Page 1 of 1

Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:46 am
by NamelessStain
Every few months this topic seems to come out in some media outlets. So I am not trying to induce panic or spread fear, I just though this one article was kind of humorous.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/94 ... -emergency

Apparently about 20 first responder units went to train for a Yellowstone volcanic eruption. OK, but isn't most of Yellowstone going to be a fiery hell of lava and volcanic ash? Livescience talks about how it is estimated that 500 mile radius around such an event would have up to an inch of ash:

https://www.livescience.com/20714-yello ... ption.html

Just go look at the info from the 1980 Mt. St. Helens eruption.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1980_erup ... St._Helens

That's a baby compared to this beast. They estimate 10X the destructive force for Yellowstone.

1991 Mount Pinatubo, PI... baby.
https://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/1997/fs113-97/

So, these 20 first responder units are training to simulate a bus crash during an eruption? So fugged. I almost found it comical.

Peace.

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:39 am
by Confucius
So, an eruption doesn't have to be a massive "supervolcano" type eruption. Much more likely is a smaller eruption or lava flow like the one that formed the west thumb of Yellowstone lake 174,000 years ago. It's a highly active region, smallish steam explosions are highly likely too.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrothermal_explosion

In the event of a small eruption or steam explosion, yeah, training to evacuate tourists and save people from busses seems appropriate. How would you suggest first responders prepare for an extinction level event? I live in Montana in the kill zone for a major eruption, am not concerned

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:35 am
by NamelessStain
Most of the articles pertaining to Yellowstone super volcano generally do not speculate gentle lava flows or small steam explosions. I never have an issue with first responders training for whatever event. But as you say "extinction events" seem to be just that, extinctions. There's no real training for them, they happen. Now saying they are training for a bus recovery in the event it goes over the side of a hill, I'd give that a bug thumbs up. I like it. Saying you are training for when a super volcano erupts, I kind of shake my head.

That level of catastrophe will be so overwhelming it will be worse than a war zone, imo. Not just from the severity of the event, but the area which it will cover, being most of the USA. PTS and PTSD will be like wildfire as it will overwhelm the senses of the majority of people. It's not like we can just bring in resources like when a hurricane hits. This will affect the entire country and resources will be needed everywhere.

Now how would I personally train for this type of extinction events? I'd grab a cocktail, preferably some bourbon, and a cigar. Walk down to the end of the driveway and face west. Hopefully I will have a good view of the ash cloud as it approaches. I do not have an underground BOL nor enough supplies to last the 5+ years of nuclear winter. As all preppers know, prepping is no more than risk management. I do not plan for nuclear, super volcanoes, asteroids falling on the earth, nor any other extinction level events. My resources say these are too expensive, so I keep a bottle of bourbon and a cigar as my prep for these events. (Pro tip: keep a few extra cigars around, the neighbors will enjoy them)

/raises glass .."Come get me mother nature!"

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:48 am
by CG
NamelessStain wrote: Now how would I personally train for this type of extinction events? I'd grab a cocktail, preferably some bourbon, and a cigar. Walk down to the end of the driveway and face west. Hopefully I will have a good view of the ash cloud as it approaches. I do not have an underground BOL nor enough supplies to last the 5+ years of nuclear winter. As all preppers know, prepping is no more than risk management. I do not plan for nuclear, super volcanoes, asteroids falling on the earth, nor any other extinction level events. My resources say these are too expensive, so I keep a bottle of bourbon and a cigar as my prep for these events. (Pro tip: keep a few extra cigars around, the neighbors will enjoy them)

/raises glass .."Come get me mother nature!"
Might I recommend proper rotation of your cigars? You don't want a stale one for TEOTWAWKI.

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:04 pm
by Stercutus
I recommend digging side tunnels to gently vent the pressure over thousands of years.

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:10 pm
by NamelessStain
CG wrote:
NamelessStain wrote: Now how would I personally train for this type of extinction events? I'd grab a cocktail, preferably some bourbon, and a cigar. Walk down to the end of the driveway and face west. Hopefully I will have a good view of the ash cloud as it approaches. I do not have an underground BOL nor enough supplies to last the 5+ years of nuclear winter. As all preppers know, prepping is no more than risk management. I do not plan for nuclear, super volcanoes, asteroids falling on the earth, nor any other extinction level events. My resources say these are too expensive, so I keep a bottle of bourbon and a cigar as my prep for these events. (Pro tip: keep a few extra cigars around, the neighbors will enjoy them)

/raises glass .."Come get me mother nature!"
Might I recommend proper rotation of your cigars? You don't want a stale one for TEOTWAWKI.
Aye, I have 2 humidors. One for friends, one for neighbors. :clap:

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:00 am
by teotwaki
Steamboat Geyser at Yellowstone National Park erupts for third time in six weeks

YELLOWSTONE NATIONAL PARK, Wyo. -- Yellowstone National Park geologists have reported the third eruption from the world's largest active geyser in the past six weeks. The National Park Service says a park visitor reported seeing a rare eruption of Steamboat Geyser on Friday. Park geologists compared the report with seismic activity and the discharge of water and concluded the eruption probably started at 6:30 a.m. The geyser also erupted on March 15 and April 19. All three eruptions were smaller than the last major eruption that occurred on Sept. 3, 2014.

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:00 am
by Grey dog
NamelessStain wrote:Most of the articles pertaining to Yellowstone super volcano generally do not speculate gentle lava flows or small steam explosions. I never have an issue with first responders training for whatever event. But as you say "extinction events" seem to be just that, extinctions. There's no real training for them, they happen. Now saying they are training for a bus recovery in the event it goes over the side of a hill, I'd give that a bug thumbs up. I like it. Saying you are training for when a super volcano erupts, I kind of shake my head.
No, hardly anyone talks about lower level events there because its not sensational enough, even if more likely than a huge event happening without warning.

The volcanic events Ive seen in the news over the years nearly always start becoming active in some way for some time before the biggest part of their eruptions go off. Again, that doesnt fit the "Extinction Level Event!!!" sensationalism narrative/mindset that seems to surround Yellowstone. The video of buffalo "fleeing the park" a few years ago in the spring was another example of the trying to make things fit the narrative. Never mind it was filmed weeks before the minor seismic activity that it was supposedly related to and is normal for spring to move to new areas as they open up. It was hilarious to see the amount of attention it garnered.

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:47 am
by Zed Hunter
I live in denver. Il just go outside and look at the flash.

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:27 pm
by absinthe beginner
More hyperventilating about July earthquake swarms at Yellowstone.

We're all gonna die...yawn.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/10 ... quake-USGS

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:20 pm
by flybynight
Without researching it. I'm willing to bet not a single super volcano in the history of Earth ever erupted at super volcano strength without hundreds to thousands of years of smaller scale eruptions . Or more

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:04 pm
by absinthe beginner
More doom porn.

http://endoftheamericandream.com/archiv ... to-the-sky

Is Yellowstone Going To Erupt? New Geysers Are Erupting And “Debris And Rocks” Are Being Hurled Into The Sky…

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:02 pm
by majorhavoc
Thread necro, I suppose. But the threat's still there and I didn't want to start a duplicate thread.

This is an opinion piece to be sure, but still a bit surprising to see it in a media outlet like the New York Times.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/21/opin ... e=Homepage

I didn't learn much new about the Yellowstone supervolcano itself, but I was gratified to see a discussion on the difficultly most people have equating a high probability, low consequence event with a low probability, but astronomically high consequence event.
But extremely unlikely isn’t the same thing as impossible, even though it’s human nature to conflate the two. What sets existential risks apart from everyday dangers isn’t likelihood but consequence.

Re: Yellowstone volcano eruption

Posted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:26 pm
by Stercutus
This is an opinion piece to be sure, but still a bit surprising to see it in a media outlet like the New York Times.
Nah, the NYT has been priming the pump on the "we are all going to die" scenarios pretty hard since oh...November 2016. Not sure why. :roll: