The Coming Civil War - (Warning: No Politics)

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Re: The Coming Civil War - (Warning: No Politics)

Post by flybynight » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:32 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:00 pm
Step 4 - ??????? Make blockbuster movie about getting utterly defeated by local gangs and the Mob and having to retreat down the entire Eastern Seaboard all the way to the Keys
Blockbuster movie? I don't think so. That movie sucked the sweat off a dead man's balls. I'm guessing it went straight to DVD.
I don't think they go straight to dvd anymore. Straight to Netflix, Prime other streaming services. I mean that's where we all saw it.

As I'm writing this , we are watching old live news video from the L.A. riots on YT. Had forgotten how the news portrayed armed business owners protecting their stores. The carnival atmosphere of the looters . The local and state government's response which can only be described as impotent
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:21 pm

There was a racial supremacy terror mass shooting attack the other day, of the type that is always being talked about in the news that certain politicians are accused of supporting. The optics on it were all wrong so it didn't get much media coverage. It wasn't really political although it was certainly terrorist. A long discussion about why the attack was ignored is here (politics heavy in there, although neutral):

https://forward.com/opinion/436335/the- ... deafening/

The attack was rare in that a female was one of the attackers. Normally when females are involved the attacks are ideological based.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:41 am

I was just talking to the_alias the other day about the term "boogaloo"

I think it has caused a strange effect, where its a silly word that people enjoy memeing about (in case you missed it "big igloo" is another code word) but it is also so vague and ill defined that it creates a false consensus. Internet tough guy number 1 wants to go after racial group X, and he calls the imagined race war the boog', internet tough guy 2 wants to eat the rich, and calls it the boog', internet tough guy C wants to fight the police state and calls it the boog'. They all read that the other is ready for the boog, and project their own pet cause on the others and assume they have an ally, while in reality they could very well end up on opposite teams if something did go hot. Add into the mix a heaping dose of nihilism from a younger generation that half expects to see near extinction in their lifetime but love to joke about it, and there is very little productive conversation going on.

reaching a useful definition of "civil war" is painful enough, trying to define a made-up word is even worse.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:12 am

John Titor was right

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:46 pm

Hate it when it perfectly good word like Boogaloo gets added to the ever-growing list of words that the Powers that Be have placed on their "verboten" list.

https://www.adl.org/blog/the-boogaloo-e ... -civil-war

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:07 pm

I suspect that soon mouths will require a license since they may convey non-PC concepts.

When the OK hand signal became politicized anything is fair game...in fact the more common the word, gesture or symbol it is the more it suits the PC wannbees by calling attention their agenda.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... 180953258/

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:28 pm

'cause I'm bored: 2A Sanctuaries

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:17 pm

Okay folks, that's all she wrote. I'm tired of repeating myself. "NO POLITICS" means NO POLITICS

Thread locked pending mod review but I wouldn't expect it to get unlocked again.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

NT2C
ZS Forum Administrator
ZS Forum Administrator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Against my better judgment and solely because one member asked very politely to have it reopened and gave reasonable reasons to do so, this thread is now unlocked again.

However, this is the absolute last chance for this thread. Screw it up again with anything that goes contrary to the site rules and it gets locked and buried and we throw away the key. We might even douse it with gas and toss a match on it, wiping it from the system, permanently.

DO NOT TEMPT ME

Think very carefully about what you post here. You have been warned.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution. - A. Lincoln

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Now that things in the Middle East have calmed slightly, ever so slightly, I see where the price of PM has stabilized.

The Kitco chart shows the spot price of silver is now at or near a 10 year low. While I would suggest that PM is part of an over all prepping environment - it may be time to add this if you feel that having silver is a good thing. I also suggest that so-called junk (coins) silver is better than bullion for many reasons, although the bulk can be 'tiresome'.

Right now, gold is unlikely to be a reasonable choice as the time to have purchased that passed a long time ago. Last this PM was of interest to me, it sold at $800/oz - so quite some time ago....

Storing PMs is always something of a gamble, with timing to buy/sell everything....

Best of luck. The next year is bound to be interesting times indeed.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:40 pm

TacAir wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:07 pm
Now that things in the Middle East have calmed slightly, ever so slightly, I see where the price of PM has stabilized.

Image]

Great info. I'm curious if you or anyone else might have info on how they suggest one go about getting PMs today.

I could probably Google it, but I'm curious if people more experienced than myself might have some thoughts to share. Otherwise, I'm most focused on beans, bullets, and band-aids. But trying to tie up $5k in in each of those 3 presents some storage problems. And I'm not ready to sink $5k into anything right now. But an inquiring minds wishes to know for that day when I'm more in a position to diversify.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:48 pm

NT2C said (mod hat firmly affixed): However, this is the absolute last chance for this thread. Screw it up again with anything that goes contrary to the site rules and it gets locked and buried and we throw away the key.
Please, fellow posters, for the love of everything holy, DO NOT drag politics in any way, shape or form into this valuable thread. It's NOT THAT HARD to abide by the forum rules.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:53 pm

Woodghost said: Great info. I'm curious if you or anyone else might have info on how they suggest one go about getting PMs today.
Your local coin shop is usually a good bet. Also there are a number of reputable online dealers, such as SD Bullion and JM Bullion. I've used both and have been very satisfied with their prices and service. You can track current prices for gold, silver, and platinum group metals here:

http://www.kitco.com/market/

Buying and holding physical precious metals is a no-brainer when all of the world's central banks, including our own Fed, are engaged in "accommodative" monetary policies. That's all I have to say about that, since I don't want to run afoul of the no-politics rule. If you go on YouTube and watch Gregory Mannarino his daily market updates are quite insightful and he has an excellent track record of predicting what is going to move the markets. I also follow Jeremiah Babe on YouTube, though he sometimes sounds like a broken record telling us to buy silver 'cause the sky is falling.

By the way, when the super-rich start hoarding physical gold, it suggests the insiders know that Something Wicked This Way Comes.

https://www.rt.com/business/476400-worl ... ding-gold/

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gold-hig ... 34226.html

Finally, Venezuela offers a good primer for what happens when a country's currency basically becomes worthless, and a barter economy emerges with gold a key medium of exchange - but also makes those who own gold targets for criminals and gangs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... rmed-gangs

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:43 pm

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:44 pm

TacAir wrote: Now that things in the Middle East have calmed slightly, ever so slightly, I see where the price of PM has stabilized.
The technical charts suggest PMs have been overbought and are due for a pull-back. Might be a good opportunity to buy the dip.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2020-01- ... dy-buy-dip

Gold and Silver just hit new highs following a multi-month correction. It is interesting to note that none of the mining ETFs have broken their 2016 peaks. The only ETF to break its September high was SILJ.

Back to the metals, the catalyst for the recent pop—forecast in advance by the technicals—was on the back of Iran’s retaliatory strikes against the U.S. and, in my opinion, a speech by Bernanke calling for more extreme monetary and fiscal policy measures in the United States, i.e., debt monetization, including negative interest rates. Although retrospection is 20-20, it was relatively obvious that this spike higher would be short-lived. Gold and Silver were extreme overbought from a technical and positioning perspective, sentiment was extremely bullish, and news headlines such as the Iran strikes seldom have a lasting impact.

PathofPain
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by PathofPain » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:42 pm

NT2C wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:56 pm
Against my better judgment and solely because one member asked very politely to have it reopened and gave reasonable reasons to do so, this thread is now unlocked again.

However, this is the absolute last chance for this thread. Screw it up again with anything that goes contrary to the site rules and it gets locked and buried and we throw away the key. We might even douse it with gas and toss a match on it, wiping it from the system, permanently.

DO NOT TEMPT ME

Think very carefully about what you post here. You have been warned.
Really appreciate you doing this! Thank you very much and if things go off track again, I will throw in the towel and be happy with whatever the outcome is.

This is a valuable topic, because I think it is stereotypically viewed as the prepper's dream, what we've all readied for, thought through, and dare I say, even looked forward to. Of course, it is all daydreaming. It is fun to think about, and write about, even though it would be nightmarish to even remotely get close to living through.

However, I also think things get a little hokey when topics like this are brought up, because we all get in fantasy-land mode. I think ZS is a little better than that.

Therefore, let me interject a little reality into the conversation. Feel free to disagree.

I don't think we will ever see a civil-war in our lifetime in this country. And my reason is quite simple: Air conditioning.

So, I'm in the HVAC industry and it is a little more than amusing to see what happens to folk when their air conditioning stops working. Now, a little preface - my first car had no air conditioning. My second car had no air conditioning. Our house has no air conditioning. Never really lived in an air conditioned environment. So, I'm used to it. And, no judgement either way. Whenever I've been in a space with nice AC on a hot day, I'll take it. But, get someone used to something and then take it away? HELL NO. Living in the south? Double HELL NO. Think about it for yourselves or your relatives - yank away the air conditioning at the peak of summer and what would happen? I don't know if you've ever talked to someone on a 102 degree day that just had their AC die, but let me tell you - it is the end of the world. If you can't tell, I'm using air conditioning more as a bit of a loose metaphor than anything else in this case, but it works just as well as a prime example. In short, people have become too accustomed to living a comfortable life to let anything purposefully get in the way of that comfortable lifestyle.

A civil war only works if you have enough percentage of the populace wanting it, choosing it, driving it.

In the midst of a bloody civil war, many of life's modern conveniences would disappear, and too many people have gotten too dependent upon them to choose to go without them for the sake of their personal civil vendettas. Maybe 60 years ago, but not today. People are too comfortable. People are weak. People don't want to be uncomfortable. There is a large percentage of an aging population that would not be compatible with such a widespread conflict, and too many relatives of those people that couldn't dismiss them. Our upcoming generation is so technologically dependent and too mentally unstable and beliefs too fickle that were that to be disrupted in any large degree, they would simply crumble.

Imagine phone networks down for 3 days. People would go mad. How would you do? Power goes out for 12 hours and people lose their minds. Now, imagine it never working right again. No more facebook, online shopping, lyft, food deliveries, prescription ordering, automatic updates, Alexa, video games, internet tv, and of course, A/C. All by choice. No football ever again. See? Never going to happen.

Then again, maybe at that point people would become so desperate that they actually would wage a war just to reinstate all those conveniences. The point is, nobody would ever choose it, ever. Not anymore. Remember, I'm talking about average people that are now completely dependent on google to know anything, their car navigation to go anywhere, their phone to solve all the problems they know nothing about, which is most of their problems. These are people that are living in the moment, demand instant gratification, and know nothing about navigation, fieldcraft, off-roading, mechanics, guns, carpentry, weather patterns, first aid, radio communications, and are constantly becoming worse at communication/negotiation, etc.

I'm interested to hear rebuttals.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:08 pm

Your point does make sense.
However, I do note that "civilized" places waged civil on many occasion.
The threat of no HVAC, power and internet is IMO not likely to prevent a conflict. On the other hand if one occurs it will certain drive people towards the areas that may still have such items.

In short it may reduce the desire for conflict but only after a few weeks/months.
The rally cry may be "Remember the HVAC, Onward to Comfort!"
(yes that tag line is tongue in cheek :clownshoes: but it gets the point across).

I look at Katrina and its aftermath. The lack of power places open as well as intense heat humidity and darkness at night soon became normal to me and many others.
Yes we wanted the comfort back but it still quickly became the norm.

I believe on the other hand the wide spread violence is not likely but then remember less than 3% of the colonists fought the revolutionary war. During the US Civil war In the northern states had a roughly similar level of mobilization while the CSA had only 11%.

It does not a lot of people to cause a lot of widespread damage.

The above said I do agree that rational people would not chose such a conflict. Hopefully the rational "adults" will do their best to restrain the irrational people.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:49 pm

PathofPain wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:42 pm

I don't think we will ever see a civil-war in our lifetime in this country. And my reason is quite simple: Air conditioning.
I think you have some good arguments. However, one does not need to destroy air conditioning or cellular access to prosecute a civil war. One only needs people willing to leave their house, shoot at someone or blow something up, and go back home. An example is the Irish Republican Army. One might argue they were a "terrorist organization." I'll differ on that one.

Further, one can argue that Iraq has/had cellular access and if AC was more widespread, one would be able to argue that an air conditioned, cellularized people were conducting a civil war in addition to other types of conflict at the time (and ongoing currently).

Now, you don't have to buy *my* arguments, but that is the way I see things. Just my opinions. And there are people in America who would be willing to prosecute a civil war in rural areas, both vehicle mobile and foot mobile. I don't think it would be difficult to conduct a civil war in an urban area and also maintain AC and other "essential" services. Only if things got very conventional would services start to fall apart and raise ire.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:26 am

No air conditioning huh? So what about the people accustomed to work in non air conditioned jobs? Farmers , construction ,Highway repair , electrical supply repair men. I mean the list would be quite extensive . A rage or fear inspired event beginning a civil war , would not be inhibited by a cessation of creature comforts. It would only become the same thing that happens in any large scale disaster. The new reality

John Titor was right

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 am

I've noted before that folks are asking about 'the coming civil war' and over look the one we are currently (ongoing) engaged in.

This 'war' flares up to record levels from time to time - example of this 'flaring ' from times past:

"The 1967 Detroit Rebellion, also known as the 1967 Detroit Riot or 12th Street riot was the bloodiest incident in the "Long, hot summer of 1967".
Composed mainly of confrontations between black residents and the Detroit Police Department, it began in the early morning hours of Sunday July 23, 1967, in Detroit, Michigan. "

You can see the same violence in the same city back in 1943!

More recently, problems (riots and near riots) in Baltimore have been in the news. In most major urban centers a state of near war exists today...I've described it as a slow-motion riot.

Many seemed concerned that the .mil will get involved. That is unlikely in the near or immediate future. I'm not ruling out local Governors calling out their State's Guard assets - we saw that in California in the Rodney King riots. Active military was sent to the area as well.

Could an isolated incidence of violence escalate into something more wide-spread? Yes, that has happened many times.

The response of the Powers That Be (Local or State) may determine the course of the outbreak.

AS for the Regular forces - unlikely. Why? The Posse Comitatus Ac

A look at the history of the PCA may help many understand what it is and what the PCA is not.

...most commentators who opine on this law are wrong. The Posse Comitatus Act was not, as they assert and as most people believe, enacted to prevent members of military services from acting as a national police force. It was enacted to prevent the Army from being abused by having its soldiers pressed into service as police officers (a posse) by local law enforcement officials in the post-Reconstruction South.

A paper - Domestic Operational Law: The Posse Comitatus Act and Homeland Security published by the respected Combined Arms Center (US Army) is worth the time to read. (can be found on-line)

In part, the paper noted -
"Somehow, in the past 125 years, the meaning of the Posse Comitatus Act has been stood on its head. Clearly the exposition above demonstrates that the intent of the act was not to preclude the Army from enforcing the law but instead was designed to allow the Army to do this only when directed to do so by the President or Congress." I've added the boldface.

This document goes on to list specifics-

The Effect of the Posse Comitatus Act

Before speculating on why this act is so misunderstood, it is useful to spell out exactly what the act as it is written does and does not do. The Posse Comitatus Act

Applies only to the Army, and by extension the Air Force, which was formed out of the Army in 1947.

Does not apply to the Navy and Marine Corps. However, the Department of Defense has consistently held that the Navy and Marine Corps should behave as if the act applied to them.

Does not apply to the Coast Guard, which is part of the Department of Transportation and is both an armed force and is already a a law enforcement agency with police powers.

Does not apply to the National Guard in its role as state troops on state active duty under the command of the respective governors.

May not apply to the National Guard (qua militia) even when it is called to federal active duty. The Posse Comitatus Act contains no restrictions on the use of the federalized militia as it did on the regular Army.9 It is commonly believed, however, that National Guard units and personnel come under the Posse Comitatus Act when they are on federal active duty, and this interpretation is followed today.

Does not apply to state guards or State Defense Forces under the command of the respective governors. You should see if your State has one of these organizations. I know Alaska and Texas both have such a Force.

Does not apply to military personnel assigned to military police, shore police, or security police duties. The military police have jurisdiction over military members subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice. They also exercise police powers over military dependents and others on military installations. The history of the law makes it clear that it was not intended to prevent federal police (for example, marshals) from enforcing the law.

Does not apply to civilian employees, including those who are sworn law enforcement officers. The origin and legislative history of the act make it clear that it applies only to military personnel. In those days, there were no civilian employees of the Army in the sense that there are today. In particular, no one envisioned that the Army would hire civilian police officers to enforce the laws at its facilities.

Does not prevent the President from using federal troops in riots or civil disorders. Federal troops were used for domestic operations more than 200 times in the two centuries from 1795 to 1995. Most of these operations were to enforce the law, and many of them were to enforce state law rather than federal law. Nor does it prevent the military services from supporting local or federal law enforcement officials as long as the troops are not used to arrest citizens or investigate crimes.

The paper was originally published in the February 2002 edition of Journal of Homeland Security. It goes on to call for a replacement of the PCA - given that it is so misunderstood/misrepresented.

So what the future may hold is one thing, but we can rule out some options- short of all out rebellion across the Nation, something so unbelievable as to place that in the category of alcohol-fueled fantasy....
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 am

Thanks Tac. Nice article.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:46 pm

Good post TAC.

Not exactly apple to apples but just another fact point showing a massive mobilization of US forces inside the US.

I would note that in the aftermath of Katrina (no martial law was not declared!) that every branch of the armed services deployed to south LA & MS upon the orders of the POTUS. For instance The 82nd Airborne was deployed to fix the airport at MSY among other functions.

The MP units of the La NG remained under state control to provide LEO support. The other NG units while deployed were generally but not always (no on really seemed to know then or now) where under the command of LTG Russel Honore (BTW I love that guy and still love his "stuck on stupid" comment).

https://www.army.mil/article/45029/the_ ... ne_katrina

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:34 pm

Six members of the Neo-Nazi group "The Base" have been arrested so far in various plots to murder Antifa protestors and capitalize on 2A protests in Virginia in hopes of triggering a race based Civil War.

https://www.dailypress.com/nation-world ... story.html

I have to wonder if they did even the most remedial research on their organization name before they picked it. Al Queda (The Base in Arabic) is one of the most hated organizations in the US. Naming themselves after Nazis and the group responsible for the largest mass murder attack in US history would seem to make them a rather exclusive club.

There have been a number of thefts of large quantities of explosives lately and it making law enforcement nervous.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:44 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:34 pm

There have been a number of thefts of large quantities of explosives lately and it making law enforcement nervous.
This is too bad. Is there any ability to share whether military or civilian explosives? I'm just vulgerly curious. No real prepping reason. I don't expect the source of explosives would change the effects of those explosives. I also don't expect it would be hard to import those through the usual smuggling channels.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”