Seattle is Dying

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Re: Seattle is Dying

Post by Halfapint » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:10 pm

RoneKiln wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:14 pm
Me too Boskone. But in the case of Seattle, a lot of them are being intentionally imported thanks to Amazon.

In fact, for a while there were such extreme labor shortages here that I knew of coffee shops recruiting experienced barristas from Portland and paying for them to relocate. Trying to hire people is very surreal here. Most don't even show up to the interview anymore.

I think one of the best survival skills we can teach kids is how to work. Just the underlying ideas of show up on time, do your best, ask for help when needed and offer to help every chance seems to not be understood by a lot of people.
My company is learning this lesson the hard way. So many more openings not enoigh workers, I have a feeling we will be purchased in the next 5 years if they don’t learn it real quick. Oh well, hence why I’ve been learning other skills.

A class of 20, maybe 5 make it. Two stick it out, and of those one transfers to a different work group once off probation for more pay.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:09 pm

Simultaneously with having trouble getting people to work is getting upper management to understand how abruptly housing prices have changed even in just the last five years. An experienced person that already owns a home in the area making $X can be making very good middle class wages while someone brand new to the area making the exact $X can be on the edge of poverty due to the higher housing costs.

I was lucky and got my house right before this hit my neighborhood. The appraisal I got last winter valued it at 250% what I paid for it 4 years before. Yes, I've cleaned up the property, but not that much. My mortgage is now less than rent on a studio apartment here.

If you rent, it's brutal. I believe a lot of our homeless problems are due to drugs. But I also suspect a lot of our drug problem is also due to being homeless. Or being right on the edge of homeless leads a lot of people to try unhealthy coping mechanisms and that tips them over the edge. They feel helpless and just give up.

I've never seen an effective method to help people that have given up. Seattle needs to figure out how to have opportunities for them before that point, and hold them accountable after they're past that point.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:01 pm

Or being right on the edge of homeless leads a lot of people to try unhealthy coping mechanisms and that tips them over the edge. They feel helpless and just give up.

I've never seen an effective method to help people that have given up. Seattle needs to figure out how to have opportunities for them before that point, and hold them accountable after they're past that point.

While acknowledging some points I find a critical flaw in your logic.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:19 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:09 pm
Simultaneously with having trouble getting people to work is getting upper management to understand how abruptly housing prices have changed even in just the last five years. An experienced person that already owns a home in the area making $X can be making very good middle class wages while someone brand new to the area making the exact $X can be on the edge of poverty due to the higher housing costs.

I was lucky and got my house right before this hit my neighborhood. The appraisal I got last winter valued it at 250% what I paid for it 4 years before. Yes, I've cleaned up the property, but not that much. My mortgage is now less than rent on a studio apartment here.

If you rent, it's brutal. I believe a lot of our homeless problems are due to drugs. But I also suspect a lot of our drug problem is also due to being homeless. Or being right on the edge of homeless leads a lot of people to try unhealthy coping mechanisms and that tips them over the edge. They feel helpless and just give up.

Your viewpoint is pretty much excatly what the show was accusing local government of.
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 am

RoneKiln wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:09 pm
I've never seen an effective method to help people that have given up.
Been there. +1 (unfortunately).

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:29 pm

Anyone who has seen "Seattle is Dying" won't be the least bit surprised that mentally ill, drug addicted homeless people are twigging out and attacking random people, while the cops' hands are tied by the city council.

Seattle stabbing spree by reportedly naked man leaves several injured

https://www.foxnews.com/us/seattle-stab ... al-injured

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”