ZPAW Quick & Easy Ghillie

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

ZPAW Quick & Easy Ghillie

Post by angelofwar » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:08 pm

Alright, for those of you who have read my other stuff, you know that I'm a fan of quick/easy/effective solutions...in an event, yer not going to have the time, and/or resources to do a "professional job", so I look for ways to get quick/cheap/effective results. So, this is my take on a quick and effective ghillie suit. This isn't something your going to take on a 12 month tour to Iraq...this is a SHTF, I need something to hide in SOON, maybe to post as a sentry/look-out for your BOL location, or to evade untrained marauders.

So, I used an old Woodland BDU shirt, and a 24' roll of burlap I picked up for $12. The trick to making this process "expedited" is to do it with the mindset that you need to make hundreds of them. So, I sprayed a simple striped pattern of darker browns and a light green splotches, to mimick light on green vegetation (I would have done some stripes of OD but am out at the moment). Instead of cutting 100's of strips of clothes, I made "plates" of strips, to cut down on the assembly time.One strip of hot glue per plate. All in all, what's on the coat now, took roughly 20 minutes of spraying/cutting/glueing. Will finish the coat tomorrow and try to start on some pants. This is cheaper can can be more effective, in certain locals/situations, than say a real tree jacket or conventional military camo.

First, spray some stripes onto the burlap:

Then, mentally space it into say 1 foot tall strips, and cut, leaving a border of roughly 2"-3" for attaching it:

20 minutes of spraying/cutting/gluing...voila!

This will be my brown/fall/grassland one, and I plan on making a greener one for pine/spring/summer green locales.

Will finish up the blouse tomorrow and start working on some pants as well...

Thoughts/opinions? Again, this is not a professional one...I know that, it's not meant to be. It's meant to be simple, cheap, fast, easy to replicate and remember.

Thanks for checking it out!

AOW
Last edited by angelofwar on Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

mbaz73
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead '78
Dawn of the Dead '04
28 Days Later - although not technically a zombie movie

Re: ZPAW Quick & Easy Ghillie

Post by mbaz73 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:51 pm

angelofwar wrote: It's meant to be simple, cheap, fast, easy to replicate and remember.
Great job, I think you hit the mark! :clap: Thanks for sharing!

Baz
BLOG | YOUTUBE

11 Bravo
"If the enemy is in range, so are you."
"If your attack is going too well, you’re walking into an ambush."
"Try to look unimportant; they may be low on ammo."
- Infantry Journal

AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Post by raptor » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:40 pm

That is great! Thanks for sharing!

FrankisSteezy
Favorite Zombie Movies: Resident Evil Series, The Walking Dead, Pretty much all of them

Post by FrankisSteezy » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:38 pm

great post. i got some ideas of my own now.
Zombie Exterminator

angelofwar
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Walking Dead, I Am Legend

Post by angelofwar » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:02 pm

Thanks for the comments guys, and glad it gave ya some inspiration FrankisSteezy! I know it can't suck too bad if Raptor left a positive comment!

Took some pics outside, and then finally grabbed a can of OD (I keep at least two cans of the 4 camo colors for impromptu camoing in the ZPAW, etc.)

Some outdoors pics, this one half sun/half shade (Sorry, don't have a lot of grassland in my yard to properly test it :0))

An all shade one (remember, it doesn't haven't to look like grass, it just has to NOT look like a human...)

Now here's a few with some "dry" areas patched up, and some OD stripes added, and shown next to some conventional camo schemes.

Need to cut some small strips for the collar

Next to some real tree

Fuzzy pic next to some Woodland camo

And next to 3 color desert

Will try to get some "in the field" pics tomorrow when me and a bud scout a hunting spot for squirrels.
"The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts..."
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... w#p2141127

KentsOkay
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead

Post by KentsOkay » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:14 am

Looks awesome! I would go for more jagged edges, break up your outline a bit.
0122358 wrote:so we moved a thread to maintain OPSEC on a fictional vid game so our team doesnt get kill as easily by possible spies...fuckin sweet

Unofficial FB for ZSC XXX http://www.facebook.com/groups/156431031119773

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”