Bug Out Bag Specific Entertainment Items

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Lios
Favorite Zombie Movies: the walking dead

Bug Out Bag Specific Entertainment Items

Post by Lios » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:50 am

Here it is... We are planning for every thing but.....
Did u think about what your going to do if your stuck in a bunker or any other place, once every security is up and you have nothing to do?...

So here is my question..... What game are you planning to play if your stuck waiting in a bunker to help time to passe?... Assuming that you have every thing in your BOB to play that game...
It must be something fun that will last more then 5 minutes before being borded of playing it... and must count more then only you to play...

As for me i could say playing Yatzy or Yum because i always have dices in my BOB and in my car...
Last edited by Lios on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life must be saved at all price.

BigDaddyTX

Re: Boring

Post by BigDaddyTX » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:46 am

A deck of playing cards. So many different games to play. Most take 4 people, some can handle more. Get 2 decks and it opens up the possibilities even further.

http://www.pagat.com/patience/spitemal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That website is great for card games, and that card game in particular is pretty fun.

I also carry dice, but I keep a set of D&D dice for lack of a better term. 1 ea of d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 and d20 at minimum. Anyone who plays will have a lot more than that.. I know I've got 5-6 d20s and more of every other kind, and I don't have that many dice anymore. Print out a few basic pathfinder class sheets and monsters and you've got an instant game. Even better, print out a lot of that crap, and vacuum pack it so you're always ready. (All free on http://www.d20pfsrd.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; )

A PHB and DMG in a waterproof container would be good too, as well as some laminated character sheets so you can write on them all you want and wipe it off later.

Puzzles, hand held games that don't use much battery, lots and lots of books, things for crafts. All cheap, and all things that will pass the time better.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:01 am

Sorry these had no value for you.

erased links
Last edited by ZombieGranny on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Lios

Post by Lios » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:43 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Previous threads that are similar, both from 2012.
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=103573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... =6&t=90476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its not quite the same things... The two topic your talking about are when u BUG in or just game discussions that your storing... Me im asking about BOB ... A game you really have in your stuff, or imaginative game you came up with that uses your gear in your BOB... If you have to flee with your BOB u will settle some where for shelter or sleep or what so ever, you wont have your home game collection with you...

Mr. E. Monkey

Post by Mr. E. Monkey » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:37 am

Lios wrote:
ZombieGranny wrote:Previous threads that are similar, both from 2012.
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... 0&t=103573" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.zombiehunters.org/forum/view ... =6&t=90476" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Its not quite the same things... The two topic your talking about are when u BUG in or just game discussions that your storing... Me im asking about BOB ... A game you really have in your stuff, or imaginative game you came up with that uses your gear in your BOB... If you have to flee with your BOB u will settle some where for shelter or sleep or what so ever, you wont have your home game collection with you...
Then again, if you're bugging out, you have a destination in mind, some place with supplies, right? Why not keep a few games there, and free up space in your BOB/BOV for other essentials?

If you're talking about playing games when you stop for the night on your way to your BOL, I'm not entirely sure I buy that, as I think you'd be more concerned about standing watch or getting rest, but there are still some good suggestions in those threads. A deck of cards doesn't take much space; playing 20 questions (as suggested in the first link) takes up none.
SMoAF wrote:'Tis better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.
Beowolf wrote:Disasters are terrifying, but people are stupid.
wee drop o' bush wrote:THE EVIL MONKEY HAS WON THE INTERNETS! :lol: Image

Anianna

Post by Anianna » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:30 am

Something like this is BOBable yet provides a little more variety. A book of dice and card games would go a long way, too, though I suppose if you are ever in a situation to get that bored, you'd probably invent a few games of your own.
Feed science, not zombies!

Failure is the path of least persistence.

“People had more than they needed. We had no idea what was precious and what wasn't. We threw away things people kill each other for now.” ~Book of Eli

∩(=^_^=)

metalart

Post by metalart » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:46 am

I would add in several decks of munchkin cards as well....

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead 2004
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:38 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Sorry these had no value for you.

erased links
Both those links had lots of value, you may have slightly overreacted to a new guy who's first language is likely not english responding to them.

That said, Lios: great idea for a thread. Discussing the seriously portable stuff vs the not so portable stuff is a valid discussion, and when someone gives you links, you should probably at least say thanks. I know a great dice game that i picked up in Serbia that involves 6 dice. It can be played for hours and is actually fairly fun, and 6 dice (especially the smaller ones) won't add anything overall to your bob weight/space wise but could very well keep you busy for hours.
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Zimmy wrote:Intelligent safety conscious fireman snuffing telekinetic golems?
Our heroes are doomed without Gyrojet pistols firing antimatter tipped rockets!

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:24 am

Last edited by ZombieGranny on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

RugbyFire
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, planet terror

Post by RugbyFire » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:49 am

Yep, I tried to make a chess board/pieces out of various things (i.e. mini tobasco bottles, rocks, paper etc.) and it was not very good however helped kill bordem trying to be creative. It was more fun looking for the pieces than it was trying to play the game. If you like chess and you don't have it stored at your bunker (I wish I could build a bunker in Florida), pack some mini chess pieces in your bob. You don't need the board, cause you can make one on paper or an old box etc. If you don't have a pen in your bag, then draw the checkers in blood :P
oh shit... more Zombies

goodoleboy45
Favorite Zombie Movies: zombie land,night of the living dead(org)

Post by goodoleboy45 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:13 am

I keep it simple in my BOB. Deck of card and pencil and paper. Multi use items card games Pictionary and security nothing like a card in the hand as a pass word for coming pass you're check point with out speaking and anything done else done on the entry shows trouble right away. The paper and pencil have more multi use items than I can count.
If you can't shoot straight shoot often
Former USMC
NRA member
Middleton Sportsmen Club member

BullOnParade
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by BullOnParade » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:20 am

RugbyFire wrote:Yep, I tried to make a chess board/pieces out of various things (i.e. mini tobasco bottles, rocks, paper etc.) and it was not very good however helped kill bordem trying to be creative. It was more fun looking for the pieces than it was trying to play the game. If you like chess and you don't have it stored at your bunker (I wish I could build a bunker in Florida), pack some mini chess pieces in your bob. You don't need the board, cause you can make one on paper or an old box etc. If you don't have a pen in your bag, then draw the checkers in blood :P
How about chess pieces made of money?

Pennies = pawn
Nickles = bishop
Dime = rook
Quarter = knight
Rolled up single = queen
Rolled up and creased single = king
$2.88 in pocket change per side. Color one side with a sharpie for black vs white.
BullOnParade

Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

Urban BOB/Range (& Bailout) Bag/EDC/Vehicle Kit

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:26 am

BullOnParade wrote:
RugbyFire wrote:Yep, I tried to make a chess board/pieces out of various things (i.e. mini tobasco bottles, rocks, paper etc.) and it was not very good however helped kill bordem trying to be creative. It was more fun looking for the pieces than it was trying to play the game. If you like chess and you don't have it stored at your bunker (I wish I could build a bunker in Florida), pack some mini chess pieces in your bob. You don't need the board, cause you can make one on paper or an old box etc. If you don't have a pen in your bag, then draw the checkers in blood :P

Pennies = pawn
Nickles = bishop
Dime = rook
Quarter = knight
Rolled up single = queen
$2.88 in pocket change per side. Color one side with a sharpie for black vs white.
You mean loonies and Toonies as king and queen right?
Winter driving guide: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... =6&t=82858" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Doctorr Fabulous
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Evil Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days/Weeks Later

Post by Doctorr Fabulous » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:47 am

BullOnParade wrote:

Pennies = pawn
Nickles = bishop
Dime = rook
Quarter = knight
Rolled up single = queen
Even easier, heads vs tails.
Opinions subject to change in light of new information.
http://i.imgur.com/wG6ZMjE.jpg

Das Sheep

Post by Das Sheep » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:27 pm

nerf footballs are pretty light weight.

Lios

Post by Lios » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:34 pm

ZombieGranny wrote:Sorry these had no value for you.

erased links
Its fare from having no value. I was just pointing out the situation about what i was trying to create. Some might say you wont have time to play what so ever. As adults your probably right but when u have a family with kids, your going to want to have them siting calm and keep there minds to something else. I also keep in mind that with a family your BOL might take more time to get there then first planified, example you plan on walking during day time but your in winter, day light is out a 4 instead of 9 like in the summer, that give u -5 hours less time to travel. Or even worst you could be needed to change place because its no longer a safe or accessible location to go to. Beyond that I know by experience if your on a hike or tripe in the wild and your for any reason stock in place for any reasons, having a game can help you calm another adults from over stressing for nothing. Thats some of the reason why i was really aiming the BOB not the location your going to.
Anianna wrote:Image

Something like this is BOBable yet provides a little more variety. A book of dice and card games would go a long way, too, though I suppose if you are ever in a situation to get that bored, you'd probably invent a few games of your own.
i love this set up...

Horatio_Tyllis
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Special Dead
Dead before Dawn 3d

Re: Bug Out Bag Specific Entertainment Items

Post by Horatio_Tyllis » Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:52 pm

I'm a huge fan of the role playing games aspect of things. If you already have a deck of cards, using the DUDE system for roleplaying makes thinsg even easier. All you need is your cards and some pencils/paper and you have an rpg with all the rules contained. The entire rules system is about 4 printed pages long.

RugbyFire

Post by RugbyFire » Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:49 pm

Das Sheep wrote:nerf footballs are pretty light weight.
Good idea but may take up space? But it did give me the idea of 'bunker ball' :idea:
oh shit... more Zombies

Bahamut
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Resident Evil series

Post by Bahamut » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:35 pm

metalart wrote:I would add in several decks of munchkin cards as well....
FTW!
Beware the roving zombie honeybadgers mercenary gangs that have an affinity for switchblades!

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:03 pm

I have a chess set for deer camp, its pieces are travel size liquor bottles. If I remember I will take a picture of it.

alpha_texas1969
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead

Post by alpha_texas1969 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:06 pm

Entertainment is on my list of things to get , not for me but for a 7 year old boy. I have , jigsaw puzzles, hotwheels, slingshot in his BOB so far.

RugbyFire

Post by RugbyFire » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:15 am

Marbles have some entertainment value too. The game marbles is like a known lingo. I think 90% of cultures know the game. It is a game that has been played for almost as long as marbles have been around! You can also light fires w it, use it in a slingshot, eat a chip out of it, and best yet... use it as a true trade currency.
oh shit... more Zombies

bacpacjac
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland, Resident Evil, I Am Legend, Shaun of the Dea, Army of Darkness, Dawn of the Dead

Post by bacpacjac » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:06 am

I keep a deck of cards in our familie's BOBs, and there's a set of five dice in the family BOB. (Yahtzi!) We've also been known to draw some lines in the dirt an play checkers (rocks & pinecones) and tic tac toe.
“This is the part in the movie where that guy says, "Zombies? What zombies?" just before they eat his brains. I don't want to be that guy.” ― Holly Black, Kin

My Woods Bumming Kit / My Day Hike Pack/GHB / My Personal BOB / Our Family BOB / My Youtube Channel

Fletch
Location: 25,000 light years from the galactic core, spinning at approx. 67,000mph on a tiny rock called Erf

Post by Fletch » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:15 am

As a backup to a deck or two of cards, I also pack a set of Uno cards, great fun and everyone can learn to play it in minutes
"They want their jobs to be easy, and a policeman's job is easy only in a police state."

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”