2016 goals

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

quazi

2016 goals

Post by quazi » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:23 am

What are your preparedness related goals for 2016?

I moved back to the country, so I've got a bunch of self-sufficiency related goals:
Raise a huge garden and preserve a lot of food.
Find some permanent places for my trees, and get started on some fencing to keep the moose out.
Graft a bunch of different kinds of apples to the saplings I started a couple years ago.
Plant a bunch more perennials.
Build some raised bed + low tunnel things.
Expand our chicken flock.
Start raising ducks.
Start raising rabbits.
Build a new chicken coop.
Try to grow some of my own animal feed for next year.
Start building an awesome outdoor kitchen.

Some prepping goals unrelated to self-sufficiency:
Continue to lose weight.
Continue to pay off debt.
Take a handgun course or two.
Start reloading.
Put together a better break-down kit for my car.
Get medical training.
Learn to use my HAM radio (I got my license, but I just found the local NOAA weather station and then threw it in a box).

ETA:
Build a heated greenhouse.
Starting growing salad greens hydroponically.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Re: 2016 goals

Post by LowKey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:53 am

Continue on with the process to get my wife her citizenship.
Clear trees off of the future build site on my land and thin the rest appropriately.
Explore ways to transition from working overseas to working "at home", or at least "closer to home".
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

majorhavoc
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, ZombieLand, Dawn of the Dead

Post by majorhavoc » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:08 am

Get back into shape, because a basic level of physical fitness is the foundation for all survival/emergency preps. I'm 9 months post ACL-repair and while I don't think the knee will ever be the same, I need to stop using that as an excuse.

Oh and since I joke about this with friends and family: I went the cadaver route for my ACL repair, rather than harvesting ligament tissue from my own body. So technically speaking, I now have a zombie knee. :clap:
Last edited by majorhavoc on Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:04 am

Get out of Los Angeles

That's it. Yeah, I'll keep saving money, yeah, I'll keep getting in better shape. Really though, priority #1 is relocation.

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:42 am

Confucius wrote:Get out of Los Angeles

That's it. Yeah, I'll keep saving money, yeah, I'll keep getting in better shape. Really though, priority #1 is relocation.
Alaska.
Just sayin'.... :crazy:
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

Doryman

Post by Doryman » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:17 pm

Start and finish school, line up a job that makes more money than I currently do.

Get more disciplined with money and investing; research carefully and buy quality.

Get back to the range to keep marksmanship up to snuff.

Update First Aid, try to get Wilderness First Aid.

Get into a volunteer SAR outfit.

Get back into the gym and under some heavy weights; grappling and kettlebells can only keep me so fit.

Eat better.

Train harder (and smarter) and medal in some regional/national Judo tournaments. Maybe pick up some other styles on the side. (MMA, Muay Thai, BJJ, etc,)

Scout the city for a good neighbourhood, keep an eye out for a house to buy. Something with an alternative heat source and yard-room for a garden.
That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there."

-George Orwell

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:23 pm

Firearms:
Broken down into two sub categories;
Competition guns - continue to accurize the Colt/Walther Gold Cup .22 I picked up on a whim last year. It's already more accurate than I am, so maybe I should work on accurizing the jerk on the trigger. I need to develop a load for .45 and 9mm.
Survivalist guns - pick up a .308 bolt action. Stock up on more .308/7.62. Also just bought my first AR lower receiver and will work on that as parts and finances become mutually available.

Finances: I need to set back some more money. I want to be able to move into a new apartment by fall, and right now, I'd be hard pressed to make the move, pay first and last, and still live as comfortably as I am. On the plus side, moving means moving in with my girlfriend, and a lot of other expenses would be reduced.
Debts are all in check, except my car payments which I will be clearing up this year.

Transportation:
While perfecting/fine tuning my various bug out bags was last years focus, this year is transportation. I want my jeep to be better equipped as a BOV. This has been in my mind since last summer, so a lot of things I wanted were on my Christmas wish list, which took care of cross bars for a roof rack, a (wired) trailer hitch and bike carrier. I want to be able to accommodate three passengers, and equipment for a weekend camping trip.
The second part of this goal is fine tuning my bicycle into something I'd be confident in using in a bug out situation. There's a local retailer which hosts classes on maintenance I want to take advantage of. Summer end goal is to cycle a Toronto trail which leads from the north east of the city south to the waterfront, across to the west and back north, ending relatively close to my apartment.

Bug Out Bags:
My focus for 2015 was perfecting my various bags (see forum signature), so I'm very happy with where my kits are. Future improvements will involve me reducing weight where I can.
I'm also going to begin working on a more long term survival kit towards the end goal of an "I.N.C.H." bag. Modularity, and working with or independent of my existing bug out bags is important for me in this project.
I will be encouraging my girlfriend to develop her own real world bug out bag, and help her with that project as best I can.

Health and fitness: by September, I want to be capable of running 5k fun runs, goal time of 30 minutes. I'm not far off now, but further training will be necessary.
Also, see above cycling goal.

As a whole, these threads have been a great help to me in the past. I am able to check back every few months and assess my progress. This will be even more important this year as many of my goals are seasonally focussed on spring through fall.

Good luck everyone.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:18 am

Got a kid turning 18 this year. Most important thing I will do this year is finishing preparations for adulthood.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Sun Yeti
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later, Zomblies (no, that's not a typo)

Post by Sun Yeti » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:59 pm

Make more money on projects/grow career in 2016. Being entrepreneurial is great, but any project/business that doesn't pull it's weight needs to be cut and replaced.

Get all the gear outlined in my BOB plan, and have a functioning, fully packed BOB I can grab at a moments notice. Maybe work on car kit, fireproof safe etc. if I finish the BOB.

Get back on exercise regimen. New Year's resolution last year to do some simple exercises before bed (sit-ups and push-ups) every other day. Started slipping by the end of 2015. Would really be good to add something aerobic, but the main thing is to get the habit re-cemented.

Much shorter list than some that have been posted, but I don't have much spare time, so I am trying to keep goals realistic.

MjaMjo

Post by MjaMjo » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Id like to improve our food storage solution by getting up to 3 months of food for 4 persons. Right now we are at 2 months for 1 person, so its a substantial improvement.

paladin2112

Post by paladin2112 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:36 pm

Get into better shape
Purchase a hand gun and get CCW
working on BOL with friend to be ready for our two families
Grown a decent garden this year
Plan a few fruit trees
Save money

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:41 pm

LowKey wrote:

Alaska.
Just sayin'.... :crazy:
It's on the list. Right next to Washington and Montana.

We'll see...

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:33 pm

So, how did everyone make out in their yearly goals? Get it all done? Bite off more than you could chew?Share with us how your year broke down.
BullOnParade wrote:Firearms:
Broken down into two sub categories;
Competition guns - continue to accurize the Colt/Walther Gold Cup .22 I picked up on a whim last year. It's already more accurate than I am, so maybe I should work on accurizing the jerk on the trigger. I need to develop a load for .45 and 9mm.
Survivalist guns - pick up a .308 bolt action. Stock up on more .308/7.62. Also just bought my first AR lower receiver and will work on that as parts and finances become mutually available.
Well, I didn't do much with the 1911-22, and I haven't made any progress towards developing a load for .45, but I did start working on the 9mm, it's not in mass production stages, but I have a grasp on it.

I didn't buy a .308, but I decided to build one, like from a billet. I talked about it briefly in the firearm chat a while back, bought material, and started on CAD drawings. It might be ready by the end of next year, but time is not as open as it once was. I finished the AR up around June, and bought a .22 AR as well, so things are moving nicely on that front.
BullOnParade wrote:Finances: I need to set back some more money. I want to be able to move into a new apartment by fall, and right now, I'd be hard pressed to make the move, pay first and last, and still live as comfortably as I am. On the plus side, moving means moving in with my girlfriend, and a lot of other expenses would be reduced.
Debts are all in check, except my car payments which I will be clearing up this year.
All plans on this front wen't out the window this year. My girlfriend and I decided that instead of moving into a new apartment, we would cram the two of us into my tiny apartment and save a metric butt load of money between the two of us. Unfortunately in order to make this work, a lot of investments had to be made into my existing apartment. Purging of things, increase in storage, even erecting a garden shed at my parent's place (primary BOL). All this cost money, it will be recouped within the new year, but my credit cards got away from me for a while. However as of yesterday, I received an inheritance from my great uncle who passed a few years ago, and I was able to wrangle everything back into place, including paying off the remainder of my car payments, which equates further savings in the new year. Looked kind of fuzzy for a while, but big check mark in this category this year.
BullOnParade wrote:Transportation:
While perfecting/fine tuning my various bug out bags was last years focus, this year is transportation. I want my jeep to be better equipped as a BOV. This has been in my mind since last summer, so a lot of things I wanted were on my Christmas wish list, which took care of cross bars for a roof rack, a (wired) trailer hitch and bike carrier. I want to be able to accommodate three passengers, and equipment for a weekend camping trip.
The second part of this goal is fine tuning my bicycle into something I'd be confident in using in a bug out situation. There's a local retailer which hosts classes on maintenance I want to take advantage of. Summer end goal is to cycle a Toronto trail which leads from the north east of the city south to the waterfront, across to the west and back north, ending relatively close to my apartment.
The BOV moved along quite nicely, equipped with LED headlights and roof rack, increased the battery booster I keep in the back, and improved the gear in the road side kit. It will never be an off road monster, but I feel I have a very capable vehicle until it's time to replace it, and at that time many of the investments can come with me.

My Bike got a full rebuild, stripped to nuts and bolts, cleaned, greased, oiled, reassembled. I took one of the classes I mentioned above, but wasn't overly impressed with the layout, so I took my bike to a small shop in one of the city parks where technicians guide you through working on your own bike. I didn't get to take it on any long trips I had hoped, but it's a very smooth ride and I have faith in it's ability to get me through a disaster scenario.
BullOnParade wrote:Bug Out Bags:
My focus for 2015 was perfecting my various bags (see forum signature), so I'm very happy with where my kits are. Future improvements will involve me reducing weight where I can.
I'm also going to begin working on a more long term survival kit towards the end goal of an "I.N.C.H." bag. Modularity, and working with or independent of my existing bug out bags is important for me in this project.
I will be encouraging my girlfriend to develop her own real world bug out bag, and help her with that project as best I can.
I didn't get much done here, but I did buy Hill People Gear Conner pack a few montsh ago, and a Kifaru frame on Black Friday, and organized some of the things I already had with INCH level preparedness in mind into those two kits. Plan is to use the frame as my main hauler, a dry bag to hold soft/bulky things, and the Conner to hold various survival tools. So far, so good.

My girlfriend didn't make any progress towards a BOB, but once she's settled into my apartment, I know it's on her to do list.
BullOnParade wrote:Health and fitness: by September, I want to be capable of running 5k fun runs, goal time of 30 minutes. I'm not far off now, but further training will be necessary.
Also, see above cycling goal.

Well I didn't make a 5K, but when I was falling short of that goal, I went and joined a gym. Going regularly, I have made great strides in the last quarter and I'm very excited to see where this takes me in the next year.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

RoneKiln

Post by RoneKiln » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:26 am

On the easily quantified things I did pretty good. On the not so easily quantified things I'm not sure.

Finances: I increased savings by about 30%. My mortgage is down to about a single year of my income. I have no debt other than the mortgage.

Fitness: Dropped 2 inches off my waistline. I'd like to drop one more. Regular yoga classes reduced shoulder issues to occasionally mild annoyance, and greatly reduced a hip issue.

Pantry: stable at half a year for myself. I'm going to reduce this for a while due to anticipated short term reduction in storage space.

Gear: I'm happy with my camping gear. The REI sales this year aren't even really interesting me. For firearms I finally invested in several very high end rifles I have wanted a very long time and took a marksmanship course. I have a long way to go for training on them, and I may swap out some optics packages, but it was a massive step forward.

BOB: I made a "weekend bag." I use it all the time. I bought a solid state hard drive, backed up my computer, and keep it in the weekend bag. Computer died this year and I only lost one file I cared about thanks to this.

The house: I didn't get much of anything done. A new fence on one side of the property and added a little firepit/patio area outside. This gets into the harder to quantify area of my life. I realized last winter I'm severely burned out. Psychologically I just crashed and didn't have energy to work on the place. And I really need to work on the place. It's a major fixer upper. There is opportunity to have generated substantial capital in the place but I gave myself permission to just let it go for a year. I didn't even plant the garden. I donated the raised beds to a good friend. Him coming over regularly to work in the garden was good for me cause it gave me company I valued. I did care for the berry bushes and fruit trees though. The peaches were amazing. I gorged myself on them for two weeks.

Between working lots of overtime and crashing on the weekends, I didn't get out much. I did exercise a bit and improve my average diet, but not what it should have been. So in some ways I'm ahead, but not nearly what I should have accomplished given the resources available to me. I ate out way too much and spent too much of my weekends lazing around the house with a book or DVDs.
"Seriously the most dangerous thing you are likely to do is to put salt on a Big Mac right before you eat it and to climb into your car."
--Raptor

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:57 am

Accomplished. Moved to Montana, bought a house.

woodsghost

Post by woodsghost » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:10 am

What I wanted:

*Get BoB set up.
*Get ZOMG bag set up.
*Expand network.
*Connect more with my wife on prepping.
*Reduce debt (more my wife's plan than mine. She is smarter)
*Expand savings.
*Figure out insurance.
*Get ready for Presidential Apocalypse.
*Expand Food.
*Get in better shape. Good enough to bug out w/ 70 lbs and walk 12 miles without hesitation.

What I did:

*Got ZOMG bag mostly set up. Still experimenting and refining.
*Got one car bag set up. Will tweek. Need several more bags.
*Expanded network. Now I need to get a Ham licence and start on building communications & work on medical to further expand network.
*Connected way more with my wife on prepping. While I like BoBs, she likes financial security. So we are now more well rounded.
Ok. This one is interesting. My wife is not really into prepping, but we discuss things in terms of being prepared and ready for emergencies or the unexpected. Also she is going camping with me a few times a year. We do this not because we are prepping, but because we want to improve our relationship. We are slowly acquiring gear, organizing finances, and gaining experiences which allow us to be better prepared. In doing so, we also work on our marriage, on communication, on compromise, on expressing/sharing values and concerns, and come out more prepared in the end. We don't do "prepping activities," we do "family activities" which leave us better prepared to weather the unexpected.
*Reduced debt significantly. Which hurt the savings account, but oh well. We are in a better spot now, financially. We just need to keep feeding the savings while paying down the debt.
*Did not expand savings, but see above for details :)
*Figured out insurance. Found some good deals with better coverage than I expected.
*Presidential Apocalypse did not happen. Other Apocalypses may be on the horizon, but that is for 2017 :mrgreen:
*Food was expanded. Going from one person to two people significantly reduced my preparedness. Prior levels will take time to regain.
*Got in better shape. Never before been in this good of shape, but still LOTS of room for improvement. Just need to be consistent.
*Remember: I'm just a guy on the internet :)
*Don't go to stupid places with stupid people & do stupid things.
*Be courteous. Look normal. Be in bed by 10'clock.

“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” -Bilbo Baggins.

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:07 pm

Overall pretty poor performance from me last year.
quazi wrote:Raise a huge garden and preserve a lot of food.
Planted a huge area, let nearly all of it go to waste.
quazi wrote:Find some permanent places for my trees, and get started on some fencing to keep the moose out.
Total failure.
quazi wrote:Graft a bunch of different kinds of apples to the saplings I started a couple years ago.
I accomplished this one.
quazi wrote:Plant a bunch more perennials.
Planted a few more.
quazi wrote:Build some raised bed + low tunnel things.
Started many, finished none.
quazi wrote:Expand our chicken flock.
Ended up with one less chicken than what we started with, but we also got a decent amount of meat.
quazi wrote:Start raising ducks.
Yep, although honestly I wish I hadn't attempted this one. It would have been better to put it off for a year or two.
quazi wrote:Start raising rabbits.
Nope, and I'm very happy that I didn't even try.
quazi wrote:Build a new chicken coop.
Nope, but I converted an old barn into a coop for our ducks and the existing coop was good enough for the chickens.
quazi wrote:Try to grow some of my own animal feed for next year.
Fava beans grew, but I didn't harvest any.
quazi wrote:Start building an awesome outdoor kitchen.
No, but I helped my brother out a little with building his.
quazi wrote:Continue to lose weight.
Gained about thirty pounds. I'm very upset with myself over this.
quazi wrote:Continue to pay off debt.
Not as much as I would have liked, but I still made forward progress.
quazi wrote:Take a handgun course or two.
No, but I did go to an Appleseed.
quazi wrote:Start reloading.
Only reloaded a handful of 10mm.
quazi wrote:Put together a better break-down kit for my car.
I got my BOB put together, but still haven't got a real break down kit put together.
quazi wrote:Get medical training.
Theoretically my work should be providing me with this, but it keeps not happening.
quazi wrote:Learn to use my HAM radio (I got my license, but I just found the local NOAA weather station and then threw it in a box).
I didn't even try.
quazi wrote:Build a heated greenhouse.
Nope
quazi wrote:Starting growing salad greens hydroponically.
I got a few things to grow, but didn't get them enough light so they ended up too spindly.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”