Personal experience in planning a prepper convention?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AnonEmous

Personal experience in planning a prepper convention?

Post by AnonEmous » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:50 pm

Background:
This weekend I attended my first gun show with a friend. I was more interested in the preparedness aspect of what was offered and this has increased my interest in organizing a similar event with more of a preparedness focus.

I have heard about "prepper conventions" but have not had an opportunity to attend one. I reside in the Washington D.C. area, which is where I and some business partners are considering steps to hold a prepper convention (most probably in northern Virginia). Since we are in the initial stages of this planning, I wanted to solicit any experience or insights any members may have had in planning a similar event.

So my questions...

1. How did you find/invite vendors to the convention?
2. How did you estimate attendance?
3. How did you determine what to charge for attendance and for vendors?
4. How did you promote the event?
5. How did you differentiate the prepper convention from other similar events (such as gun shows)?

Any insights, experiences, or other information to keep in mind as we consider pursuing this idea is appreciated.
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Personal experience in planning a prepper convention?

Post by raptor » Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:52 pm

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:10 pm

raptor wrote:Here is a link to one.

https://www.zombiehunters.org/?q=zombiecon

:D
Thank you Raptor. I am aware of ZS's annual zombiecon, but have never attended it either. For the purposes of my post, though, I was thinking more along the lines of an indoor exhibition center with vendors offering and demonstrating their individual items for sale which is open to the public. I have heard about such exhibitions and saw one profiled on TV at one point, but given the interest in emergency preparedness, I have been a bit surprised how hard such events are to find. Subsequently, we are exploring the idea of holding our own prepper exhibition to bring vendors and organizations together with the broader public.

We have taken the very initial steps of finding a venue and every question we ask or get an answer to seems to prompt more questions.

Thanks again for your response.
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

Davo

Post by Davo » Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:38 pm

I haven't organized one, but I've been to two.

The first was a full day of self sufficiency seminars, with maybe 15 small vendor set ups in the hallways, with food, purification and web gear type stuff. I spent no money here, but learned things.

The second was co-located with a gun show; probably 75 vendors of everything from body armor and pre-fabbed bomb shelters to first aid and fresh sprouts kits, with a different 30 minute presentation every hour. I didn't learn much here, but we probably spent $60 on products, plus a snack from the concession bar and the entrance fee. And we had a ZSC:025 lunch meeting nearby that afternoon.

I enjoyed both shows, but I think there's a larger pool of potential attendees for the second - it had a broader appeal than just off-grid living, and probably drew from the gun show crowd.
Image Image

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”