Most calories in a standard can: Roast Beef Hash

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Confucius

Re: Most calories in a standard can: Roast Beef Hash

Post by Confucius » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:25 pm

They are both delicious and wonderful, yeah they smell a bit like dogfood, but toss that into a cast iron skillet with a bit of butter until it gets all nice and crispy, put on top of sourdough toast with an egg over easy...

God, I'm getting the shakes just thinking about it... All that lovely cholesterol...

Nightwing
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shawn of the Dead, or Dead Snow

Post by Nightwing » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:31 pm

Grew up on the stuff. Try it with some flatbread for breakfast. Spam is ok, CBH so much better.
"If you give up your fangs, boy, all you'll ever be is a Sheep." - AnonEmouse

ZombieGranny
Favorite Zombie Movies: eh - heck with it, I'm not leaving - I like it here, and the regular folks like me being here.

Post by ZombieGranny » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:33 pm

Onions, fry some onions.
In my day, we didn't have virtual reality.
If a one-eyed razorback barbarian warrior was chasing you with an ax, you just had to hope you could outrun him.
-
Preps buy us time. Time to learn how and time to remember how. Time to figure out what is a want, what is a need.

Ableto

Post by Ableto » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Also good in an Omelet with some cheese and some bell pepper.
Life is like a box of chocolates, eventually we will all melt in the sun.

Dawgboy
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the dead, Fido

Post by Dawgboy » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:16 am

I would have a hard time eating it out of the can... too much like Alpo...

I won't deny how good RBH is fried with peppers and onions and eggs, then dumped into a hot tortilla with Tapatio on top...
shrapnel wrote:Dawgboy, please refrain from stirring shit for the sole purpose of stirring shit.
[ZS/]# .40/Pie/CERT/Wireless...
My homebrew stove kit
IMPROVED Solar Redneck Hot tub
Dawgvan
Chupa Chihuahua
GHB

dustycanuck
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by dustycanuck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:04 am

ZombieGranny wrote:Onions, fry some onions.
Fried onions just make everything better.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not ... Genius will not ... Education will not ... Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
Calvin Coolidge

shrimpwd

Post by shrimpwd » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:21 pm

Box of mac n cheese, can of hash. Feeds 1-2 hungry people. I SOOO want some now.

This is making me realize just how unprepared I am for these weather conditions. Tonight will be just below freezing after days of rain, with some possible snow storms. The roads are going to ice up, and I don't have any hash! :(

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:32 pm

shrimpwd wrote:Box of mac n cheese, can of hash. Feeds 1-2 hungry people. I SOOO want some now.

This is making me realize just how unprepared I am for these weather conditions. Tonight will be just below freezing after days of rain, with some possible snow storms. The roads are going to ice up, and I don't have any hash! :(
Oh god! Mac n cheese topped with crispy hash...

Who needs to live past 30?

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:58 pm

slannesh wrote:Damnit, you guys are making me hungry.

Now I have to go actually buy some corned beef hash to see what the fuss is about. :)
Me too! and do, it is true man food, like everyone else says: pile on other good stuff on it onions, peppers, eggs, sweet peas, you name it only makes it better.

Had it over rice as well as with MOAR potatos which I started fired with onions just for added awesomes.

Once, with no crackers or bread on hand used tortilla chips...in the middle of chowing thought...Salsa? SALSA!!!
DONT JUDGE ME!!!
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

dustycanuck
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by dustycanuck » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:48 pm

Well, I've just been informed by the Vice-President, Americas, of Hormel International, that the Mary Kitchen Roast or Corned Beef Hash products are not available in Canada.

I'm crisping up a tin of Puritan CBH right now, but anyone want to hook a brother up with some Hormel :ohdear:
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not ... Genius will not ... Education will not ... Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
Calvin Coolidge

Ableto

Post by Ableto » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:29 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:
slannesh wrote:Damnit, you guys are making me hungry.

Now I have to go actually buy some corned beef hash to see what the fuss is about. :)
Me too! and do, it is true man food, like everyone else says: pile on other good stuff on it onions, peppers, eggs, sweet peas, you name it only makes it better.

Had it over rice as well as with MOAR potatos which I started fired with onions just for added awesomes.

Once, with no crackers or bread on hand used tortilla chips...in the middle of chowing thought...Salsa? SALSA!!!
DONT JUDGE ME!!!
Yes Corned beef hash does taste good with salsa and eggs with some shredded cheese. like cheddar or Parmesan. Wrapped up in a tortilla.
Life is like a box of chocolates, eventually we will all melt in the sun.

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 am

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the hangover curative qualities of CBH, good stuff!
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

slipkid42

Post by slipkid42 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:37 am

After reading this, I HAD to go out and get a can last night. I got the Mary's Kitchen and fried it up in the skillet. Ate it over toast, I was pleasantly surprised after the smell of opening.
I had tried it earlier this year, but I got the Armour brand, and don't think it was cooked long enough, basically just warmed, and it tasted like crap. So I'm not sure if it was the cooking method or the brand.

mr_slappy75
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead

Post by mr_slappy75 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:53 am

slipkid42 wrote:After reading this, I HAD to go out and get a can last night. I got the Mary's Kitchen and fried it up in the skillet. Ate it over toast, I was pleasantly surprised after the smell of opening.
I had tried it earlier this year, but I got the Armour brand, and don't think it was cooked long enough, basically just warmed, and it tasted like crap. So I'm not sure if it was the cooking method or the brand.
I do not believe that I have had anything other than the Hormel / Marie’s Kitchen brand in recent history…I believe that I may have tried Libby’s (?) several years back but do not recall if it was better or worse than Hormel.

I do not want to defend a product I have not tried myself, but Armour makes other quality stuff that I do like and I would think they would try and have uniform quality standards for all their lines. Will make a conscious effort to find some and give it a go.

I don’t want to derail, but has anyone tried the canned (tinned or potted whatever they call it in your respective AOs) corn beef that normally comes on square cans from South America (Argentina, Brazil or Chile)? Growing up in Panamá mama Slappy used to get us that and then add her own tatters, onions, etc. to turn it into CBH.

I found a can of the stuff at a local store and was underwhelmed. Either my experience is coated by the tinted lens of childhood nostalgia or the quality has severely taken a nose-dive in the last three decades.

Anyone have any experience with the product I’m talking about?

http://www.targeter.net/exeter-cornedbeef.htm
http://www.cdo.com.ph/images/product/CDo/cdo19.jpg
colinz wrote:
ZS - Where having livestock, land and a good attitude is more desirable than being Size <6, 'ripped', or rich.

I <3 ZS!

JayBrian

Post by JayBrian » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:53 pm

dustycanuck wrote:Well, I've just been informed by the Vice-President, Americas, of Hormel International, that the Mary Kitchen Roast or Corned Beef Hash products are not available in Canada.

I'm crisping up a tin of Puritan CBH right now, but anyone want to hook a brother up with some Hormel :ohdear:

Amazon is your friend.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

skelco
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by skelco » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:03 pm

mr_slappy75 wrote:
slipkid42 wrote:After reading this, I HAD to go out and get a can last night. I got the Mary's Kitchen and fried it up in the skillet. Ate it over toast, I was pleasantly surprised after the smell of opening.
I do not believe that I have had anything other than the Hormel / Marie’s Kitchen brand in recent history…I believe that I may have tried Libby’s (?) several years back but do not recall if it was better or worse than Hormel.

I do not want to defend a product I have not tried myself, but Armour makes other quality stuff that I do like and I would think they would try and have uniform quality standards for all their lines. Will make a conscious effort to find some and give it a go.

I don’t want to derail, but has anyone tried the canned (tinned or potted whatever they call it in your respective AOs) corn beef that normally comes on square cans from South America (Argentina, Brazil or Chile)? Growing up in Panamá mama Slappy used to get us that and then add her own tatters, onions, etc. to turn it into CBH.

I found a can of the stuff at a local store and was underwhelmed. Either my experience is coated by the tinted lens of childhood nostalgia or the quality has severely taken a nose-dive in the last three decades.

Anyone have any experience with the product I’m talking about?

http://www.targeter.net/exeter-cornedbeef.htm
http://www.cdo.com.ph/images/product/CDo/cdo19.jpg
I know that stuff, have a couple of cans on the shelf now. About all it's good for is using in making your own CBH, good stuff in my book when prepared properly.
-skelco
ZSC:015 Officer of Indeterminate Duty

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."
-Hunter S. Thompson

dustycanuck
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by dustycanuck » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:43 pm

JayBrian wrote:Amazon is your friend.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... Caps%2C168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
True, amazon is usually my friend, but "We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order." is what they have to say today.
Thanks, though.

-edit- Found this!

So, that's almost $22/can. Now sure, that's delivered, but really, how good IS this stuff :lol:
-edit-

And as for that 'Puritan' CBH I tried yesterday...couldn't finish it. I'm not a picky eater, and have been known to eat questionable leftovers, but this stuff brought me to my knees. Man, it was just nasty and salty beyond belief. I tried 'crisping' it up, and I'm not sure I did a great job, but man, it was gross. Put me off my feed for the evening, which is maybe not a bad idea. Hmmm, new 'Weight Watchers' menu item, anyone?
Calvin Coolidge

Neville

Post by Neville » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:47 pm

Ah, the basics! A tasty meal in a can that will stick with you...

I love the roast beef hash, sizzled in the skillet until crispy enough to suit (for me that is about 50% crispy... for the wife, 101% crispy). I like some chopped onion cooked into mine. She prefers hers plain.

Season with black pepper (already salty enough for anyone and everyone) and chow down.

I like the corned beef hash too sometimes. Corned beef all by it'self is a favorite of mine on sandwiches. Just slice, sizzle, and slap it on the bread. Mmmm m.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:54 pm

dustycanuck wrote: And as for that 'Puritan' CBH I tried yesterday...couldn't finish it. I'm not a picky eater, and have been known to eat questionable leftovers, but this stuff brought me to my knees. Man, it was just nasty and salty beyond belief. I tried 'crisping' it up, and I'm not sure I did a great job, but man, it was gross. Put me off my feed for the evening, which is maybe not a bad idea. Hmmm, new 'Weight Watchers' menu item, anyone?
It can be darned salty, but never eat it by itself and it won't be too bad, on toast with eggs is good, or just dice a boiled potato in with it when you crisp it (and seriously crisp it, it should almost burn).

Honeypot
Favorite Zombie Movies: Serenity

Post by Honeypot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:06 pm

Corned beef hash is one of my favorite canned foods, but I've not yet tried "roast beef" hash, nor recall seeing it in grocery stores (upper Midwest, USA).
Is it regional, or store specific?

dustycanuck, how about changing your Location to a don't-make-me-work form? :)
A lot of us have family/friends in your wonderful country, and, particularly if you'd be willing to do a swap (Coffee Crisp and/or Twinkies?), I'm sure someone could hook ya up! :)

When you get a chance, please post up the nutrition and ingredients for Puritan. If Mary's Kitchen or Hormel is more salty, it might not be worth the effort.

I've seen smaller cans (one person serving size), which I'm tempted to stock as an emergency comfort food, and for treats. When I get the cravings, the regular size can is a bit too much, now that our nest is almost empty. We often crack a can at Holiday Gatherings.

Has anyone done a head-to-head with Walmart's in house brand?
Pro : cake & pie, Kaywinnet Lee Frye's response to the Apocalypse
Anti: rage trolls, nanny squad, oaf & bigot squad, PAW boys, spammersImage

dustycanuck
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by dustycanuck » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:08 am

Honeypot wrote:Corned beef hash is one of my favorite canned foods, but I've not yet tried "roast beef" hash, nor recall seeing it in grocery stores (upper Midwest, USA).
Is it regional, or store specific?

dustycanuck, how about changing your Location to a don't-make-me-work form? :)
A lot of us have family/friends in your wonderful country, and, particularly if you'd be willing to do a swap (Coffee Crisp and/or Twinkies?), I'm sure someone could hook ya up! :)
Cambridge, Ontario :wink: And swaps? Hey, we have a free trade agreement, right? So I'll trade anything legal. Coffee Crisp, Twinkies, Maple Syrup, the Toronto Maple Leafs...
Honeypot wrote:When you get a chance, please post up the nutrition and ingredients for Puritan. If Mary's Kitchen or Hormel is more salty, it might not be worth the effort.
Per 1/2 can (212 grams or 1/2 of a 15 oz can)
300 Calories
By weight, and '% of Daily Value'
Fat 17 g 26%
- Saturated 8 g + Trans 1 g 45%

Cholesterol 70 mg

Sodium 1230 mg (that's friggin 1.23 grams or 1.23/212 = 0.6% by weight of the whole thing. Damn!) 51%

Carbs 19 g 6%
- Fibre (or Fiber, to you Yanks) 2 g 8%
- Sugars 1 g
Protein 18 g
As for other nutrients, expressed as '% of Daily Value'
Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%
Iron 20%

Honeypot wrote:I've seen smaller cans (one person serving size), which I'm tempted to stock as an emergency comfort food, and for treats. When I get the cravings, the regular size can is a bit too much, now that our nest is almost empty. We often crack a can at Holiday Gatherings.

Has anyone done a head-to-head with Walmart's in house brand?
Calvin Coolidge

Impus
Favorite Zombie Movies: Die, You Zombie Bastards!

Post by Impus » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Yet another Thread Of Win on the ZS boards! Mary Kitchen, Roast over Corned, but Corned Beef will do.

Crispy in a skillet with sauteed diced onion is good, but I've been eating it raw out of the can since I was 8. The family would make jokes about my eating dog food, but that just made me feel like Mel Gibson in The Road Warrior.
Let Me Die Not Quietly, But Valiantly And Violently

ZSC:012 Tenimus Altus Humus

shooterm
Favorite Zombie Movies: Night of the Living Dead

Post by shooterm » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:34 pm

If you do a corned beef for St Paddys day make sure to try your own hash.

wee drop o' bush
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead
Dead Set
Zombieland
TV show: The Walking Dead
Game: Plants vs Zombies

Post by wee drop o' bush » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:52 pm

When you say corned beef hash do you mean this? Image
I've been eating that for years, love it :mrgreen:
It makes a good stew. Just add potatoes, fried onions, carrots and water; simmer till soft. Leave over night and reheat the next day with extra potatoes. Sticks to your ribs.
HP Sauce is a good accompaniment.
Mr. E. Monkey wrote: Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat. Wee drop is NOT a dinosaur with a mind-control hat.
airballrad wrote: All hail Wee Drop, the Angel of Quittin' Time. :D
wee drop's Sheep Farming thread

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”