Apoceclipse: Dogan Edition.

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Apoceclipse: Dogan Edition.

Post by Dogan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:27 pm

T MINUS 26 DAYS 19 HOURS

A forecasted one million plus people will be coming to my Oregon to watch the eclipse. The Oregon Office of Emergency Management has issued a bunch of warnings, expecting phone lines to go down, fuel lines to form, and supply chain issues.

My plan:

I've already gotten a room in the path of totality. I'll be packing my BOV with a week worth of food and water (in addition to the 3 days worth I keep in there), as much extra fuel as I can safely fit on my roof rack, in addition to a few odds and ends such as a sleep system, more first aid gear, and camp toilet.

Plan is currently to leave at midnight or so on Saturday of the eclipse and drive to my room, hoping to traverse 56 miles in less than 8 hours, scope out viewing points, then bug in and keep myself entertained until Monday, then leave at about 0600 Monday and stake out a location in a nearby park with LOS to the eclipse. Leave by 1045 to try and beat some of the traffic leaving the state.

Anyone have any advice?
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Stercutus

Re: Apoceclipse: Dogan Edition.

Post by Stercutus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:57 pm

Stay home, Watch it on TV? Sublet out your room for 5X whatever you paid for it and hit the beach instead with the extra money.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

flybynight

Post by flybynight » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:36 pm

You need to infiltrate the high ground, cause a diversion over here... cut holes in the wire here, fire on all the machine gun positions. Then your B-Group comes across the area in a flanking maneuver... and when you reach the bunker, you lay down grazing fire on the defilade. I think that's pretty simple. Got any questions so far? :ooh:
Not all those who wander are lost

John Titor was right <--- :ohdear: Way past the point of going gray man. See you on the other side ( or not :wink: )

Zembecowicz
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (original)

Post by Zembecowicz » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Personally I'm planning on making sure I'm stocked up on food, booze, coffee, and toilet paper and going not much of anywhere that weekend. I'm not quite in the path of totality, but I'm awfully close to it and the main highway to Eastern Oregon is the only road to much of anywhere from my house.

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:26 pm

flybynight wrote:You need to infiltrate the high ground, cause a diversion over here... cut holes in the wire here, fire on all the machine gun positions. Then your B-Group comes across the area in a flanking maneuver... and when you reach the bunker, you lay down grazing fire on the defilade. I think that's pretty simple. Got any questions so far? :ooh:

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.
Sumdood wrote:Welcome to 2020. I would list all the rules here, but there are too many and most of them are made up as we go. Just be prepared to be punished for something.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

drop bear

Post by drop bear » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:37 am

Drive 56 miles in less than 8 hours. Have I missed something?

Anyway spare cash is always good.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:43 am

RickOShea wrote:
flybynight wrote:You need to infiltrate the high ground, cause a diversion over here... cut holes in the wire here, fire on all the machine gun positions. Then your B-Group comes across the area in a flanking maneuver... and when you reach the bunker, you lay down grazing fire on the defilade. I think that's pretty simple. Got any questions so far? :ooh:

What's a defilade?
Grazing fire?
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:17 am

I still remember seeing my first total eclipse as a child. It was amazing.

Then the partial eclipse in NOLA in the 80's was equally amazing to me.

If you never seen an eclipse in person it is worth the hassles, within reason of course.

Treat this like any other large scale event. Like Mardi Gras for instance. Arrive early, enjoy the event and be patient allow 4x the regular amount of travel time.

BTW everyone tries to beat the traffic. You either have to miss half the event or get stuck. Enjoy the full event, chill until the traffic has dissipated.
Last edited by raptor on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dogan
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Dogan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:59 pm

T MINUS 25 DAYS 16 HOURS
raptor wrote:BTW everyone tries to beat the traffic. You either have 5o miss half the event or get stuck. Enjoy the full event, chill until the traffic has disipated.
I've seen a partial from Hawaii long ago. Ever since then I've wanted to see a full.

I'm planning on it taking forever, but I figure midnight/early morning on Saturday will be a good lull that won't require sleeping in a parking lot, and that 8 hours+ will be enough time during said lull to go 56 miles If not my check in window is open until 2300 that night.
goofygurl wrote:Dogan – In charge of all things fucked up
Are you ready to die, John Walker?| CLAPTRAP!
Your lucky number has been disconnected.|ASCII biohazard symbol: ☣
Winner of the May/June 2013 ZS Postal Match

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”