$1,000 in preps?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Buggsymalone

Re: $1,000 in preps?

Post by Buggsymalone » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:45 pm

Why do you want a ccw permit?

I'm from NW Chicago suburbs so I know that this is "all the rage" right now. From my POV, in a REAL SHTF situation, I think I'll be ok without a permit. If people begin shooting at me on my way to my BOL in WI, that means there will be shooting going on all over the place and I highly doubt that I will have to worry about getting questioned about it especially since I'll be far off the beaten path.

On the other hand, if you are subject to potentially dangerous areas or situations due to your job, such as installing cable TV in communities known for crime, get your permit and pack heat. I suggest something with some punch, .357 mag, .44 mag, .45, in a revolver. Revolvers don't jam.

I don't know what crime is like in your area, but it can't possibly be worse than it is in Chicago right now. I'm downtown twice a week and not in very good neighborhoods. Nothing makes you feel like packing a piece like cruising down south Cicero at 8pm in July.

At this point I'll take my chances unarmed and see if more law abiding citizens packing has an impact on the local crime. I have much more important things to consider than the the legalities of carrying while SHTF.

I'd spend the money on
Ammo
Silver/gold
Food

Just my 2c. Feel free to tell me I got it all wrong :?

MPMalloy
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by MPMalloy » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:20 pm

Hey Everyone:

I would put more into food/water first. You can't eat your gun. You have a gun right now. .22LR is not the best option, but it will do a basic job. How do your financials look?

Odinsown

dtwn92
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Post by dtwn92 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:07 am

Great thread.

I guess I'm in the boat of why do you need a CCW and why would you pay that much right off the bat.

The gun you want is great but there are many others out there cheaper, that will do the same job.

You have a solid start and a leg up on many others don't drop all the extra you have into one item.
View my FAK and My Tactical Facebook page.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
"Our problems are man-made therefore they may be solved by man and man can be as big as he wants. No problem of human destiny is beyond human beings."
John F. Kennedy

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:56 am

Honestly I have been a gun owner and prepper for over a decade, but I got a CHL about 4 years ago (just renewed my license) and it was the best decision I ever made, for my set of circumstances.

I live in PA and the its basically $35 to get a CHL here with no requirement for training (which I actually wish they had). I'm not one of these advocates for carrying a full sized pistol, with 4 mags and a BUG 24/7. I mostly carry a pocket .380 at work, because I go thru some bad neighborhoods to get here. I carry when I need to go into Philly or other bad neighborhood outside of work. I also carry the .380 or my .40 S&W shield when I go shooting at the range and when I go hiking and camping. That is about it.

However I am a middle aged guy, who while not rich I have money to get things without it hurting the family expenses. Also being older I think it make you more of a target, since I cannot fistfight as well as I use to and I dress like someone's dad, not like a scary street hood or biker.

In terms of SHTF, I like that I have an OPTION if things get bad. Sure if it a ETOW or a bad "no law enforcement" having a permit is not going to matter, but seriously, what are the odd of that. For me I like being able to carry a gun if the SHTF but law enforcement still exist or is only temporarily suspended. Sure all hell broke loose, but if you are carrying a gun without a permit and get stopped by a cop...its a felony. If you shoot someone in self defense outside of your house, regardless what is going on at the time, you are going to get dinged for carrying that gun without a permit. Trust me it was the Wild west during Katrina, but afterward detectives were out doing shooting investigations.

Beyond disaster SHTF stuff what about regular day SHTF stuff; Some crazy neighbor or ex threatens you or someone in your family. Maybe you hear screaming down the street, and your neighbor runs out of her house after someone broke in and assaulted her and you go to assist her before the cops arrive. A legal CCW give you that option to walk around with a gun in your pocket legally.

I would not put yourself in money problems to get a carry permit. I would also not waste your money on getting an AR, buying gold(unless the price goes back below $400 where it should be), and other nonsense. If you have the money and it doesn't hurt the family then get whatever floats your boat. Also I would avoid getting a full sized expensive pistol for concealed carry. Going with a Hi-point while cheaper is also not very CCW friendly. Personally I would look at a Bersa, a Kel Tec or a Ruger LC9, something that is inexpensive yet easy to carry.

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:42 am

Mikeyboy wrote:Honestly I have been a gun owner and prepper for over a decade, but I got a CHL about 4 years ago (just renewed my license) and it was the best decision I ever made, for my set of circumstances.

I live in PA and the its basically $35 to get a CHL here with no requirement for training (which I actually wish they had). I'm not one of these advocates for carrying a full sized pistol, with 4 mags and a BUG 24/7. I mostly carry a pocket .380 at work, because I go thru some bad neighborhoods to get here. I carry when I need to go into Philly or other bad neighborhood outside of work. I also carry the .380 or my .40 S&W shield when I go shooting at the range and when I go hiking and camping. That is about it.

However I am a middle aged guy, who while not rich I have money to get things without it hurting the family expenses. Also being older I think it make you more of a target, since I cannot fistfight as well as I use to and I dress like someone's dad, not like a scary street hood or biker.

In terms of SHTF, I like that I have an OPTION if things get bad. Sure if it a ETOW or a bad "no law enforcement" having a permit is not going to matter, but seriously, what are the odd of that. For me I like being able to carry a gun if the SHTF but law enforcement still exist or is only temporarily suspended. Sure all hell broke loose, but if you are carrying a gun without a permit and get stopped by a cop...its a felony. If you shoot someone in self defense outside of your house, regardless what is going on at the time, you are going to get dinged for carrying that gun without a permit. Trust me it was the Wild west during Katrina, but afterward detectives were out doing shooting investigations.

Beyond disaster SHTF stuff what about regular day SHTF stuff; Some crazy neighbor or ex threatens you or someone in your family. Maybe you hear screaming down the street, and your neighbor runs out of her house after someone broke in and assaulted her and you go to assist her before the cops arrive. A legal CCW give you that option to walk around with a gun in your pocket legally.

I would not put yourself in money problems to get a carry permit. I would also not waste your money on getting an AR, buying gold(unless the price goes back below $400 where it should be), and other nonsense. If you have the money and it doesn't hurt the family then get whatever floats your boat. Also I would avoid getting a full sized expensive pistol for concealed carry. Going with a Hi-point while cheaper is also not very CCW friendly. Personally I would look at a Bersa, a Kel Tec or a Ruger LC9, something that is inexpensive yet easy to carry.
This sounds like pretty reasonable advice. :)
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:58 am

Thinking more about this thread, with $1K, I could build an epic, three-season ultralight BOB.

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:44 am

Boondock wrote:Thinking more about this thread, with $1K, I could build an epic, three-season ultralight BOB.
For the OP a guy on a tight budget, who doesn't already hike and camp its probably not a great idea.

But for you and I...I already have a gear list forming in my head :awesome:

The funny thing is going all ultralight I could easily blow $1K on just the backpack, the shelter and the sleeping bag.

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:28 pm

Once again, I appreciate all the input, and please do keep posting suggestions.

I've just reread all the suggestions, and think there are a LOT of good ideas in here. Keep 'em coming! :D

Boondock
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Boondock » Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Mikeyboy wrote:But for you and I...I already have a gear list forming ... I could easily blow $1K on just the backpack, the shelter and the sleeping bag.
Yup.

stabbedmyface
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie strippers

Post by stabbedmyface » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:27 pm

With a grand I would get a tomohawk from rmj tactical and the razor knife from skallywag tactical. These are awesome blades that can b used for survival and defense.

2now

Post by 2now » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:29 pm

I will weigh in with a thumbs up for a CCW. Perhaps not CCW for a specific state.

A CCW does make it easier to show someone in authority quickly that you are a good guy who pays attention to the details and legal realities.

There is point in civilization where most people do not feel the need to be armed. There is a lack of civilization where no one cares if you are armed. There is a large grey zone between those 2 extremes when it is great to have your CCW. We can travel through that grey zone in a matter of hours, but I expect it more likely to take days at least. It could take years.

Think about something like Katirna. You drive out or the affected area, and end up finding a hotel in a small city that is full to the brim with people also fleeing a problem. Do you want your CCW with you in your hotel? How about if you go out, in a strange city to get food for yrou family, late at night?

FLA or Utah CCW covers you for dozens of states. my question for you would be if you left you home, what state are you most likely to be living in a motel room [or worse yet your car] for 5-10 days til things get straightened out? Get a permit that will be good there.

IF things got so bad that you wanted to carry, it would be good to know that there were states where you could already do so. I see this as happening in a chronic rather than an acute crisis. But chronic problems can sometimes present quickly.

But get a gun that you can and will carry. I am not up to speed with the current gun costs, but I second the advice of looking at some of the small ket-tecs, ruguers, or the like. Since you are not talking about regular daily carry, get something you can carry easily with your current wardrobe.
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:53 pm

Lynn LeFey wrote:Please keep responses to what you'd do ASIDE from putting it toward CCW. I don't need someone to say 'yeah, but when you NEED a self-defense firearm...'. That's a topic for another discussion.
Please note this statement in the original post.

I did NOT start this to get a lot of 'why you need to CCW' info.

This is STRICTLY about what you'd do with $1000 aside from getting CCW. I hope we can stay on course here. Thanks.

2now

Post by 2now » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:56 pm

OK, I think I might have misunderstood the OP.
I still think a CCW is a good idea, but I think you can get 80% of the benefit for 50% of the cost. Get a $250 pocket pistol, another $50 in accessories, and a FLA permit. Assuming you can't find a cheaper option and take the same class you still have suggested, you still have about $350 to play with.

Get a big berkey filter. They are between $200 and $150 [we got our 2nd one for $80 NIB on shopgoodwill.com, but that was a couple of years ago]. I've used mine for since before Y2K, on the counter daily. My kids can taste the difference. I like to have a couple of largish water containers around, $2-3 each at WalMart. Lets say $250 for a berkey, shipping and handling, sales tax and some back up water jugs.

(BTW if you want to use it daily, with tap water, only put 2 of the candle filters in the filter. Keep the other 2 as spares, keep them in the shipping box. If you bug out [or simply move] put your berkey back in it's box. It travels much better that way.)

you've got $100 left...got your HAM ticket yet? One club I belonged to gave any new tech who did not have the case a free 2M HT. Sure they were old, or did not have all the latest bells and whistles, but the whole club supported the activity and really wanted to make it easy for new Hams to get on the air. So get a "Ham Radio License Manual Revised 2nd Edition" - $30

once you get your ticket if you do not get a radio just for joining as a free gift, get a Baofeng radio for less than your remaining cash [~$50]. The remaining $20-$25 can off set you incidental costs like gas parking and pizza.

I have been told by someone who did it, that someone who's home has been destroyed and shows up at a FEMA center...with a 2M rig and a HAM ticket is immediately a rescuer, never a refugee. YMMV
I am a lawyer but I am not YOUR lawyer.

therianthrope
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead

Post by therianthrope » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:29 am

$1,000 dollars is a lot. Starting your prepping with a pistol and CCW is ill-advised in my opinion. Why? Because you could just get a serviceable shotgun (and hunter safety class if you're not familiar with the handling and maintenance of a long-arm), with which you can secure food AND protect you and yours and what you have. Multi-purpose items and redundancy are a preppers friend.

With 1K, you could shore up basic emergency water security, emergency food, and medical.

Shotgun:
Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 = ~$400 (could probably find one for less, used, from a private seller)

Water Security:
2 or 3, 7 gallon BPA-free, spigot water containers = $35-50
Katadyn Base Camp (gravity fed, cleanable water filter) = $80
Redundant Water Security (tablets, iodine, UV wand) = $25 - 100
So let's call water ~$150

Food: (also another water redundancy, i.e. boiling)
Camp Stove = $10 (for a solid fuel, "pocket" stove) - 100+ (for the fancy ones)
Fire/Heat reduncancy (zippo + fuel, water-proof matches, cotton balls and vaseline) = ~$20
Mess Kit = $10 - 30
Your choice of food-stuffs = $100 - 200 depending on how long your prepping for and with what (canned food, MREs, etc.)
So let's call food ~$275

Medical: $100+ depending if you want to assemble your own kit or buy a pre-made one.

and you still have ~$75 to play with for ammo and miscellanea.

Not to mention all of this stuff is useable in a practical and regular fashion if you and your family ever go camping and/or want to get into game hunting.

That's just my $0.02

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Please read the whole thread before posting. Several posters are suggesting stuff OP already has covered.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

therianthrope
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dead Alive, Cemetery Man, Evil Dead

Post by therianthrope » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:43 pm

I did read the whole thread. Didn't realize it was unacceptable to answer with my take on specifics.

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 pm

therianthrope wrote:I did read the whole thread. Didn't realize it was unacceptable to answer with my take on specifics.
Wasn't directed at you, but if you feel like you need to defend your post you're welcome to.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Mikeyboy

Post by Mikeyboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:02 pm

Lynn LeFey wrote:First, I'm an Illinois resident, and considering getting CCW license and firearm. The cost of that is...

Illinois CCW permit (Resident): $150
Firearm (approx.): $600 (Most likely S&W M&P Compact 9mm)
CCW Class (16 hours): $324

Possible additional...
Florida CCW (non-resident): $112

The 16 hours of class would have already covered the training required for Florida CCW, so the additional $112 would allow us to CCW in a much larger area, and with family in TX and FL, there's a likelihood of travel to those locations.

The question here isn't SHOULD I get CCW, it's 'what might that $1000 be better put toward'? $1000 is not an inconsequential chunk of money. 'Emergency Essentials' has 1-month food supplies of dehydrated food for $300. At about a dollar a can, I could buy cases and cases of food from ALDI. I could get water, water filters, medical supplies.

For that matter, I could get a Hi-Point 9mm pistol for home defense. And ammo for a couple hundred bucks, and STILL have $800 for preps. I could get that, AND a low-cost shotgun. I could get the Hi-Point, a shotgun, AND a Ruger 10/22, with money to spare.

I could probably assemble 2 pretty good BOBs for that cost. I could buy a really good Bicycle. Maybe 2 good ones. Excellent hiking boots. A generator. I could keep it all in cash on me for any number of emergencies.

Please keep responses to what you'd do ASIDE from putting it toward CCW. I don't need someone to say 'yeah, but when you NEED a self-defense firearm...'. That's a topic for another discussion.

So, what would you do with $1000 for preps?
Lynn LeFey wrote:
Lynn LeFey wrote:Please keep responses to what you'd do ASIDE from putting it toward CCW. I don't need someone to say 'yeah, but when you NEED a self-defense firearm...'. That's a topic for another discussion.
Please note this statement in the original post.

I did NOT start this to get a lot of 'why you need to CCW' info.

This is STRICTLY about what you'd do with $1000 aside from getting CCW. I hope we can stay on course here. Thanks.

OK that said then do this

Take the $300 and buy the "questionable" Emergency Essentials one month supply of food, that may or may not taste like vomit. Hey how long is the shelf life of the emergency essential food? According to the website they are not sure, but they assume/hope its Provident Pantry #10 cans have about the same 25 year shelf life as Mountain House #10 cans. Perhaps you are just better off getting $300 in #10 mountain house cans
http://beprepared.com/education/shelf-life" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Buy a large plastic storage bin and inside it put the following;
a small camp stove, 4 fuel tanks, a metal cup and a spork

a good first aid kit and a emergency radio

an LED Lantern, headlamp and flashlight, with a supply of batteries.

3 pack bic lighters, a Swedish fire steel, a Mora knife, a Jansport backpack.

Then next to the storage bin, get 5 cases of bottled water

You should be able to get that all together for $500.

Then take the other $500 and do the following

If you have lots of bills, pay down your debt.
If you don't like your job, spend it on some schooling or a some sort of certification to get a better job.
If you have a wife and kids, spend it on them or take a vacation.
Or just put it in the bank.

You want to buy hiking boots, but do you hike?
You want to by a bicycle but do you bike a lot?
You want to build two BOBs so that you can what, take a picture of yourself wearing it then throw it in the closet where it will collect dust.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:31 pm

IMO, $1k is easy to spend. Consider this the next phase in your preps, not the end. Spread out the funds on several potential scenarios. GHB, BOB, Bug in kit, etc. Stick to basics like food, water, medical and quality personal preps (boots, outdoor clothing, flashlights, Leatherman, etc).

-I suggest you go with the pistol you have and add a budget rifle. For as little as $200-$250 at Walmart you can get a new rifle in anything from .22lr up to 30.06. Used won't be much cheaper. Iron sights are fine or a budget optic. A few boxes of ammo and some range time to practice and become proficient. Classes would be even better.
-Expand food and medical supplies. Purchase some food storage solutions like good 5-6 gal buckets and Omega lids. Mylar bags, desiccants, etc. Bags of rice, beans, canned meats, veggies. I don't stock dried food. I have some for backpacks and car bags, but that's it. They are the most expensive, least nutritious and worst tasting of the storage types (IMO).
-Add some bulk multi-vitamins and other OTC meds; Ibuprofen, Neosporin, etc.
-Quality water filter like a Berkey. Various size water storage containers, including some 5 gals.
-Packs of batteries, TP and other expendables
-Portable kerosene heater and some fuel.
-Start a garden, or better yet a garden and a small green house.
-Canning supplies (for your garden goods)
-Hand tools for garden, car and home repair.
-Quality printed maps, compasses, cheap 7x50 binocs for each bag, good flashlights, decent knives, axe, bow saws, etc.
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

RachelBB

Post by RachelBB » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:54 pm

You haven't mentioned your financial status, and I don't blame you for not going into detail on line. But, if you don't already have at least a thousand dollar emergency fund, use the money for that. It's amazing how many fewer "emergencies" you have once you have that money stashed away!

I've realized I've said "we'd be fine if the power stayed on" a few different times this month. So, in my case, that money would go toward a generator. Probably wouldn't be enough for what I want, but I could use it as a start, budgeting each month until I could get the model I want.

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:51 am

We have a reasonable cash reserve. Not quite $1000, but near, and reasonable savings. Our finances are pretty stable. As stable as they can be, I think.

I am COMPLETELY with you on that notion of crisis decreasing when you have a decent monetary buffer. While money can't buy you happiness, it can sure make life go a lot more smoothly.

RachelBB

Post by RachelBB » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:38 pm

So have you decided what to get?

Lynn LeFey

Post by Lynn LeFey » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:24 am

Not really, no.

CitizenZ

Post by CitizenZ » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:01 am

A simple way to look at it is to consider your most likely emergency. If it happened today what would you wish you had acquired?
"Victory awaits him who has everything in order, luck people call it. Defeat is certain for him who has neglected to take the necessary precautions in time; this is called bad luck"- The South Pole, Roald Amundsen - 1912

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”