Bad/False/Fake News Reporting in a Disaster

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Bad/False/Fake News Reporting in a Disaster

Post by raptor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:39 pm

I have said this and run into this personally on many occasions with regard to disaster reporting.
I am not saying all news is unreliable, false or fake...nor am I saying news reporting is rife with "click bait" bull shit articles. That said there sure seemed to be a lot of inaccurate and flat out wrong reporting with the last storm in NOLA.

Sure mistakes are made and in some cases there were valid assumptions that proved wrong. A worst case scenario is also good to present so people are informed.
That said national outlets were making wild and crazy statements that were easy to confirm as false.

Here are 2 articles discussing this:
https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2019/07/ ... -on-barry/

https://www.bayoubrief.com/2019/07/12/n ... -disaster/

I am not singling these out but rather issuing my own advice if you are affected by a disaster.

1. Do not assume the news will be useful and accurate. Develop your our means of double checking the accuracy of news reports.
2. Likewise do not let these instance fool you into assuming news reports are wrong...They could actually be valid...See Item #1.
3. Before you make your bug out/bug in decision do your own diligence....See Item #1

An unfortunate rule of thumb is that when the SHTF and things are bad...there is always someone will to make it worse to sell clicks.
Caveat Emptor - YMMV

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: Bad/False/Fake News Reporting in a Disaster

Post by 00dlez » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 am

Southpark was pretty spot on for this, Can't get the link to embed nicely though

(fixed NT2C)
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:16 pm

LOL

Here's every breaking news story since the invention of cable news:

"Apparently something terrible has happened, we don't have any information right now, but we will have talking heads speculating about it for the next 12 hours straight. By then we should have some actual rumors. And then we will be opinionating with, our panel of experts, on those rumors for another 12 hours. So stay tuned to Nana News Network, your source for up to date information on this disaster as it unfolds. More after this commercial break."

And every half hour or hourly, noon or evening news broadcast:

"Up next, the most interesting story every told." [OMG I have to see that!]

Commercial break

:words:

commercial break

Commercial break

Commercial break

"Well sorry folks we've run out of time, so we'll bring you the most interesting story in our 2am broadcast. Good evening"

[%$@&%$^&%*&$% :vmad: ]

Example of a credible "EYE WITNESS" facts http://youtu.be/Y-SieCU11r4?t=27

The real reason for news
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:20 pm

////BREAKING NEWS//// We interrupt our coverage of the mega quake and volcanic eruption affecting all the major cities to bring you just in. The house delivers a scathing rebuttal to the comments made......
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:28 am

The above disasters, whatever they may have been, were brought to you by climate change. We will now bring on our panel to tell you why.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

darmstrong

Post by darmstrong » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:27 pm

Finding the right sources of information in a disaster is HUGE. Locally, I went through a minor disaster. Snow loads caused multiple buildings to collapse and there wasn't enough time to clear buildings between storms. Social media was a better source of information in regards to road closures, building collapses and other issues. A small group of very connected and technologically savvy people started collecting the data from public sources.
In order to succeed you must first survive.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”