Pulling the Trigger: have you ever bugged out?

Topics in this category pertain to planning. Discussions include how to prepare yourself, your family and your community for catastrophes and what you plan to do when they hit you.

Moderator: ZS Global Moderators

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 pm

Many people talk about their criteria for taking off, but my question is who has actually thrown their gear into a vehicle or strapped it to their back and headed out. If you have not ever pulled the trigger, how close did you get?

While an approaching hurricane may prompt you to bug out temporarily, I am thinking something along the lines of when you either
- had an immediate reaction to a near-term threat, such as an environmental (chemical spill, wild fires), criminal (riots, violent protests), or some other threat
- or your warning signs for leaving were met and you headed out.

Some people have commented on their criteria for taking off. I heard some people (admittedly a bit odd) from the NatGeo Preppers show highlight their criteria was a collapsing stock market or bank closings. If that was the case, I question why they did not head for the hills in 2008 during the major stock market downturn or in 2009 when the FDIC closed down around 140 banks, according to http://www.fdic.gov/bank/individual/fai ... klist.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

So have you ever taken off with your gear in tow?
Amateurs talk strategy; Generals talk logistics

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

What Food to Carry in A Pack?

A Graphic: One Strategic Approach to Preps

raptor
ZS Global Moderator
ZS Global Moderator

Re: Pulling the Trigger: have you ever bugged out?

Post by raptor » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:08 pm

I have bugged out for hurricanes a couple of times.

BTW the FDIC closed a hell of a lot more banks that 140 between 2009 and 2012.
There were 390 closed banks in 2009 through 2011 add to that 50 to date in 2012 brings the number to 440 failed banks.

http://portalseven.com/banks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JTNieman

Post by JTNieman » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:12 pm

Couple hurricanes have made me do so, yes.

I've also had to do so for tornados, which was more of a 'get home' situation, kind of a reverse bugout, when the conditions revealed the potential, and we knew the storm system was headed our way.

Flash floods have prompted what could be called a bugout before.

There was a flash flood incident, as well, during the night time of a camping trip in which we were cause with our pants off, basically. I was a kid. We bugged out of our tents to the local McDonalds after getting dressed and grabbing basic important stuff. Slept the next short while until sunup in the Blazer. Then the next day was recovery of gear.

That's all that immediately comes to mind.

We've done more bugging in as a family due to ice storms, tornadoes, floods, and what not, as we were prepared to live that stuff out. Even weeks, and over a month, without heat in freezing temps was livable.

Weather is a bitch, and when you're rural, it's worse. You're not a priority if the amount of work it takes to get you (or even the 3-4 of you in the 10 mile stretch) back online could get 50 people in a small town online instead. The 50 people is a better use of resources.
Last edited by JTNieman on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:13 pm

raptor wrote: There were 390 closed banks in 2009 through 2011 add to that 50 to date in 2012 brings the number to 440 failed banks.

http://portalseven.com/banks/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I just meant in 2009, not since 2009.

The necessity of the routine (clean water) often trumps the lure of the exciting (expensive gear).

DarkAxel
Favorite Zombie Movies: The Evil Dead Series, Dawn of the Dead, Shawn of the Dead, NOTLD, Resident Evil Series

Post by DarkAxel » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:15 pm

Yep. I made a thread about it on here. My First Bug Out
vyadmirer wrote:Call me the paranoid type, but remember I'm on a post apocalyptic website prepared for zombies.
Fleet #: ZS 0180

Browncoat

Imma Fudd, and proud of it.

ZS Wiki

Calzonewdippingsauce
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 weeks later

Post by Calzonewdippingsauce » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:23 pm

Same thing as JT. I was working the day/night in Essex, MD right before Sandy made landfall. At the time she had not made the right turn toward NJ and looked like it was going to come right up the Chesapeake. Winds picked up and rain got worse. A friend came and relieved me early and I high tailed it home to PA and bugged in. It was really the wind that got me thinking I needed to get out before it was so strong that I was stuck there.

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:44 pm

DarkAxel wrote:Yep. I made a thread about it on here. My First Bug Out
That was what I was thinking about when I posed the question. Thanks for linking to your write-up. Good to hear it worked out.

mantis

Post by mantis » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:17 pm

I did as a child - just over 33 years ago in an event that became known as "The Mississauga Miracle" or the "Mississauga Train Derailment".

At 11:53 PM Eastern Starndard time on November 10, 1979, an eastbound 106 car Canadian Pacific Freight train carrying explosive and poisonous checmicals derailed in near the intersection of Mavis and Dundas right in the heart of the city of Mississauga. Several of the propane cars exploded sending a massive fireball so far into the night sky that it was seen as far away as the Niagara region. It was so bright that some people thought it was a nuclear attack. The explosion was so powerful that the remains of several railcars were found more than a mile from the derailment site. As the wreck burned threatening more explosions, tankers carrying deadly chlorine gas ruptured releasing a clouds of posion gas into the atmosphere. Overnight, 200,000 residents of the city were evacuated - myself included. Police from and firefighters were brought in from all surounding citiies as well as the RCMP and the military. The whole event took place without a single fatality and was until the 2005 evacuations in New Orleans, the largest peacetime evacuation in North America.

At the time, my father was a police officer with the Toronto Police Service and he was sent to Mississauga to aid in patrolling for looters (there were none amazingly) and assisting with evacuations. I remember my mother waking us kids up in the middle of the night and getting us dressed and having us throw somes clothes and toys into suitcases. We were a good 20 miles from ground zero but the sky was bright red and there were police vehicles going up and down the streets with bull horns telling people to evacuate the area immediately. We headed north to my grandparents house in Erin, Ontario and spend the next three days watching the disaster unfold on TV. For an 8 year old, it was pretty scary but it was fun having three or four days off school!
Doc Torr wrote:"Those who live by the sword get shot by those who see them coming a hundred yards away."
roscoe wrote:.....and don't plan on being The Humongous - it ain't happening.

TacAir

Post by TacAir » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 pm

I bugged out - fled really, with my family in 1991 - left Las Vegas and 'just moved' to someplace better.

The OP would be correct - the gangs had gotten so out of control, and with kinder still in school, we felt just about anyplace would be better. So far, we feel the move was the best one made yet.
TacAir - I'd rather be a disappointed pessimist than a horrified optimist
**All my books ** some with a different view of the "PAW". Check 'em out.
Adventures in rice storage//Mod your Esbit for better stability

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 pm

mantis wrote: The whole event took place without a single fatality and was until the 2005 evacuations in New Orleans, the largest peacetime evacuation in North America.
Wow, I hardly can think of the logistics involved in not only notifying, but possibly helping to move some of the 200,000 people at a moment's notice.

Mall Ninja

Post by Mall Ninja » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:32 pm

I was in a small town in California when a wildfire forced the evacuation of the town. I knew there was a fire on the mountainside a few miles away, but was inside and didn't realize the winds had changed, sending the fire towards town, until I heard the police driving around announcing a mandatory evacuation on their PA. We sort of staged first on the other side of 359, then when the smoke blanketed that side town, drove a little further away. Then we got to watch the CDF and FS, which had been just letting the fire burn as long as stayed high on the mountainside, go all out with water bombers and whatnot to stop the fire from reaching the town. They stopped it just on the outskirts of town and everybody was back home by nightfall.
Maxim 24: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a big gun.

Confucius

Post by Confucius » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:12 am

I've been evacuated twice, both as a child. One was from a chemical release and the other a wildfire.

Since then though, no...

hkusp1

Post by hkusp1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:14 am

I try to bug out whenever my family is in town just so I don't have to put up with them.

williaty

Post by williaty » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:03 am

I have two "ish"-es. Not quite real bugouts but in the same spirit of "You have been given a sign from on high that it is time to exit stage right".

1) Living in row housing in the ghetto (real ghetto, no pizza after dark and police formed convoys of no less than 3 cruisers before entering neighborhood) when a very significant ice storm and wind blew in. When I saw the power lines out back start sagging into trees, catching the trees on fire, and then the sleet putting the fire out, I called it in to both non-emergency fire dispatch and to the power company. Both told me that unless life was in danger, I could call them back next week. We bugged out right then at about 4am after packing the car and "winterizing" the place. Stopped a few miles later to help two of my (female) friends bust through the ice into their car, then continued on to my parent's house about 35mi away. Our row house was without power for close to 2 weeks and it never got above freezing the whole time. Not really much of a bug out, honestly.

2) I have been, through a governmental fuckup, locked into a fire road that was just over the ridge crest from a wildfire I didn't know about. I was out of the car hiking and taking photos (I was a photographer at that point in time). My first clue something was wrong was when suddenly there were no forest sounds at all. Second clue was a truck of smokejumpers roaring around the corner looking utterly shocked to see a civvy there. Frantic interrogation ensued in which it was revealed one state had locked all the entrances/exits to the area except for the one by which I entered. Which was in a different state. Which hadn't gotten the memo that there was a wildfire less than a mile from the border. Realizing that wildfires are Serious Business (TM), I left a good portion of what I was working with on the ground and threw (literally picked up and threw 25 grand worth of camera and lenses about 20 feet) the stuff I couldn't replace into the hatch of my wagon and slammed it as I ran by. Truck flipped a bitch and made a race for it back up to the open gate so they could lock it and flush out any other civvys. One firefighter jumped in the car with me so that he could let me out the gate at the bottom of the mountain (to which we were closest). I was focused on driving, but the guy was watching the ridge and telling me I had to go faster. Repeatedly. I have never driven that close to the edge in any racing event in my life. On gravel, doing about 115mph, engine pegged on the rev limit at 7 grand, and I at one point I could still hear nothing but the whoosh and crackle of the fire. The road finally turned away from the fire, rather than parallel to it, and we started to open up a gap. We got below it and that bought him time to unlock the gate to let us out.

As an interesting tidbit, there was recently a emergency evacuation somewhat near me due to a train derailment in the middle of the night. The residents were evacuated to a shelter and the ARC provided some supplies. When interviewed on the news, the ARC manager was asked what they had to provide the most of. His answer was shoes. It happened so suddenly and people had to wake up and run so quickly, that almost no one was able to find shoes. My bedside BoB now has a pair of shoes in it as well as the "normal" pair I wear every day now having a fixed location next to the most likely exit.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 am

I was supposed to be part of an evacuation but the police forgot to come and tell us.
50 teenagers at a party one night and there was a train derailment in the area. Everyone else was evacuated except us.

The cops even knew we were having a party there since we made it a habit to tell them on party weekends. They would sometimes come out to check up on us. (look for dope)

The next morning parents came over to get their teens and were pissed off to the extreme that the cops never told us.

Since then a few of us made plans to bug out on a moments notice and practiced it. Basically short camping trips.

But my BOG did come in handy one day while working. Got stuck for 12+ hours on a freeway going into Houston one day. A river caught fire. The food and water came in handy for four of us that day. Bumper to bumper traffic as far as the eye could see on the road into Houston. Got a bit scary as it got dark and was thank fully armed with a revolver. Some of the folks were getting a bit edgy.

AnonEmous

Post by AnonEmous » Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:16 pm

MacAttack wrote: But my BOG did come in handy one day while working. Got stuck for 12+ hours on a freeway going into Houston one day. A river caught fire. The food and water came in handy for four of us that day. Bumper to bumper traffic as far as the eye could see on the road into Houston. Got a bit scary as it got dark and was thank fully armed with a revolver. Some of the folks were getting a bit edgy.
Interesting, unexpected scenario in which you needed a bag. Thanks for providing this example.

Calzonewdippingsauce
Favorite Zombie Movies: Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, 28 weeks later

Post by Calzonewdippingsauce » Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:16 pm

MacAttack wrote: But my BOG did come in handy one day while working. Got stuck for 12+ hours on a freeway going into Houston one day. A river caught fire. The food and water came in handy for four of us that day. Bumper to bumper traffic as far as the eye could see on the road into Houston. Got a bit scary as it got dark and was thank fully armed with a revolver. Some of the folks were getting a bit edgy.
I have been in that situation before too. Although mine have not been as long, but I was glad I at least had some drink and food out of my EDC. As much as we would all hope it is like that beer commercial where traffic is stopped on a hot summer and people pull out and fire the grill up, pass out cold beers, open the camper, fold out the chairs, and have a party right on the interstate, usually people are angry about traffic on a commute anyhow, compound that with weather extremes, and you get some unstable people. Good thing you had some protection. I didn't have that option since the state I spend the most of my time on the beltway and in traffic jams makes it damn near impossible for even its residents to have a CCW Permit let alone an out of stater plus its self defense laws apply only in the home i believe. Regardless, I have never had a situation where i thought i needed a weapon during my commute. I just usually turn off the car at a jam, hop out, lean on the barrier and share some smokes and chat it up until it looks like its going to clear.

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:34 am

I was living and working out of Dallas at that time and it was the company truck. And the company owners gun.
After I worked for him a week he called me into the office and asked if I knew how to handle a revolver. And if I wanted one for my times on the road.
I offered to use my own but he just whipped his old .357 out and tossed it to me. Told me he had a holster hooked up under the seat and not to let the other employees know I had it in the truck.
I kept it in the truck or my luggage bag(when staying in hotels) for the next two years and he never asked about it again.

ODA 226
ZS Member
ZS Member

Post by ODA 226 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:05 am

I bugged out of Pristina, Kosovo to Skopje, Macedonia during the "troubles" there in 2004.
Bitka Sve Rešava!
NEVER SACRIFICE SECURITY FOR SPEED!
B-2-10 SFG(A)/ A-2-11 SFG(A) 1977-1994

My INCH Bag
My Ultimate Altoid Tin
My Bug-In Solar Lights
My Wilderness Ditch Kit

MacAttack

Post by MacAttack » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 pm

ODA 226 wrote:I bugged out of Pristina, Kosovo to Skopje, Macedonia during the "troubles" there in 2004.

Now that is a Bug Out.

zenlunatic

Post by zenlunatic » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:23 pm

Yup.

Before Sandy I left my house in the City to my folks house in the County. Crisis averted. It was far from a survival-novel, but if things got thick in the City, I would be long gone.

Wyoming Rat

Post by Wyoming Rat » Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:11 pm

I lived in PA at the time of the 3 Mile Island incident. I was in 2nd grade and remember being able to see the cooling towers from the school playground. It was a scarey time. Sirens going off utter chaos. My dad, a machinist, said "f-this, there's plenty of work out west" and we bugged out permanently. To Wyoming.
"When you need it, and don't have it, you sing a different tune" -Burt Gummer

ZH10950
ZS Donor
ZS Donor
Favorite Zombie Movies: Yes.

Post by ZH10950 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:45 pm

I bugged out after Sandy hit. I left with a 16 month old baby, a four and a half year old boy and I was not prepared. We had no power, no heat and it was freezing...it was safer leaving and because my kids are so young it was safer leaving.

Once we got settled back into the house I thought of all the things I wish I'd brought before I left. Everything is now ready to go! Never again...
"The people you are after are the people you depend on: we cook your meals, we haul your trash, we connect your calls, we drive your ambulances, we guard you while you sleep. Do not f*** with us." - Tyler Durden

DarkandShiny
ZS Member
ZS Member
Favorite Zombie Movies: I'm pretty pedestrian:
Zombieland, Shawn of the Dead etc.

Post by DarkandShiny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:35 pm

Once we got settled back into the house I thought of all the things I wish I'd brought before I left. Everything is now ready to go! Never again...
It is interesting to see that many people on this forum have had experiences with "emergent situations", and the phrase "never again" is something that resonates with me.

I was evacuated during the San Diego Wildfires of 2007 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_20 ... _wildfires

My wife and I have two small children and we were utterly unprepared. Clothing, food, water, personal documents, everything that is really important and necessary - we had none of it.... for three days. We were completely dependent upon the Red Cross (I contribute to the charity frequently) and while they took good care of us, I hated the fact that I was reliant upon others for the well being, safety, and survival of my family.

I will "Never Again" be found unprepared.

Return to “Contingency Planning & Preparation”