Food Storage Discussion Thread

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

6shooter

Re: Food Storage Discussion Thread

Post by 6shooter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:54 am

So I finally decided to take the jump into longer term food storage and picked up some staples to get started tonight, among them 4KG of salt and 10KG of granular sugar.

My question is, is it really necessary to store these in mylar bags, or will they be fine if kept dry and pest free?

Also, I was doing some research and discovered there's an LDS Home Storage Center location not far from where I live, and they seem to have some pretty good prices. I'm wondering if storing in #10 cans is any better than storing in mylar bags with o2 absorbers, or vice versa? The bulk bags they sell are initially a little cheaper than buying it by the can, though it probably pretty much evens out when you factor in purchasing the mylar bags and o2 absorbers yourself. Just wondering if I'd be better off doing it one way or the other? If nothing else, it seems it might be easier to find storage space throughout the house for #10 cans.
7mm Mag/9mm/Pie/Blue wire-green when I can't sleep

Warriors And Wonders, The Best Knife Shop in Vancouver

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:51 pm

6shooter wrote:So I finally decided to take the jump into longer term food storage and picked up some staples to get started tonight, among them 4KG of salt and 10KG of granular sugar.

My question is, is it really necessary to store these in mylar bags, or will they be fine if kept dry and pest free?
Since those shouldn't have oxy absobers, I think they'll be fine as long as they're actually dry and pest free - I put mine in mylar bags inside the plastic buckets, since the mylar won't keep rodents out, but if the bucket is airtight it should be fine I think.
6shooter wrote:Also, I was doing some research and discovered there's an LDS Home Storage Center location not far from where I live, and they seem to have some pretty good prices. I'm wondering if storing in #10 cans is any better than storing in mylar bags with o2 absorbers, or vice versa? The bulk bags they sell are initially a little cheaper than buying it by the can, though it probably pretty much evens out when you factor in purchasing the mylar bags and o2 absorbers yourself. Just wondering if I'd be better off doing it one way or the other? If nothing else, it seems it might be easier to find storage space throughout the house for #10 cans.
Ah, the mylar vs can debate! There's no one right answer. (you're right that the cost mostly evens out with the mylar and oxy absorbers accounted for). The cans will rust if moisture gets to them, which mylar won't. The mylar won't keep rodents out and can be punctured more easily than the cans. The boxes of cans can be used as supports under things (like mattresses) for ease of storage, but so can mylar in buckets. Personally - I have some of both - big mylar bags in 5 gal buckets, small mylar bags stored inside metal trash cans to keep rodents out, and boxes of the #10 cans of other things. It all depends on how much of the item I use at a time, how fast I can rotate it, and where I'm going to keep it. I actually buy my wheat sealed into 5 gal buckets with no mylar, but I go thru that at a rate of 4-5 buckets a year so I keep it rotated well enough that I don't worry about mylar.

If you live near the center so it's easy to go back, you could get a few of each kind and try out their storage locations to see how it goes! (I live like 3 hours away, so I get a whole bunch at once when I do go.)
"When someone shows you who they are believe them" M. Angelou

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:22 pm

duodecima wrote:
6shooter wrote:So I finally decided to take the jump into longer term food storage and picked up some staples to get started tonight, among them 4KG of salt and 10KG of granular sugar.

Since those shouldn't have oxy absobers, I think they'll be fine as long as they're actually dry and pest free - I put mine in mylar bags inside the plastic buckets, since the mylar won't keep rodents out, but if the bucket is airtight it should be fine I think.
6shooter wrote:Also, I was doing some research and discovered there's an LDS Home Storage Center location not far from where I live, and they seem to have some pretty good prices. I'm wondering if storing in #10 cans is any better than storing in mylar bags with o2 absorbers, or vice versa? The bulk bags they sell are initially a little cheaper than buying it by the can, though it probably pretty much evens out when you factor in purchasing the mylar bags and o2 absorbers yourself. Just wondering if I'd be better off doing it one way or the other? If nothing else, it seems it might be easier to find storage space throughout the house for #10 cans.
Ah, the mylar vs can debate! There's no one right answer. (you're right that the cost mostly evens out with the mylar and oxy absorbers accounted for). The cans will rust if moisture gets to them, which mylar won't. The mylar won't keep rodents out and can be punctured more easily than the cans. The boxes of cans can be used as supports under things (like mattresses) for ease of storage, but so can mylar in buckets. Personally - I have some of both - big mylar bags in 5 gal buckets, small mylar bags stored inside metal trash cans to keep rodents out, and boxes of the #10 cans of other things. It all depends on how much of the item I use at a time, how fast I can rotate it, and where I'm going to keep it. I actually buy my wheat sealed into 5 gal buckets with no mylar, but I go thru that at a rate of 4-5 buckets a year so I keep it rotated well enough that I don't worry about mylar.

If you live near the center so it's easy to go back, you could get a few of each kind and try out their storage locations to see how it goes! (I live like 3 hours away, so I get a whole bunch at once when I do go.)
On the can vs mylar bag - I'll just note that the bags can be filled less than full and the bag of food stored in an area that a #10 wouldn't fit. We have and continue to to use both, but have found that the mylar bag is easier to fill, seal and store than the #10 can, which requires a special tool and some training/practice to seal properly.
In the longer run, storage location is just as or more important that of can vs bag. Cool, dark and low moisture storage areas are ideal.

Good luck! As the saying goes, well begun is half done.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

6shooter

Post by 6shooter » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:29 pm

Awesome, thanks guys. All the stuff I picked up last night will be bagged, and ill try and pick up some cans of various stuff from the LDS center, so will have a mix of both. Luckily the cannery is only about 20 mins from my house, and about 5 minutes from work so making a few trips won't be an issue. Storage area is a dry cool closet, or under the bed in the same room, so rust shouldn't be an issue.

Now, can anyone recommend a good manual grain mill for a reasonable price? I can't justify the price of a Country Living mill as it wouldn't get used regularly, but one that doesn't grind up little metal flakes into my flour would be nice. I don't mind a slower production rate for something tough. Thanks again!

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:16 pm

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopi ... l#p2405349

The short version of my post - I've got a Jupiter hand mill (for $40 on ebay, somebody didn't know what they were selling there, they're $180 new) which does awesome quality - BUT!!!! I've ground enough wheat for a loaf of bread with it exactly 3 times. It is a serious PITA. I know it seems OK now but I'm sure I'll be super crazy short time if I'm ever using my handmill for realz. I therefore got a Family Grain mill, with both hand crank and electric base. It's about $150 with just the hand base, motor is more. The quality of flour was not as good BUT it still made very good bread and was much easier to crank. I mostly used the electric base (since I make bread from my own flour twice a week).

I've ended up getting an electric nutrimill, awesome flour, super quick and relatively quiet, but useless when the power goes out. But, again, I'm going thru at least 12 cups of flour a week, so I get my money's worth.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:32 pm

My favorite grain mill is the Wondermill Junior Deluxe. It is an amazing mill, doesn't have any parts to replace. the only backup I was thinking of getting was an extra mill stone, since there are occassionally rocks in certain items you run through it. You can also adjust the courseness of it, it's VERY versatile!
I love it because it will do grains and nut butters. I feel it is wonderful mill at a reasonable price!
http://www.millersgrainhouse.com/store/ ... cts_id=180

Great score on the LDS pantry! I wish ours was closer but we make trips to help friends with the basics so we get over there frequently enough.
ZSC025 President
Check out this months newsletter To see how to save on food storage
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

6shooter

Post by 6shooter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks for the replies all. The Wondermill is still a little out of my price range, given this will only see very occasional use outside of emergencies. The Family grain mill seems slightly more reasonable, and I like that you can get different attachments for the base, particularily the meat grinder.

I came across this Victorio mill that seems to get decent reviews, particularily for the price. Might start with one of these just to see how much I love/hate it.

I'm looking forward to hitting up the LDS cannery, the lady I spoke to on the phone was very friendly and helpful.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer
Favorite Zombie Movies: Contagion, Carriers, Zombieland, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, Resident Evil (s), 28 Days Later, 28 Weeks Later

Post by NoAm » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:23 pm

I understand completely.
I have the Victorio and it works fine, my only concern is the plastic parts. If something breaks, I am out of luck.

Have you already printed out your list for the LDS and started planning your purchase? :wink: They have lots of great stuff there.
ZSC025 President
ZS Chapter VolunteerHave questions about starting a chapter?●Want to find other ZS members in your area? Looking for other ZS members to start a chapter with? Check here first New Chapter Coordination Questions or email us at [url=mailto://chapters@zombiehunters.org]chapters@zombiehunters.org[/url]

6shooter

Post by 6shooter » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:15 am

Haha, yep I sure do :D . Really great prices, so I want to take advantage of it as much as possible the first time around. I paid $24+tax for a 40lb bag of rice from the supermarket a few nights ago, and the LDS has 25lb bags for $12. So basically an extra ten pounds of rice for the same $24 I spent first time around.

Thanks for all the help, putting a bag food away does give a more realistic sense of comfort than a box of bullets. Less cool though :P

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:54 am

Yay! I am really excited for you!
Yes, I truly believe this is where you get the most *Bang* for you buck!
I also feel since these products are meant for their members, they are getting the best quality and freshest/nutritious product they possibly can. You can't go wrong with the LDS pantry!

Don't forget you, should be able to get your 5 gallon buckets for free (or at least real cheap) at a local bakery or grocery store. Stay away from pickles buckets b/c they are just *yuck!*

The mylar bags they have through the pantry are the heavier mil, these are great for the sharper edged items. Banana chips, pasta, etc. would go right through some of the thinner mil bags. Let me know if you have any questions, I love to help! :D

OH, if you are getting fine powder items to bug in bulk, make sure to use a metal scoop. You will have a much better experience and much less mess! If you use a plastic/glass cup it is a huge mess! I changed clothes 3 times and had cocoa powder dust all OVER the place! :lol:

Let me know if you have any specific questions about your trip, love to help. :wink:

Way to go and congratulations!
ZSC025 President

6shooter

Post by 6shooter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks for the help NoAm:). Now to find the time to bag what I have and get down to the cannery.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:58 pm

6shooter wrote:Thanks for the help NoAm:). Now to find the time to bag what I have and get down to the cannery.
Where's that 'like' button.
Woo Hoo! :clap: Post up some pics when you are done. Don't forget to get your free 5 gallon buckets from the bakery/grocery stores.
ZSC025 President

quazi

Post by quazi » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:45 pm

Has anyone purchased the Augason Farms hard red winter wheat berries in buckets before? Sam's Club has 45lb pails online for $28.98 and free shipping. LINK. If you buy 18 pails at a time it's $448 (again with free shipping). LINK

Is there something up with Augason Farm's quality that I should know about? The price is half that of what I find online and about a quarter of what I find locally, plus it comes with it's own bucket.

I figure I'll buy one bucket to check it out, and if it looks okay hopefully this deal will be available so I can buy more. But if other people have had good experiences I might just go ahead and buy a bunch.

I've had trouble finding wheat berries locally for less than $2 a pound, and many places online won't even ship to Alaska.

Edit: Aaaaaaargh! I was pleasantly surprised when I entered my ZIP code and it said that free shipping was available. Turns out they won't ship to Alaska.
Edit 2: Maybe I could get it shipped to the local Sam's Club and rent a vehicle for the day to pick it up, but that wouldn't be worth it unless I buy a bunch.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:50 am

I have found Azure to be the best resource for grains. The only thing is you have to find out if they have a drop near you. They ship but that would add more expense. I was on a quest for Soft White Wheat, most places were $1.00 - $1.25 per pound. Azure has 50# bags pf organic soft white wheat for $19.15. https://www.azurestandard.com/ I do still have to pack it but the buckets are free, I have a stock of gamma seal lids, mylar bags and O2 absorbers. The price would probably average out to be the same. I have a friend that runs a preparedness store and they complained about their A/F cans coming in dirty, other than that, they had no complaints.
Please let us know what you think. What kind of grinder do you have?
ZSC025 President

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 am

NoAm wrote:I have found Azure to be the best resource for grains. The only thing is you have to find out if they have a drop near you. They ship but that would add more expense. I was on a quest for Soft White Wheat, most places were $1.00 - $1.25 per pound. Azure has 50# bags pf organic soft white wheat for $19.15. https://www.azurestandard.com/ I do still have to pack it but the buckets are free, I have a stock of gamma seal lids, mylar bags and O2 absorbers. The price would probably average out to be the same. I have a friend that runs a preparedness store and they complained about their A/F cans coming in dirty, other than that, they had no complaints. Please let us know what you think.
Wow, they do have good prices on grains, especially for being organic. I didn't find a list of drops, I guess I'll have to email them. Their website said that they can't guarantee the quality of of products shipped to Alaska and Hawaii. They ship UPS ground to AK. I'm not sure what it would cost from Azure, but I found another place that would ship UPS ground up here and it cost over $100 to ship a 50 lb bag.

I found a place locally that sells wheat berries for a little under $1 a pound. It sounds like to buy in bulk you need to get on one of there twice-yearly orders. They might be a good option.
NoAm wrote:What kind of grinder do you have?
I bought a Wondermill Junior. It arrived this week. I'm going to test it out this weekend.

Is it a good idea to rinse off wheat berries before grinding them? I've read a couple articles/blog posts that talk about washing the wheat berries and then drying them in the oven before grinding. Sounds like kind of a pain, and the stuff I bought looks clean.

I picked up a 26 lb bucket of Augason Farm's hard white wheat at WalMart. It cost a little less than $16, so that's only ~$.060 a pound. If I did my math right, that means that there's very little savings in buying the 18 bucket deal from Sam's Club as opposed to just buying individual smaller buckets at WalMart, especially after factoring in the membership cost. This is what I'll likely end up doing.

The wheat in the top few inches of the Augason Farms bucket looks very clean. I don't see any shriveled berries, dirt or other detritus. (Maybe that stuff sifted to the bottom?)

The bucket it came in had a plastic seal around it and there was an oxygen absorber at the top. The label says that it will store for up to 30 years unopened. On the bottom it says HDPE 2. I checked a Homer bucket and it seems to be made out of the same type of plastic. I know the bucket my grandmother stores her wheat in has a rubber gasket, but this doesn't seem to. I'm going to bag the wheat in mylar so I don't image buying different buckets would be worth it.

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:44 am

You don't need to wash it, it will have been washed and sorted already.
I've bought grains from the feed store and never needed to wash them.
There are however more sticks, hulls, etc in feed grain so if you buy from there it needs to be picked over.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

quazi

Post by quazi » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks, I was just about to ask about buying feed grain.

gundogs

Post by gundogs » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:06 am

I get rye,wheat,oats and cracked corn from a local feed mill---perfectly edible and cheap.
They also carry food-grade diatomaceous earth ---50 lb bag for $25

Trident
Favorite Zombie Movies: Have not yet decided.

Post by Trident » Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:41 pm

A local supermarket called Wincos gamma seals for 5.99 which is a really great price. They will also special order bulk grains for you, especially if you want organic. They have five gallon bucket for 4.99, lids for 1.00. And they have 2.5 gallon round and square buckets. They also carry O2 absorbers. Can't remember the price off the top of my head, but it was cheaper than from Emergency Essentials out of Utah.

toniok

Post by toniok » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 am

I'd like to buy pre-packaged food with long term (25+ year) storage life. I'd like it to be relatively tasty and low(er) in sodium, and it would be even better if it was free of GMO, transfat, MSG, and artificial coloring. I've ruled out the Costco food, as well as Wise foods. PrepareWise aka Legacy Foods looks to meet my needs. Does anyone have experience with this company's products? Or maybe can recommend other possibly better alternatives? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:51 pm

I am not familiar with the Legacy Foods. We have a huge selection of Non GMO fruits, veggies, meats, dairy, cheeses, etc. through Thrive, there is even ICE CREAM! This is not just a sales pitch, I truly focus on helping people save money with these products, this can be done affordably :wink: Let me know if you have any questions.
No matter what you do or whoever you work with, you should always be earning freebies and 1/2 off benefits. If you aren't, the consultant isn't giving you the most bang for your buck. Don't just push the but it now button, you won't be getting the lowest prices either.
These are examples of the newsletter I send out: http://mad.ly/e55c24
http://mad.ly/39ef34

Thrive isn't always the answer though. (Like the Azure/LDS resources are sometimes best for some of the other bulk items).
It really just depends on what your preferences are. Hope this helps
ZSC025 President

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:33 am

toniok wrote:I'd like to buy pre-packaged food with long term (25+ year) storage life. I'd like it to be relatively tasty and low(er) in sodium, and it would be even better if it was free of GMO, transfat, MSG, and artificial coloring. I've ruled out the Costco food, as well as Wise foods. PrepareWise aka Legacy Foods looks to meet my needs. Does anyone have experience with this company's products? Or maybe can recommend other possibly better alternatives? Thanks in advance for any ideas!

The Prepare Wise site has no physical address and the Legacy Foods that I know of, does animal feed.

Using the 888-toll free number gave some interesting results, none good.

How about putting the URL of the product you are interested in so folks have an idea of the actual company you're talking about, then folks maybe be able to chime in with some suggestions.

Why not drop by the intro section and introduce yourself so we have a better understanding of the region of the world you live in, etc - that makes a difference as well.

Well known outfits, like Perma-Pac and Walton's feeds have been around for decades and have a history to look at for possible products / what to purchase.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

duodecima
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by duodecima » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:45 pm

TacAir wrote: Well known outfits, like Perma-Pac and Walton's feeds have been around for decades and have a history to look at for possible products / what to purchase.
I've got personal experience with Walton feeds, I found a guy in my AO ( well, 90 min drive, close enough) who does a drop ship twice a year. I've used 2 of the 5 gal pails of hard white wheat, it's good stuff. Packed properly, clean, dry, not dusty, no rocks or twigs yet. Their non-pre-packed quinoa, oatmeal, brown rice, buckwheat, and wheat gluten were also good. Haven't opened the #10 can of baking cocoa yet.

Honeyville, augason farms, and thrive have also been fine on sundry items.

NoAm, I've never heard of Azure, I'll check them out.

NoAm
ZS Chapter Volunteer
ZS Chapter Volunteer

Post by NoAm » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:44 pm

I have had nothing but good experiences with Azure so far.
I LOVE the coconut oil and soft white wheat I got from them.
ZSC025 President

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”