How to Protect Yourself From Violent Crime

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Stercutus

How to Protect Yourself From Violent Crime

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:01 pm

We spend a lot of time discussing self defense issues here at ZS but seldom do the deeper dive into the realities behind the causes of violent crime. This will be an attempt to address at least a few of the causes and some ways which can help predict behaviors in people that are likely to become violent aggressors and make you a victim.

In the United States, and most other places that are not Nation State driven combat zones, the overwhelming majority of all crime (violent and otherwise) evolves around the use, sale, distribution, manufacture, delivery, theft and storage of drugs used for recreational purposes. This includes Americas favorite drug (alcohol) and all other mind and behavior altering drugs as well.

This isn't to say that everyone who does drugs is a violent criminal, far from it. If that were true the level of violence in the US would be several factorials above where it is currently. However, the US is the largest consumer of recreational drugs in the industrialized world and also has the highest crime rate. While all drug addicts (or casual users) are not criminals; practically all criminals are drug addicts. This includes white collar criminals, shoplifters and pedophiles.

The link by any measure is indisputable and the evidence so overwhelming that for the purpose of this posting I will simply say it is so and that if anyone wishes to dispute this basis I will be more than happy to present enough evidence that it will take months to read through it all. I know this concept does not fit well within certain political ideologies but that isn't really relevant.

The vast majority of the time people who rob, rape, murder and otherwise assault people do so to victims that they know, often know well and often related through blood, past or current marriage or sexual relationship. This goes for theft as well; however people who steal are just as likely to steal from a business or people that they do not know as the opportunity presents itself.

If you know no one (or very few people) that use or abuse drugs your chances of being the victim of a crime plummet like a rock. Unfortunately your odds of not knowing anyone that abuses drugs is tiny. You simply may not be aware of the fact that they are doing so. Even when you know no one who is involved with drugs you can still become an unintentional victim as part of circumstance or you may appear to have something that the drug abuser wants and he/ she has decided that violence is the best way to acquire it. This is more rare if you limit or have not contact with people with drug problems.

To avoid becoming a victim the best course of action to follow when you are aware someone has a drug problem is to cut all ties with that person immediately. If you are related or in a relationship move, change your phone number, disconnect from social media etc. whatever it takes. This is a difficult course of action to follow from a practical and emotional standpoint for most people. Still it is the absolute best way from strictly a safety and security standpoint. This will do nothing to help the other person and they will most likely go in to a greater and faster downward spiral.

Most of the time people with drug problems are completely powerless to their addiction. Whether they say they want or need help to battle their addiction is irrelevant by and large. Recidivism and relapse rates are astonishingly bad for those who do seek treatment for their problems. Trying to help such people is mostly an exercise in frustration since they will always be more interested in drugs then whatever it is that you may want for them. Oftentimes drug abuse is multi-generational and the behavior patterns that the person is following is well learned and ingrained. They will do or say anything to get more drugs, which is where the crime comes from.

By cutting all ties and making every effort to remove the drug abuser from your life you change proximity and access. They may still target you but the odds drop and continue to drop the longer you are away from them. There are no guarantees but there are odds.

The next post will look at common violent crimes and how to play the percentages to improve your odds of being safe.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Stercutus

Re: How to Protect Yourself From Violent Crime

Post by Stercutus » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:06 pm

Assault is the most common violent crime in the US and there are multiple classes of assault that vary depending upon your state. The most common type of assault is domestic assault (by blood, marriage, or sexual relationship), the most common offender is a man, the most common weapons are hands and feet, the most common injuries are minor. Don't assume that if you are a lesbian with no living male family members you are safe. Half of all lesbians report a domestic assault in their lifetime. Similar numbers are reported for gay men.

Seldom is it that police are called to a domestic disturbance where both parties are sober. If they are sober one is often accusing the other of stealing or hiding their favorite intoxicant or money to purchase the same. How often do the police get called to domestic incidents where both parties are adults, sober and don't use drugs at all? I don't know because I've never seen it happen. It isn't really fair to say never because I am sure it has happened but the odds... we are playing the odds here.

If you are assaulted in a domestic situation the odds of you being assaulted a second time, often more severely are near 100% if you remain in the relationship. It really doesn't matter what the offender says or does or assurances that he/she provides will be; it will simply happen. These things tend to get progressive the longer the relationship goes on.

Leaving the relationship will not ensure your safety either. In fact you are much likely to be murdered by your old partner in the couple of months after you end the relationship than at any other time. Moving, changing your job and social contacts will help, really it should be required for personal safety. Time is a big discriminator. The longer you remain out of contact with an assailant the less likely you are to be assaulted. Once you are with an abuser count on a life time of harassment.

Protection orders are helpful. Violations may subject an offender to immediate arrest. This is a strong deterrent for an offender. It won't prevent an assault but it will help. Often times the victim will reconcile, get rid of the PO and then be assaulted again.

Another common form of assault involve disputes over drugs and drug money between non-domestic partners. This is the second most common form of assault IME but much harder to track. Most people when asked the nature of the dispute will either not answer or lie to the police. This does not mean that police don't know what the dispute is about.

After that there are a number of causes. A common one is to assault a sexual rival. Again in the vast majority of cases one or more of the parties is intoxicated. Often times people who are intoxicated will fight for no apparent reason at all.

How often do police get called to an assault where both parties are adults and sober? It happens but it is pretty rare. Road rage seems to be one that pops up from time to time. If you avoid aggressive driving and don't get caught up in someones rage this can be avoided. Never try to confront an angry, aggressive driver. If someone is trying to confront you, call the police if you have a phone or drive to a police station if you don't. If someone you are riding with becomes an aggressor get out of the vehicle and run away at the first safe opportunity. Getting involved in anther's madness will not do you any favors. Road Rage incidents often involve weapons. Hasty weapons such as tire irons, bats and such being common. Guns are rare but these also come up from time to time.

Disputes over money not involving drug happen culminate in assault sometimes. Most sober people choose to resolve these things in the civil courts.
You go over and under
I go through

The Twizzler
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Return of the Living Dead

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:27 pm

I am pretty sure we don't have the highest crime rate. Rate implies percentage. You should remember we have the 3rd largest population on the planet. We do have a very high incarceration rate which is not the same thing. Whether it's because other countries find less perpetrators on average( because of less resources or corruption) or because some countries tolerance for verdicts that don't involve prison is higher. An example is Singapore for a lot of crimes you can choose jail or the cane. Saudi Arabia doesn't have a lot of people in jail but their forced alternatives are usually a lot worse and messy.
"Oh Bother!" said Pooh, as he drew his dagger...

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:34 pm

When I was in Italy I was shocked to see the amount of crime there but the Policeia didn't seem to care unless you killed somebody. They don't even bother arresting Roma accused of crimes because it wouldn't change anything and it would be a bother.

I did like Italy, but it was a shock.
That said if you are walking down the streets of Rome and see 4 police beating the crap out a some guy.... just turn around and walk the other way.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:33 am

I am pretty sure we don't have the highest crime rate. Rate implies percentage.
In the industrialized world the US is #3 in sexual assaults (very recently displaced by Sweden and South Africa), US was #1 five years ago. The US is #5 in murder behind Russia, Mexico, South Africa and Brazil. If you add PR and the VI back in to the US numbers the rate jumps up a bit.

I am uncertain how "industrialized" South Africa, Mexico and Brazil really are. Certainly their levels of poverty are many times greater than that of the US. They are in the G20 so I throw them into the mix.

In assaults the US beats out all other industrialized nations other than South Africa.

ETA-
So I guess South Africa is the leader among industrialized nations, if you consider it industrialized. But the US is a close second.

Again these are reported crime rates. Since crime is under reported in every country (including the US) it is difficult to determine the true rate.

The big problem with statistics for the US is that they tend to hide the fact that the pool of victims in the US for most violent crime is fairly small. For example blacks make up about half of the murder victims in the US but only 13% of the population. They have similar high numbers of other crimes as well. Once you adjust for poverty levels the pool really shrinks.
You go over and under
I go through

Beowolf
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, Aaaaaa Zombies, 28 Days Later

Post by Beowolf » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:39 am

Stercutus, I respect what you're trying to do. But decades of criminological, legal, and sociological scholarship do not support your assertions regarding addiction, crime, or the effectiveness of cutting ties.

Right now what you've presented is a classic scare tactic, an overgeneralization, and an unsupported claim toward a solution.

If you want to present your argument as an example of what you believe and recommend, that's one thing. But placing your propositions as facts and then concluding from those will only further muddy the complexity of the reality of deviant behavior, its origins, and potential remedies.
The way is shut. It was made by those who are Dead. And the Dead keep it. Until the time comes. The way is shut.
-
Keeper of the ZS Fleet Number thread.
ZS Wiki

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 2:12 pm

Beowolf wrote: Right now what you've presented is a classic scare tactic, an overgeneralization, and an unsupported claim toward a solution.

If you want to present your argument as an example of what you believe and recommend, that's one thing. But placing your propositions as facts and then concluding from those will only further muddy the complexity of the reality of deviant behavior, its origins, and potential remedies.
I have not provided any "solutions". There are NO solutions. This should be readily apparent. I am only recommending a course of action that will improve your odds of not being assaulted.
But decades of criminological, legal, and sociological scholarship do not support your assertions regarding addiction, crime, or the effectiveness of cutting ties.
I'd like to see some data that supports that. But until then here is some data that disagree. Practically all crime is drug related. I don't understand how anyone could possibly contest that given the huge volume of research on the subject, so please show me.

Also I am not sure what you mean by cutting ties does not put you greater risk of being assaulted or murdered; (if that is what you meant?). Because it certainly will. Your odds of being murdered increase 70 fold immediately after a breakup with an abuser.

I don't need to scare anyone. The facts are scary enough.
In the 2004 Survey of Inmates in State and Federal Correctional Facilities, 32% of state prisoners and 26% of federal prisoners said they had committed their current offense while under the influence of drugs. Among state prisoners, drug offenders (44%) and property offenders (39%) reported the highest incidence of drug use at the time of the offense. Among federal prisoners, drug offenders (32%) and violent offenders (24%) were the most likely to report drug use at the time of their crimes.

Source: BJS, Drug Use and Dependence, State and Federal Prisoners, 2004, NCJ 213530, October 2006.

About 74% of state prisoners who had a mental health problem and 56% of those without were dependent on or abused alcohol or drugs. By specific type of substance, inmates who had a mental health problem had higher rates of dependence or abuse of drugs than alcohol. Among state prisoners who had a mental health problem, 62% were dependent on or abused drugs and 51% alcohol.
Over a third (37%) of state prisoners who had a mental health problem said they had used drugs at the time of the offense, compared to over a quarter (26%) of state prisoners without a mental problem.

Source: BJS, Mental Health Problems of Prison and Jail Inmates, NCJ 213600, September 2006.

Abused state inmates were more likely than those reporting no abuse to have been using illegal drugs at the time of their offense. This pattern occurred especially among female inmates. Forty-six percent of the abused women committed their current offense under the influence of illegal drugs. Among women who were not abused, 32% committed their offense while on drugs.

Source: BJS, Prior Abuse Reported by Inmates and Probationers, NCJ 172879, April 1999.

A third of the parents in state prison reported committing their current offense while under the influence of drugs. Parents were most likely to report the influence of cocaine-based drugs (16%) and marijuana (15%) while committing their crime. About equal percentages of parents in state prison reported the use of opiates (6%) and stimulates (5%) at the time of their offense, while 2% used depressants or hallucinogens.

Thirty-two percent of mothers in state prison reported committing their crime to get drugs or money for drugs, compared to 19% of fathers.

Source: BJS, Incarcerated Parents and Their Children, NCJ 182335, August 2000.

Jail inmates

Of inmates held in jail, only convicted offenders were asked if they had used drugs at the time of the offense. In 2002, 29% of convicted inmates reported they had used illegal drugs at the time of the offense, down from 35% in 1996.

Marijuana and cocaine or crack were the most common drugs convicted inmates said they had used at the time of the offense --

14% had used marijuana in 2002, down from 18% in 1996.
11% had used cocaine or crack, down from 14% in 1996.

In 2002, jail inmates convicted of robbery (56%), weapons violations (56%), burglary (55%), or motor vehicle theft (55%) were most likely to have reported to be using drugs at the time of the offense.

Source: BJS, Substance Dependence, Abuse, and Treatment of Jail Inmates, 2002, NCJ 209588, July 2005.

According to the Survey of Inmates in Local Jails, 1996, more than half of the jail inmates with an intimate victim had been drinking or using drugs when they committed the violent crime.

Source: BJS, Violence by Intimates, NCJ 167237, March 1998.

Seventy-six percent of jail inmates who had a mental health problem were dependent on or abused alcohol or drugs, compared to 53% of inmates without a mental health problem. This was the highest rate of substance dependence or abuse among all inmates, including state and federal prisoners.
By specific type of substance, jail inmates who had a mental health problem had higher rates of dependence or abuse of drugs than alcohol. An estimated 63% of local jail inmates who had a mental health problem were dependent on or abused drugs, while about 53% were dependent on or abused alcohol. Over a third (34%) of local jail inmates who had a mental health problem said they had used drugs at the time of the offense, compared to a fifth (20%) of jail inmates without a mental problem.

Source: BJS, Mental Health Problems of Prison and Jail Inmates, NCJ 213600, September 2006.

Based on data from the 1996 Survey of Inmates in Local Jails, 29% of veterans and 32% of nonveterans in local jails were under the influence of drugs at the time of offense.

Source: BJS, Veterans in Prison or Jail, NCJ 178888, January 2000.

https://ncadd.org/about-addiction/alcoh ... -and-crime
Our nation’s prison population has exploded beyond capacity and most inmates are in prison, in large part, because of substance abuse:

80% of offenders abuse drugs or alcohol.
Nearly 50% of jail and prison inmates are clinically addicted.
Approximately 60% of individuals arrested for most types of crimes test positive for illegal drugs at arrest.
Next I will cover sexual assault. The link between sexual assault and drug use is completely incontestable by any measure known to man.
You go over and under
I go through

Thug Hunter

Post by Thug Hunter » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:32 pm

The biggest cause of victimhood I've seen is being in stupid places at stupid times to do stupid things with stupid people.
"Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted."--unknown
"Time spent on rehearsal is never wasted."--Thug Hunter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Sexual Assault is common in the United States. An astonishing 17-20% of women will be a victim of rape or attempted rape in their lifetime. Rape is seriously under reported as well, nearly 2/3 of assaults are not reported. Rape is an extremely violent crime likely to leave the victim with a lifetime of psychological injury long after any physical injuries have healed (80% reporting PTSD). A physical injury is likely to occur in 58% of all attacks. Less than 5% will become pregnant resulting in moral issues and potentially leaving the victim the responsibility of caring for an unwanted child for life.

So how common is rape? Well the odds of being kidnapped by a stranger are 1 in 610,000 for comparison. In other words a woman is 100,000 times more likely to be raped than kidnapped by stranger.

Practically all rapists are men (98%+), nearly all victims are female (91%). Most rapists (80%) know their victims, 33-40% will be a current or former sexual partner. Among female victims of partner violence who filed a protective order, 68% reported they were raped by their intimate partner. The vast majority of rapists are under the age of 50 with most being 16-35 where the attacker could be determined.

90% of the time there will be a single attacker. About ten percent of the time a weapon other than hands, feet and voice will be used. 1% of the time it will be a gun.

65% of all victims were; "Drunk, high, drugged or otherwise passed out and unable to consent". The majority are raped at their residence be it a home or dorm room. Practically all victims were under the age of 45, with 65% being 10-35.

https://richardfelson.files.wordpress.c ... inepdf.pdf

http://www.collegedrinkingprevention.go ... -abbey.pdf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... story.html

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/fvsv9410.pdf

On college campuses 75% of rapists were reporting drinking alcohol prior to the attack and 55% of victims.
If a man feels that he has been led on or teased by his date he may feel justified forcing sex when sober (McAuslan et al., 1998). However, research consistently indicates that alcohol increases the likelihood that individuals will behave aggressively, especially if they feel as if they have been threatened or harmed (see third box in Figure 1). Experimental studies demonstrate that intoxicated men retaliate strongly if they feel threatened or provoked (Taylor and Chermack, 1993). Furthermore, once they begin behaving aggressively, it is difficult to make intoxicated men stop unless nonviolent cues are extremely salient.

In the case of sexual assault, a man may feel his aggressiveness is justified if he believes his partner encouraged his sexual interest and that once led on a man has a right to sex. Intoxication limits one's ability to consider the long-term negative consequences of behavior because it limits one's focus to short-term immediate cues. Thus an intoxicated man is likely to focus on his sexual arousal and sense of entitlement rather than the potential pain and suffering of his victim or the possibility that he will be punished. An alcohol-induced sense of disinhibition and reduction in anxiety and self-appraisal makes it easier for men to use physical force to obtain sex (Ito et al., 1996).
And
The man's alcohol consumption enhances the likelihood that misperception will occur and will escalate to the point that he forces sex (see second box in Figure 1). Alcohol consumption disrupts higher order cognitive processes such as abstraction, conceptualization, planning and problem solving, making it difficult to evaluate complex stimuli (Hindmarch et al., 1991; Peterson et al., 1990). When intoxicated, people have a narrower perceptual field; they are less able to attend to multiple cues and instead tend to focus on the most salient cues (Chermack and Giancola, 1997). Steele and Josephs (1990) labeled this phenomenon "alcohol myopia." Thus, if an intoxicated man is sexually attracted to his female companion, it is easy for him to interpret any friendly cue as a sign of her desire to have sex with him and to ignore or discount any cue that suggests she is not.
Rape is a statistical anomalous crime in that your odds of being raped appear to increase if you attend college and live at the school. There is no other violent crime that correlates that way.

In 2010 the CDC stated:
Sometimes sex happens when a person is unable to consent to it or stop it from happening
because they were drunk, high, drugged, or passed out from alcohol, drugs, or medications. This
can include times when they voluntarily consumed alcohol or drugs or they were given drugs or
alcohol without their knowledge or consent. Please remember that even if someone uses alcohol
or drugs, what happens to them is not their fault
While the presumption of "fault" is an interesting concept, this perspective directly states that people have absolutely no responsibility for their outcomes of their personal behavior. Practically any behavior can be excused then if someone allows themselves to become intoxicated. By and large the courts do not agree with the CDC on that point.

In truth rape is no different than any other violent crime. If you flash a wad of cash in a seedy bar, drink booze until you can not stand up straight the odds of you being robbed on the way home escalate. You have foolishly helped your attacker set the conditions he needs to successfully complete his crime. It would be far more intelligent to not allow yourself to become helpless. This does not mean it is your "fault" you got robbed, the robber is responsible for his behavior; but you sure made it easy for any predator that came along.

The dynamics change a bit with children as the parents are responsible for protecting their children. Children can't be expected to do much of anything against a predator.

Some common tips:

- If you consume alcohol, do so in moderation. Know your personal limit of consumption. Any man that is providing you with free intoxicants is most likely only interested in gaining compliance for sex. Personally I say it is better not to consume any intoxicants, especially with people you do not know well.

- Do not leave your beverage unattended or accept a drink from an open container.
You never want to do that, especially in an environment where drugs may be readily available.

- When you are with someone, communicate clearly to ensure he or she knows your limits and/or expectations from the beginning. Both verbal and nonverbal (body language) communication can be used to ensure the message is understood.
If someone is pestering you, especially pestering you to consume intoxicants, throw a fit to make them leave you alone. Witnesses will really discourage a predator.

- Always have extra money to get home. Have a plan for someone you can call if you need help.

- If you feel uncomfortable, scared or pressured, say, "Stop it" or leave and call for help. Make sure people see and hear you.

- When you go to a party, go with a group of friends. Arrive together, watch out for each other and leave together. Set up checkpoints or code words to make it easy for you and your friends to stay connected and communicate clearly with each other.

- Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Especially of strangers hanging out places. If anyone makes you uncomfortable tell someone they make you uncomfortable and why. This includes family members and people you do know well.

- Do not allow yourself to be isolated with a person you do not know or trust. Along with that never go anywhere alone like the bathroom or somewhere else. Travel with a friend or in a group.

- Walk only in lighted areas after dark.

- Keep the doors and windows to homes, dorms, barracks and cars locked. Especially while sleeping

- Know where the phone is located. Keep it charged. Make sure it is set up to call 911 from the home screen. If you are assaulted call 911 from the home screen and leave the line open. Make as much noise as possible and give as much detail about what is happening as possible.

- When legal arm yourself. I don't recommend chemical sprays for females untrained in unarmed combat. The spray may well enrage an attacker and it may affect the defender as well. If the attacker is intoxicated the spray may be less effective as well. When employed aggressively a stun gun can be effective.

Moving on to deadly force... a knife is also a poor choice without sufficient training. With proper training it can be a great choice and it is legal in many more places than a gun. A gun works really well with training but often are not legal on college campuses and other places victims are most likely to be attacked.

It may be difficult to explain to the police why you shot or stabbed an unarmed attacker. Remember the predators are going to be clever and avoid making direct threats in most cases. If de-escalation is failing It may be better to force their hand or make them back down, but only if you are completely prepared to defend yourself.
You go over and under
I go through

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:07 pm

Why did tou compare all rape, which would include statutory, rape by family or known acquaintance, and date rape, to kidnapping by a stranger?

You seem to be cherry-picking stats and years that make for the scariest numbers.

For example: https://rainn.org/get-information/stati ... -offenders
Approximately 4/5 of rapes were committed by someone known to the victim.
82% of sexual assaults were perpetrated by a non-stranger.
47% of rapists are a friend or acquaintance.
25% are an intimate.
5% are a relative.
Their sources are listed as follows:

U.S. Department of Justice, National Crime Victimization Study: 2009-2013.
U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Statistics. 1997 Sex Offenses and Offenders Study. 1997.
U.S. Department of Justice, Bureau of Statistics. 1998 Alcohol and Crime Study. 1998.
2002 Recidivism of Prisoners Released in 1994 Study. 2002.

Your recommendations both blame victims and assume that strangers are out there prowling for people to rape. Your criminal expertise appears to be questionable, and you're doig a lot of moralizing. Maybe this isn't the best place for that.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 01, 2016 12:08 am

Did you even read my post?
You go over and under
I go through

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun May 01, 2016 4:00 am

I did.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun May 01, 2016 4:22 am

Then why quote back my stats and sources as though they were not already there?

It seems obvious that you don't find rape to be a serious problem based upon the tone and content of your post. This is kind of sickening and typical.

Why did tou compare all rape, which would include statutory, rape by family or known acquaintance, and date rape, to kidnapping by a stranger?
Would you feel better if we said that you are only 20,000 times more likely to be raped by a stranger than kidnapped by one? Gosh that makes it sound just peachy. That only 4% of all women will be raped by a stranger in their life times? Gosh when you put it that way it makes it sound quite trivial. How about 4% of the population ends their lives with a murder? Sound fair?

Your recommendations both blame victims and assume that strangers are out there prowling for people to rape
So you saying that there are NOT strangers out there prowling to rape people? That is about the most ignorant thing I have ever read on this board and that is saying a lot.

As for the rest...

Seems to me that if you actually cared about the problem that you would come up with ways for people to protect themselves instead of trying to minimize the scope and scale of the problem, which is massive.
You go over and under
I go through

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Mon May 02, 2016 2:17 am

The only thing I take exception to is the advice to go to a police station if you are being followed. In my part of the country police stations are not manned by armed police at all times. Generally what I see at police stations in my area are receptionists or clerks behind armored glass. They generally have a radio they can call the police with, but a cell phone will do the same thing for you and not leave you trapped in a lobby with a crazy guy with a tire iron between you and the door.

I understand some parts of the US, police stations have officers there at all times. If going to the police is part of your plan it would be a good idea to find out what stations in your location are like.

Some alternatives might be a hospital emergency room if they have armed security or a gun shop if they are open, especially if you are a frequent customer and friendly with the staff. Basically if you are going to run, go somewhere with people with guns that have some sort of desire to protect.

Probably the best place to run to is to a location that he 911 call taker directs you, where you can meet the police. I am generally armed whenever I am out of the house, and this is my preferred plan. I would much rather have the police arrest a road rager then have to use my CCW. My gun is the last resort.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 02, 2016 6:06 pm

Probably the best place to run to is to a location that he 911 call taker directs you, where you can meet the police.
That does make a bit more sense.
You go over and under
I go through

Asymetryczna
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Road

Post by Asymetryczna » Tue May 03, 2016 5:32 am

"Man's breath is fatal to his fellow men."
~Jean-Jacques Rousseau
from Emile
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

The Twizzler

Post by The Twizzler » Tue May 03, 2016 9:15 pm

I would feel way safer in a gun store than a police station. The gun store has people that practice shooting all the time. In fact in general I have always felt very safe everytime I am in a gun store. You walk in the door everyone immediately stops and sizes you up. I walked in a police station before and had to tap on the glass for attention.

Aikibiker wrote:The only thing I take exception to is the advice to go to a police station if you are being followed. In my part of the country police stations are not manned by armed police at all times. Generally what I see at police stations in my area are receptionists or clerks behind armored glass. They generally have a radio they can call the police with, but a cell phone will do the same thing for you and not leave you trapped in a lobby with a crazy guy with a tire iron between you and the door.

I understand some parts of the US, police stations have officers there at all times. If going to the police is part of your plan it would be a good idea to find out what stations in your location are like.

Some alternatives might be a hospital emergency room if they have armed security or a gun shop if they are open, especially if you are a frequent customer and friendly with the staff. Basically if you are going to run, go somewhere with people with guns that have some sort of desire to protect.

Probably the best place to run to is to a location that he 911 call taker directs you, where you can meet the police. I am generally armed whenever I am out of the house, and this is my preferred plan. I would much rather have the police arrest a road rager then have to use my CCW. My gun is the last resort.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed May 04, 2016 2:39 am

The Twizzler wrote:I would feel way safer in a gun store than a police station. The gun store has people that practice shooting all the time. In fact in general I have always felt very safe everytime I am in a gun store. You walk in the door everyone immediately stops and sizes you up. I walked in a police station before and had to tap on the glass for attention.

Aikibiker wrote:The only thing I take exception to is the advice to go to a police station if you are being followed. In my part of the country police stations are not manned by armed police at all times. Generally what I see at police stations in my area are receptionists or clerks behind armored glass. They generally have a radio they can call the police with, but a cell phone will do the same thing for you and not leave you trapped in a lobby with a crazy guy with a tire iron between you and the door.

Maybe, but nobody ever holds up a police station.
You go over and under
I go through

Aikibiker

Post by Aikibiker » Wed May 04, 2016 2:52 am

I am iffy on the gun store idea honestly. It really depends on the store and you. It is not a blanket thing. And remember you are talking about bringing violent people to someone's place of business. They most likely would not mind helping someone in trouble, but you have to think carefully about who you are drafting into helping you.

There are some stores in my local area where I am well known, greeted by name when I enter, and I trust the staff to have their shit together if I bring a shit storm into their lap. There are other places where I would pass by since showing up with bad guys following me would only make things worse.

Joel

Yes a Spartan hoplite trained for battle since he could walk, backed by 299 other Spartans, and lead by a military genius can hold off any number of zombies armed with spear, shield, and sword. However your couch-potato, asthmatic, gets in a car to drive to the corner store lazy ass can't. Deal with it.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”