Unknown Disease

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Post Reply
MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Posts: 4313
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:48 am

Unknown Disease

Post by MPMalloy » Wed May 01, 2019 9:06 pm


User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Unknown Disease

Post by SCBrian » Thu May 02, 2019 3:43 pm

Kinda scary looking until you read the description:
... Though the doctors, on the basis of the symptoms, suspect the outbreak to be seasonal common cold and cough, they said they couldn't say anything for sure until the test report. "We can say for sure what the cause of deaths is only after we return to Surkhet with samples of patients' spittle respiratory samples? and test it in the laboratory," said the leader of the team, Dr. KN Poudel, adding that the spittle samples would be sent to Surkhet on Tuesday 30 Apr 2019, and it may take 3-4 days for the results to arrive...
Maybe a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is thinking?
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

User avatar
Confucius
* * * * *
Posts: 2724
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:17 pm
Location: The last, best place

Re: Unknown Disease

Post by Confucius » Thu May 02, 2019 3:56 pm

SCBrian wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:43 pm
Kinda scary looking until you read the description:
... Though the doctors, on the basis of the symptoms, suspect the outbreak to be seasonal common cold and cough, they said they couldn't say anything for sure until the test report. "We can say for sure what the cause of deaths is only after we return to Surkhet with samples of patients' spittle respiratory samples? and test it in the laboratory," said the leader of the team, Dr. KN Poudel, adding that the spittle samples would be sent to Surkhet on Tuesday 30 Apr 2019, and it may take 3-4 days for the results to arrive...
Maybe a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is thinking?
Nepal did just recently have their first death from bird flu, curious about a seasonal cold killing ten people like that.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/fir ... -in-nepal/

User avatar
NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Posts: 7584
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:37 pm
Location: Outside of your jurisdiction officer

Re: Unknown Disease

Post by NT2C » Thu May 02, 2019 4:10 pm

Confucius wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:56 pm
SCBrian wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:43 pm
Kinda scary looking until you read the description:
... Though the doctors, on the basis of the symptoms, suspect the outbreak to be seasonal common cold and cough, they said they couldn't say anything for sure until the test report. "We can say for sure what the cause of deaths is only after we return to Surkhet with samples of patients' spittle respiratory samples? and test it in the laboratory," said the leader of the team, Dr. KN Poudel, adding that the spittle samples would be sent to Surkhet on Tuesday 30 Apr 2019, and it may take 3-4 days for the results to arrive...
Maybe a case of left hand not knowing what the right hand is thinking?
Nepal did just recently have their first death from bird flu, curious about a seasonal cold killing ten people like that.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/fir ... -in-nepal/
At that kind of elevation and rarified atmosphere, I expect that anything making breathing more difficult can easily prove deadly.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

User avatar
SCBrian
* * * * *
Posts: 1213
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: Charleston, SC

Re: Unknown Disease

Post by SCBrian » Thu May 02, 2019 4:13 pm

Digging in, and cross referencing, some interesting finds:
(My emphasis)

http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2019-0 ... 021982.htm
Chief District Officer of Humlam Dholakhraj Dhakal told Xinhua via phone that the death toll climbed to 10 while over 200 people fell ill due to the unidentified disease that spread in the remote villages for the past one week.

"Most of the deceased are elderly and children," he said, adding that the remote villages are affected by the outbreak of unidentified disease almost every year.


Several villages of Tanjakot Rural Municipality of Humla District were affected due to the unidentified disease, according to him.

https://thehimalayantimes.com/nepal/unk ... -in-humla/
The disease is reported to have started following the rainfall a week ago. Those affected by it have shown symptoms such as headache, dizziness, chest pain and fever, before succumbing to it.

Majority of those who died were also found suffering from asthma or respiratory problems, according to the rural municipality chair Bagchal Chatyal Malla. It has been noted that elderly people and children have been mostly affected.


Meanwhile, a medical team is going to the affected area to assess the situation and provide necessary support, according to Malla.

Problem in identification of the disease and lack of proper treatment is helping it spread further, as the local health posts lack human resource as well as essential equipment.
Common colds can kill people that are immune-compromised. especially the elderly and young. Toss in a lack of decent care and....
Or, it could be a new disease. Something local brought on by the rain. Fungus/Mold perhaps? Black mold poisoning includes: (https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/323419.php)
The symptoms of black mold exposure may include:

...
persistent coughing
headaches
frequent chest colds
difficulty breathing
allergic reactions
inflammation of the sinuses
general fatigue and lethargy
...
Tags most of the symptoms, although usually a fever is a pretty good sign of a virus... Dunno - lab results should be back in a few days.
Worst outcome? How easy is it to get to the rather crowded country of India with a highly contagious problem? :oh:
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

User avatar
moab
* * * * *
Posts: 3605
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:07 pm

Re: Unknown Disease

Post by moab » Tue May 14, 2019 8:09 pm

This is gonna sound crazy. I know. Even on this forum. And even for me. lol. But I have a theory on the flus and other illnesses that keep hitting the LA area - and the US. Our flu season here lasts pretty much all year long. And the symptoms have gotten weirder and weirder. Like vomiting with a cough. Or diarrhea with a sore throat. It's never something simple like a cold or a stomach flu. Which is what it always was in the past. It always comes with strange symptoms now.

We live next to LAX. Which is the largest cesspool entry point into the USA. So I think about this frequently. Because I come down with all these mystery flus every damn year. And so does my family. And everyone at school. And everyone in our town. And then it spread across the US.

Well here goes. If I was a foreign power intent on bringing down the US. I wouldn't wipe out a shopping mall with a bomb. So that I could be identified. And dealt with. I'd take actions on a much more subtle scale that could not be tracked. But that could slow our workforce down in a major way. I'd do small things that could go undetected. But have a hugely detrimental effect on the US. Without showing your hand. Like maybe bring the workforce and the economy to a slow down we haven't seen in decades. How? Common sicknesses from all over the world.

How do you spread it? Simple. Just send a few people to LAX with said illness and have them rub and cough on everything they could come in contact with. For all the other millions of people shuttling thru that tiny space to spread throughout the US. And then head back home the next day. Or maybe spend a couple days hacking and puking and crapping on anything you could get your hands on in public areas. It probably doesn't take 24 hours for a new virus to hit LA once it hits LAX. And it just spreads from there.

It's pretty low tech, fairly cheap, and very effective. I think the CDC keeps numbers on this sort of thing - how many workers out sick etc. etc. But my wife is a Director of HR. And the amount of people out from sickness over a given year has steadily risen. And the symptoms just keep getting weirder and weirder. So if you've got a diarrhea/cough spreading across the US. They're just going to call it part of the flu season. But sometimes I wonder. It would be so easy to do. And our flus have gotten so damn weird.

I know I sound like a nutter. But it seems so simple. And such an obvious tactic. And if you think about it it would actually work. They could bring down our national economy by a fairly significant percentage. Without ever calling attention to themselves. "It's just flu season.". YA. Right. Tell that to the diarrhea coughers. ;)
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

boskone
* * *
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm
Location: Aggieland-ish

Re: Unknown Disease

Post by boskone » Tue May 14, 2019 8:52 pm

If anything, I think we're just seeing the reaction of diseases to immunization and whatnot.

Used to be (in general) a disease killed a bunch of people, and then had a while before the population recovered enough to get another plague going. These days we generally stomp out diseases when only a small fraction of the population's been exposed, much less killed.

So instead of everyone getting the same strain of a disease and a bunch of them dying until a herd immunity is built up, we start off with a herd immunity and another strain (or entirely new disease) has a dense enough population to get started.

Then you add in mobility, with a lot more people getting exposed to both different diseases and different environments, combine with high-density environments like LA, and you have a pretty hellacious bioreactor.

From a biological perspective, we're (long) overdue for a good solid plague. I'm concerned that one'll actually get started, because if it can get through our modern technological base to establish itself it'll probably be pretty terrifying.

Post Reply

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”