Most calories in a standard can: Roast Beef Hash

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

Maast
Favorite Zombie Movies: Sean of the Dead

Most calories in a standard can: Roast Beef Hash

Post by Maast » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:16 pm

I think I've found my new winner for best open-and-eat canned goods: Roast beef hash! Its roughly 1/3rd fat, 1/3rd carbohydrates and 1/3rd protein and comes in at 760 calories in a can!

Per can: 48g fat, 44g carbohydrate, and 38g of protein. It says two servings in a can. 55% of the calories come from fat. It also has 1580mg of sodium so a lower sodium version might be in order if you can find one.

Yeah, it's heart spackle and doesnt have hardly any other nutrition in it other than the macronutrients but if you need a high-calorie (relatively) balanced food that doesnt have to be cooked I'd bet it'd be hard to beat. Just the thing for somebody chopping wood outside in the snow. You'll need to take at least a vitamin pill along with your meal though. I think you'd have to eat straight lard to beat the calorie count.

Up to now I'd considered refried beans the best all-around open-and-eat canned food that had an even mix of Fat/Carbo/Protein but I hash has it beat hands down.

The "First Cut" brand cans I bought at Grocery Outlet were $1.99 a can and had a "best by" date of Jun 2015.
"Everybody thinks they're the hero of their own story"

Ableto

Re: Most calories in a standard can: Roast Beef Hash

Post by Ableto » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:06 pm

Roast beef or corned beef hash is tasty and can be mixed with rice or noodles if cooked right. I grew up eating corned or roast beef hash with eggs and cheese. I currently have 10 cans stashed in the kitchen for when i want something different to eat. Right next to the tins of sardines.
Life is like a box of chocolates, eventually we will all melt in the sun.

Keith B
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead
Resident Evil 3
Did not like 28 days later

Post by Keith B » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 pm

It's an old staple of mine, Corned Beef Hash with Saltine crackers.
The asshole formerly known as Sigboy40

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is.
An accident while adventuring is always an indication of incompetence-Col Townsend Whelen
thinkfree wrote:Sigboy40 is the greatest asshole I have ever had the pleasure of knowing
Sigboy Scout Belt
Outcast Prepper Blog

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:14 pm

Corned Beef Hash is my favorite canned food of all time.

ETA: Especially when fried in an iron skillet until crispy, and mixed with some sweet and spicy BBQ Sauce! :clap:
docdredd wrote:those pandas need to harden the fuck up

Mister Dark
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by Mister Dark » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:38 pm

Roast Beef Hash over rice with some peeled tomatos and peppers mixed in. Yum. I think I will go stock up a bit more tomorrow, just because of the Awesome.

Vicarious_Lee
Favorite Zombie Movies: 28 days later, Resident Evil 2, Shaun Of The Dead, Bowling For Columbine, Farenheit 911

Post by Vicarious_Lee » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:42 pm

If this is better than the SPAM that I have that no one but our female spouse BFF ever gets into because she's feeling nostalgic for her childhood when she visits, I might give it a whirl.

How does it compare with cost?
duodecima wrote:The tinfoil's a clever idea...

We'reWolf

Post by We'reWolf » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:43 pm

... i approve of corn beef hash
The ringing in your ears is the sound of your own destruction.

AKFTW
Favorite Zombie Movies: Shaun of the Dead, Dawn of the Dead (remake), Land of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and Zombieland!

Post by AKFTW » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:45 pm

Vicarious_Lee wrote:If this is better than the SPAM that I have that no one but our female spouse BFF ever gets into because she's feeling nostalgic for her childhood when she visits, I might give it a whirl.

How does it compare with cost?
$2.25 a can or so. Corned Beef Hash and Spam do not belong in the same sentence. CBH is fucking delicious.

Sworbeyegib
Favorite Zombie Movies: night of the living dead is what started it all for me

Post by Sworbeyegib » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm

I have cans of both roast beef and corn beef hash in my cabinet right now. Corn beef has over rice, with a couple of over-easy eggs on top is a staple for me. I'm thinking about it right now actually... Definatly a winner.
**Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't**

ArmySGT.

Post by ArmySGT. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:50 pm

I might buy some for the BOB as emergency food. Since I can't stand the stuff, it is unlikely I will "borrow" some and forget to replace it.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 am

Oil frypan

Drop a cans worth of Corned beef hash on frypan and begin to chop it up with spatula.

Add 4 to 6 eggs, scramble in with hash. Ketchup optional.

Pig out.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:53 am

Damnit, you guys are making me hungry.

Now I have to go actually buy some corned beef hash to see what the fuss is about. :)
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

BigDaddyTX

Post by BigDaddyTX » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:50 am

slannesh wrote:Damnit, you guys are making me hungry.

Now I have to go actually buy some corned beef hash to see what the fuss is about. :)
It smells like dog food. Don't use that as a judge. Fry it up and top with 2-3 over easy eggs, none of this scrambled nonsense.
mzmadmike wrote: I may even buy another semiautomatic assault weapon rambo killing machine for my small penis, with lots of large capacity non-reusable clips full of armor piercing incendiary mercury tracer poisoned explosive hollowpoint glaser black talons

Maast

Post by Maast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:57 pm

I'll eat the Corned Beef hash, but I really like the roast beef hash, corned beef turns off some folks.

dustycanuck
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by dustycanuck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:08 pm

This 'roast or corned' beef hash - who makes the stuff?
If there are a few brands, who do you prefer?
I've never tried the stuff, but it sounds like I'd better.
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not ... Genius will not ... Education will not ... Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
Calvin Coolidge

slannesh

Post by slannesh » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:22 pm

Maast wrote:

I'll eat the Corned Beef hash, but I really like the roast beef hash, corned beef turns off some folks.
Ah, I'll take a look for both. Reading comprehension fail there on my part I think :)
I'm not afraid of the dark, I'm afraid of what's *IN* the dark
~Anonymous

AZ-Stealth
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead (both orig, remake), The Omega Man, I am Legend, SHTF - The World The Flesh and The Devil, The Postman, Panic in the Year Zero

Post by AZ-Stealth » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:59 pm

The brand of corned beef hash I have and prefer is Mary Kitchen by Hormel. I was web surfing and looked up some info on shelf life. Directly from the Hormel web site, it implies no limit to shelf life (flavor will degrade). Check this out:

"What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can? The product is always safe to consume as long as the seal has remained intact, unbroken and securely attached. However, the flavor and freshness of the product gradually begin to decline after three years from the manufacturing date."

(edit) Same web page has this also:

"Can we serve a canned product beyond the “Best By” date shown on the container? We recommend using our canned item by the date printed on the container for best quality, flavor and freshness. After this time, the product should be safe to use as long as the can has not been compromised (no dents, split seams or other container damage). "

http://www.hormelfoods.com/About/FAQs/FAQs.aspx
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol
Armageddon (1998) - Rockhound: "You know we're sitting on four million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts built by the lowest bidder. Makes you feel good, doesn't it?"

dustycanuck
ZS Lifetime Member
ZS Lifetime Member

Post by dustycanuck » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:12 pm

Thanks for the tip.

And here's what I found at http://vintage-ads.livejournal.com/2481667.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Mary Kitchen Roast Beef Hash with Hash Orange Cup recipe
Can't get your family to eat canned hash? Simply bake it in an orange rind and skewer it with a pickle and a cherry. I usually add some chocolate sauce and sprinkles, but that's my own special touch."

RoastBeefHash on Flickr
"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not ... Genius will not ... Education will not ... Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."
Calvin Coolidge

AKFTW

Post by AKFTW » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:45 pm

AZ-Stealth wrote:The brand of corned beef hash I have and prefer is Mary Kitchen by Hormel. I was web surfing and looked up some info on shelf life. Directly from the Hormel web site, it implies no limit to shelf life (flavor will degrade). Check this out:

"What is the shelf life of a Hormel Foods product in an unopened can? The product is always safe to consume as long as the seal has remained intact, unbroken and securely attached. However, the flavor and freshness of the product gradually begin to decline after three years from the manufacturing date."

(edit) Same web page has this also:

"Can we serve a canned product beyond the “Best By” date shown on the container? We recommend using our canned item by the date printed on the container for best quality, flavor and freshness. After this time, the product should be safe to use as long as the can has not been compromised (no dents, split seams or other container damage). "

http://www.hormelfoods.com/About/FAQs/FAQs.aspx
That's the one! So yummy :clap:

Maast

Post by Maast » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:05 pm

With that much salt I have to wonder what the freezing point is: or if it matters at all. I'll stick a can in the freezer to see what happens. I suspect this "First Cut" brand is just rebadged Hormel, it has the EXACT same nutrition label with the exact same numbers.

Benny
Favorite Zombie Movies: Zombieland

Post by Benny » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:05 am

My father worked for Hormel for 20 years. We ate a *LOT* of Mary Kitchen hash.

That's really the only thing I've eaten that much of and still love. Love isn't a strong enough word. I'd ROLL in it. Give me four slices of toast and a mound of hash, and I'll use the toast just like a scoop. It's making me salivate just thinking about it. :clap:

Ask me about SPAM sometime... Good lord, I can't count how many fried SPAM sandwiches we had as kids. Do I stock it? Yes. Do I like it? No, but it's a good source of protein in a long-shelf-life package for a reasonable-ish price, and it gives some variety. It'll just be consumed towards the end of the apocolypse. :)
ZSC:034 Kansas City
Fightin' 34th "Guardians of the Frontier!"
Chapter electrician & mad scientist

quazi

Post by quazi » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:24 pm

I like roast beef hash more than corned beef hash.

Hormel seems to make better quality products than a lot of other canned food companies, and their products are canned to last.

If you like roast beef hash with crackers try it with pilot bread crackers.

crypto
ZS Donor
ZS Donor

Post by crypto » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:56 pm

I dont think Ive ever had roast beef hash, only the corned, which smelled way too much like dog food for my liking.
MF'N TEAM LEADER

"Some people think that the best way to stop the leopard is to cut the horns off the gazelle. This, my friends, is insane."

Maast

Post by Maast » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 pm

After a couple of days I pulled the can of roast beef hash out of the freezer - no change in the can at all.

The roast beef hash smells kinda like dog food too, but its damn tasty. I dont really like the corned variety.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”