ThreatCon

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

wildman800

ThreatCon

Post by wildman800 » Sat May 09, 2015 7:54 am

With the US Military installations assuming ThreatCon Bravo (& some have assumed ThreatCon Charlie), I believe it's advisable to know what ThreatCon a local installation is in and adjust one's preps and plans accordingly. A quick search will provide an idea of what each ThreatCon Level actually means.

This is just my opinion of course. 8-)
The best luck is what you make yourself!

superduder
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie, the LD trilogy, return of the living dead pt I & II,The Battery

Re: ThreatCon

Post by superduder » Sat May 09, 2015 5:09 pm

wildman800 wrote:With the US Military installations assuming ThreatCon Bravo (& some have assumed ThreatCon Charlie), I believe it's advisable to know what ThreatCon a local installation is in and adjust one's preps and plans accordingly. A quick search will provide an idea of what each ThreatCon Level actually means.

This is just my opinion of course. 8-)
How would one find out?
I tend to not frequent the local military installation.
J
"I've stared Azreal in the face enough that we should be pretty good friends."

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Sat May 09, 2015 7:54 pm

Why trouble people with a search. Just post it on up there:
SECTION I. BASIC THREATCON PROCEDURES

1. General. The threat conditions (THREATCONs) outlined below describe the progressive level of a terrorist threat to all US military facilities and personnel under DOD Directive O-2000.12. As approved by the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the terminology and definitions are recommended security measures designed to ease inter-Service coordination and support of US military antiterrorism activities. The purpose of the THREATCON system is accessibility to, and easy dissemination of, appropriate information. The declaration, reduction, and cancellation of THREATCONs remain the exclusive responsibility of the commanders specified in the order. Although there is no direct correlation between threat information (e.g., Intelligence Summaries, Warning Reports, and Spot Reports) and THREATCONs, such information, coupled with the guidance provided below, assists commanders in making prudent THREATCON declarations. THREATCONs may also be suffixed with the geographic area deemed at risk. Once a THREATCON is declared, the selected security measures are implemented immediately. NOTE: When used in antiterrorism plans, recommend that the information contained in this appendix be marked "For Official Use Only" (FOUO) in accordance with DOD Regulation 5400.7-R, October 1990. The DOD Directive O-2000.12 recommended measures are:

THREATCON NORMAL exists when a general threat of possible terrorist activity exists but warrants only a routine security posture.
THREATCON ALPHA applies when there is a general threat of possible terrorist activity against personnel and facilities, the nature and extent of which are unpredictable, and circumstances do not justify full implementation of THREATCON BRAVO measures. However, it may be necessary to implement certain measures from higher THREATCONs resulting from intelligence received or as a deterrent. The measures in this THREATCON must be capable of being maintained indefinitely.

(1) Measure 1. At regular intervals, remind all personnel and dependents to be suspicious and inquisitive about strangers, particularly those carrying suitcases or other containers. Watch for unidentified vehicles on or in the vicinity of US installations. Watch for abandoned parcels or suitcases and any unusual activity.

(2) Measure 2. The duty officer or personnel with access to building plans as well as the plans for area evacuations must be available at all times. Key personnel should be able to seal off an area immediately. Key personnel required to implement security plans should be on-call and readily available.

They already are

(3) Measure 3. Secure buildings, rooms, and storage areas not in regular use.

(4) Measure 4. Increase security spot checks of vehicles and persons entering the installation and unclassified areas under the jurisdiction of the United States.

(5) Measure 5. Limit access points for vehicles and personnel commensurate with a reasonable flow of traffic.

(6) Measure 6. As a deterrent, apply measures 14, 15, 17, or 18 from THREATCON BRAVO either individually or in combination with each other.

(7) Measure 7. Review all plans, orders, personnel details, and logistic requirements related to the introduction of higher THREATCONs.

(8) Measure 8. Review and implement security measures for high-risk personnel as appropriate.

(9) Measure 9. As appropriate, consult local authorities on the threat and mutual antiterrorism measures.

(10) Measure 10. To be determined.
THREATCON BRAVO applies when an increased and more predictable threat of terrorist activity exists. The measures in this THREATCON must be capable of being maintained for weeks without causing undue hardship, affecting operational capability, and aggravating relations with local authorities.

(1) Measure 11. Repeat measure 1 and warn personnel of any other potential form of terrorist attack.

(2) Measure 12. Keep all personnel involved in implementing antiterrorist contingency plans on call.

(3) Measure 13. Check plans for implementation of the next THREATCON.

(4) Measure 14. Move cars and objects (e.g., crates, trash containers) at least 25 meters from buildings, particularly buildings of a sensitive or prestigious nature. Consider centralized parking.

This one is kind of pointless parking lots were moved years ago.

(5) Measure 15. Secure and regularly inspect all buildings, rooms, and storage areas not in regular use.

(6) Measure 16. At the beginning and end of each workday, as well as at other regular and frequent intervals, inspect the interior and exterior of buildings in regular use for suspicious packages.

(7) Measure 17. Examine mail (above the regular examination process) for letter or parcel bombs.

Same

(8) Measure 18. Check all deliveries to messes, clubs, etc. Advise dependents to check home deliveries.

(9) Measure 19. Increase surveillance of domestic accommodations, schools, messes, clubs, and other soft targets to improve deterrence and defense, and to build confidence among staff and dependents.

(10) Measure 20. Make staff and dependents aware of the general situation in order to stop rumors and prevent unnecessary alarm.

These days the unnecessary alarm comes from the civilian sector. Most military are >shrug<

(11) Measure 21. At an early stage, inform members of local security committees of actions being taken. Explain reasons for actions.

(12) Measure 22. Physically inspect visitors and randomly inspect their suitcases, parcels, and other containers. Identify the visitor's destination. Ensure that proper dignity is maintained, and if possible, ensure that female visitors are inspected only by a female qualified to conduct physical inspections.

(13) Measure 23. Operate random patrols to check vehicles, people, and buildings.

(14) Measure 24. Protect off-base military personnel and military vehicles in accordance with prepared plans. Remind drivers to lock vehicles and check vehicles before entering or exiting the vehicle.

(15) Measure 25. Implement additional security measures for high-risk personnel as appropriate.

(16) Measure 26. Brief personnel who may augment guard forces on the use of deadly force. Ensure that there is no misunderstanding of these instructions.

(17) Measures 27. As appropriate, consult local authorities on the threat and mutual antiterrorism measures.

(18) Measures 28 and 29. To be determined.
THREATCON CHARLIE applies when an incident occurs or intelligence is received indicating some form of terrorist action against personnel and facilities is imminent. Implementation of measures in this THREATCON for more than a short period probably will create hardship and affect the peacetime activities of the unit and its personnel.

(1) Measure 30. Continue, or introduce, all measures listed in THREATCON BRAVO.

(2) Measure 31. Keep all personnel responsible for implementing antiterrorist plans at their places of duty.

(3) Measure 32. Limit access points to the absolute minimum.

(4) Measure 33. Strictly enforce control of entry. Randomly search vehicles.

(5) Measure 34. Enforce centralized parking of vehicles away from sensitive buildings.

(6) Measure 35. Issue weapons to guards. Local orders should include specific orders on issue of ammunition.

(7) Measure 36. Increase patrolling of the installation.

(8) Measure 37. Protect all designated vulnerable points. Give special attention to vulnerable points outside the military establishment.

(9) Measure 38. Erect barriers and obstacles to control traffic flow.

(10) Measure 39. Consult local authorities about closing public (and military) roads and facilities that might make sites more vulnerable to attacks.

(11) Measure 40. To be determined.
THREATCON DELTA applies in the immediate area where a terrorist attack has occurred or when intelligence has been received that terrorist action against a specific location or person is likely. Normally, this THREATCON is declared as a localized condition.

(1) Measure 41. Continue, or introduce, all measures listed for THREATCONs BRAVO and CHARLIE.

(2) Measure 42. Augment guards as necessary.

(3) Measure 43. Identify all vehicles within operational or mission-support areas.

(4) Measure 44. Search all vehicles and their contents before allowing entrance to the installation.

(5) Measure 45. Control access and implement positive identification of all personnel--no exceptions.

(6) Measure 46. Search all suitcases, briefcases, packages; etc., brought into the installation.

(7) Measure 47. Control access to all areas under the jurisdiction of the United States.

(8) Measure 48. Make frequent checks of the exterior of buildings and of parking areas.

(9) Measure 49. Minimize all administrative journeys and visits.

(10) Measure 50. Coordinate the possible closing of public and military roads and facilities with local authorities.

(11) Measure 51. To be determined.
These days of dust
Which we've known
Will blow away with this new Son

But I'll kneel down wait for now
And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

91Eunozs
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: All of them!

Post by 91Eunozs » Sun May 10, 2015 1:11 pm

Yeah I got the automated call at 0430 Friday morning... Apparently I'm still on the recall roster even though I retired 4 weeks ago! :?

Called my old Deputy Friday afternoon and he said he'd been running 48-hrs straight (my old Division is also in charge of our Crisis Action Team and Ops Center for the entire Command). Nothing solid...or maybe just nothing he could tell me.

You know the expression... "When you're in you're a guest... When you're out you're a pest."

Maybe my blood pressure and prepping binges will decrease now that I no longer get any insider information! :lol:
Molon Latte...come & take our coffee order
Doctorr Fabulous wrote:... It's fun to play pretend, but this is the internet, and it's time to be serious.
zengunfighter wrote:... you don't want to blow a tranny in the middle of a pursuit...
woodsghost wrote:... A defensive gun without training is basically a talisman. It might ward off evil, but I wouldn't count on it.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Sun May 10, 2015 2:34 pm

The Patriot Act expires at the end of the month and the legislation re-authorizing it is getting held up, so I expect a 'major terrorist incident' sometime in the next 3 weeks.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 11, 2015 3:08 am

It is good to see someone living up to their moniker.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

LowKey
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Dead (original and remake)
Dawn of the Dead (original and remake)
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead
28 Days
28 Weeks
Resident Evil
Shawn of the Dead
Night of the Comet (cheese squared!)
Dead Alive (cheese cubed!!)

Post by LowKey » Mon May 11, 2015 7:59 am

Stercutus wrote:Image

Why oh why do people keep doing that??!?
“Political tags – such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth – are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” Robert A. Heinlein

TheZone
Favorite Zombie Movies: The new Dawn of the Dead

Post by TheZone » Mon May 11, 2015 9:53 am

When I heard the news I bought three bags of cheese balls instead of just one.

You cannot be too prepared. 8-)
My Zombie novel. The Zone.

My Second Zombie novel. Payload, YGAT Book 1

My Third Zombie novel. Rolling Hunger, YGAT book 2

My Western zombie novel. Sunstone

My alien invasion novel.

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Mon May 11, 2015 2:20 pm

LowKey wrote:
Stercutus wrote:Image

Why oh why do people keep doing that??!?
I am going to go with Reactance Theory in this particular case.
These days of dust
Which we've known

And I'll kneel down
Know my ground

Doctor Jest
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by Doctor Jest » Mon May 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Mall Ninja,
This is not the place for a discussion of the pros and cons of the Patriot Act. There are many fine web site on which to discuss politics, but this is not one of them.

As you were.
I survived ZombieCon 2007, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16!!!
Towanda wrote:When I become Empress of the Universe, ticks are the first (and so far only) species slated for complete genocide.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”