Lithuania publishes a "What to do if Russia Invades" manual

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Close_enough

Lithuania publishes a "What to do if Russia Invades" manual

Post by Close_enough » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Lithuania has issued a citizen manual for their own "Red Dawn" incident. From what I can gather from the web, it's a considerably less optimistic update of their previous emergency manual issued late last year. The manual is available online for anybody who can read Lithuanian.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/28/europe/li ... index.html
the Lithuanian government has Friday issued a 75-page guide on what to do if the country is invaded, entitled "Prepare to survive emergencies and war."
which details how Lithuanians should spy and inform on the enemy if Russia succeeds in occupying part of the country.

There are also detailed images of Russian-made tanks, grenades, mines and guns and instructions on how to recognize different types. Further instructions cover first aid and surviving in the wild.

There will be 30,000 copies available in schools and libraries and it will also be published online.
Most of the news sites are plagiarizing the CNN article, but the Dailymail seems to have some more original content.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ndoms.html

quazi

Re: Lithuania publishes a "What to do if Russia Invades" man

Post by quazi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:22 pm

"This country does not hesitate to use a military force against its neighbors,..."
When I first read that I misinterpreted it as what the Lithuanians were saying about themselves. :shock: :lol:

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:27 pm

Does anybody have a link to the english version?

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Could not find one. Here is link to the original one from a Lithuianan news agency:

http://alkas.lt/2016/10/28/krasto-apsau ... va-atimti/
October 28. public disclosure of the Ministry of Defence issued a third publication of civic resistance subjects after 2014. Russia launched aggression against Ukraine - "What do we know about the resistance of active guidelines for action."

"The publication of useful knowledge and peacetime life, get lost in the woods or out in another emergency. This is a great aid in the Lithuanian people to be prepared to help defend their country and show a potential aggressor that neither one foot in our land will not be easy to take away, "- he said in presenting the third civil resistance related publications Defence Minister Juozas Olekas.

The first two publications on this topic have been for non-violent defense topic and practical guidance and advice on the action in emergencies or in time of war.

The new publication "What do we know about the resistance of active guidelines for action" emphasized in previous publications not covered very important topic - active citizens who find themselves the aggressors in the occupied territory of the resistance.

Booklet Defence Ministry presented J.Olekas together with publications executive editor of National Defence, Ministry of International Relations and Operations Department director Dr. Karol Alex and one of the organizers of the Lithuanian Army Strategic Communication Department of Information Operations Chief Major Linas Idzelis.

More about publications here.

Download publication - 2016 active-action-guidance-internetui_

http://alkas.lt/wp-content/uploads/2016 ... netui_.pdf
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:59 pm

I never thought I would say this about a government pamphlet....Boy I really want to read this:

http://alkas.lt/wp-content/uploads/2016 ... netui_.pdf

This shows the limitation of google translates:

The translation of page 32
Governing and nevaldomosios rockets are massive ammunition,
moving jet movement. Depending on the rocket
caliber exploding rocket fragments dissipation length can reach
up to 2000 meters.

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:36 pm

Here's to hoping an English version surfaces - I'm incredibly curious as well, especially given the update to something that is less than a year old.
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:39 pm

*I'm sorry, but doesn't this run afoul of the ZS "no politics" rule?
After all, it's by it's very nature political.

Or does the rule only apply when it's against western aligned issues?
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

00dlez
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by 00dlez » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:43 pm

LowKey wrote:*I'm sorry, but doesn't this run afoul of the ZS "no politics" rule?

It's a discussion thread about a government publication relating to preparedness and actions in response to a specific disaster... This subforum is for contingency planning and preparation...
Batman has a pretty good EDC. - Purple_Mutant

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:49 pm

Some snippets:
This publication, prepared in cooperation with the Lithuanian army and the Lithuanian Riflemen's Union, the first, introductory, in brief
Russia presents a potential aggressor, operating against neighboring countries ways. It presented arguments as to what potential
cial aggressor actions need to be prepared. Seeing
our common efforts of all the recent strengthening of Lithuania, I am
confident that we will be able to resist the aggression of the Russian non-military measures. However, we can not exclude that a potential aggressor, even in spite of NATO's military power, will not start any
kind of military action against our country. So we need to be ready
to defend the homeland. It is also a strong deterrent factor.
Under the situation, the aggressor occupies part of the country's territory
proactive guidance
In armed defense of the parties
General principles of choosing direct armed struggle
Under the situation, the aggressor occupies part of the territory of the country, citizens of the Republic of Lithuania, occupied themselves in must
to continue to follow our core provision of the Constitution of the country,
the Lithuanian defense - every citizen's right and duty. All war
draftees (both atlikusieji compulsory military service, so they perform nespėjusieji) should endeavor to join the defending Lithuania
Armed Forces unoccupied territory.
Citizens (draftees who do not have opportunities to escape from oku-
the feast of the territory, and the general population), the remaining occupied territory of the country
in it, but to fight with a weapon aggressor may do so, however,
they are recommended to follow a few principles. First, strive to keep in touch with Lithuania in defending the armed forces. Lithuania
protecting the country and its allies in the armed forces
it is important to be aware of the occupied territory of the existing armed con-
sipriešinimo fireplaces to prevent accidental attacks against them,
as well as to the possibility of the joint execution of the occupied Lithuania
the liberation of the territory of operation. Second, seek to fight pasipriešini-
ing unit containing: as can be much more harmful to the aggressor
disrupt his planned military actions or interfere with the effective
daily occupation administration. Thirdly, it is necessary to seek
to connect to a unit of military skills with Lithuania
citizens. Such citizens are very valuable because they should neįkainoja-
ing knowledge of how to organize the resistance unit activities (eg., get
and the use of different weapons, and to protect the unit, equipped with shelters,
apply different combat tactics)
Participation in armed combat techniques
Help resistance unit
Citizens who can not join the resistance fighters unit or want to help in other ways to defend the homeland, it can do the following:

collect information about the occupation army and the occupation
mode (eg., headquarters of the army of occupation, the occupation army commanding officers house, etc.);

identify collaborators and provide them information about resistance fighters;
stock equipped shelters and help to protect them. resistance from
tion units likely to be required at one stock shelters, to ensure greater safety of the fighters and the potential for more effective action to move the fight outside. These shelters citizens
It can store a variety of measures, which will be vital
ensuring the continuity of resistance units (medicines
non-perishable food, warm clothing, weaponry,
ammunition and so on.). For example, 1991. January events during Lithuania's defense devoted particular attention to stocking and
their positioning in different places;
proactive guidance

hide fighters and hidden care for wounded armed
resistance fighters. Resistance fighters always be threatened
high risk, so the support of citizens hiding and caring for them will be
invaluable. It should be borne in mind that there will always be a threat to the fighters to help the security of citizens (or life), thus providing
aid must be in accordance with the maximum care and confidentiality;

help maintain resistance units connections. Resistance fighters may not be safe to use modern communication
instruments, so they may need to courier. The couriers
is particularly at risk, so they should act as little as possible
different from the environment in general
Actions resistance unit containing
Citizens who do not speak and (or) are not able to fight with a weapon, as well as
Resistance can become members of the unit and help the unit of fighters:

provide first aid and to take care of complex medical organization injured resistance unit members. During the combat actions, first aid is invaluable, which can save a friend and an active participant in the armed resistance. For the citizen,
wishing to join the resistance unit, a good first
medical knowledge will be particularly important. such a national
it is recommended to take care of first aid and the necessary means (bandages, disinfectants) and find out how to organize a follow-up medical care
(Connect with trusted doctors to find out the possibilities
take advantage of existing occupational area hospitals);
proactive guidance

to provide food and water, as well as take care of the food
Resistance fighters manufacture. Water and hot food
at least once a day will be a major resistance unit,
It will certainly contribute to the morale support;
take care of the fighters hygiene, Vol. y. washing and drying their clothes, uniforms;
tamp the available weapons. Resistance unit members fighting with a weapon, probably too hard to be one
During caulk guns and machine guns (if the unit will be able to
to receive) and shoot. Exceptional skills caulk said arms
bullets do not, but the resistance per unit of such support is
be important, especially if he is preparing intensive firing or
susišaudo intensively with the aggressor troops.

Most of the rest of the material in manual is extensive survival tips drawn from various survival manuals noted on the last page.

It appears that the plan is for citizens to support military and militia forces as combat support and intelligence gatherers and remain open to recruitment to government backed units when needed.
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:58 pm

LowKey wrote:*I'm sorry, but doesn't this run afoul of the ZS "no politics" rule?

We are not discussing the politics, merely the plan.

I will note it is interesting to see that they believe that NATO will not protect them and therefore they need a Plan B. Lithuania has been a member for more than 12 years.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:18 pm

00dlez wrote:

It's a discussion thread about a government publication relating to preparedness and actions in response to a specific disaster... This subforum is for contingency planning and preparation...

This topic (discussion of the CD booklet) is no different than discussing a US or Russian Civil Defense booklet which is permissible and not political in nature.

Reservation of rights:
I do not speak Lithuanian and my inability to translate the booklet may result in my overlooking a political aspect of this topic. If that is the case then this topic will be closed.

If anyone who speaks the language sees this as political please PM me for further clarification.

Close_enough

Post by Close_enough » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:09 pm

raptor wrote: This topic (discussion of the CD booklet) is no different than discussing a US or Russian Civil Defense booklet which is permissible and not political in nature.
We (USA) have a civil defense booklet? I'd be curious to see a comparison between ours and Lithuania's.

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:41 pm

I glanced through it but even if you can't read the language they show pictures of the various common weapons used by Russian forces. A layman's highlighting of important parts of weapons, vehicles, etc and how to differentiate them from each other for civilian spotters. For instance what differences there are in tank classes and weak points such as fuel location, ir sensors, crew size, etc.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:44 pm

Close_enough wrote:
raptor wrote: This topic (discussion of the CD booklet) is no different than discussing a US or Russian Civil Defense booklet which is permissible and not political in nature.
We (USA) have a civil defense booklet? I'd be curious to see a comparison between ours and Lithuania's.
That would definitely be interesting, but I would guess anything the U.S. government published regarding foreign invasion would be fifty years old or probably even older.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:43 pm

Am I the only one old enough here to remember duck and cover drills?

The Civil Defense booklets are still available on line. They are dated but they cover a wide variety of subjects including improvised fallout shelters. I will see if I can find a link to a site that has them accessible.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:46 pm

Duck and cover yes, but not much addressing an invasion.

Civil Defense in the US has a long and storied history going back to "beating the drum" in case of "Indian attacks".

Through the Cold War.

During the Cold War It was more of a:

1. Dig hole
2. When bombs drop get in hole and hide
3. Wait for help
That would definitely be interesting, but I would guess anything the U.S. government published regarding foreign invasion would be fifty years old or probably even older.
Older than 50. It definitely did not make the last cut (2005):

https://emilms.fema.gov/IS800B/lesson5/NRF0105060t.htm

http://cees.tamiu.edu/covertheborder/TO ... ingSen.pdf

The US has not faced serious threat of invasion by a military force of any substance since 1817 unless you count the Beatles. The Japanese came the closest during WWII.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleutian_Islands_Campaign
You go over and under
I go through

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:57 pm

The US has not faced serious threat of invasion by a military force of any substance since 1817 unless you count the Beatles.
The US Army announced recently they want to upgrade the ATACMS weapon system to be used as a ground launched antiship missile. That would let any of the hundreds of MLRS launchers in the US inventory act as it's own coastal artillery battery. The range on ATACMS is in the realm of 200 miles. That is defending a LOT closer to the coast then we have planned in the past.

http://breakingdefense.com/2016/10/army ... ef-carter/

I can think of one very important step a country facing an invasion could take. That would be destroying any and all firearms registration information, LEO training academy rosters, .mil retirement info, etc so the invading force will not have a ready made list of those with guns and/or the training to use them.

In the USA this would mean being able to wipe out 4473's stored at gun shops, destroy student records, destroy city/county/state LEO certification and employment info, destroy active duty and national guard personnel records, patient records at VA clinics, etc. It would be a massive task.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:31 pm

The US Army announced recently they want to upgrade the ATACMS weapon system to be used as a ground launched antiship missile. That would let any of the hundreds of MLRS launchers in the US inventory act as it's own coastal artillery battery. The range on ATACMS is in the realm of 200 miles. That is defending a LOT closer to the coast then we have planned in the past.
This has nothing to do with domestic defense.

I can think of one very important step a country facing an invasion could take. That would be destroying any and all firearms registration information, LEO training academy rosters, .mil retirement info, etc so the invading force will not have a ready made list of those with guns and/or the training to use them.

In the USA this would mean being able to wipe out 4473's stored at gun shops, destroy student records, destroy city/county/state LEO certification and employment info, destroy active duty and national guard personnel records, patient records at VA clinics, etc. It would be a massive task.
All that stuff can be found on line. The Chinese have already stolen all the information they need about all the personnel in the US military, this happened a couple of years ago. Why bother with paper copies?

4473's and don't really matter either. Any invader is going to assume everyone is armed.
You go over and under
I go through

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:43 pm

Just get a Facebook or Google dump, parse the data and viola you have a complete index of everyone.

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:40 am

Stercutus wrote:

4473's and don't really matter either. Any invader is going to assume everyone is armed.

Assuming everyone is armed is a lot different then having a list of what weapons people have to check off as they are confiscated.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:11 am

Aikibiker wrote:
Stercutus wrote:

Assuming everyone is armed is a lot different then having a list of what weapons people have to check off as they are confiscated.
A road flare dropped into a filing cabinet by the FFL as he GTFOOD should solve that problem nicely.
Not like an invader is going to be nice to any FFLs.....
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

mzmc
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Started out with Resident Evil, but I got better.

Post by mzmc » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:02 am

For people interested in publications of this kind, here's one which is potentially easier to find in English:

Major Hans von Dach, Swiss Armed Forces
Total Resistance: A Guerrilla Warfare Manual for Everyone

A quite interesting piece of cold war history, in that it never mentions the Soviet Union as an enemy, nor NATO as an ally, what with the Swiss concept of total neutrality. Yet, it is quite clear who the Swiss thought the enemy would be.
May contain traces of derp.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:15 am

I have read that book. It is quite a good reference. It suggests various ways professions can passively resist and subvert the occupying power. That is how he refers to the enemy. He is also vert clear they will liquidate everyone they consider an enemy. ..which is why he lists professions and what they can do.

mzmc
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Started out with Resident Evil, but I got better.

Post by mzmc » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:46 am

He also suggest what TVTropes calls Bothering by the Book. Which is basically Work to Rule in administration.
That is, do not draw the wrath of the occupation force, instead, make sure to gridlock their bureaucracy by following all their rules and regulations to the letter. Request clarification and double confirmation for everything, do not process any forms with spelling errors, absolutely insist that everything is done by the book, never use any shortcuts, make sure to be the most anal rule-obsessed square you can be.

French and Polish public servants did this to he Nazis at times. It's pretty effective.

Now I really want a copy of the Lithuanian manual in a language I can understand. I have to find out if they suggest simmilar things... :mrgreen:
May contain traces of derp.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”