Will Prepping Get a Second Wind in 2020?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

TacAir

Re: Will Prepping Get a Second Wind in 2020?

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:45 pm

I see this

Users browsing this forum: lowjohn19, TacAir and 10 guests

on a Sunday AM.

I'm now going back and bumping older threads that have solid prepping data - mining old threads may be one way to increase visitors/new members as the 'bots tend to ignore older posts for some reason....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

moab

Post by moab » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:49 pm

TacAir wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:45 pm
I see this

Users browsing this forum: lowjohn19, TacAir and 10 guests

on a Sunday AM.

I'm now going back and bumping older threads that have solid prepping data - mining old threads may be one way to increase visitors/new members as the 'bots tend to ignore older posts for some reason....
That's a really proactive move. I'll do the same in bug Out Gear.

I was kind of saddened by how many people chimed in on the Megawoodswalker passing thread. Seemed like a good indication of how many people are still hanging out around here. As long as he's been a contributor and mod. I would have suspected many more posts. For him I will bump some posts. And get some good content back up to the top.

I was also wondering what would happen if we messaged and invited back members that were heavy contributors in the past. I know several people that I would love to have back on here. That I haven't seen in years.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:42 pm

Moab said: I was also wondering what would happen if we messaged and invited back members that were heavy contributors in the past. I know several people that I would love to have back on here. That I haven't seen in years.
I dunno. I'm of the opinion that we just let things organically ebb and flow based on levels of interest in prepping. I don't think the reasons for prepping have diminished at all - quite the contrary - but think a lot of people that were on a kind of extended high alert since about 2008 got kind of fatigued or jaded, and are taking a hiatus as the immediate threats seem to have receded. If some catalyst comes along that suddenly gets people thinking about prepping again, we'll be here as a resource. If there's an extended lull, that's fine by me. Every day that the power is on and I've got hot and cold running water and a working fridge, washer, drier, etc. is a good day.

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:34 am

This site has a HUGE repository of knowledge. I probably started lurking around 2007. I think it's been about a year since I've had an account proper. I feel like a lot of discussions have been finalized. Realistically there haven't been huge game changers in gear, though most gear is substantially better today than it was 20 years ago. Humans are still vulnerable to the same things. Individual threats changes, but overall threat categories are relatively static.

That said, I'm always interested in a good gear review and may some new stuff soon here.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:29 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:42 pm
Moab said: I was also wondering what would happen if we messaged and invited back members that were heavy contributors in the past. I know several people that I would love to have back on here. That I haven't seen in years.
I dunno. I'm of the opinion that we just let things organically ebb and flow based on levels of interest in prepping. I don't think the reasons for prepping have diminished at all - quite the contrary - but think a lot of people that were on a kind of extended high alert since about 2008 got kind of fatigued or jaded, and are taking a hiatus as the immediate threats seem to have receded. If some catalyst comes along that suddenly gets people thinking about prepping again, we'll be here as a resource. If there's an extended lull, that's fine by me. Every day that the power is on and I've got hot and cold running water and a working fridge, washer, drier, etc. is a good day.
Dude. You need to look at who's on here now. Little to no one. There seems to be a core group of maybe 20-30 people that come in and out and that's it. The rest are guests. I remember when active posts went on for 5 to 10 pages. Now it's been 1 page for months, if not a couple years or more. The forum is dying. Soon the owners will throw in the towel. Simply out of lack of participation. If no ones on here why keep paying the bills? And with a complete lack of communication from the owners. I don't see a lot of vested interest in this place at all.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:48 pm

I for one would be really sad if this forum died. I was late to the party to start with and have really enjoyed this place. Woods Walker dieing has really brought it home to me that we all need to chip in a little more in order to keep this thing going. I, for one, have been looking for opportunities to start some much needed prepping projects that I will document.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Lettuce Pray wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:48 pm
I for one would be really sad if this forum died. I was late to the party to start with and have really enjoyed this place. Woods Walker dieing has really brought it home to me that we all need to chip in a little more in order to keep this thing going. I, for one, have been looking for opportunities to start some much needed prepping projects that I will document.
I think you are hitting a good point there. I think it is a lot of work to document and post pictures of projects and adventures. Many who take the time to document well can actually make money on blogs or YouTube. We, here, don't make a dime on our time, our thoughts, our projects, etc. So I think I hat works against many forums.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:23 pm

There's 137 users on right now.
1.You guys are just too intimidating. :awesome:
2. most people are just using the forum as how to encyclopedia and have no interest in conversing.
3. reading on phone /too hard to post
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Lettuce Pray
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland
Location: 40th and Plumb-- 40 miles from nowhere and plumb out of sight

Post by Lettuce Pray » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:24 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:14 pm
Lettuce Pray wrote:
I think you are hitting a good point there. I think it is a lot of work to document and post pictures of projects and adventures. Many who take the time to document well can actually make money on blogs or YouTube. We, here, don't make a dime on our time, our thoughts, our projects, etc. So I think I hat works against many forums.
It does. It almost needs to be a "for the good of the group" type motivation at the outset. Fortunately, I think this is a fairly tight community, at least as far as online places are concerned. It is just dwindling...

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:30 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:14 pm
Lettuce Pray wrote:
Good point - there are many folks that now support themselves with a successful YOU TUBE channel - as long as they stay on the correct side of the PC gods that run the place.

The loss of photobucket screwed a lot of sites that do not offer photo hosting. It is a PITA for the mods to insure illegal images stay off of a site but most places have a membership that are pretty good at helping the mods on this stuff.

If ZS would host the images, I would report my stuff w/images.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

moab

Post by moab » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:04 pm

The difference for me between forums and youtube is the comments. On a forum you can see things get vetted. Opinions and recommendations. And you can tie those to members with high post counts. That lead to some legitimacy to the post. Not to mention asshats get bumped from forums. Not the case with YT unfortunately.

If someone on a forum says get this rice. And 20 high count individuals chime in and agree. You can pretty much tell that's the rice to buy. On youtube I rarely see such contributions and mostly see a bunch of knuckleheads. TO read thru YT comments for such a contribution is almost worthless. Same idiots. Different day.

And on a forum you have to write your thread out. That takes some intelligence. Something that is lacking on YT IMHO. SO I'm not sad if we lose individuals like that. (Someone I know very well hangs out on YT. Because he can't read or write very well. Sometimes I think a lot of uneducated idiots frequent YT simply because they can't read or write that well. Not that everyone that is uneducated is an idiot. Just saying. A Lot of uneducated idiots on YT.)

And ya, Photofucket screwed the internet. But more than likely hosting space got cheaper. And websites started storing images themselves. Which is even more convenient. I use imgur now. And a chrome extension that allows you to post images with a few clicks. Still a pain the ass compared to photobucket or forums that host them.

Lastly, I can read a thread a lot faster than I can watch a long ass video. I'll watch if they are the only game in town. But I'd much rather read a well vetted thread on any given subject on a forum. As I can glean the information I want quickly. And don't have to sit thru a given length video to find it. And I can tell from the writing and comments if the person is full of shit or not. I can't do that on YT.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:16 pm

moab wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:04 pm
The difference for me between forums and youtube is the comments. On a forum you can see things get vetted. Opinions and recommendations. And you can tie those to members with high post counts. That lead to some legitimacy to the post. Not to mention asshats get bumped from forums. Not the case with YT unfortunately.

If someone on a forum says get this rice. And 20 high count individuals chime in and agree. You can pretty much tell that's the rice to buy. On youtube I rarely see such contributions and mostly see a bunch of knuckleheads. TO read thru YT comments for such a contribution is almost worthless. Same idiots. Different day.

And on a forum you have to write your thread out. That takes some intelligence. Something that is lacking on YT IMHO. SO I'm not sad if we lose individuals like that. (Someone I know very well hangs out on YT. Because he can't read or write very well. Sometimes I think a lot of uneducated idiots frequent YT simply because they can't read or write that well. Not that everyone that is uneducated is an idiot. Just saying. A Lot of uneducated idiots on YT.)

And ya, Photofucket screwed the internet. But more than likely hosting space got cheaper. And websites started storing images themselves. Which is even more convenient. I use imgur now. And a chrome extension that allows you to post images with a few clicks. Still a pain the ass compared to photobucket or forums that host them.

Lastly, I can read a thread a lot faster than I can watch a long ass video. I'll watch if they are the only game in town. But I'd much rather read a well vetted thread on any given subject on a forum. As I can glean the information I want quickly. And don't have to sit thru a given length video to find it. And I can tell from the writing and comments if the person is full of shit or not. I can't do that on YT.
Truth. Every word.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

boskone

Post by boskone » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:29 pm

moab wrote:
I generally agree, but I draw an exception for processes. There are a lot of times when seeing something actually happen is more useful than just directions.

E.g. when I built my AR, Brownell's videos were a huge help.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:34 pm

moab wrote:
.9999 & like-it-is.

moab

Post by moab » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:04 am

boskone wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:29 pm
moab wrote:
I generally agree, but I draw an exception for processes. There are a lot of times when seeing something actually happen is more useful than just directions.

E.g. when I built my AR, Brownell's videos were a huge help.
I completely agree. When it came time to take my dash cluster out - watching it done on video was the only way I was gonna learn how to do that. No amount of instructions was going to help. SO ya. I'm on that same page. Some things you just have to see.

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:40 pm

Interesting opinion piece I came across today. Please ignore the (mercifully, just one) passing political reference and focus on the thrust of this piece, which is that we need to bring prepping out of the shadows and embrace it as not an act of pessimism, but an act of hope. I personally think its tragicomic that it's taken something like CoVid-19 (disaster du jour) to get anyone thinking this way. But if that's one tiny sliver of a silver lining to come out of this heart-wrenching mess, then so be it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/opin ... e=Homepage
To cope with these uncertainties, we have to turn preparation for survival into the new normal. Instead of freaking ourselves out with unimaginably dark scenarios, we need to plan for a difficult future every day. Start washing your hands before eating and after riding public transit. Have a supply of nonperishable food in your cabinets, along with a box of medicines. Talk to friends and family about how you’ll work together to get through this. Do a little every day. Each tiny thing you do to prepare is a small act of hope. We are going to survive, and when we do, we’ll really be glad to have those canned tomatoes and dried pasta. And all those TV episodes you downloaded for a rainy day.

Normalizing survival is the opposite of normalizing disaster. When we get scared, we forget that it’s normal to be ready for bad things to happen. It’s not overreacting; it’s just how we get through life.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:43 pm

One thing that strikes me as odd about prepping is that, until the last few decades, what's now considered "prepping" was just how they did things.

E.g. most people figure out what they need for the week, go to the store, and get that. Maybe they have stuff for a couple weeks. However, it used to be common to buy dry goods by the dozens of pounds, keep or purchased canned goods by the shelf load, and have some source of local water (cistern, well, whatever).

So it's like we need to re-normalize the behavior. :p

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:31 am

I quit here for one reason or anothe but always stayed logged in and checked regularly.

As I type this my fiancé’s sister just had a kid literally not more than 8 hours ago and she’s texting me about if things get bad what should we do. Her husband was talking about buying bulk diapers and food for the baby. I said I fully support and will help, but other than the baby, how much food and water do YOU have. Having all the baby stuff won’t do you shit if you don’t have food. They both were quite and realized that they have a few days of food, and nothing else.

What needs to happen is to appeal to “normal” people. They would. Ever go to a site about prepping hell, they wouldn’t look at zombie squad unless I told them to. But the info here is one that I continually come back to. Why? It’s the best.

I saw woodswalkers posts on other forums and honestly he was a different man. One that I wouldn’t have even looked at a post if I hadn’t seen him here. This site is special, or brings out the moderate, informed, respectful person that this community generally wouldn’t have.

I say keep the name, but bring in other people. This site is far too important to let die.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:31 pm

Not sure if this counts as a second wind for prepping, but here in the UK it's noticeable just how many times individuals, organisations and even our government have said that the preps they made for Brexit-related supply chain disruption are proving invaluable for COVID-19.

It seems if you can give people a tangible thing to prep for, (some) people will do so willingly. And then those preps come in useful when something else happens with similar impacts. And from that they might decide to carry on with it.

I joined ZS ages ago, and was a lurker for a while before that. Have my preps really been tested? No, although bits of them have come in useful from time to time. But having them has saved me any number of anxious moments, and those moments have encouraged me to stick with it.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
My EDC / GHB (needs updating)
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:57 pm

Not sure if this counts as a second wind for prepping, but here in the UK it's noticeable just how many times individuals, organisations and even our government have said that the preps they made for Brexit-related supply chain disruption are proving invaluable for COVID-19.
That turned out to be a hilarious non-event.

Buying a bunch of toilet paper in panic that you don't need isn't really prepping. It will be interesting to see what happens when COVID19 is in the rear view mirror if people actually pay attention and learn from the event.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 am

I'm seeing more and more articles like these:
No Longer a Punchline, Preppers Declare 'This is Why We Get Ready'
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/c ... e=Homepage

Two thoughts:
1) Let's take care not to gloat about it to our less prepared neighbors. Our preps put us in a unique position to help our communities where we can.
2) I'd say the answer to OP's question in the thread topic is a resounding "Yes".

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:47 am

majorhavoc wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:49 am
I'm seeing more and more articles like these:
No Longer a Punchline, Preppers Declare 'This is Why We Get Ready'
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/c ... e=Homepage

Two thoughts:
1) Let's take care not to gloat about it to our less prepared neighbors. Our preps put us in a unique position to help our communities where we can.
2) I'd say the answer to OP's question in the thread topic is a resounding "Yes".
I was going to respond in kind last nights with the OP's original question quoted. My take on the question was resurgence of prepping because of the elections, threat of civil unrest. Who knew it would be because of a once in hundred years pandemic.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

boskone

Post by boskone » Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:42 am

majorhavoc wrote:
I don't have the resources to distribute preps, but I've been happily dispensing advice, information (especially prep-friendly recipes), and recommending this forum to anyone who asks.

If more people got serious that would be great, but I think this is a good "hearts and minds" situation for serious preppers, and an opportunity to try and counter some of the bad PR from Hollywood and TV. (Looking at you, Doomsday Preppers.)

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by majorhavoc » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:20 pm

boskone wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:42 am
majorhavoc wrote:
I don't have the resources to distribute preps, but I've been happily dispensing advice, information (especially prep-friendly recipes), and recommending this forum to anyone who asks.

If more people got serious that would be great, but I think this is a good "hearts and minds" situation for serious preppers, and an opportunity to try and counter some of the bad PR from Hollywood and TV. (Looking at you, Doomsday Preppers.)
I agree wholeheartedly. And I hear you about having limited resources to just hand out. I almost added to my last post that the "unique position" we're in may only be to provide advice/information. Both on prepping in general and this pandemic in particular. The signal-to-static ratio of good information on what this virus is (and isn't) is distressingly low in the general media overall. I find the quality of information (and vetting of sources) here at ZS to be much better.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”