Help with the "Prepper" neighbor

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

drifts14x
Favorite Zombie Movies: N/A- I read Zombie Books

Help with the "Prepper" neighbor

Post by drifts14x » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:11 pm

Howdy Forum! Long time since my last post.

I've got a scenario that I would love some input on. I have a big piece of land (30 acres), and only two neighbors in a half mile, one with 60 acres (who is a veteran like me, and a fantastic neighbor, always there to help). The other neighbor is new, however, and he is the one I need help with.

This guy is a lawyer, the kind of guy that wears flip flops in the field, and is throwing money at his "Prepper Homestead" (the exact words that were used to describe why he bought the house the first time I met him). He has a few guys that care for his land for him, basically to keep him from having to get his hands dirty. Definitely the kind of guy with a lot of money and not a lot of knowledge outside of some stuff he has obviously read in fiction, and seen in Red Dawn.

I like the guy's intentions, but I need to figure out a way to break it to him that he has to get dirty to be prepared, and that he needs to take accountability for himself, instead of throwing money at problems that sweat equity can solve.

I also really need to get him to stop telling his friends about what a "prepper's dream" our area is, and to stop telling everyone he converses with about how he is a prepper, how his neighbor is a veteran, how he is going to be prepping and caching for PAW, etc.

How do I help this guy? Is it a good idea to expose him to things like what firearms to buy, or how to better prep (to help my own preps in the event something happens)? Or should I just drop him off of my map and hermit up?

This is the inner dialogue I am facing, and I would love some advice from anyone who has dealt with these people before.
"Look Alive, Sunshine"

Guns may be useful in a Zombie Apocalypse, but nothing is a match for:

Attack Chihuahuas- God help you if I loose the attack chihuahuas...

zero11010

Re: Help with the "Prepper" neighbor

Post by zero11010 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:50 pm

Take me for some time attack laps in your silvia and I'll talk to him for ya!

Seriously though. You know everything you want to say to him. Have him over for a BBQ once in a while, or go do some things that he'll consider "manly" and each time set aside a few minutes to go over a topic with him. A camping trip or a mock bug out may be a good way to spend some time with him and see how he does with getting his hands a little dirty.

I don't know if you'll be able to fix him wearing flip flops, but I bet it wouldn't take much to explain to him that telling people "hey, what I have is awesome in case of an emergency!" is a great way to get a bunch of unwanted people to show up in an emergency. It makes himself and his neighbors (hey, that's you!) less safe. I'm sure he would appreciate hearing that he's accidentally making his neighbors less safe.

I'd suggesting going over firearms with this guy way, way after you have a better read on him. I imagine the last thing you need is this guy deciding he wants to learn to be a sniper and buying some ridiculous rig and shooting it on his property (potentially in the direction of your property).

There's a substantial potential for the guy to get bored with his toys after a while, and he may be a great source of barely used second hand prepper items.

It may also be a boon to the area. If this guy has money to throw a situations with little ability/interest in get his hands dirty, that may offer you and your neighbors a way to work a deal for communal items. I don't have anything specific in mind, but I've certainly had ideas with friends where individuals were more/less able to throw in financially and we found other ways to even things out (so this guy puts in 50% of the funds and you and another guy each throw in 25% and all three of you have access to whatever it is you're pooling for).

It's hard for me to make so many assumptions about the guy with so little information. From what I've seen of people when they start to look into prepping the first thing they do is throw a bunch of money at the situation (it's a very natural reaction in our society). It may do him a lot of good if you explain the importance of skills. Courses on first aid, self defense, wilderness survival, firearms, and whatever else may be a better investment of his money than just a larger quantity of expensive gear. The idea that being able to make do with less is more advantageous than just having more.

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:48 pm

Without meeting the guy it is tough to say what would exactly work. However I think the idea of having a BBQ or similar function where you break bread is a good start.

It may require only some minor discussion about OPSEC for him to understand that issue. I suspect the getting his hands dirty part of the discussion may be more difficult. He may not know how to do some of things he is paying people to do.

Still I would start building the relationship with the OPSEC issue since that is one problem that can also be your problem in a SHTF situation.

yossarian
Favorite Zombie Movies: Army of Darkness, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead(remake)

Post by yossarian » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:14 pm

If I were in your shoes I would cease all discussion about my own plans/preps. Then I would let him know that his stuff is so cool, my new plan is to bug out to his house with all of my family and friends, and maybe my friends families too if they can make it. They're all really good people, I swear. As a matter of fact I was just talking to my cousin Dave about (insert whatever new prep William J. Flipflop Esq. is bragging about these days) and he's definitely headed here when the SHTF.
" So, brave knights,
if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further,
for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth."

Ronin101

Post by Ronin101 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:49 pm

"I like the guy's intentions, but I need to figure out a way to break it to him that he has to get dirty to be prepared, and that he needs to take accountability for himself, instead of throwing money at problems that sweat equity can solve."

"I also really need to get him to stop telling his friends about what a "prepper's dream" our area is, and to stop telling everyone he converses with about how he is a prepper, how his neighbor is a veteran, how he is going to be prepping and caching for PAW, etc."

A lot of your own opinion in these statements!! First one isn't true. You don't have to get dirty to be prepared and if he wants to throw his mnoney at it he can.

the second comment isn't really your business. You don't get to tell him what he can and can't say to his friends. Maybe ask him not to mention you and explain the whole op sec concept. Then let it go...His friends probably think he is crazy anyway! IMHO

ineffableone
Favorite Zombie Movies: Undead, Dead Alive/Braindead, Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 days, 28 Weeks Later, I Am Legend, Resident Evil franchise, Serenity (I would call Revers pretty damn zombie), Versus, Black Sheep

Post by ineffableone » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:31 pm

You could show him Subtac's video on how he was robbed after being on Doomsday Preppers show.

You definitely need to get him thinking about OPSEC. It is great he wants to set up a retreat, but not so good that he is telling lots of people about it. I would worry less about getting him up to speed about getting his hands dirty, though he should, but get him to shut his mouth about the location and supplies as quick as you can.
"Once a man has seen society's black underbelly, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend, like you do, that it doesn't exist"

"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with ME!"

ZS Wiki ZS Acronyms

Gun Self Defense Counter

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:38 am

That video is pretty instructional. I am kind of surprised a lawyer is running his mouth about such things personally, given the people they tend to deal with on a daily basis. Either they are people he really trusts? Or he is a complete moron.
How do I help this guy?
- You may not be able to. I'd ask him what his plan is, what he is preparing for and how he intends to go about it. Let him point out the flaws in his plan and just wonder how he intends to address them. Since he is not a real neighbor but using the place as a bail out place it seems less likely that you will have much influence. As noted if he loses interest sounds like cheap used stuff to me.
Is it a good idea to expose him to things like what firearms to buy, or how to better prep (to help my own preps in the event something happens)?
- I would not tell him anything about firearms. Just focus on the basics first.
Or should I just drop him off of my map and hermit up?
- Doing this might actually be dangerous. In some crazy event he survives an event and is running low on supplies he might decide you are a good target.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:46 pm

Point out that the less people who know, the better.

Also I would not let him in on your own prep level because he seems to have others going wild on what he has and the like, which means he would discuss you.

At the same time people who are big type A people like being in charge. Do you really see him allowing someone else to give suggestions / tell him what to do?

It might be he has only recently become a prepper. This might be a passing phase for him.

Tread carefully.

buck85
Favorite Zombie Movies: Apocalypse Now

Post by buck85 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:55 pm

My advise:
Limit contact with him
If it was me I would limit contact on my land. If going to church invite him, if local festival invite him.

Be careful what you say to him and about him to others
Since you fell uncomfortable about his talking, think about your talking about him to others. If you can not be nice at least be non committal.

A neighbor should first be a neighbor
..and then if they could be come a friend then so be it.I would be wary of any one asking a lot of questions/ advice.At this point in time you know nothing about this person other than what has been told to you by him and what you have heard from others.If you go to church Invite he to go

observe what is going on(Next door, interactions in town)
Watch his interactions with others on and off property.

Pay attention to the new movement in area,
Personal I am always watching if I am being watch.As I come off the hard road( a major thruway) to go home I pause and see If any of the same cars are on the road or if any cars are parked on the side of the rode If I am really on my game I look and see if any strange tire tracks in my driveway.

google his name and see what comes up

Be patient
That is the hardest thing.

Is he a defense attorney or a prosecuting attorney?
Regardless over all he has great potential to be an asset to the general area. To me he sounds like a prosecuting attorney (they tend in my opinion to think they have bigger ... than most. hence the talking
Remember he the new kid in school, his talk maybe just because he is trying to fit in.
If you know who you are, you can, then know other people.

If you have faith, chaos will turn into order.

Let them hate...So long as they fear!

In the absence of light darkness will prevail

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”