding ground for a domestic terrorist.

I have no interest in ever breaking the law nor harming anyone. But if I'm not on some form of watch list, our intelligence agencies suck. :rofl:
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 am

woodsghost wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:38 am

I also think if we could get "Doomsday Preppers" to air again we could get more interest. I realized the time of more popularity correlated with TV shows about survival, social collapse, and people preparing for it all.
I dunno, I only watch Doomsday Preppers on Netflix, of which only two seasons are up. But I feel it gives the message to non-preppers that you can only be a prepper if you're storing 1000 gallons of water in preparation for an economic collapse.
BullOnParade

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:39 am

BullOnParade wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 am
I dunno, I only watch Doomsday Preppers on Netflix, of which only two seasons are up. But I feel it gives the message to non-preppers that you can only be a prepper if you're storing 1000 gallons of water in preparation for an economic collapse.
If storing 1000 gallons of water gets someone started, I wouldn't complain. A lot of people tell me, they'd go to Wal-Mart to get stocked up on supplies when SHTF. Something is better than nothing, plus needed water is more likely than 15 ARs and 30K rounds. Not that any of us would ever stockpile such an arsenal. :D
Last edited by darmstrong on Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:09 pm

darmstrong wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:39 am
BullOnParade wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:41 am
If storing 1000 gallons of water gets someone started, I wouldn't complain. In a past job A lot of people tell me, they'd go to Wal-Mart to get stocked up on supplies when SHTF. Something is better than nothing, plus needed water is more likely than 15 ARs and 30K rounds. Not that any of us would ever stockpile such an arsenal. :D
:wink:

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:05 pm

ON network TV ( and nearly all major films ) I've never seen preppers portrayed as anything but red neck hillbillies or tin foil hat crazies one sleeve short of a strait jacket. I work with people who become belligerently angry at the any discussion of preparing for any type of natural disaster , civil unrest or collapse.

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:04 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:05 pm
ON network TV ( and nearly all major films ) I've never seen preppers portrayed as anything but red neck hillbillies or tin foil hat crazies one sleeve short of a strait jacket. I work with people who become belligerently angry at the any discussion of preparing for any type of natural disaster , civil unrest or collapse.
This. And my earlier statement. 1000 gallons is an outrageous amount to store for the average North American. The average household would benefit from 1 gallon per person, per day, for let's say a week. Beyond that, they should be investing in food, security (physical and financial), mobility ...

A lot of people confuse their two hobbies of prepping and firearms enthusiasm. It's easy to spend thousands in one thinking you're doing the other. A member around here used to have the signature "I store food so I can live long enough to use all my ammo".
BullOnParade

woodsghost
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by woodsghost » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:18 pm

I talked to a "former prepper" today and she told me the reason she got out of prepping is she decided to just die if the world went belly up. I suspect that means "prepping is hard." Which makes sense to me. It IS hard. I wonder if that has some influence on what seems to be a reduced number of Preppers out there.

Just a thought.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”