Rising Tensions in the Persian Gulf

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Rising Tensions in the Persian Gulf

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon May 13, 2019 7:22 am

Saudi Arabia's energy minister says two Saudi oil tankers hit in 'sabotage attack' off UAE have 'significant damage'. 30% of the world's oil flows through the Straits of Hormuz; any disruptions means we could be paying a lot more at the pump this summer.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/ ... 32524.html

https://news.yahoo.com/saudi-oil-tanker ... 09087.html

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/g ... dent-.html

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05- ... ait-hormuz
Last edited by absinthe beginner on Thu May 16, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flybynight

Re: Oil tankers "sabotaged" off UAE coast

Post by flybynight » Mon May 13, 2019 8:27 am

I don't understand. The tankers were sabotaged. Were they sabotaged before they set sail timed to break when they reached this area? Or did someone board the ships when they got to this area and cause the destruction? I guess either way would be considered an act of war but if the ships were boarded that is more overt
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 am

SA is reporting a missile attack on two of it's tankers.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon May 13, 2019 9:39 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:19 am
SA is reporting a missile attack on two of it's tankers.
That's not sabotage.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 13, 2019 10:06 am

Missiles, Straight of Hormuz, hmmm....

I'm not the person that beats war drums, but this is either black flag or possible escalation of the long simmering stuff that's going on over there. Add to it the US sending carrier group to the area.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 13, 2019 2:11 pm

The UAE has reported attacks on four of it's tankers.

http://fortune.com/2019/05/13/saudi-ara ... ns-attack/
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 2:11 pm
The UAE has reported attacks on four of it's tankers.

http://fortune.com/2019/05/13/saudi-ara ... ns-attack/
That's more concerning.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon May 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Debka is somethings a bit sensational with their claims, but "the plot thickens" as they say.

https://www.debka.com/irans-special-mar ... e-purview/

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue May 14, 2019 7:52 am

Oil prices jump as Saudi energy minister reports drone ‘terrorism’ against pipeline infrastructure

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/14/oil-jum ... eline.html

DUBAI — Oil prices rose sharply Tuesday morning on reports of a drone attack at oil pumping stations in Saudi Arabia.

The incident is an “act of terrorism,” Saudi Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih said according to the state new agency SPA, describing attacks on two oil pumping stations near Riyadh for the country’s East-West pipeline carried out with bomb-laden drones.

Brent crude futures were up 1.3% at $71.14 a barrel, up 90 cents. U.S. West Texas Intermediate (WTI) crude futures were at $61.67 per barrel at 12:40 p.m. London time, up 1.03% for the session.

The fire has since been contained, according to the SPA. Al-Falih asserted that oil production was not interrupted. State oil company Saudi Aramco said that its oil and gas supplies to Europe have not been affected, and that no one was injured.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue May 14, 2019 7:55 am

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05- ... r-stations

Yemen's Iran-backed Houthi rebels carried out drone attacks on two Aramco pipeline booster stations, a strike that was intended to disrupt world oil supplies, according to Saudi Energy Minister Khalid al-Falih.

Al-Falih told Saudi-funded news agency Al-Arabiya that the attacks targeted two pipeline booster stations between the Eastern province and the city of Yanbu.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue May 14, 2019 2:46 pm

This is more concerning that at first it appears. Generally most of the rebels don't touch the oil infrastructure because at some point they plan on tapping in to the funds generated by petro sales. An expansion of the war that goes after petro means of production and transport could dramatically destabilize the world economy if excess producers can't make up the difference.

The road does lead back to a curious question of US oil exports.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Tue May 14, 2019 4:44 pm

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue May 14, 2019 6:21 pm

One wonders if Tehran will become a big tourist destination after it becomes a glass bowl in the sand. Once the radiation levels drop that is.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed May 15, 2019 3:03 am

Aerial attacks on oil pipeline deep inside Saudi Arabia suggest significant leap in Houthi drone capabilities.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/05/ ... 50113.html

Drone attacks on a Saudi oil pipeline west of Riyadh on Tuesday have revealed what appeared a significant leap in the capabilities of the Ansar Allah fighting group, otherwise known as the Houthis.

The Aramco East West pipeline, stretching across the country to the port and oil terminal at Yenbu, was damaged in two places as pumping stations were hit.

The attacks caused minor damage but alarmed an international community already rattled by the sharp downturn in relations between Iran and the United States.

Information on the attacks is scarce, posing more questions than provide answers.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 am

The US is evacuating non-essential personnel from the embassy in Baghdad. I always wonder when they do that why we have "non-essential personnel" posted overseas. I guess everyone is ramping up.

With Israel making nice with the Gulf Coast States this was bound to happen sooner or later. Ringing the dinner bell on the Jewish state no longer has the effect it did prior to the Arab Spring.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 am
The US is evacuating non-essential personnel from the embassy in Baghdad. I always wonder when they do that why we have "non-essential personnel" posted overseas. I guess everyone is ramping up.

With Israel making nice with the Gulf Coast States this was bound to happen sooner or later. Ringing the dinner bell on the Jewish state no longer has the effect it did prior to the Arab Spring.
Non-essential would be people like clerks, junior diplomats (art, culture, science, etc.), and pretty much anyone not needed for the basic functions of an embassy (which would be to communicate with the host country government and aide US citizens).

(I wish EvatheDiplomat were around to handle this one. Been a while since my wife had a diplomatic passport.)

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 pm

Stercutus said: With Israel making nice with the Gulf Coast States this was bound to happen sooner or later.
The current tensions are in part a flare-up of the 1,400 year old Sunni-Shia conflict that festers to this day. The Saudis and Gulf Arabs are terrified of the Persian Iranians, and belatedly realized Israel was an indispensable ally given their mutual view of Iran as an existential threat. The so-called Shia crescent that runs through the region has always been viewed with suspicion by Sunni majority countries who view the Shia as subversives and "rejectionists" of true Islam. I hope calmer heads prevail, since a Sunni-Shia conflict that pulls in the US and Israel would be catastrophic for the Middle East and extremely costly in terms of life, destruction, and financial expenditures for all involved. Not to mention $200 a bbl oil would wreak havoc on western economies.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 15, 2019 8:46 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 pm
Not to mention $200 a bbl oil would wreak havoc on western economies.
That isn't good for anyone. :(

Halfapint

Post by Halfapint » Wed May 15, 2019 9:07 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 8:46 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 7:24 pm
Not to mention $200 a bbl oil would wreak havoc on western economies.
That isn't good for anyone. :(

Westerners have thee and to absorb the costs (suck it up), China, India, central and South America do not. They would be decimated. Riots would not be pretty.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 am

Iranian Guards commander: We are on cusp of full-scale confrontation with enemy

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/m ... enemy.html

The commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said on Wednesday that they “are on the cusp of a full-scale confrontation with the enemy,” the Fars news agency reported.

Major General Hossein Salami, named head of the force last month, added: “This is a moment in history, because the enemy has stepped into the field of confrontation with us with all the possible capacity, is the most decisive moment of the Islamic revolution.”

The United States has sent further military forces to the Middle East, including an aircraft carrier, B-52 bombers, and Patriot missiles, in a show of force against what US officials say are Iranian threats to its troops and interests in the region.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 16, 2019 12:20 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 am

The commander of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards said on Wednesday that they “are on the cusp of a full-scale confrontation with the enemy,” the Fars news agency reported.

Major General Hossein Salami, named head of the force last month, added: “This is a moment in history, because the enemy has stepped into the field of confrontation with us with all the possible capacity, is the most decisive moment of the Islamic revolution.”

The United States has sent further military forces to the Middle East, including an aircraft carrier, B-52 bombers, and Patriot missiles, in a show of force against what US officials say are Iranian threats to its troops and interests in the region.
This sounds like a man itching to push the button to launch a nuke because he actually thinks they have a chance in hell of suffering no consequences for it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 16, 2019 3:50 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 12:20 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Thu May 16, 2019 7:27 am

This sounds like a man itching to push the button to launch a nuke because he actually thinks they have a chance in hell of suffering no consequences for it.
To me it sounds like yet another in a long string of threats. They have become more nuanced in the last decade with their development of English Language media and using the internet but at heart it is still "America and Israel will die in a rain of holy righteous fiery death and the 12th Iman will emerge from Persia to lead the world to peace and grace under the Prophet."

Same old, same old for the last 40 years.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

absinthe beginner

Re: Rising Tensions in the Persian Gulf

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu May 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Changed the name of the original thread to reflect more recent events.

The rhetoric is heating up between Saudi Arabia and its Iranian arch-nemesis.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05- ... udi-arabia

absinthe beginner

Re: Rising Tensions in the Persian Gulf

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun May 19, 2019 1:57 pm

Breaking news: at least one artillery rocket has been fired at the US Embassy in Baghdad, Iraq.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-05- ... n-reported

Moments ago a blast was reported in central Baghdad close to the fortified 'Green Zone' in the Iraqi capital. Several journalistic sources are saying the US embassy there has come under rocket attack, with regional Arabic media confirming a blast was heard in the vicinity of the embassy.

A BBC correspondent in the region, Ali Hashem, reports that "one Katyusha rocket was launched towards the US embassy in the Green Zone in Baghdad, no reports of casualties".

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”