FREE online disaster preparedness course. Jan 26

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

FREE online disaster preparedness course. Jan 26

Post by Chicago Zombie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:29 pm

There is a free online Disaster Preparedness course offered through Coursera & the University of Pittsburgh.
The course runs from January 26 - March 12, 2015.

https://www.coursera.org/course/disasterprep
About the Course
This course will teach the student how to survive when everything we normally take for granted is gone, when the structures we depend on have failed. We will examine the Disaster Cycle, particularly the Mitigation and Recovery phases. Students will prepare an extensive personal preparedness plan covering such topics as supplies, communication, food and water, shelter, security, and comfort (yes even in survival there can and should be comfort). We also look at preparedness on the institutional and government levels.

We will look beyond these plans towards the one aspect of survival, which will enable a person to survive when all planning has failed. Disasters, by definition, overwhelm all available resources. If all available resources are gone, only one thing will keep a person alive and that is their attitude. A persons awareness and attitude, the two are closely linked, allow a person the means to remain calm, avoid panic, and draw upon resources within and outside the person to survive when their world has failed. In truth not everyone survives in extreme circumstances; people die, but, even in death, attitude, if it cannot save you, provides some degree or comfort.
Course Format
This practical course will consist of readings, lecture videos, and PowerPoint presentations. There will be non-graded practice quizzes and interactive discussions. Students will assess the personal risks in their region and prepare an extensive personal preparedness plan. Additional topics include the disaster cycle, personal safety, attitudes and awareness, medical considerations, and international support services.
This course is usually offered at least once a year. I have taken it before, & I know that some other ZS members have taken it too.
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
May is Ehlers Danlos Syndrome awareness month!
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

HeldTheAncient

Re: FREE online disaster preparedness course. Jan 26

Post by HeldTheAncient » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:34 pm

Was there a lot of useful information? Sounds interesting. Especially if I get a certificate I can frame and hang on the wall :rofl:

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:41 pm

I signed up. Coursera is a hell of a good resource for taking these kinds of classes. I'm sure this will be good too
Boldly going nowhere

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:28 pm

Well thanks. I've just read this and enrolled. And am sitting here being surprised at noticing this before the course was over.... or for that matter even begun. :lol: The site says it begins in 9 hours.

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: The only bad zombie movie is an unwatched zombie movie...(& American Zombie, Dead Country, Zombiez, Dead Clowns....)

Post by Chicago Zombie » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 pm

There was a lot of useful information in the course. Of course a lot of it might be a review for many ZSers, but there was new stuff to learn too. It makes you really take a look at specifics for your plans. And if I remember correctly, you get to hear about others' plans. I read plans from people outside the US. Very interesting!
The certificate was a bonus too. :wink:

I took this course about 2 years ago, so things might have changed. When I took it before you could still sign up for the course weeks in & still end up with full credit because there wasn't time limits on quizzes. I'm not even sure if there are quizzes anymore...

I guess I'll sign up right now too just to check it out.
Oh! You can do that too- sign up for the free video lectures but not do the assignment.

So you all "in class".
ZSC:020 Chapter Officer. IL, WI, or IN resident? Please stop by the ZSC:020 Chicagoland Forum!
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks
"You can't always decide what happens to you, but you can decide how you react."

NapalmMan67

Post by NapalmMan67 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Is this a study on your own time line format or you have to be logged in at certain times to participate?

And now that I actually read all the posts, I see CZ answered that for me I believe. DOH!

Always have a buddy and a backup plan!

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:21 am

This sounds interesting. I'll give it a shot. Knowledge is always worth the weight.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:39 am

Thanks again for this info, CZ.
Last edited by zombiepreparation on Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:36 am

:!: I've signed up for the 'free' course, been confirmed by email, the site says I'm confirmed and the course is now already going on.... and nothing I am clicking at the site or in any email will allow me access to the course without paying.

:?: :?: Anybody have any ideas?

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Chicago Zombie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:54 am

For some reason it's still showing me that the course hasn't started yet...

There IS an option for people to pay for many of the courses through a verified program that allows you to get college credit. I've taken many of Coursera's free courses, never paid for the college credit option though.

(Don't press the Verified Certificate button, that's the one where you can earn college credit.)
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Chicago Zombie » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Ok, I can get into the course now.
The course has officially started!

I took a quick look through & it seems to be set up the same way- like when I took the course.
There are quizzes, but their due date is March.
It is go at your own pace, especially since the weekly quizzes aren't due until March.
There is one assignment, to write down your disaster preparedness plans & then to review other students plans.
Enjoy! :D
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks

zombiepreparation

Post by zombiepreparation » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:23 pm

Okay. And this morning after reading your post I have gone there and am able to open the course too. Thx.

wulfen

Post by wulfen » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:26 pm

I signed up for it, I've used Coursera before and had good experiences.

Chicago Zombie
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by Chicago Zombie » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:24 am

I received the official email today that the course has started. This is the third run of this course.

If you happen to stumble upon this thread weeks from now, it will not be too late to register. The deadlines for class work looks to be in March.
The class work is only optional (if you don't want a certificate of participation*). You can even sign up for this course just to watch a few of the lectures.
Free knowledge is Great!

And another thought, since the assignment is to have your personal preparedness plans written down, it might be a good way to be able to discuss emergency plans with family members who haven't wanted to listen before. ....but it's school work! :wink:

*The certificate of participation/achievement is different than that verified/pay for credit certificate.
CERT & RACES member.
ZS Hall of Fame!
ZS Wiki
Free Prepper Ebooks

Davo

Post by Davo » Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:02 am

Looks good; Mrs.Davo and I are taking it.
Image Image

WY_Not

Post by WY_Not » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:56 pm

Found the course elsewhere but I'm in it.

WY_Not
aka Joseph Hodge

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”