Too many questions...

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

M813

Re: Too many questions...

Post by M813 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:38 am

Well, I have the answer to one of my more difficult questions- How to fortify the house?

I stated that I have a lot of windows and this doesn't really mitigate that but the solution does give me something to shelter behind- Planter boxes.

Specifically, planter boxes constructed in the method used to aesthetically protect government buildings. These will be built out of brick, stone or wood and filled with fine sand, sheets of metal and topped with a few inches of soil and live plants. A plastic sheet barrier is added to slow the leakage of sand when shot at multiple times.

Simple, cheap and effective. Not easily destroyed or removed. Discrete.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Great idea! I appreciate the info.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:46 pm

M813 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:38 am
Simple, cheap and effective. Not easily destroyed or removed. Discrete.
That is a great idea! Concrete ones are also available precast at a low cost and add density. If you plant hedges in them you also get some added concealment.

You could also simply pour some in place and use them as a barrier/buffer such as these. That is certainly a DIY type job even with simple basic skills if you purchase easy to obtain concrete forms.

This person used simply cardboard boxes inside of each other for a form. If you cast them in place on the ground you do not even need a bottom for the form.

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:45 pm

A couple of thoughts:

That homemade planter in the bottom picture is doomed to fail I think. The walls are too thin and it does not appear to have been reinforced with wire. To do it properly a wire form should be made and then cast inside the concrete. Also, casting concrete requires a different mix from what you might use to patch a sidewalk and what type of concrete is used will seriously affect strength, especially if in a climate subject to below freezing temps in the winter.

Heavy concrete planters in front of windows will hamper egress and fire rescue efforts in an emergency and may violate building or fire codes. Check local, state and national laws & regs first.

Planters with shrubs do provide concealment, but that works both ways. They also give burglars and other such break-in types something to hide behind while they gain entry.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

M813

Post by M813 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:18 am

Yes, that one last example is a poor design for a planter designed to absorb incoming rounds. There are plenty of other sound designs that don't cost a fortune to build.

As far as inhibiting Fire/EMS, these don't need to be built to "stop a crashing vehicle" standards. They can be built much thinner, thus providing an effective bullet barrier but also allowing emergency access over them.

I agree that I wouldn't plant thick, heavy vegetation in them that would totally obscure windows or provide cover to bandits and thieves. Also, you'll simply have to maintain the plants by trimming and pruning them. One option would be artificial vegetation that would only have to be replaced every 1-2 years after degrading in the UV and weather.

The point of these barriers is to not only provide an effective shield, but also to do it discretely without drawing attention to your preparations.

Sterling1961

Post by Sterling1961 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:59 pm

What was initialy used in Northern Ireland to keep car bombs and ram bombs at a distance from buildings was 55 gallon drums filled with fist sized lumps of rock capped off with about four inches of concrete. The drums were connected by two inch galvanized pipe through the center band and the top band. These were very ugly looking. The next iteration was to use three foot diameter concrete pipe sections that were also two to three feet tall. These are sometimes called "Well casings" Again these were filled with rock and sometimes capped with concrete but more often a six inch or so layer of soil was used with decorative plants in it. Sometimes they would be entirely filled with soil and a single tree planted in them such as a flowering cherry. The final iteration was a concrete "Trough" about three feet by eight feet and two to three feet high. These last planters had "slots" or Grooves" in the base of them that allowed a forklift to move them around.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”