20lbs of protein/carbohydrates from 50lbs of grass in 5 days

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

grumpyviking

Re: 20lbs of protein/carbohydrates from 50lbs of grass in 5

Post by grumpyviking » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:09 am

I thought yeast was something you put in bread? at least we do. wouldn't have thought it would amount to much in quantity, isn't that a lot of work for very little result? just a thought.
Survive, Adapt & Evolve .

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:26 am

I see the value of 20 pounds of food manufactured from yard waste. It does not appear to be all that labor intensive either. You are certainly getting more out of it than you put into it.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:23 pm

sounded pretty labour intensive to me, mix it with lye and all the rest as outlined in the OP.
first you have to cut the grass and gather it, that's labour intensive just on its own.
I suppose it might be ok if one has run out of all other options, but i'm sure there are easier ways of getting a meal.

sheddi
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later
Shaun of the Dead

Post by sheddi » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:46 pm

grumpyviking wrote:... i'm sure there are easier ways of getting a meal.
Oh I don't know, 10 man-days of calories for maybe 6-8 hours work sounds like a bit of a win.
Be Pure!
Be Vigilant!
Behave!

ZSC:010 - UK Chapter
Grid tie solar PV in southern England
Foundation licence holder - Mike-Six-mumble-mumble-mumble.

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:09 am

I wouldn't have thought yeast is something to be enjoyed eating,each to his own but i'll save mine for my bread I think. like I said cutting the grass and collecting it will be a lot of work, just ask any farmer.

Boom40mm

Post by Boom40mm » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:56 am

grumpyviking wrote:I wouldn't have thought yeast is something to be enjoyed eating,each to his own but i'll save mine for my bread I think. like I said cutting the grass and collecting it will be a lot of work, just ask any farmer.

I mean you could compare it to the time/effort it would take to plow/plant/harvest vegetables... or providing enough feed/care to get an animal from birth to bacon.

"subsistence" farming... growing enough to subsist (with the majority of your daily exertions).

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:23 am

all i'm saying is it is labour intensive, especially if labour is all you have, no machinery.
there are easier, and dare I say it more palatable, ways of getting a meal.
still if that "floats your boat"!!! :lol:

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:40 am

Grump, with all your moaning about how quickly everyone will die as soon as the cable TV goes down I'd think you would appreciate an easy close food source more than most. :o

So far as cutting and collecting 50 pounds of grass I can do that with my lawn mower in an hour on a few ounces of gas. Using a push mower and a rake I could get it done in about 2-3 hours and use no gas.

If I used my tractor and really went to work in the field I could easily get ten times as much in an 2-3 hours. This is not hard work at all.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

grumpyviking

Post by grumpyviking » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:53 am

Stercutus wrote:Grump, with all your moaning about how quickly everyone will die as soon as the cable TV goes down I'd think you would appreciate an easy close food source more than most. :o

So far as cutting and collecting 50 pounds of grass I can do that with my lawn mower in an hour on a few ounces of gas. Using a push mower and a rake I could get it done in about 2-3 hours and use no gas.

If I used my tractor and really went to work in the field I could easily get ten times as much in an 2-3 hours. This is not hard work at all.
yes but is the food value worth the effort? and how many people does that 20lbs of food feed and for how long? and how palateable is it? I just think there are other ways of obtaining food that is more nutricious. that's all, like I said, if it suits you then go for it, just not my cup of tea, old bean!! :lol: :lol:

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:55 pm

For the older generation of my family, there were times if they didn't hit a sparrow they didn't have meat. This sounds much more reliable than attempts at sparrow hunting.

But I'm not a brewer (some day!!!) so I'm not sure if some of the supplies Maast mentions are the kind of thing one could come up with on a literal shoestring budget? Lye's something Grandpa could have (probably did) make in a barrel. Onion mold is easy. Keeping things aerated and at proper temp would be labor intensive with no power but clearly doable. But what's "DAP"? And has it got a common equivalent, if it's necessary?

Living on this stuff might not be much of a living - but at the extremes it will prevent some of the nutritional deficiencies/diseases that haunt the edges of not-quite-starving. It's a natural source of thiamine, so it prevents beriberi, (also weirnicke's encephalopathy if you can get a couple tablespoons of it daily into a raging alcoholic.) It's naturally got niacin in it, as well as tryptophan, so it would prevent pellagra, even if it was just a tablespoon or 2 added to the diet a day. My epidemiology instructor was pretty taken with Dr. Goldberger and how pellagra got figured out in the US in about 1926. Think this won't be a problem? in 1916 (pre-Depression, guys) over 100,000 people in the US were affected by pellagra (diarrhea, dermatitis, dementia) mostly in the South. One of the cures discovered (before they even figured out what niacin was) was "small amounts of brewer's yeast." Another was to nixtamalize corn, like Maast mentioned, which is why hominy is a thing. WWII prisoners of war in the Pacific used it to prevent vitamin deficiency diseases as well.

http://www.cofepow.org.uk/pages/asia_haruku2.htmBolding mine.
Dr. Springer wrote: We were then able to make yeast from boiled and soured rice which was used to counteract beriberi and other vitamin deficiency diseases. We were also able to set up a tempi factory, tempi being a dish widely used in these parts by the natives and is made from soya beans. For the next few months we were able to improve the general health of the camp. However, as soon as the camp closed down and we were transported to Ambon to be shipped back to Java we were unable to make these products so the symptoms of vitamin deficiency soon returned.

As my thoughts wander back over the years in Japanese captivity there are two facts that always present themselves in the foreground. Firstly, the most pleasing way in which the doctors, chemists and nurses worked with good results in their battle against the results of the pure ignorance, cruelty and inhumanity of the Japanese. Secondly, the speed with which the vitamin deficiency diseases developed.
And here's Maast showing us how we don't even have to waste any rice to make it, if we've got grass and some onion mold. Seriously, this isn't going to be an important food source until it's a vital food source. But that's the kind of thing some of us collect knowledge about around here...
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:57 pm

I use commercially available nutritional yeast as a flavor enhancer since it contains naturally occurring MSG. So nutritional yeast boosts the umami in things. That's why it has a bit of a beefy/cheesy flavor. It's the umami you are tasting. I currently have the Brag brand. But I have seen large cans of nutritional yeast at Whole Foods; it's in the vitamin section for some reason. I haven't tried to eat large quantities of nutritional yeast. So I am not sure if I would be down with that. However I have found that it makes a nice addition to oil free salad dressings. It enhances the flavor and thickens the dressing nicely. I wasn't aware of it's protein content. According to the food database on cronometer; 75% of the calories in Brag nutritional yeast is from protein. So that looks like a great way to add some extra protein to ones diet. I will have to get in the habit of using it when I make white rice.

One possible issue with using lawn clippings is the lawn chemicals. Does the process of producing the yeast get rid of the lawn chemicals? Dandelion greens are edible. But I wouldn't be inclined to eat them from some random lawn that might have been sprayed with methylethylbadshit. So I would be cautious about using lawn clippings for anything edible.

Here is a video for a nutritionally complete vegan mac and cheese that uses nutritional yeast. By the way; her channel is awesome. Good science based vegan nutritional info.

Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

RonnyRonin

Post by RonnyRonin » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Me and my wife started using nutritional yeast on bean and rice dishes since we discovered it was a key ingredient in the signature sauce of a local restaurant (Cafe Yumm in Oregon). I wouldn't want to eat it by the spoonful but it is great for fortifying staples like rice.
share your tobacco and your kindling, but never your sauna or your woman.

AK, Glock, Pie.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:00 pm

Purple_Mutant wrote:I use commercially available nutritional yeast as a flavor enhancer since it contains naturally occurring MSG. So nutritional yeast boosts the umami in things. That's why it has a bit of a beefy/cheesy flavor. It's the umami you are tasting. I currently have the Brag brand. But I have seen large cans of nutritional yeast at Whole Foods; it's in the vitamin section for some reason. I haven't tried to eat large quantities of nutritional yeast. So I am not sure if I would be down with that. However I have found that it makes a nice addition to oil free salad dressings. It enhances the flavor and thickens the dressing nicely. I wasn't aware of it's protein content. According to the food database on cronometer; 75% of the calories in Brag nutritional yeast is from protein. So that looks like a great way to add some extra protein to ones diet. I will have to get in the habit of using it when I make white rice.

One possible issue with using lawn clippings is the lawn chemicals. Does the process of producing the yeast get rid of the lawn chemicals? Dandelion greens are edible. But I wouldn't be inclined to eat them from some random lawn that might have been sprayed with methylethylbadshit. So I would be cautious about using lawn clippings for anything edible.

Here is a video for a nutritionally complete vegan mac and cheese that uses nutritional yeast. By the way; her channel is awesome. Good science based vegan nutritional info.

Macaroni and Lies is delicious! Shrapnel has a version in her cooking thread that's simple and honestly competes with pizza on my list of things I could eat several times per week forever.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Purple_Mutant
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Purple_Mutant » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:30 am

Doctorr Fabulous wrote: Macaroni and Lies is delicious! Shrapnel has a version in her cooking thread that's simple and honestly competes with pizza on my list of things I could eat several times per week forever.
Macaroni and lies! I like it. I may have to stat using that term. I will have to look up the cooking thread. I am always down for more vegan recipes.
Apathy wrote:We are a bunch of adults who own too many guns and actively prepare for the zombie apocalypse. There is something wrong with each and every one of us.
Emergency prep and Autism

Acronyms

My photography and art

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by Maast » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Sorry, I haven't been by in a while - busy with other things;

DAP is diammonium phosphate, which is used to give yeast the nitrogen they need to grow and reproduce. Basically it's a brewers fertilizer. You can also use boiled yeast, urea, or even tomato paste as yeast fertilizer. What's needed to make yeast happy and productive can and has filled thousands of books...

Brewing is complicated as hell once you don't have your friendly neighborhood brewing store available any more.
There is a lot of knowledge involved in taking something that's been grown and turning it into ethanol, starting out with something that already has fermentable sugars in it (like fruit) is a lot easier but not necessarily easy.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”