Boat vs Plane - What would you choose?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Re: Boat vs Plane - What would you choose?

Post by ineffableone » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:26 pm

RickOShea wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
So lets revisit,

Plane-
reliant on aviation fuel
LOL. The school where I got my Private cert used 91 octane autogas in almost everything. Not sure about today's ethanol blends, though.....that's probably no bueno. Image
Even with auto gas, your reliant on fuel. While a canoe you only have to fuel yourself to paddle.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

RickOShea
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by RickOShea » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:12 pm

ineffableone wrote:
RickOShea wrote:
ineffableone wrote:
So lets revisit,

Plane-
reliant on aviation fuel
LOL. The school where I got my Private cert used 91 octane autogas in almost everything. Not sure about today's ethanol blends, though.....that's probably no bueno. Image
Even with auto gas, your reliant on fuel. While a canoe you only have to fuel yourself to paddle.
Hopefully you're heading down stream, and the most exerting thing you'll have to do is pop-a-top.Image

whisk.e.rebellion wrote: It's not what you say anymore. It's how you say it.

Image ............................................................................................................................................................................................Image

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:57 pm

Boat, because people can swim in the water, but not for very long on the air.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

NamelessStain

Post by NamelessStain » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:55 am

Boat

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... salute.jpg

Cruise down to Havana and grab some cigars.
jnathan wrote:Since we lost some posts due to some database work I'll just put this here for posterity.
Q wrote:Buckle up

velojym
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fido

Post by velojym » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:32 am

I was thinking more along the lines of a decent sized sailboat and something packable... this might do:

Yeah, many certificated aircraft with lower compression engines Cherokee 140, many Cessna 172s, etc. have STCs for mogas. But, yeah... no alcohol.
Most of the guys at our airport would get their gas from the distributor, because that's where the alcohol and other additives are added. They'd split the cost and bring a small tank trailer with a pump on it, then just fuel their airplanes from that.

As for SHTF use, I'd only count on anything that requires fuel for the initial getaway. Long term, I'd concentrate my efforts on human or weather powered conveyances. You'd still want to stock up on some supplies, though, as there may not be ready sources for bicycle tire tubes and the like. A decent sized crate of those, properly stored, could last quite a few years, though.
A Canoe... well... it's just a shape that keeps out the water. If you're in a position to make good use of that or a rowboat... with sail even... you're golden.
Wouldn't it be great if all wars could be fought just by the assholes who started them?
-The Postman

hughntx
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombie Land

Post by hughntx » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:45 pm

In general, I would always opt for a boat first. With that said though, there are definitely situations where a plane would be more useful. If I am in the middle of dry land and no waterway nearby, I'd prefer the plane to make an escape.

MasterMaker

Post by MasterMaker » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:55 pm

With 71" of the planet surface being covered by water one can make an argument for there being a 71% of a natural teotwawki event being water based and by extension that there would be a 71% chance of a natural teotwawki event necessitating getting away from the coast....

It may not be financially possible for most people but if I had the funds it would be rather high on my list of means to bug out and only second to a good 4x4 since boats are comparatively cheap and a good stitch-and-glue boat/Jon-boat that would fit on a car roof rack only takes a few $(100-300$) and some time to make.

Something larger would still be less than 1000$ with quite a few designs, and wooden boat building is a good skill to acquire as a boat is something that people would trade for in the paw, and the skill set translates to building shelters and other things if survival necessitates being as far away as possible from large bodies of water.

Whatever works!

Content before Form
Action before Intention
Intention before Appearance

Freedom as far as you can take it without it being a hindrance to the freedom of others and voluntarity trumps all other considerations

claverhouse

Post by claverhouse » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:32 am

I don't know how to fly an aircraft and if it's the end of the world I will neither have time to learn nor anyone willing to teach me. Also, if I could fly an aircraft and it failed in operation, I can't fly. I can use a sailboat or canoe and I could figure out a motorboat readily enough and if any of them failed in operation, I can swim.
He either fears his fate too much,
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all.

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:06 pm

EDITED - For clarity. When I mentioned the "bow mounted .50 cal" I was referring to a perfectly legal SEMI AUTO version. Not an Illegal auto version. I've been building for so long I forget that most don't know the difference. And that's it's not a given your talking semi auto. Anything automatic is illegal unless it was in existence prior to 1968. And you have the appropriate stamps for it. Or your an 07 builder building for LE and the like. With the appropriate letter.

********************************************************************************************************************************************

I've thought about boats a lot. As I live in LA about a five minute walk to the beach. And a 15 minute drive to two rather large marinas. And sailed quite a bit with friends in my 20's in the Pacific. There is a type of boat called a motor sailer. It doesn't go very fast sailing. But it can take over for when your fuel runs out. Until you can get more. That would be my vote. Couple that with some wind and solar power. STill a tough bet. But if I had to get out of someplace like Los Angeles. It would be my bet. The roads are going to be clogged with every manner of human life. Good and bad.

I think I'd also mount a "SEMI AUTO" .50 cal on the bow. Just for protection from other ships of similar size or smaller. If a LARGE metal boat or equivalent shows up your pretty much screwed. (And to those that think a deck mounted .50 is fantasy. I know many people that have built their own from parts kits. IN SEMI AUTOMATIC. It's doable. I've owned a few .50 cal anti aircraft parts kits. They are something to behold. They're generally the same thing mounted on the back of a Toyota pick up over in the Badmanistan area. EXCEPT THEY ARE SEMI AUTOMATIC. Throw backs to WWII/Korea/Vietnam era (And still today in the Middle East and other places around the world). But they do the job. Illegal to build in CA. But not anywhere else IN SEMI AUTOMATIC - generally speaking. Look up Knob Creek shoot on youtube. You'll see several being put thru their paces.) Or some kind of belt fed gun onboard. Lots of ammo, food, firearms, water, etc. etc.

But I'd also have a plan to move north. Closer to family and other BOL's. I don't think drifting on the high seas is a smart way of living forever. But if I had to chose between plane and boat. Boat hands down.

This isn't a very good example. They come much bigger and more sea worthy. Just to give you an example:

Edit- Here's a larger example. Something inbetween these sizes would work best:

Google images. They come in many shapes and sizes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=motor+s ... 61TO4xM%3A
Last edited by moab on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

moab

Post by moab » Sun Oct 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Edited my above post. Sorry if I offended anyone. I assumed everyone knew I was talking about a legal "semi auto" build from parts. Not an illegal full auto version. I've been building firearms for so long. I forget that others don't take that for granted in conversation.

My apologies. Again.
"Ideas are more dangerous than guns. We don't let our people have guns. Why would we let them have ideas?" Josef Stalin

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”