The Human Guinea Pig - A Ramen Noodle Experiment

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

The Human Guinea Pig - A Ramen Noodle Experiment

Post by MacWa77ace » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:58 pm

Today, right now actually, I am eating a packet of Ramen Noodles who's 'Best Used By' date is 5/19/2011. These were stored in a cool dry pantry in their original packaging.

Reading the ingredients and looking for things like eggs or oils I don't really see any. Those would be the things that might go rancid. The trick to reading an ingredients list is that the list is in order of quantity or in other words what there is the most of in the package. Ramen Noodles first listed ingredient is Salt. One packet, 2 servings, total 1660 mgs of salt. The list goes on and I see there is powdered chicken and a warning that it 'may' contain wheat, soy and Milk ingredients.

My initial thoughts is that this is stale. The noodles taste like pantry, if I could imagine eating the pantry itself. But I haven't eaten Ramen Noodles since 2011 probably so maybe this is the way they taste. The broth is fine. I prepared it by filling a paper bowl with the hot water from a bottled water dispenser we have here at work. Then put in the 'brick' of noodles and poured the chicken flavoring around and on top and let sit for about 5 minutes. Stirred with a plastic fork added a little more water and nuked for another minute.

Initially I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it because of the taste, so I would just test it with a couple bites for toxicity, but I'm getting pretty far thru this stuff. My stomach feels kind of weird but maybe that's just being nervous about this experiment. Looks like the noodles are almost gone now and have about a half bowl of broth left. I'll probably finish it, 1660 mg of sodium and all. The taste is less than par.

Anyhow, if you don't hear back from me, 'its been real'. But I'll post any adverse effects if I'm able. If this goes well I've got 5 more packets left that I could spread out over the next 5 years to see if they last 8 years. Blechhh. :mrgreen:
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Re: The Human Guinea Pig - A Ramen Noodle Experiment

Post by Boondock » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:14 pm

You'll be fine. :wink:

Halfapint
Favorite Zombie Movies: all?

Post by Halfapint » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:22 pm

I gotta say;
MacWa77ace wrote:My initial thoughts is that this is stale. The noodles taste like pantry, if I could imagine eating the pantry itself.
made me giggle like a little girl because it's so true. Ramen noodles do taste like where they've been stored.

Living for a few years in Chinatown really made me fond for ramen. There are some really REALLY good tasting ramen that can be dressed up really well. That said, the normal ramen that we all had when we were poor collage students...... suck.
JeeperCreeper wrote:I like huge dicks, Halfapint, so you are OK in my book.... hahaha
Spazzy wrote:Tell ya what... If Zombies attack and the world ends I'll hook tandem toddlers to a plow if it means I'll be able to eat...

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm sure you will be fine.....

Darkhunter

Post by Darkhunter » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:55 pm

I've been clearing away a twelve pack of ramen for the last few months that is from 2012. Not bad and still seems "ok" by ramen standards. It can be done.

manowar1313

Post by manowar1313 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:08 pm

Hmmm... My mom has cans from the 90's that she claims are still good. She doesn't prep, just won't throw things out.
Anyone wanting to talk sh*t about my guns needs to remember I'm holding a gun.

Snyper708

Post by Snyper708 » Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:10 am

I eat Ramen all the time when I want something fast and hot

I boil the noodles for 3 minutes, then stir in a couple of eggs, a good dose of Sriracha sauce and a few drops of Sesame oil. It ends up tasting like Egg Drop Soup with noodles

If I'm really hungry, I will add some cheese too

If you don't want the salt, don't add the flavoring packet

MacWa77ace
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Omega Man, I Am Legend, Dawn of the Dead v1974.

Post by MacWa77ace » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:33 am

10 O'clock an all is well.

I did a little recon work last night and stopped into my local grocery store. I wanted to see how far out the 'Best When Used By' date was on the new stuff you buy.

There were two brands to choose from, Nissin and Maruchan, both were priced at 3/$4, which gives you 36 servings or 18 packs for $4.

Anyhow the Nissin's BWUBD was 12 months out. The Maruchan was 18 months out. That means that the stuff I ate was probably made in 11/2010 so well over 4 1/2 years old.

Conclusion:
At 4 1/2 years old, stored in their original packaging in a cool dry pantry, the Maruchen Ramen Noodles are edible. The noodles absorbed some of their surrounding environment flavors and/or tasted stale, the broth tasted fine. There was no testing for nutritional value either from a control group of new noodles or the aged group. No adverse effects were generated. YMMV.

I have 5 more packs that I will test over the next 5 years, unless there is a Zombie outbreak and they get used before that.

STAY TUNED!

I found some of that cheap mac and cheese in a box who's best when used by date is 7/11. 6 boxes stored in the same pantry with no special storage preps applied. And I made some hard tac this year but that won't be ready for testing for a decade or so.
manowar1313 wrote:Hmmm... My mom has cans from the 90's that she claims are still good. She doesn't prep, just won't throw things out.
Are you volunteering to be a 'Human Guinea Pig' and post your tests here? :mrgreen:

I think as long as the can isn't swollen, the food would be edible. But certain vitamins and minerals that were in the can when first packaged would be long gone, so some nutritional value would be gone. Also the slight oxidation that would occur would effect the taste. Another concern is if the liner in the can has deteriorated and leached metals or chemicals into the food. But that would not be a concern if it was a scenario where it was that or starvation.
Lifetime gamer watch at:
MacWa77ace YouTube Channel

Stercutus

Post by Stercutus » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:04 pm

Ramen noodles are wheat flour, salt, water, and kansui. There is no reason to think that they won't last near forever.
You go 'round and around it
You go over and under
I go through

Barnabus

Post by Barnabus » Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:47 pm

I have Ramen for lunch about twice a week. I work in an office, with just a microwave to use. I nuke a cup of water for 3 minutes to get it to boiling temps, with a bouillon cube in it. Then pour that over the bowl of crushed noodles (I never cook it as a brick) , place back in for another 3 minutes, then add the flavor pack for more intense flavor.
"If you are prepared for a shambling horde of walking corpses that are trying to eat you alive, you will be prepared for just about anything."

AS556
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead ('04),28 Days Later,Shaun of the Dead,Zombieland

Post by AS556 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:10 pm

I'm a ramen whore. Cheap food = MOAR AMMO

JRR

Post by JRR » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:44 pm

I had some ramen earlier this year from 2009. It tasted pretty shitty, but it didn't make me sick. Just stale tasting.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”