The Coming Civil War

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: The Coming Civil War

Post by NT2C » Sun May 19, 2019 11:44 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:32 am
Found an interesting site called CivilWar dot news. Won't link to it because some of the commentary is a bit inflammatory and political, but it has some interesting articles. It seems to me there's been a proliferation lately of online articles and commentary with the general view that a civil war has now become inevitable and is fast approaching. I'd like to think it's just overheated rhetoric, but at what point does it become a self-fulfilling prophecy?
Links to other sites that contain such things are permissible. ZS rules on politics, etc. obviously do not apply outside of ZS and we encourage members who wish to engage in such discussions to make use of one of the many sites out there that allow and even encourage it. Banning links to such sites on here would work against that policy.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 19, 2019 12:48 pm

There is a serious move afoot in Illinois to remove Chicago from the State and have Chicago become a State of it's own. If this happens Chicago would be the 36th most populous state and Illinois would become move from 6th to 10th or 11th.

While I doubt this will happen this highlights the idea of separatism in the US as a growing phenomena.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun May 19, 2019 1:54 pm

CA,TX and belive it or not MS have similar separatist movements with varying levels support.

It is unlikely any will get the support needed to achieve this through lawful means. The MS one in particular.

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun May 19, 2019 2:04 pm

Stercutus said: While I doubt this will happen this highlights the idea of separatism in the US as a growing phenomena.
I agree. Here in Colorado a sizable percentage of the population in the more rural or conservative areas or towns are very unhappy about essentially being ruled from Denver, with its "progressive" leadership and policies, with the ban on high-cap mags being a particular sore point. As counties get taxed to pay for policies they don't agree with and are seen as benefiting big cities like Denver rather than the outlying counties, I would expect that the succession initiatives are going to gather momentum.

boskone

Post by boskone » Sun May 19, 2019 2:51 pm

raptor wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:54 pm
CA,TX and belive it or not MS have similar separatist movements with varying levels support.

It is unlikely any will get the support needed to achieve this through lawful means. The MS one in particular.
I think there are different levels of separatism being discussed than those...mostly, at least.

You're pointing, I think, to Texas' famous (and California's considerably more popular) state secession movements.

What Stercutus is talking about is like the "3 California" plan, where a state splits into multiple components to (theoretically) better represent regional needs and preferences. I don't think there's any particular impetus in TX or MS to do such a thing. (I don't think there's a lot of support in CA, but it's had a serious legislative proposition recently; the last time in Texas was almost a century ago.)

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun May 19, 2019 4:47 pm

The CA movement is similar to the IL movemnent. TX has about a dozen different concepts. Some are similar to IL others are secessionist.

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun May 19, 2019 6:15 pm

I thought it was .net & ended up here.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sun May 19, 2019 10:05 pm

MPMalloy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:15 pm
I ended up at a monthly digital historical magazine
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sun May 19, 2019 11:26 pm

flybynight wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:05 pm
MPMalloy wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 6:15 pm
I ended up at a monthly digital historical magazine
It seems I've been borking the links lately. :?

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 am

Link below. Disclaimer: it's rather inflammatory and sensational.

https://www.civilwar.news

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 20, 2019 11:29 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 8:20 am

I haven't seen this one before but it is exactly what I am talking about. I especially like their "How To" articles on post SHTF looting rather ironically placed in their "rioting" category. They even include articles in physical fitness. You don't want to tear a muscle pulling copper pipes out of a wall.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Mon May 20, 2019 11:45 am

absinthe beginner wrote:
...it's rather inflammatory and sensational.
OMG! Just a bit! :clownshoes:
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Mon May 20, 2019 11:48 am

Stercutus wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:29 am
absinthe beginner wrote:

I haven't seen this one before but it is exactly what I am talking about. I especially like their "How To" articles on post SHTF looting rather ironically placed in their "rioting" category. They even include articles in physical fitness. You don't want to tear a muscle pulling copper pipes out of a wall.
Say what? Okay, we're not going to discuss any of us doing illegal activities, but I think it's reasonable to discuss what illegal activities might be done by others and how to protect against them. So, that being said, the part I don't get is, what's the point of tearing copper pipe and wiring out of walls in a true SHTF situation while rioting is going on? Do they honestly think the scrap metal dealer is going to be open for business as usual? :crazy: :lol:

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 20, 2019 12:05 pm

No, I added that flourish. But it makes sense. When building your PAW base you might need to fabricate showers for your followers before they start to stink too bad. But yeah, the How-To articles on looting are for real.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Mon May 27, 2019 6:57 am

7 signs Civil War is about to happen in the U.S.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEx4EkLEQvA

America's 2nd Revolutionary War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkJ_ZiX_Tek&t=21s

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:38 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... spartanntp

This lengthy article discusses how most of the various states are essentially under one party rule. I will point out that when they contrast Illinois and Alabama they leave out a lot of legislation that was pushed through and signed in Alabama such as the legalization of CBD Oil, medical marijuana research and other issues generally regarded as leftist. So maybe the sky is not falling as fast as they would think if legislators are working together on such things.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:51 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am
Another nutter goes off the rails.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/06/17/a-s ... ial-media/
Another psychotic, military reject, incel with indecipherable ideas committing suicide by cop. Sad really.

You can't really see it but this is less than 2 blocks from where the Dallas 2016 shoot out with police took place. Mr. Clydes never really had a chance to show the world how batshit crazy he really was. The Dallas police certainly are past taking chances, as our most around the country.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Things like this do not happen in a healthy, functioning democracy.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06- ... -lawmakers

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:18 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Excellent find. Practically no major news outlets were reporting on this, which in of itself is fascinating. And now this:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oregon ... an-walkout

The Oregon state Senate closed Saturday after a “possible militia threat” from a right-wing group -- amid a broader drama over a walkout by Republican lawmakers over looming climate change legislation.

RIght-wing groups posted their support for the 12 rebel Republicans on Friday, including one group -- the Oregon Three Percenters -- who joined in an armed takeover of a wildlife refuge in 2016.
If the 3%ers try to take over the Senate it won't be all touchy feely like it was when they took over the refuge.

The police will treat an armed incursion like what it is. They will kill them.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:47 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:51 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am
Another nutter goes off the rails.

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2019/06/17/a-s ... ial-media/
Another psychotic, military reject, incel with indecipherable ideas committing suicide by cop. Sad really.

You can't really see it but this is less than 2 blocks from where the Dallas 2016 shoot out with police took place. Mr. Clydes never really had a chance to show the world how batshit crazy he really was. The Dallas police certainly are past taking chances, as our most around the country.
I saw a close up picture of this guy right after this incident began.The look in his eyes is hard to describe or forget. Pain, madness, fear , resignation.
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:15 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:18 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:41 pm

Excellent find. Practically no major news outlets were reporting on this, which in of itself is fascinating. And now this:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/oregon ... an-walkout

The Oregon state Senate closed Saturday after a “possible militia threat” from a right-wing group -- amid a broader drama over a walkout by Republican lawmakers over looming climate change legislation.

RIght-wing groups posted their support for the 12 rebel Republicans on Friday, including one group -- the Oregon Three Percenters -- who joined in an armed takeover of a wildlife refuge in 2016.
If the 3%ers try to take over the Senate it won't be all touchy feely like it was when they took over the refuge.

The police will treat an armed incursion like what it is. They will kill them.
Which has the potential to escalate rapidly as such an act would draw in other such "militia" groups from around the PNW and even other parts of the country. IMHO the governor needs to de-escalate the situation by calling off the state police and the threat to drag the legislators back.

I'd love to discuss the politics of all this here, because that dimension of the situation is pretty fascinating, but as a mod I can't allow that, so let's just restrict our comments to ways we can prepare ourselves to make it through this kind of civil unrest.

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:04 pm

There is a huge benefit in learning the language of "the other side." I grew up blue collar / redneck, and then spent the first 14 years of my adult life living next door to a liberal university and heavily involved in social activities dominated by the kids from that university. Most political arguments I witness now are people talking right past one another cause while they are both speaking English, they often have very different cultural connotations for many words and concepts. They're not truly speaking the same language anymore. So two intelligent compassionate people can each easily think the other is a foolish psycho.

Truly learning the view and language of "the other side" can do a lot to calm people and reduce conflict. If more people advocated and practiced this, there might be less fear over future conflict escalating.

If conflict erupts despite efforts to curb it, having the social and linguistic skills to interact safely and calmly with more people will give you a huge advantage. Being known as a voice of calm, reason, and compassion by people on both sides also increases the chances you will be able to get help when you need it. You simply have a wider range of people to call on.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:08 am

Another sign of the times: toxic polarization in Oregon. How can you hope for honest, competent governance with this level of partisan rancor?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/oregon-cap ... 1561240791

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”