Aqua-tainer Review?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

designerchick

Aqua-tainer Review?

Post by designerchick » Mon May 30, 2016 9:26 pm

I've searched but I'm not finding anything. Has anyone posted a review of the Aqua-tainer containers? I believe they're 7 gallons. I had seen a couple of comments on Amazon that there were leaking issues, but it wasn't a super-common complaint. I know you guys actually use your stuff so I'm hoping someone can let me know their thoughts. Our house is pretty small, and we've been buying the Ozark round jugs that stack to store in the kitchen. They're great, but I'm wanting to invest a little at a time in something that doesn't need to be rotated as often. Given their size and their stackability, I think the Aqua-tainers would be good for the corner of our walk-in closet but I don't want them ruining everything else in the closet if they leak obviously :shock: With hurricane season starting up I'm wanting to go ahead and get a few more things that are on my list. We rarely get serious damage from a storm in this part of the state, but we have had a few power outages that lasted up to 5 days or so, and we don't want to use the city water when that happens.

Thanks!

norcalprep

Re: Aqua-tainer Review?

Post by norcalprep » Mon May 30, 2016 9:49 pm

I have 4 that I have had for about 6 years now, no leaks. I've rotated the water in them a few times, and used one once during camping. They work okay, but to be on the safe side I have 4 other water containers from a different brand just so I dont have all of my eggs in one basket. I have never stacked them, however, and believe that stacking is what causes the reported leaks. Also, I would still suggest to rotate your water.

SCBrian

Post by SCBrian » Mon May 30, 2016 9:49 pm

designerchick wrote:I've searched but I'm not finding anything. Has anyone posted a review of the Aqua-tainer containers? I believe they're 7 gallons. I had seen a couple of comments on Amazon that there were leaking issues, but it wasn't a super-common complaint. I know you guys actually use your stuff so I'm hoping someone can let me know their thoughts. Our house is pretty small, and we've been buying the Ozark round jugs that stack to store in the kitchen. They're great, but I'm wanting to invest a little at a time in something that doesn't need to be rotated as often. Given their size and their stackability, I think the Aqua-tainers would be good for the corner of our walk-in closet but I don't want them ruining everything else in the closet if they leak obviously :shock: With hurricane season starting up I'm wanting to go ahead and get a few more things that are on my list. We rarely get serious damage from a storm in this part of the state, but we have had a few power outages that lasted up to 5 days or so, and we don't want to use the city water when that happens.

Thanks!
I have about 6 of these for the scout troop. Some work perfect, some tend to leak. the leaks are at either the spout or the gasket in between the container and the white spout unit thingy. I've only seen 1 leak in the seam, and I'm pretty sure it was handled pretty rough. We've replaced the gasket before and it's fixed that issue, but we've never stopped leaks from the spout. We just make sure to turn those facing up when not pouring. Like the whole container, not just the spout.
I tilt at Windmills
BattleVersion wrote:For my Family?...Burn down the world, sure... But, I'm also willing to carry it on my shoulders.
raptor wrote:...I am allergic to bullets;I break out in blood.
jnathan wrote:... you can choke on my Hebrew National.

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Mon May 30, 2016 10:34 pm

Awesome, thank you! How often do you recommend rotating the water? Should I treat municipal water before storing it?

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Mon May 30, 2016 11:26 pm

Dang I just realized these are NOT stackable when they're filled.

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Mon May 30, 2016 11:38 pm

ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Tue May 31, 2016 12:47 am

Chicago Zombie wrote:These are stackable: https://www.thereadystore.com/5-gallon- ... -stackable
Oooh thank you!

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Tue May 31, 2016 8:26 am

designerchick wrote:Awesome, thank you! How often do you recommend rotating the water? Should I treat municipal water before storing it?
Some would argue that rotating isn't necessary because water is just water, but I like the rotating process because it forces me to regularly check that there isn't a leak, that some contaminant didn't get in, and it just makes sure the water is fresh during an emergency. My thought is that I don't want to add to my worries when I already have the emergency to worry about. Since I'm not stressed now, I'll take care of it now.

Also, municipal water is treated, so you don't need to do anything.

norcalprep

Post by norcalprep » Tue May 31, 2016 11:42 am

Huh, just realized I never did answer your first question (sorry!). I think the general rule of thumb many use is to rotate once or twice a year.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Tue May 31, 2016 12:20 pm

designerchick wrote:I've searched but I'm not finding anything. Has anyone posted a review of the Aqua-tainer containers? I believe they're 7 gallons. I had seen a couple of comments on Amazon that there were leaking issues, but it wasn't a super-common complaint. I know you guys actually use your stuff so I'm hoping someone can let me know their thoughts. Our house is pretty small, and we've been buying the Ozark round jugs that stack to store in the kitchen. They're great, but I'm wanting to invest a little at a time in something that doesn't need to be rotated as often. Given their size and their stackability, I think the Aqua-tainers would be good for the corner of our walk-in closet but I don't want them ruining everything else in the closet if they leak obviously :shock: With hurricane season starting up I'm wanting to go ahead and get a few more things that are on my list. We rarely get serious damage from a storm in this part of the state, but we have had a few power outages that lasted up to 5 days or so, and we don't want to use the city water when that happens.

Thanks!

If you are willing to pay for the aquatainers then go for something way tougher and stackable

http://www.buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx ... mID=906396

My adventures and pictures are on my blog http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com

Braticus Caticus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Golden Girls...
What? Bea Arthur was alive?
Who knew?

Post by Braticus Caticus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:10 am

I have 4 that I have used for about 6-8 years.
I rotate water every year.
I have never had a problem with this product.
I also keep 48- 2 liter soda bottles stacked and filled with water.
Never had a problem there either.
These items store in a closet and work well for my apartment.
Cadavera animata edunt cerebra et dicunt lente "Ceeerrreeebbbrrraaa."

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:58 am

teotwaki wrote:

Thanks!

If you are willing to pay for the aquatainers then go for something way tougher and stackable

http://www.buylci.com/ItemDisplayF.aspx ... mID=906396

second this.
Huge step up in durability and quality. both of mine still leak a tiny amount (slow drip, mostly from the vent) but only if stored sideways. Both of my aquatainers split around the cap after little to no use.
Also the MWCs will fit in a whole host of carriers and accessories designed around MFC/jerry cans.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:49 am

On the LCI brand that small vent cap can weep water in two ways.

One is the little plastic dowel that holds the cap on. The ends of the dowel may need to be sealed by melting the plastic with a hot iron.

Some people have said that the threads of the vent cap weeped a little. The solution is to add a small O-ring to seal when the cap is tightened down.

The larger main cap relies on plastic to plastic mating of a V shaped groove on the lid and the lip on the can. Make sure to keep those areas free of grit or damage.

uncleben03

Post by uncleben03 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:36 pm

SCBrian wrote:
I have about 6 of these for the scout troop. Some work perfect, some tend to leak. the leaks are at either the spout or the gasket in between the container and the white spout unit thingy. I've only seen 1 leak in the seam, and I'm pretty sure it was handled pretty rough. We've replaced the gasket before and it's fixed that issue, but we've never stopped leaks from the spout. We just make sure to turn those facing up when not pouring. Like the whole container, not just the spout.

I've had the same experience. I have 6 as well, 2 of them leak from around where the nozzle/cap screws onto the container. I've found that the longer they sit "nozzle down" (like you're going to use the dispenser valve), the higher likelyhood they will leak. I just started putting them handle-up whenever we're not actively using pour valve. Also, like Brian, the ones that have leaked have ridden in the back of my Jeep probably longer than they should have up in the mountains getting banged around. They are fantastic for static storage and also good for moderate use as long as you're decently nice to them.

I've never had the actual valve leak on any of them.
BobtheBreaker wrote:Paramedics must have been pissed! trying to lift that guy onto the gurney with his massive brass stones weighing everything down.
Heks wrote:engagement ring.... is that a MOLLE accessory?

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:35 pm

Personally, I'm a big fan of Water Brick. They are very stackable, designed to be able to be hauled on a pole, and only hold three gallons each which makes them far easier to carry than five gallons at a time. I keep one in my bathroom and use it as a "squatty" stool (a squat position opens the colon properly when pooping). Their low profile makes it easy hide them under beds or stacked under covered tables. If you need room in a vehicle, you can lash these on. On top of all of that, your purchase supports an organization trying to get these conveniently portable water containers to women in third world countries that have to haul water for long distances.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:24 pm

I am not really a prepper but do try to keep at least a week's worth of water. I use a coleman 5 gallon water container. It cost 13.00 and the spigot is on the top and it has a handle. You pour a cap of bleach in then fill with water and its good for 6-12 months depending on where you store it and the climate you live in. After that wash it out and do it again. I live in the South and have had no problems with it. I can't say how it would do in the northern states.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:55 pm

Anianna wrote:Personally, I'm a big fan of Water Brick. They are very stackable, designed to be able to be hauled on a pole, and only hold three gallons each which makes them far easier to carry than five gallons at a time. I keep one in my bathroom and use it as a "squatty" stool (a squat position opens the colon properly when pooping). Their low profile makes it easy hide them under beds or stacked under covered tables. If you need room in a vehicle, you can lash these on. On top of all of that, your purchase supports an organization trying to get these conveniently portable water containers to women in third world countries that have to haul water for long distances.
I've seen those and I really love the idea, but they're definitely more cost-prohibitive. I'll have so set up some pricewatches on them and snag them if they go on sale.

azrancher

Post by azrancher » Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:13 pm

The Twizzler wrote:You pour a cap of bleach in then fill with water and its good for 6-12 months depending on where you store it and the climate you live in.
Of course you are joking a cup(never mind, re-read the cap) of bleach in a 5 gallon container of water... your whites will be whiter for sure.

Rancher

LeeG

Post by LeeG » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:44 pm

I have 8 of them. I use them to fill 1 gallon jugs that we use for our drinking water, so they get rotated about every 2 months. Over the past 8 years, I have had one spring a leak (I dropped it on a corner). I have replaced 3 or 4 spouts. Been very happy with them.
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Lazarus Long

Preparing is the opposite of wishing.

libarata
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-Nation. The Walking Dead

Post by libarata » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:25 pm

I handled some at a local farm store. They seemed okay, but upon further research, I found that most of the reliance stuff cannot be stacked more than two high. I have also heard about a lot of complaints about their gaskets. I use Water Bricks, of which I only have two, but just ordered two more, and have used my for camping two years staright. They are strong enough for me(200lbs) to stand on when full, and stacked on each other, and make great little seats too. They stack like legos up to four feet high(eight units), and are ordered in pairs.
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... dkeghc.jpg
http://i1268.photobucket.com/albums/jj5 ... xg8w6e.jpg

I think those two links will take you to the pictures I took today at inventory. My pictures are too large it seems.

teotwaki
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by teotwaki » Fri Jul 22, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks for linking to the pictures!

zero11010

Post by zero11010 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:22 pm

A lot of this will mirror what has already been said.

I own a couple of these (and have for a couple years now). I like them and I trust them. They're not stackable when full. They stack when empty just fine. With water in them, the weight will start to deform the lower containers when stacked.

The period of time that water is safe to drink is a tricky thing. It's impacted by a lot of different factors. A key thing to remember is that the taste and scent of the water is absolutely not a guarantee that the contents are totally fine, because not everything that can make you sick is something with a flavor or scent you can easily pick up. The general rule is if you haven't treated your municipal water it's good for 0.5-2 years. At that point you'll want to treat it or filter it.

There was a thread in 2014 where I broke down a bunch of a different types of containers in terms of volume, water weight, cost (at the time) and cost per gallon (at the time). It includes most of the suggestions made in this thread, too.
viewtopic.php?f=100&t=113238

Patient Zer0
Favorite Zombie Movies: 90 remake of NOTLD, Shaun of the Dead, Dead and Breakfast, Dance of the Dead

Post by Patient Zer0 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:04 pm

When I was driving OTR, I used one of these for my drinking/dishes water. I had no major problems other than I over tightened the spout and cracked the plastic. Not a design fault though, just operator error.
bonanacrom wrote:I'd never throw others out of my way to save myself over them but anyone in my way with speeches about rules and regulations is going to get punched in the throat.
TIOCFAIDH AR LA

designerchick

Post by designerchick » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Water Bricks are just over $14 on Amazon right now:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VJ ... s_bw_c_x_1

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”