Azstinger's Bike Commute Challenge!

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

azstinger
Favorite Zombie Movies: Z-land or Dawn of the Dead

Azstinger's Bike Commute Challenge!

Post by azstinger » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:30 pm

Hi All,

In an effort to regain former fitness I am starting to bike my work commute. I am inviting all of you to take part in this challenge as well!!! Rules are simple, ride to work, get rewards! Any non powered bike/tricycle etc is welcome to join. This is not an official ZS challenge or anything of the like just a way to get out and be motivated. I have broken down the following miles as my personal rewards, feel free to modify them. Also note I am only counting miles biked when commuting not any others, if you bike to get groceries, run errands, or to work out you can add them as you see fit. Feel free to post results/ask questions/etc. Happy cycling and be safe out there!

Weekly Mileage Goals/Rewards:
Mile 15: Good job, tubby gets a protein bar!
Mile 30: Not too bad, 30 minutes TV watching.
Mile 45: Starting to get the hang of this! No reward other than your own satisfaction :gonk:
Mile 60: You just saved 4 gallons of gasoline or as we say in California $25, get yourself a bag of pretzel M&Ms
Mile 75: Impressive, most impressive. You get a 12oz beer
Mile 90: Don't get cocky kid,1 hour tv watching
Mile 105: Clearly you are developing the legs of an Olympian, Skip a run workout
Mile 120: That's 8 gallons of gasoline or $50!!!!!! You my good sir/madam deserve a Burger!
Mile 135: Lance ain't got nothing on you, 2 hours tv watching.
Mile 150: Next stop Tour De France, grab yourself a bomber of your favorite beer!

Weekly Leader board:
Name/Number of days bike commuting/Mileage/Pace
azstinger/0/0/00mph

All Time Leader board:
Name/Number of days bike commuting/Mileage/Pace
azstinger/0/0/00mph

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Re: Azstinger's Bike Commute Challenge!

Post by maldon007 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:53 pm

In!... though summer is tough, I pick up one of my kids on the bike during the school year and do less now that school is out. Guess I better figure out places I need to go, to ride too then :lol:

(I raise kids for a living, btw)

Caenus
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: the ones where people turn into zombies

Post by Caenus » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:50 pm

Even though cycling is my preferred exercise, Im out. I have 48 miles each way to work.

I ride 60-80 miles a week though.
"If guns kill people, then I can blame mispelled words on my pencil." - Larry the Cable Guy

Check out my Zombie Novels!; Phoenix Rising; ...and the sequel: Through the Ashes

azstinger

Post by azstinger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:34 am

maldon007 wrote:In!... though summer is tough, I pick up one of my kids on the bike during the school year and do less now that school is out. Guess I better figure out places I need to go, to ride too then :lol:

(I raise kids for a living, btw)

That's awesome you bike to pick up the kids!! I'm really trying to bike more places myself, California gas is so expensive and my car sucks for MPG.

ZMace
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by ZMace » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:33 am

I used to bike when I was only 12 miles from work, but it would be damn tough now. I have been wondering how long it would take me to get home in an emergency situation without my truck (this is zombie squad after all), so I might try it.

TN-Shooter
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 Days Later

Post by TN-Shooter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 11:39 am

I live 5 mikes from work. But... No sidewalks on this congested road. I would love to participate. Good idea!
What if everyone was once a zombie but there was a human apocalypse?

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:38 pm

I'm in! I've been biking it to work for a while but I started driving again since temps hit 100. No more excuses now,!

Edit - I'm 18 miles to work and back so it's going to take me some time to rack up miles.

azstinger

Post by azstinger » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:11 pm

When I get home tonight ill update the thread with the current list of people.

It's 16mi each way for me so 32 miles each day. Conveniently my car averages 16mph so its super easy to see how much I'm saving in addition to getting a workout in!

azstinger

Post by azstinger » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:58 am

Just finished my morning commute into work, 17.3 miles, 75 minutes, 13.6mph average

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:51 pm

I'm out as work is a rural paper route 1 day/week ~180 miles in 6 hours, but I wish you all the best and will keep riding for fitness/ recreation.

Good luck everyone.

maldon007
Favorite Zombie Movies: Most of the older stuff, newer stuff just doesnt cut it fsr...

Post by maldon007 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:53 pm

180 miles, in 6 hours? Is that like 30 mph average... That is VERY fast, no? (edit: if I figured it right, the winner of the 2012 Olympic 155 mile road race, averaged 27mph.) but my math could be off in either or both cases :lol:

I did 8 the other day, averaged 12mph, about as fast as I could go (admittedly, I am 45yo. and riding a cheap bike).

Evan the Diplomat
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (2004), Savageland

Post by Evan the Diplomat » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:30 pm

TN-Shooter wrote:I live 5 mikes from work. But... No sidewalks on this congested road. I would love to participate. Good idea!
Sidewalks/schmidewalks. The League of American Cyclists recommend that cyclists ride on the road, in the direction of traffic.
Priests and cannibals, prehistoric animals
Everybody happy as the dead come home

Big black nemesis, parthenogenesis
No-one move a muscle as the dead come home

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:23 pm

Evan the Diplomat wrote:
TN-Shooter wrote:I live 5 mikes from work. But... No sidewalks on this congested road. I would love to participate. Good idea!
Sidewalks/schmidewalks. The League of American Cyclists recommend that cyclists ride on the road, in the direction of traffic.
In most places, it's not legal to ride on sidewalks. Bicycles are considered vehicles by law and must ride on the road either with traffic or, if you're lucky, in a bike lane. There are roads where bikes are not permitted, though, because bikes do not meet minimum speed requirements, so people like my husband who commute on those types of major highways are SOL when it comes to bicycling to work.

I work at home and am allergic to every plant out there, so I have a stationary bike in front of my TV. I am a weakling and only get 3-10 miles a day, though. Kudos to Az and others for pulling 17+ miles. Az, are you doing that both ways or just biking one way each day? If you're doing 35 miles a day, freaking good on ya. Sheez criminy! I think I'd never get there and keel over somewhere along the way. :gonk:
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Skull_Hide
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Fight O

Post by Skull_Hide » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Would love to, but I'm 45 miles from work, and 40 of those miles are I-5 and 205.
My Silnylon Alice pack DIY w/ 1606AF frame Hellcat
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 14&t=81955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sig 1911-22LR pistol
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... 10&t=82581" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my post contains a misplaced/ random word = auto spell is a bitch.

azstinger

Post by azstinger » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Anianna wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:
In most places, it's not legal to ride on sidewalks. Bicycles are considered vehicles by law and must ride on the road either with traffic or, if you're lucky, in a bike lane. There are roads where bikes are not permitted, though, because bikes do not meet minimum speed requirements, so people like my husband who commute on those types of major highways are SOL when it comes to bicycling to work.

I work at home and am allergic to every plant out there, so I have a stationary bike in front of my TV. I am a weakling and only get 3-10 miles a day, though. Kudos to Az and others for pulling 17+ miles. Az, are you doing that both ways or just biking one way each day? If you're doing 35 miles a day, freaking good on ya. Sheez criminy! I think I'd never get there and keel over somewhere along the way. :gonk:

I did go both ways that day, however I think it was a bit too much too soon. I will be commuting one way on my bike then catching the train back. It means I only have 4 miles to ride on the return trip instead of 17.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:46 am

Anianna wrote:
Evan the Diplomat wrote:

Check local laws. This varies wildly even within some states.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

maldon007

Post by maldon007 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:32 pm

In every place I have ridden, cops leave riders alone who are safely riding on sidewalks, regardless of specific laws, but ymmv of course.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:06 pm

maldon007 wrote:In every place I have ridden, cops leave riders alone who are safely riding on sidewalks, regardless of specific laws, but ymmv of course.
Perhaps, but we won't advocate breaking any laws regardless of existing enforcement. :wink:

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:33 pm

Anianna wrote:Bicycles are considered vehicles by law and must ride on the road either with traffic or, if you're lucky, in a bike lane.
Varies by AO. Out here they are not vehicles, they are devices. Riding on sidewalks is legal except where it isn't. Bikes have to follow rules of the road when using it like a vehicle though, which most don't. :?

Be extra careful in bike lanes. Studies have shown that riding in them is more dangerous than riding on the road, but the law usually says you have to use them when present.

Check local maps for bike paths, routes, and lanes and please be doubly careful when using bike lanes.

maldon007

Post by maldon007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:38 pm

Pretty weak rides last week, 1 for 8 miles (long way to gym), 1 for 3 miles (walmart), 11 miles total. Will try to do more this week.

Tater Raider

Post by Tater Raider » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:44 pm

maldon007 wrote:Pretty weak rides last week, 1 for 8 miles (long way to gym), 1 for 3 miles (walmart), 11 miles total. Will try to do more this week.
Not weak at all. I started with 3 mile rides 3 weeks ago (its week 4, day 1). Today I did 6 and my longest scheduled is 18 (30km). In 8 weeks I'm hoping to knock out a metric century.

5 weeks ago I did nothing. Except maybe ask someone to get me something while they were up.

Measure your own progress and take encouragement from that. And keep in mind everyone has off days.

mk_ultra

Post by mk_ultra » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:34 pm

I already commute by bike to work every day . Have been doing so in all weather for over two years . I don't own a car .

Round trip is 14 miles . I do a recreational club ride every Monday as well that is usually 20 to 30 miles . All told I ride a minimum of 100 miles every week .
This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence - Vyvyan

maldon007

Post by maldon007 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:04 pm

Awesome! Wish I was in a position to do something closer to that.

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:20 pm

I read some of this and chide myself for being small and weak, only doing a minimum of 30 miles a week, but I think it does matter what kind of bikes we are riding, too. When my husband and I used to ride together, he was on a ten speed and I was on a cruiser. He could always go longer and faster than I could, but when we switched bikes, he couldn't go as far as I usually did on my own bike and I had the easiest ride of my life. A cruiser is hard to do long distances on, so if you're pulling that kind of distance on a cruiser, I'm in awe. On a better bike, it's still impressive, but at least I don't have to feel so bad about myself not going quite as far. :mrgreen:

∩(=^_^=)

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”