Moving with food preps...

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

hightecrebel
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Moving with food preps...

Post by hightecrebel » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:48 am

Hey everybody. Been a while since I was able to post on here, been lurking though. I've run in to that wonderful point where I've either paid off or am about to pay off the vast majority of my debt, reestablished an emergency fund, and can now look at some actual long term storage. Before jumping into this half-blind, I figured I'd check with everybody and see if anyone already knows the answers I can't find.

First, to set up the background since I've been away for awhile: I'm in the Air Force, so we don't really have a forever home. It's myself, my wife, and my two kids (~1yr and ~2yr). We move more or less every three to six years, so I can't store too much at a time. I'm looking at having maybe four months worth of long-term storage preps. Not the buy-it-and-forget-it kind, I'll be rotating them in our normal food preps (~3 months, depending on how many growth spurts my kids hit), but slowly. I'm running into issues with food planning much like I did with water. I'd love to have a couple 55gal drums, but I'll be moving too often to make it feasible, so I have ~1.5 months worth of water stored in 2L bottles, and a WaterBOB for the bathtub JIC. Already planning on some new water containers. My questions are as follows:

1. What are the easiest storage methods you've found to open and use over time (say, three to six weeks)? I'm looking at a compare/contrast of mylar/#10/shifted to other container, that kind of thing. Already been warned on the type of scoops to avoid with fine powders, but now looking for ease of use over time. Also, any experience you've had with things that don't last too well after being opened would be appreciated

2. What are the easiest to pack up/transport? If you've had the moving experience, all the better, but I'll go with camping experience or whatever that you can help me work through it. I know mylar bags can be kept in 5 gal buckets, but those get rather heavy when full of 5 gallons of salt or sugar or what have you, don't they?

3. What holds up to said moving better? Any tricks/techniques for helping stuff survive better?

4. What should I completely avoid in this case?

5. Any logistical issues I haven't thought of to take into account?

edited because: I started a post while tired, morphed it into something else, and forgot to change the title. Yeah, it's just been one of those years.
He who laughs last, thinks fastest

TacAir

Re: Moving with food preps...

Post by TacAir » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:46 am

Been there, done that, have the (retired) tshirt.

Issue 1 - weight. Storage may be an issue if you are assigned to a upstairs unit in a multistory building.
55 gallon x 8 pounds - too much weight. When you move, you'll hit your weight limit pretty fast, usually before you start lugging out 5 gallon buckets of dried beans and rice. Weight is figured on actual weight OR volume. Talk with the folks at TMO.

Issue 2 - Movers. I moved a lot, and every time the packers seemed to be nearly sober rummys picked up at the local bar, When, not if, they drop your 5 gallon bucket and your preps go all over the street...or you get to the your destination and are told - "Ya, a lot of that stuff got broken up/lost. Sucks t be you, file a claim." So, how you get back the value of your preps when you file for a loss. If you DIY move, not so much an issue.

Issue 3 - storage conditions. Food stores best in a cool dark place - will your new quarters even have the space, let alone the cool dark place?

That said, you can have some food preps, but don't forget you will need water and fuel to cook much of your food. I went with (vendor redacted) dehydrated food, shooting for a 90 days supply. Backed up with extra canned food, it's possible. Consider buying in the smaller cans, #10 cans are easy to damage even if boxed well when getting slammed around by the 'professional movers' used by Uncle Sugar.
Packing your own stuff will go along way to keeping what you already own intact.
Good luck.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

Zimmy
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days later, Return of the Living Dead

Post by Zimmy » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:09 pm

Just a thought,

But if you dump out all your water containers you should be able to refill them when they get to your destination. That will eliminate tons of weight and shipping costs.

Another idea might be using one of the shipping pods from pods.com (or similar) just for your preps to keep the nosy neighbors out of your business. It'll cost a little extra, but not more than civvies pay since Uncle Sam ships the bulk of your goods.
Boldly going nowhere

IceWing
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by IceWing » Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:21 pm

One thing I would think about is, during your assignments, are you looking for properties in the area?

If you can get cheap housing while you're there, and fix it up, then rent it to the next soldier when you rotate out, then you may be able to set yourself up fairly well.

Additionally, you could be looking at the surround areas in order to find cheap BOL. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have the option of flying on military transport with your family for free?

Ice

Edit: And, also... Thank you for your service.
Horatio_Tyllis wrote:Raptor, for the 20th time, I will NOT feed congress to the lizard queen. Stop asking.
"It's fuzzy headed liberal thinking like that that gets people eaten." - Ironbear

2now

Post by 2now » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:29 am

I have moved with preps way too many times.

The 5 gallon sealed buckets travel well, stack well, are easy to move w/o help. So I would go with a few of those.

wow no cusor makes it hard to edit and correct posts!
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

KYZHunters

Post by KYZHunters » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:41 am

Don't forget the DITY move. Even when I didn't haul a trailer I'd sign up for DITY and weigh my vehicle with an empty gas tank, load it, fuel it and weigh it on the way out of town and get paid by the mile to drive the stuff I was going to drive anyway. With a trailer I've even moved cinder blocks...they were my damn cinder blocks.
crypto wrote:It's not that you were being "harsh" so much as a "douchebag".

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:46 am

Zimmy wrote:Just a thought,

But if you dump out all your water containers you should be able to refill them when they get to your destination. That will eliminate tons of weight and shipping costs.
I was thinking this - even use them to move stuff in, put the food prep inside?

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”