The Coming Civil War

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

flybynight

Re: The Coming Civil War

Post by flybynight » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:35 am

Foreign agitators and events that happen in other countries that will be used to influence American politics/ law and all that.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/footballers- ... 11332.html
As of now I bet you got me wrong

John Titor was right

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 am

Foreign agitators are indeed hoping the US devolves into civil war.

If you look at history as horrible as the US civil war was for the US; It was great for the major powers of the day. The UK, France. Germany and Russia spent this time and the US re-construction era to expand their spheres of influence.

Thus a US civil war would likewise be a boon for our current rivals.

So yes foreign interests will stoke the flames of any conflict within the US.

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:03 am

flybynight wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:03 pm
I would suggest everyone redouble their prepping efforts before the next presidential election. With a lot more attention to food preps, drinking water availability and with this particularly bitter winter ending . Alternate or back up home heating
Great advice, I have a feeling we’ll need more than that, we’ll probably need more on the billets side unfortunately. Never the less, food, water, and shelter preps are great!
raptor wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:35 am
Foreign agitators are indeed hoping the US devolves into civil war.

If you look at history as horrible as the US civil war was for the US; It was great for the major powers of the day. The UK, France. Germany and Russia spent this time and the US re-construction era to expand their spheres of influence.

Thus a US civil war would likewise be a boon for our current rivals.

So yes foreign interests will stoke the flames of any conflict within the US.
To be fair when we had our civil war we weren’t a stain in our mothers under garments. We were nothing more than a backwater. We didn’t become a powerhouse until after WWI, and a superpower until after WWII.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

absinthe beginner
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 am

Flybynight said: Foreign agitators and events that happen in other countries that will be used to influence American politics/ law and all that.
When you ask yourself the "cui bono" question - who benefits? - several parties come to mind who would love to see America tear itself to pieces, giving them a free hand to impose their own hegemony. China is the main one that comes to mind. You have to wonder how far outside forces would go to stir the pot and exploit the centrifugal forces in American society.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:00 pm

To be fair when we had our civil war we weren’t a stain in our mothers under garments. We were nothing more than a backwater. We didn’t become a powerhouse until after WWI, and a superpower until after WWII.
The post Civil War US Military was arguably the most powerful on the planet at the time. It would never have worked as an expeditionary force but there was no force on the planet that could have challenged it in the US. It was quickly dissolved due to real constitution concerns so that 35 years later there practically was no Army.

The expansion of the industrial base led to turning the US into a real industrial powerhouse. By 1900 more than 60% of the steel produced on the planet was produced in the US.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:03 pm

The Monroe Doctrine was in place in 1823. The US may not be able project power like the big boys of the day but the Barbary Wars showed it was best not to mess with us especially in our backyard.

In fact the only reason France intervened in Mexico in 1860s was because the Civil War was still on progeess.

So yes the big boys exploited the US Civil War just as the other players would do so now.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:03 pm

I watched the Highwaymen on Netflix ( actually several times now, Pretty good movie ) It's about the two Texas Rangers who chased down Bonnie and Clyde. As I watched it I was looking at stuff online about them and that era of history. I had no idea the resentment people had for banks and the degree they held the government responsible for the depression . So in addition to general civil unrest . Gangster type crime would probably also return.

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:35 pm

That was a good movie. I don't care much for Costner but he did a good job in that. Harrelson was good as always.

The 30s was an era oddly devoid of uprisings and rebellions. The State and Central Government were going to great lengths to provide assistance to those effected by the Depression, provide reforms to workers, create jobs through public works and other programs. Fascism and communism were both on the rise and seen as the greater threat.

Most of the larger revolts in the US took place before 1922 and a lot of much smaller ones taking place or 1945 onward.

Many are listed here but it by no means an exhaustive list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category: ... ted_States
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:09 am

Unless the proliferation of robberies and lawlessness in that era was in fact motivated by a sense of oppression of the little people by big business/government . No doubt greed ,played the most important aspect of Outlaws like Dillinger and Bonnie and Clyde. But if there was a feeling of persecution . It maybe was the impetus to begin a life of crime and provided the justification to continue. They may have not just been common criminals, but examples of a type of insurrection.

John Titor was right

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:33 pm

Clyde Barrow got his start stealing cars and as a petty thief as a teen. He was sexually assaulted in his first trip to jail and took that up as a grudge against the criminal justice system that "put him there". He did manage to murder his assailant eventually.

Pretty Boy Floyd also started his life of crime with armed robbery well before the Depression started. After the Depression started he became a sympathetic figure because he allegedly destroyed mortgage documents during bank robberies. This was likely a fanciful media invention. After his death Steinbeck and others chose him as an anti-hero of the Depression era. These were more inventions.

In fact if you go back and look at these figures they were all pretty much just criminals well before the depression started.

The idea of victimhood as an excuse for bad behavior is a long and storied one in the US. The media propagating and selling such ideas to sell their media is also a very old concept.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:39 am

New podcast: It Could Happen Here

I haven't listened to it yet, but it's along the lines of this thread. Bound to be political.

(insert boilerplate here) :clownshoes:

Dabster

Post by Dabster » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:17 am

MPMalloy wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:39 am
New podcast: It Could Happen Here

I haven't listened to it yet, but it's along the lines of this thread. Bound to be political.

(insert boilerplate here) :clownshoes:
This podcast is quite good. My wife and daughters listened to the first episode with me last night. No great prepping advice but an interesting theory for how this could spin up.
Shiney side out... Shiney side out...

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:32 pm

I have been doing a little research on the 3% Security Force group (not the 3% Militia Group, that is a different thing). They want to interpret the law their own way and follow whatever laws that want to follow and not follow the ones they don't, so essentially WROL. They have made up pretend military ranks for themselves and like to dress all "operator" style.

I had thought the militia movement mostly died off in the late 90s but I guess those groups never really go away.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Thu May 02, 2019 6:36 am

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/ant ... rebellion/

Umm, ok. Skeptical to the point of "not quite sure this was properly vetted before release".

Not that it would be impossible. Stupid and criminal go together like peas and carrots. But it seems cartoonishly dumb.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu May 02, 2019 8:59 am

Umm, ok. Skeptical to the point of "not quite sure this was properly vetted before release".
What's concerning to me is that the FBI can use quite possibly fabricated reports from informants - who tend to tell not to be the most scrupulous individuals - to investigate anyone for anything, even if the information seems ludicrous. The potential for abuse and running roughshod over people's civil liberties seems high.

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu May 02, 2019 10:29 am

Another brawl between "two large groups of people" (Antifa & Patriot Prayer) in Portland. Groups like these are feeding off each other in stirring the pot. We might be in for a hot summer.

https://katu.com/news/local/large-fight ... nconscious

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 02, 2019 12:50 pm

Stercutus wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:36 am
https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/ant ... rebellion/

Not that it would be impossible. Stupid and criminal go together like peas and carrots. But it seems cartoonishly dumb.
The more I read stuff like this, the more encouraged I am to buy better quality ammo, train more, and add additional spare mags to my EDC.
Nonsolis Radios Sediouis Fulmina Mitto. - USN Gunner's Mate motto

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 02, 2019 1:41 pm

Reminder: ZS has hard and fast rules as to what are taboo topics, and near the top of that list is politics. ZS rules on this will be strictly enforced by the mod team.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sic quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit; occidentis telum est - Seneca the Younger, Epistles

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Thu May 02, 2019 2:07 pm

NTC2 said: Reminder: ZS has hard and fast rules as to what are taboo topics, and near the top of that list is politics. ZS rules on this will be strictly enforced by the mod team.
Was that comment aimed at me? I share the OPs view that the scenario described seemed unlikely, but since the supposed "threat" has been widely discussed in the media and on the Internet, I didn't think I was out of line bringing up some of the potential implications of possibly spurious information being used to trigger federal LEO investigations. That to me is more in the realm of civil liberties than politics.

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm

absinthe beginner wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:07 pm
NTC2 said: Reminder: ZS has hard and fast rules as to what are taboo topics, and near the top of that list is politics. ZS rules on this will be strictly enforced by the mod team.
Was that comment aimed at me? I share the OPs view that the scenario described seemed unlikely, but since the supposed "threat" has been widely discussed in the media and on the Internet, I didn't think I was out of line bringing up some of the potential implications of possibly spurious information being used to trigger federal LEO investigations. That to me is more in the realm of civil liberties than politics.
No sir, it was not aimed at you. It was aimed at everyone as a general reminder after I had to RSB two comments from this thread. (One that went very political, the other that quoted the first)

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu May 02, 2019 3:32 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:28 pm
absinthe beginner wrote:
No sir, it was not aimed at you. It was aimed at everyone as a general reminder after I had to RSB two comments from this thread. (One that went very political, the other that quoted the first)
Since my comment made it to the cool :crazy: kids section. Think he meant me :roll: :gonk: :twisted: I got The Red Velvet Hobnail Boot of Doom. NT2C hope you didn't have to shoot your monitor again

John Titor was right

NT2C
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by NT2C » Thu May 02, 2019 4:07 pm

flybynight wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:32 pm
NT2C wrote:
absinthe beginner wrote:
Since my comment made it to the cool :crazy: kids section. Think he meant me :roll: :gonk: :twisted: I got The Red Velvet Hobnail Boot of Doom. NT2C hope you didn't have to shoot your monitor again
Actually, your comment got put there because it quoted the comment that was political, so you kinda made it to RSB on a technicality and you're not really one of the "cool kids", as you refer to them. (In the mod forum we call them something entirely different)

Trust me, if a warning is directed at you, you'll know it from the message in your inbox.

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Thu May 02, 2019 4:38 pm

NT2C wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:07 pm
flybynight wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:32 pm
NT2C wrote:
absinthe beginner wrote:

Actually, your comment got put there because it quoted the comment that was political, so you kinda made it to RSB on a technicality and you're not really one of the "cool kids", as you refer to them. (In the mod forum we call them something entirely different)

Trust me, if a warning is directed at you, you'll know it from the message in your inbox.
Wait … What ? Sorry buddy . I was listening to the story Jack Nicholson was telling . Wow Scarlett Johansson is really pretty in real life. Better step away from the barrier. Don't think the bouncer has your name on his list

John Titor was right

absinthe beginner

Post by absinthe beginner » Sun May 19, 2019 10:32 am

Found an interesting site called CivilWar dot news. Won't link to it because some of the commentary is a bit inflammatory and political, but it has some interesting articles. It seems to me there's been a proliferation lately of online articles and commentary with the general view that a civil war has now become inevitable and is fast approaching. I'd like to think it's just overheated rhetoric, but at what point does it become a self-fulfilling prophecy?

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”