Design considerations for rainwater collection

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Design considerations for rainwater collection

Post by Maast » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:20 pm

I've finally gotten serious about collecting and storing rainwater and I've bumped into something that I thought I'd share;

Because I have all the rainwater going through a sand filter before going into the storage tanks it turns out I need surge tanks at the six individual downspouts to hold and slowly release the water through the filter and into my collection tanks (a series of 330 gallon IBC totes).

Initially I had everything going into a 60 gallon surge tank just before the filter but it became real obvious real quick that one good downpour and it would be totally overloaded and waste water down the slope. Having 50 gallon collection tanks at the downspouts also lets the roof grit and other chunky bits settle out before being filtered. I've got micromesh gutter guards and 5 gallon "first flush" devices installed but there's still a lot of chunky water that gets through.

The final advantage is that it lets me use 3/4" 160PSI irrigation polyethylene piping to route the water around the house and to under the deck, a HECK of a lot cheaper, and easier to deal with than gluing together rigid PVC or ABS piping.

Since I can hide the piping in shallow trenches and route it around difficult spots or in hidden areas it also looks a million percent better too. When you look at the house you dont see pipes going everywhere, all you see is rain barrels, and even those dont look like barrels - they look like planters.

Thought this might help somebody else out who's looking to rainwater collection.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

Stercutus

Re: Design considerations for rainwater collection

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:17 am

pictures would be nice, maybe a diagram?
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Delsaw

Post by Delsaw » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:29 am

Love to see some pictures as well. Moved into our new house and still need to get a rain barrel or two. nothing like you, thanks to living in the burbs and HOA. Though I would like to do some filtering before the water gets in the barrel. Thanks for the post and reminder to add this to my ever growing to-do list.

Matt

phil_in_cs
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by phil_in_cs » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:44 am

backgrounder on slow sand filters from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/sand-filtration.html

Edit to add similar from WHO http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... ns/ssf/en/
Don't confuse a belligerent and aggressive attitude with the strength, training, and conditioning needed to prevail in a fight. How do you know you have the Will To Win, if you don't even have the will to train?

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:49 pm

phil_in_cs wrote:backgrounder on slow sand filters from the CDC http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/sand-filtration.html

Edit to add similar from WHO http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_hea ... ns/ssf/en/
That is some fantastic reading. I just printed that off and will add it to my folder on water treatment. Also Moab I would love to see a picture of your setup. I'm really looking at getting the acreage here in the next couple years, and top priority is getting a good rain water collection set up.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Wed May 04, 2016 12:59 am

Right now everything is torn up while I'm installing the system, I'll post a few pics when it doesnt look like a collection of random junk thrown together.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”