Propane Pre-Shortage Notice - CO

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Propane Pre-Shortage Notice - CO

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:21 pm

The declaration is a preemptive move - no customers are affected at this time, but a shortage is a possibility in the near future.
Disaster emergency declared for 33,000 Colorado propane customers

Gov. Hickenlooper declares disaster emergency due to propane shortage

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Propane Pre-Shortage Notice - CO

Post by raptor » Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:50 pm

Propane like all fuels has many points of failure. It is a great, clean fuel that has many benefits over say diesel but ease of transport is not one. Special trucks, drivers with hazmat endorsements and transfer training are needed to deliver to remote and rural areas albeit with lot of stops with small deliveries. A gas/diesel truck makes one stop to a gas station and the customers go there. Propane however is delivered to the end users. Lots can go wrong.

Despite what this article implies propane is not in short supply. The NG from which it is derived is very plentiful especially in CO,WY & UT affected by this matter.

What is not mentioned, is a key issue addressed by this Declaration Of Emergency. The drivers are running out of permissible driving time. That coupled with a shortage of drivers who have hazmat endorsements/propane transfer endorsements coupled the basic long driving distances involved add up to real logistics problems when the weather and roads are snow/ice covered. In general anything that relies on trucks for delivery these days are seeing the effects of driver shortages. This is just the most current one.

It is a good prep to have some form of alternate heating. I suspect most of these rural users have a decent plan b.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:35 pm

Thanks raptor. I didn't know about the trucking issue. Particularly the hazmat shortage.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:47 pm

raptor wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:50 pm
It is a good prep ro have some form of alternate heating. I suspect most of these rural users have a decent plan b.
Very good clarification of the issue, raptor.

Though unfortunately, excepting wool sweaters, propane heat is the only option for a lot of rural areas in Colorado. While most places have large tanks, the reality of supply problems coupled with the expense of preparing for shortages often results in the inevitable shortages.

We more than once rationed our use of propane heat growing up, but luckily we had a wood burning stove in our trailer. Thank goodness for heated blankets and quilts. That's probably the most feasible plan b for most residents of rural Colorado and Wyoming.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:45 pm

woodsghost wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:35 pm
Thanks raptor. I didn't know about the trucking issue. Particularly the hazmat shortage.
That's right. Tx raptor. BTW, I will be buying a worthless piece of paper as my Xmas gift to myself. I will need you email, in case the unthinkable happens. :clownshoes:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Beowolf wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:47 pm
raptor wrote:
Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:50 pm
It is a good prep ro have some form of alternate heating. I suspect most of these rural users have a decent plan b.
Very good clarification of the issue, raptor.

Though unfortunately, excepting wool sweaters, propane heat is the only option for a lot of rural areas in Colorado. While most places have large tanks, the reality of supply problems coupled with the expense of preparing for shortages often results in the inevitable shortages.

We more than once rationed our use of propane heat growing up, but luckily we had a wood burning stove in our trailer. Thank goodness for heated blankets and quilts. That's probably the most feasible plan b for most residents of rural Colorado and Wyoming.
Sounds like the wood stove was a decent backup. A kerosene heater and a coal fired stove are popular backup sources in a part of WY I frequent.

A backup heat source does not have to replace the whole system. It just needs to keep the house above freezing temperature.

The part of WY where I go many residents have a coal fueled heater/ fireplace. There are many local coal mines and they leave a "you shovel it" free pile of coal for anyone who wants to drive out to get it. Kinda neat community gove back program. The coal is from the waste stack and would otherwise be used as fill when the mine is reclaimef.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:43 pm

Truth is truck drivers don't make enough. This keeps a lot of higher skilled people out of the field.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:31 am

Hearing is one thing, as raptor mentioned most places have a back up of some sort. The bigger issue is these remote areas use the propane to heat water, cook food, possibly for a gen set if they lose all power in some very remote areas, the even use it for their refrigeration.

So the heat is a big issue, but everything else is bigger. I haven’t kept up with the trucking industry since my dad died. But he has hazmat cert and other stuff but he hated long haul. He got paid almost as much doing short runs across the state and was home every night. I think a lot of these guys don’t want to be away from home for days/weeks they want to be home with the wife/kid/handful of uh.... for hire friends (seems to be popular for some).
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”